PDA

View Full Version : Original Art Trading Card Project

judithj
08-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Did anyone ever collect trading cards as kids?

Ever wonder what it would be like to make and trade original art in the form of 'trading cards.'

I was thinking that it would be kind of fun to have a project where we could trade art cards - I mean if you made a miniature work of art - 4" x 6" - vertical and gave it a half inch boarder or something (just some consistent format that was agreeable to most folks)

You could post your art card and let it be known that it was available for trade. If someone else had a card that you liked, you may like to trade the one you made for the one you want - you know the way it worked when we were kids - if a trade was agreed upon - the traders would just mail the cards to each other... it would be fun to see how many cards you could collect from all the different artists.

4" x 6" would be a fun size to use cause you could use all the different books or boxes on the market for photos to organize your collection.

It would be a project that could just be open and you could participate as you had cards to trade.

Do you think that this is a viable project idea?

All thoughts and comments muchly appreciated.

Let me know what you think.

Warmest Regards, Judith

DanaT
08-01-2003, 07:55 PM
I think its an intriguing idea judith. I'm thinking that people's feelings would get hurt if no one wanted their card, though. :( The trading seems like half the fun.

judithj
08-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by DanaT
I think its an intriguing idea judith. I'm thinking that people's feelings would get hurt if no one wanted their card, though. :( The trading seems like half the fun.

Yes - I though of that too - I wouldn't want anyone's feelings to be hurt, I don't know a way around that.

In some ways trading art cards would be like a miniature art market. And as we all know - feelings get hurt in the real art market. I suspect it could be a real learning experience in that regard.

I've been researching collectors and trying to understand them - I thought becoming an art collector could help to understand art collectors.

This idea was partly inspired by the illustrated journal project - I am so excited about that project. Trading art...

judithj
08-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Perhaps you could trade not just cards you made - but any card in your collection.

DanaT
08-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Well we have the swap shop and the bargain basement forums that kinda serve that purpose but we can see if a project of this type draws interest. We'll watch this thread to gauge interest.

PS I'm so glad you like the Illustrated Journal project. I do think the sharing is fun!

And thanks for thinking up a future project idea! :)

judithj
08-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Well we have the swap shop and the bargain basement forums

We do??? holey moley - I didn't even know - I'll have to go looking for them - where are they?

Trading cards - what is it about trading cards?

-Judith

DanaT
08-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Here :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=82

Actually they swap mostly supplies in the Swap Shop and they sell their work in the Bargain Basement but I wonder what would happen if you posted an Art Card for trade in the Swap Shop?

judithj
08-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Here :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=82

Actually they swap mostly supplies in the Swap Shop and they sell their work in the Bargain Basement but I wonder what would happen if you posted an Art Card for trade in the Swap Shop?

I'm in heaven - I'm in heaven!!!!! I found the garage sale!!!!:D

I'll have to try posting a card there and see if anyone is into swapping.

I'm still kind of stuck on trading cards - having some consistency in size - I guess I could say in my swap post that I would like to swap for a work of the same size.... ida no.

Trading cards have information and stories on the back.... Hmmmm

Thanks Dana for the link.

-jj

judithj
08-02-2003, 07:21 AM
I have a collection of my own colour pencil drawings in this size - they are on 4" x 6" Stonehenge paper - the actual little drawings are 2 3/8 x 5. I got the box from my sister for my birthday - it is a box intended for photographs but I just started poping my drawings into it.

I originally started to make these drawings cause I was going to sell them on e-bay - only I have not gotten around to figuring out how it works...

Well - the truth be know... I am kind of at odds with letting go of them. Especially the dragons.

Every once in a while I will open this little box and go through the drawings...

It is my little treasure trove.

-Judith

DanaT
08-02-2003, 07:56 AM
How beautiful! judith! Could they be used as a set of postcards?

Stoy Jones
08-02-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm somewhat new here, although I have read the posts often. I saw this thread and had to comment. I like the idea and would likely take part in it if something like a new channel were set up for it.

I do agree about some of the "emotional" aspects tied to it. Personaly I wouldn't mind if my stuff wasn't tradable. I just find the idea of having a piece of someone elses personal talent and vision to look at and hold with a minimal amount of marketing and shipping headaches, interesting.

I like those drawings Judithj! I am inspired to try working in that size. I see for myself a lot of potential ideas like keeping my sketches more portable and storable that will cut down my clutter as well as the ease of posting them at my drawingboard when working on a project. Thanks!

Stoy Jones

Keith Russell
08-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Good afternoon.

I, too, like the idea of trading cards, especially the formal guidelines as to size and format.

This could be a great way to try out new ideas, techniques, etc., and get others' input, opinions, etc.--even if that was only due to the speed with which such cards were traded.

Anyway, I'd participate, if this was made into a formal project...

K

Tamana
08-03-2003, 08:14 PM
I love yours JJ!!! Count me in. :) I love to give things away anyway -- and admire so many here. To have just a small piece of them, beginning with you, would honor me. :)

Thanks again. :D

judithj
08-03-2003, 08:20 PM
HI Dana - Thanks for your kind words! I guess that they could be used as postcards. See no reason why not.

Thanks for your kind words Stoy and Keith, and for your interest and taking the time to post. I love working small - it makes it so easy to get things done fast. Easy storage is very important. Only so much room for all this stuff. It is my pleasure to share. I think that a collection needs some sort of consistency and perhaps working little like this would make the project doable.

Warmest Regards, Judith

judithj
08-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Tamana
I love yours JJ!!! Count me in. :) I love to give things away anyway -- and admire so many here. To have just a small piece of them, beginning with you, would honor me. :)

Thanks again. :D

Thanks Tamara

I would be honoured to have a work of yours in my collection too.

-jj

marc
08-03-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm not quite sure if I understand this.. would we be swapping original art like those cards you made? They're ultra super cute, I'd be very hesitant to trade originals like that away.. They're a bit like the Clare Maddicott cards I tend to use for most of my letters http://www.maddicott.com/contents.htm - and I would not hesitate to pick up prints of those of yours if I found them in a store :)

If we are talking prints it would be different, but then I suppose the whole art collecting feel goes down the pipe..?

Personally I don't have anything to offer either way I'm afraid, the only half decent stuff I can do is on the computer, and my photo printer is broken :/

judithj
08-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by marc
I'm not quite sure if I understand this.. would we be swapping original art like those cards you made? They're ultra super cute, I'd be very hesitant to trade originals like that away.. They're a bit like the Clare Maddicott cards I tend to use for most of my letters http://www.maddicott.com/contents.htm - and I would not hesitate to pick up prints of those of yours if I found them in a store :)

If we are talking prints it would be different, but then I suppose the whole art collecting feel goes down the pipe..?

Personally I don't have anything to offer either way I'm afraid, the only half decent stuff I can do is on the computer, and my photo printer is broken :/

Marc - Thanks for your kind words! You honour me. The idea was to swap original art, but I think that prints would be OK to swap too. - I guess we don't have to limit it to originals. I think that if we were to swap prints, that the artist would perhaps have to make a limited edition and sign each one and let everyone know how many prints would be made.... Just like the way they do it in the real art market.

Sorry to hear that your printer is broken. If you wanted to trade a print of your digital art - perhaps you could find a friend with a working printer to print off a few for you...

Thanks for your comments.

-Judith

Tamana
08-03-2003, 09:04 PM
((((marc)))) What do you mean by "the only half decent stuff I can do is on the computer"?!?

I've seen your work in abs/cont & sketches. It's wonderful!!

I don't see a problem with prints if that's what everyone else wishes to do, or, it can be an original. Just let me know. :)

judithj
08-03-2003, 09:27 PM
((((marc)))) What do you mean by "the only half decent stuff I can do is on the computer"?!?

I've seen your work in abs/cont & sketches. It's wonderful!!

I don't see a problem with prints if that's what everyone else wishes to do, or, it can be an original. Just let me know. :)

Perhaps we could do both - prints and originals, prints or originals - what ever you like.

Marc - your drawing is amazing - that tree was so beautiful - perhaps if you like to do a few trades, you could do a few mini trees....

:D :D :D

-Judith

Tamana
08-03-2003, 09:30 PM
:D Twees

I'm for originals with maybe a limited no. of prints? That way, someone who doesn't get an original still has a shot at a print? I have no idea what I'm saying. lol

marc
08-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks gals ;)

I have a very very long way to go with my drawing though.. made perfectly evident by all the people on here who really know their stuff. It's my own fault for not being persistent enough. Still looking for something new to be my inspirational source I guess.

I don't know anyone with a good photo printer, but I could probably try sending stuff to a print shop, although colour corrections are tricky that way.

I do want to draw more trees, they just take me so long.. if I was a snail I would be slowest snail on the block :D

Either way I do think it's a cool project and I'll try to be part of it if I can make anything.

Tamana
08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Yay Marc!!! I have my little cardboard canvases ready to go!!!

Celeste2
08-05-2003, 01:05 PM
I stumbled across this interesting site and have been participating for a while. It has really been fun! You never know what is going to be in your mailbox.

It is mainly geared toward photography, but I have received several computer art pieces that have a photography basis. Maybe its a format that could be applied to "art" postcards or trading cards.

There is no standard size for the cards on this list, so I have received 4x6" and 5x7' cards as well as other sizes.

Its worth checking out!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hmpi/

:)Celeste

judithj
08-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Celeste2
I stumbled across this interesting site and have been participating for a while. It has really been fun! You never know what is going to be in your mailbox.
:)Celeste

Hi Celeste!

Welcome to Wet Canvas!!!!!!

That is a very interesting link - and an interesting approach to trading. Very serendipitous.

Thanks!

Warmest Regards, Judith

marc
08-19-2003, 07:01 PM
*bump*

I don't have any cards to do anything with or anything yet, I'm just bumping this up so others can join in while I get my act together ;)

Adrienne
08-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Hey Judith,

I loved the little cards you showed -- I especially like the one on the right with a heart in it.

I'd trade one of my greeting cards for it. I have over 30 in print and they are very high quality. I use inks and paper that are designed to outlast traditional photos. Of course, I print my artwork on them, both full paintings and details. I do all the work myself and I'm a perfectionist...

The only thing is I don't want to lift your original from you -- can you make prints?

I'd love to trade with you, if you would like...

Let me know what you think :)

arriviste
08-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Has anyone seen this site? ARTIST TRADING CARDS : A COLLABORATIVE CULTURAL PERFORMANCE (http://www.artist-trading-cards.ch/index.htm).

I've thought about joining up for awhile...just never got a set together. I'm not sure if the site author is still involved or not.

A Google search turns up quite a few hits, too. [link (http://tinyurl.com/kk01)]

marc
08-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Looks much like Judith's idea, except that it requires people to meet in person.. so the main purpose is the actual meeting, and not the trading. I'm thinking about trying to get a printshop to do a couple for me, but I have no control over colours then.. Also, I do kinda like the idea of trading small originals, I'll just have to pick myself up to do that.

Adrienne
08-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Please do Marc. I think they'd print to your specifications. In other words, most would be willing to do some test prints first to get the color right.

I'm thinking if you didn't want to do the whole nightmarish color management thing, how about taking a screen shot, putting it on disk, taking it in, looking at it on their screen, adjusting their brightness and contrast if necessary (on their monitor), and telling them, "there, that's what it should look like."

I know it sounds archaic, but it might just be crazy enough to work (in lieu of having a print to take in and show them what the colors should match up with).

Option #2 would be to let me print a few up for you, if you trust me not to ever rip you off, sell your work, misuse your work, etc. That could be our trade, if you're interested. I could print up one for myself, and several for you to give out, and send 'em back to you. The trade would be that I'd get to keep one, and you'd get a few very high-quality prints to keep, sell or trade. I would also absolutely swear to delete the file from my hard drive when finished. And I would absolutely swear I would never sell or give away your work, or rip it off or copy it in any way other than what we might both agree to for this trade.

What do you think?

arriviste
08-19-2003, 10:52 PM
A digital printing service may have a calibration kit to give customers. It might include a graphic file, a print of that file, and a color profile to apply to your images.

The screenshot idea could work, provided the same color profiles are used in the file. Most places probably wouldn't take kindly to clients adjusting a (hopefully) calibrated screen that matches their print output. ;)

[edit for awkwardness]

Bendaini
08-19-2003, 11:25 PM
Judith,

Those cards are BEAUTIFUL. There are ways of getting around actually giving them up.

You could get them printed as sets of post cards and sell them that way, they are so cute I would bet you could find a nice place to sell them.
Or you could sell prints, and cards. If you didn't want to print them yourself you could always put them up on a sight like Zazzle. Some people do well on there, others...
Cafe press has gotten some good sellers too. It all depends on advertising and who sees it I think...

I do like the art trade idea. It sounds a lot like the post card projects. People signed up and everyone got a post card who was on the list... Worked out well that way.

You could do it that way with the trading cards. I think they are a bit smaller then post cards. Or you could start up a new post card thread...

Adrienne
08-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Arriviste: "Most places probably wouldn't take kindly to clients adjusting a (hopefully) calibrated screen that matches their print output."

I understand what you are saying, but it would depend on the printshop.

The brightness and contrast knobs are easy to return to their earlier percentages on some monitors. You just make a note of each setting, then change it, then change it back (on some monitors).

Actually, though, I was thinking that this could be done on a monitor associated with their business computer rather than their actual graphic/artwork printing computer. Then it would have no impact on their other clients' work, and would simply be a quick and easy way to handle this one situation. They'd compare a print to the biz monitor's version, go back and make color corrections if necessary, and voila.

Important to this discussion: I should add that the sparcities that I've been talking to Marc about trading on a couple of threads today are not complex in terms of color. They are beautiful in their simplicity, but don't have color variations or difficult color matches. That's another reason I felt it might just be simpler to bypass all the calibrating and color profiling and etc., etc., etc.... in this particular case anyway. Seems like a lot of really unnecessary stuff to go through for a trade of this particular item, which is so very simple yet so beautiful to me.

Adrienne
08-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Arriviste and Marc,

Just to elaborate a little on the simplistic screenshot idea:

Here is one of Marc's sparcities that I would love to trade for:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110695

I think that the screenshot idea might work for that one because it only has one color (oops, the sig makes two). So in an effort to undig Marc's heels, I was thinking of this one.

As much as I love the one above, I love this one even more:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105660

However, it has subtle color and texture variation that would probably require a better answer than the screenshot suggestion I posted earlier.

Anyway, in trying to talk Marc into a trade, I was seeking the simplest possible solution...

...might not be an adequate solution though...

:crying:

judithj
08-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Adrienne
Hey Judith,

I loved the little cards you showed -- I especially like the one on the right with a heart in it.

I'd love to trade with you, if you would like...

Let me know what you think :)

Hi Adrienne!

I just donated that original to a charity's silent auction. I don't think that anyone even put a bid on it... I will see if I can get it back.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I did an art festival on the weekend and the power outage caused my operating system grief and it was crashing so I had to re-install the OS and, well you know the story...

Thanks for your kind words.

I am so busy right now - several clients need stuff this week and I am going a little crazy.

Looks like there is interest in trading - I wonder if we should set up a project or see if we could just start trading stuff in this thread.

I was thinking that if you post a little image of the cards you have for trade in here - then folks can contact you with a PM to negotiate the trade and exchange addresses.

Do you think that would work?

Warmest Regards, Judith

judithj
08-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Bendaini
Judith,

Those cards are BEAUTIFUL. There are ways of getting around actually giving them up.

You could do it that way with the trading cards. I think they are a bit smaller then post cards. Or you could start up a new post card thread...

Hi Bendaini!

I didn't know about the postcard thread. I actually sold one of the cards at my art fair, I traded one for a hand made purse, and I gave one to the silent auction.... I did experience some anxiety about not having them the night the art festival was over. And sorrow now about not having them in my little box.

I have been so busy working on large acrylic paintings that I have become rusty with my colour pencils. I am having a solo exhibition starting September 15th and I have just been so VERY busy trying to get enough stuff to show.

Working large is a great way to fill up wall space fast. I am working in a diptych right now - each canvas is 31" x 36" - it is a diptych called 'One.'

I will be working on small pencil stuff for a break when I get the show done.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and I will definitely be checking out the 'Zazzle' site.

Warmest Regards, Judith

Adrienne
08-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Judith,

It's great to hear that you are having such success with your art, and are so busy :D :D :D Very cool!

"I was thinking that if you post a little image of the cards you have for trade in here - then folks can contact you with a PM to negotiate the trade and exchange addresses."

Well, my recent paintings are posted here on Wet Canvas, although, of course, the quality of the file is lower than in real life, and the images were all WIPs and have changed somewhat. For example, the final version of "Lamentation" is on the 2nd page of the "Reflection" thread, and "Passion" has changed in that the "fur" at the top has been painted over somewhat and the name has changed, etc., etc., etc...

The images on the cards though are gallery quality, I'm told, and I've chosen the inks and papers with longevity in mind -- they are designed to outlast traditional photo processing methods.

So Judith, just click on the profile button to get to my threads. That would be enough to go on for a simple trade. I certainly don't want to bore everyone with 50+- images of all my cards and seals and so on. And for trading, everything is basically up for trade, as long as it is in fun, and those I'm trading with understand that all my work is copyrighted and may not be reproduced except by me.

I really think this would be fun and hope to participate if something gets going...

Bendaini
08-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi Judith,

I was looking... I love that baby dragon with the eggs.... Still have it?

I'd love to trade if I had something you liked...

kierska
08-20-2003, 07:00 PM
hi Judith!

this is a GREAT idea, and I think you should bring it into the "projects" area! I'm sure lots of people will participate- with originals or prints- just have everyone tell in their final description how many they have of each print to trade- then we can PM each other for addresses. Maybe we could just start a thread here to tell each other when we're "sold out"...

We did annual printmaking and photo swaps at my alma mater- and I have some wonderful art to show for it! I even found some gorgeous clear pine frames at K-mart (of all places!) for $3 each, matted and framed the prints, and now my house will look like a gallery!!

looking forward to participating!!

judithj
08-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Hi Judith,

I was looking... I love that baby dragon with the eggs.... Still have it?

I'd love to trade if I had something you liked...

Hi Bendaini!

Thanks for your kind words!

I do not have the original any more, but I have a digital file - I if you like we could trade prints.

Do you have any prints?

Warmest Regards, Judith

judithj
08-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by kierska
hi Judith!

this is a GREAT idea, and I think you should bring it into the "projects" area! I'm sure lots of people will participate- with originals or prints- just have everyone tell in their final description how many they have of each print to trade- then we can PM each other for addresses. Maybe we could just start a thread here to tell each other when we're "sold

looking forward to participating!!

Thanks kierska!

I will set up a project shortly. Thanks everyone for participating.

Warmest Regards, Judith

judithj
08-20-2003, 08:18 PM
HI Adrienne!

Thanks for your kind wishes! I will go and check out your profile. I will try to get the lady with the heart back.

I am planning on going to set up the project this evening - although I have never set up a project so I hope that it is a thing that can be edited cause there will likely be all sorts of things that I will forget to mention.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Warmest Regards, Judith

Judith,

I really think this would be fun and hope to participate if something gets going...

marc
08-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Hey Adrienne :)

I didn't realize I was dragging my feet :confused: .. I was just saying I don't have a properly functioning printer, and I'm really slow with my drawing stuff so I haven't gotten around to putting some on cards..

Of course, those sparsities aren't much of a problem printerwise, I was more thinking of perhaps making some more complex stuff I could print. All my usual computer stuff is rather different from what I normally post on wetcanvas (but I can't print my old stuff for other reasons). I don't think anyone but you are interested in sparsities, but it's good to have a fan :D .. btw, that tree is rather low resolution, I just doodled it and didn't mean for it to be printed so I guess it would be a tiny print if anything.

Had to try another sparsity now that you bring them up again, didn't really work out though..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/21810-sparse-stream.jpg

Bendaini
08-20-2003, 08:29 PM
I think I could make a black and white print. Color is a bit of a problom, my computer doesnt seem to prosses scans and photos very well. If it's directly off the web it's great, but when I try to stick my color pictures in it just makes them grey or looses the color.... well except for my digi art which is right on the PC and I could trade you a JPG if you can print it, but I can't print color atm. No ink for it.

So... If you'd like a B&W print, that would be great. (My B&W's are better anyway ;) )

Lol, long explination but it's the truth.

And, the nice thing about getting a print... You can choose from any of my pictures at elfwood, or the others I have posted around...

judithj
08-20-2003, 10:03 PM
And, the nice thing about getting a print... You can choose from any of my pictures at elfwood, or the others I have posted around...

Thanks Bendaini, I will go and take a look.

Hope I can find that baby dragon file - I just backed up my files and dumped gigs of stuff - which is a good thing - till you need to figure out where everything is. Luckily I have a program that catalogs my archives - but it is still kind of daunting trying to keep track of it all.

I just created the 'Trading Art Cards' project. It should be up soon. I hope that the explanation that I wrote is clear. I hope that I can edit it if it is not.

Gotta go rescue my sweetheart from the Civilization computer game. We just got it a couple of weeks ago and he is becoming a bit caught up in the megalomania of it. ;)

Warmest Regards, Judith

Tamana
08-20-2003, 10:19 PM
I thought we were going to trade originals too? I am confuzzled now. :confused:

marc
08-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey Tam - I warmed up to the originals idea too like I said earlier, so don't be too confuzzled :D - I just don't have any originals to trade :rolleyes:

Judith - Civilization rocks - maybe if you get smitten by it too you and I can duel over the internet :D

Tamana
08-20-2003, 11:54 PM
you have twees.

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Marc: "Hey Adrienne I didn't realize I was dragging my feet ..

Hi Marc,

I didn't say you were dragging your feet :confused: :) I did mention something about your heels being dug in. :) That's because you've declined to trade for either "sparse woman" or "sparse golden upsidedown tree" (not sure of the actual titles of these).

Marc, it's cool... good enough to see your work here on Wet Canvas. I look forward to many more drawings and sparcities :)

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Judith: "I will try to get the lady with the heart back."

That would be wonderful, but if you can't no problem. I love all of the cards, and I love dragons if you have any of those -- like I said though, I'd rather trade for prints because it makes me very sad to think of the card set being broken up ( although it already has I guess :crying: )

I am planning on going to set up the project this evening -
I'm looking forward to participating. It should be interesting and fun.

Tamana
08-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Well, I guess I'm just being an old fogie or something, but the original intent (I thought) of this thread was to exchange original art with each other on a small scale (being card size or perhaps a tad larger etc.).

As far as prints, I mean you could print a copy of anything posted here onto disc or whatever and take it to a printers to have it printed, yes?

I still intend on doing originals on a small scale, each being different and unique reflecting how I see each of you (that I know). :) I'll post them here and anyone who wishes to make one into a print may feel free to do so.

One of the purposes of doing this (again, I thought), was to exchange a piece of one another. Maybe I misunderstood - no biggie though. :)

marc
08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Tamtam: I have two (2) twees, one on cheap printer paper, one in my sketch pad, neither on tradable cards. :p Like I said I'm slooooowwwww, I just tried to do my part to keep this thread going (which I think worked since I was the one restarting it ;)), then mebbe I could get something done in the meantime..

The whole prints thing is a little more complicated than that I guess.. some of us do most on the computer and there's no original then, the closest you can come is to make a print, sign it in hand, and destroy the master file. Also, if you just print out stuff you see on wetcanvas it'll be tiny resolution or blurry because a computer monitor makes each pixel much larger than the printer does. Also, you wouldn't get a signature or edition number.. just like with all other art prints.

Adrienne: If I declined to trade anything I've posted here it's been without my knowledge :confused: ... I just said I had printer issues. I can send you the larger files of course (although don't think I have it for the tree), but then I can't sign them on the back and stuff :eek:

Hey, maybe I have one more sparsity (another lowres) that you haven't seen.. looking.. tadaa!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2003/21810-shower-wc.jpeg

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Tam: "One of the purposes of doing this (again, I thought), was to exchange a piece of one another."
Yes, that's how I see it too, but to me it makes more sense to do this on a case by case basis, especially since many people on Wet Canvas, myself included, paint in such a way that no original exists, as Marc mentioned above.

Also, even though I really love your collages Tam, and Judith's cards that she showed us, I just feel like I want them to stay together, so I only want a print... I'm sure this must be personal issues creeping in (the keeping of things together, etc) but that's the way I feel, for some reason I don't fully understand. I don't want to take one of your collages, for example, away from it's sisters, but I'd love to trade for a print of one. :)

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Marc: "Adrienne: If I declined to trade anything I've posted here it's been without my knowledge"
I'm sorry Marc, I'm all left feet (or typing fingers) or something... I just felt like I suggested a few things and it didn't seem like you took me up on them so I didn't want to push you or anything... I apologize for not following our conversation very well... My fault.

I would love to trade at any time you want to, and in whatever way you feel good about -- signing on the back would be way cool... just let me know when and what and I'm game. I've got plenty of prints of any of my work that you've seen here in stock and ready to go to Denmark. And I've mentioned which ones of yours I'm most interested in, so just let me know if you see a way to do this at some point that works for you... :)

marc
08-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Hey, what's this, now I've posted two new thingies in this thread, and not a single comment? Are they that bad? :o :D

I'm just a bit slow at replying sometimes.. btw, don't you have a website or something showing all your prints? I've only seen a couple here, whaddabout all the rest? ;) Again, the tree is very low res, so it prolly won't look good printed..

Tamana
08-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Marc!! Nope - terrific!! I love your minimalistic style. I'm not sure if I would like to have something like this OR a twee!!!! Or both :evil:

I think I will do you something on tree fungus, Marc...and before you freak out...there is a thread entitled: "Floating" in abs that is done with tree fungus...lol. Thing is, although it's treated etc, I am unsure if your country will allow it in!!! I'll have to check on that!!

Also, even though I really love your collages Tam, and Judith's cards that she showed us, I just feel like I want them to stay together, so I only want a print... I'm sure this must be personal issues creeping in (the keeping of things together, etc) but that's the way I feel, for some reason I don't fully understand. I don't want to take one of your collages, for example, away from it's sisters, but I'd love to trade for a print of one.

Adrienne: It's the process of creating that I hold precious, not the actual creation. Yes I love my creations and they are a part of me; however, it's the process of (vs. the product of), that's important to me. I have given most of mine away, so there is nothing to stay together. The production of beauty (to me) is for the purpose of the distribution of beauty to enhance the world.

What I have a problem with, is prints of my art. I mean anyone here is welcome to "print" anything off and keep it; however, I don't plan on ever producing prints. To me, it's the 'actual' creation not a reproduction that holds meaning.

The reason I agreed to do this was to exchange originals on a small scale. If that has changed to prints then I will graciously withdraw. No problem. :)

As I said:

I still intend on doing originals on a small scale, each being different and unique reflecting how I see each of you (that I know). I'll post them here and anyone who wishes to make one into a print may feel free to do so.

If you do not wish one....I understand. :)

judithj
08-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by marc
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/21810-sparse-stream.jpg

Marc, This is beautiful - love the colours...:D

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Marc: "Hey, what's this, now I've posted two new thingies in this thread, and not a single comment? Are they that bad?

I'm just a bit slow at replying sometimes.. btw, don't you have a website or something showing all your prints? I've only seen a couple here, whaddabout all the rest?"
See, this is what I'm saying. I'm just completely clueless lately. Can't keep track of what I've commented on, can't say the right thing to save myself. My apologies. My only excuse this morning is that I need to be asleep right now, but I can't because I have to be somewhere in an hour so basically, I'm trying to stay awake by reading Wet Canvas. Isn't working very well though :crying:

Anyway, yes, the sparcities are very cool!!! :D They couldn't be otherwise. The tree looks like a vector sparcity and the one you just posted looks like she had too much to drink on New Year's Eve and accidentally lost her clothes, but doesn't care!!! ;)

As for a website, well, I have an empty one that I bought from Wet Canvas thinking (cluelessly again) that this was the method of contributing financially that they preferred. One of these days, though, I intend to design it -- not yet though. That is several points down the plan page.

You say you've only seen a couple of my images but I have a distinct recollection of you traipsing about looking up my stuff, and both commenting on, and criticizing, all but one or two of them. I gained a great deal from your meaningful comments, and our discussions about art. It's true that only my recent work is here, and it's also true that the details I've chosen are not, but this is just a simple trade and we should be able to make due with what you've seen of my work, if there's anything you're remotely interested in. If you wouldn't want to trade for any of the ones you've seen, you probably wouldn't want to trade for any of the others either :)

If I remember right, I've got 8 images up here on Wet Canvas, not counting the study of Windy's eye (which is not for sale, and isn't a finished piece anyway).

I hope I'm saying all this coherently [she said wandering off to scrounge for caffeine] :o

judithj
08-21-2003, 11:07 AM
What I have a problem with, is prints of my art. I mean anyone here is welcome to "print" anything off and keep it; however, I don't plan on ever producing prints. To me, it's the 'actual' creation not a reproduction that holds meaning.

Hey Tam

I think I would like to clarify with you this print issue. Collecting is a very personal process. Some folks like prints, some like originals. I am just hoping to give individual collectors the scope to define their own collection.

For instance - if you would like to only trade originals - well just let everyone know that you only trade originals.

If you would rather trade prints - let it be known that you only trade prints.

It is up to the traders to agree on the trade - Print traders will trade with print traders and originals traders will trade originals. It is all up to you.

Actually I set up the project last night and now I think that it would be good if we let each other know what type of trades we would like to make...

Hope this is clear.

-Judith

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Tam: "Adrienne: It's the process of creating that I hold precious, not the actual creation."
I love what you've said here Tam. It's really neat how you feel about your artwork. No wonder it is so cool and innovative and beautiful.

Tam: " The reason I agreed to do this was to exchange originals on a small scale. If that has changed to prints then I will graciously withdraw."
I think people are just talking here. We're discussing all the possibilities. For me, it simply isn't within the realm of possibility, in this particular plane of existence, to trade an original because none exist of my work. That is the nature of my chosen process. I love the process of art very much as you do I think, but the actual result does not generate an original. Therefore, I can't trade one. Yet I still wish to trade with you if you are willing to be a little flexible on the issue, and if you would enjoy something of mine in exchange for something of yours... we could structure a trade any way that you like, if you're interested, except with regards an original coming from me. They simply don't exist in digital art, and all my sketching, drawing, doodling, painting, pasteling, inking, and charcoaling -- all of it -- are done digitally.

Originally, this was a health and environmental choice on my part, but I've fallen in love with the process, and have extended it to making new brushes for almost everything I do... I love everything about painting and sketching, printing and designing products -- the whole kit and kaboodle. I treasure every moment I spend with my artwork, and think of each painting, and all the little baby paintings that the larger paintings produce (via details), as my children...

Bottom line, I'd enjoy sharing something I lovingly created with you, and, in turn, receive something you lovingly created... if you want to...

judithj
08-21-2003, 11:23 AM

I think people are just talking here. We're discussing all the possibilities. For me, it simply isn't within the realm of possibility, in this particular plane of existence, to trade an original because none exist of my work.

Hi Adrienne

You could possibly work out limited edition prints... If you sign and number each one and make very small print runs - it would make your work more.... collectible cause there would be only a small number of prints in existence.

-judith

marc
08-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by judithj

Marc, This is beautiful - love the colours...:D

Judith - oh shaddup!! :D .. mebbe I'll give this another go, I like the idea, just need to make it flow better..

Adrienne - she's showering in rose leaves (or rosť wine, it's debatable), it came from some crazy thread.. where I'm still supposed to create a shower scene that I haven't gotten around to yet.. I've seen what you've posted on here, but like you said, many of them were changed later and such.. also, if you have 50 it'd be cool to see them, you could just upload small versions like thumbnails or something to your site.. Of course I wanna trade, that's why I'm in this thread :D - I just still dunno how to make prints (cos if you print them then I can't sign them and then it loses the personality part somewhat).

Tamtam - I'm thinking that if it's only the process that's important to you, not the product, then should it matter to you whether it's an original or a print? I know it matters to me, but then I also care about the end result a great deal :) .. btw.. I love prints - without prints I wouldn't have a huge blown up version of Hokusai's Wave on the wall next to me. I could never afford to get any of the, ahem, original prints(!) (rofl at the irony here! (I assume you know japanese woodcuts)), and even if I could the fact that this is much larger in scale because its blown up actually gives it more oomph in some ways. Summin' to think about ;)

Oh! Tree fungus! I don't see why it shouldn't be importable to here, we have plenty to share :D - and don't worry about anyone stopping it, if you send me anything just declare it as 'artwork' and it'll pass right through.

Now, ladies, if you'll 'scuse me I'm a-gonna go doodle a birch stub outside :)

Adrienne
08-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Judith: " You could possibly work out limited edition prints... If you sign and number each one and make very small print runs - it would make your work more.... collectible cause there would be only a small number of prints in existence."
Yes Judith, you're right. And that is already in the plan -- in fact, it is the next thing on the plan, but I don't have the money for the correct paper or the framing that the galleries are asking me to provide. In due time.

In the meantime, I'm doing well selling these very high-quality prints on cards. I've really put a great deal of effort into this -- print testing, paper testing, ink testing, etc. -- and the people who've bought them have been very pleased and surprised actually that what I produce is even possible. (People tend to touch the cards because they are so true to life that they sense they should be able to actually feel the strokes and roughness of the paint in several cases.)

One thing I've done, in addition to the details that I chose from the paintings, is collage several details together to form a new image. I have a series of those as well as the full paintings and the details. It is so much fun to do these. It is really cool to see the new tiny painting pop out when I cut it (in Photoshop), and then arrange them into something totally new. A couple of my paintings that are not as appealing as full paintings produce really cool details. To me, it isn't even like it's mine sometimes -- it's more like I'm a witness. I get just as excited over other people's beautiful work as my own -- it's a rich and vibrant universe we share with each other :D

MEBrooks
09-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm a new member to this site. I really love the idea of trading small pieces of artwork. I agree that if a person wants only to trade originals and another wants to trade prints, it should be fine as long as the members agree to the trade under whatever arrangements are desired by both. I like the uniform size and border. Also, this size artwork is often created for cards or postcards, but we would always hope that the receiver of such a card would frame the work, right? Size shouldn't diminish the value of art. If prints are made from an original, no reason both original and prints couldn't be available for trade, right? Of course it would be expected that the original would probably be traded with another original or a limited or hard to get print. Am I close to what we are talking about? I would like to participate. Has anyone started trading yet? By the way, I think this is better than a SWAP because with a trade, everyone will be assured that they receive something they like or they don't trade.

Adrienne
09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi MEBrooks and welcome to Wet Canvas!

JudithJ started a project over in the projects section called "Trading Art Cards." So far, there are 12 participants and 4 have posted finished entries. Several of us have traded. I'm trading prints (the only choice I have) but people with originals have been very flexible and have traded with me.

Here is the main project page:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=504

If you go down to the bottom left of the page, you'll see options to look at the gallery of finished works, and the gallery of progress works. TrinTheScribe has a very interesting series of progress images where she explains how she does her illuminated manuscript type work.

Here's the first page of the thread that is associated with the project. It's worth reading through, if you have time:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127339

Have fun, and I hope you join up. If you do, I also hope you'll introduce yourself on the thread and tell us about yourself and your artwork!!!

MEBrooks
09-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Thank you Adrienne.
You have some really nice items for trading. I'm just getting back into art after 18 years of "working in the corporate world". Finally getting that itch again. I do want to participate and I like the small size for now since I can't give up the day job. Perhaps this weekend I can get something together to submit and I'll get registered for the project.

Adrienne
09-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Thank you for your kind words MEB :D

I know what it's like to be away. I quit art for 25 years and spent part of that in the corporate life :(

I look forward to seeing your work and hope you'll join the project. I know how hard it can be to get started again though, so don't worry about producing anything -- just come and look around and chat, and the results will take care of themselves, I'm sure!!!