PDA

View Full Version : Greeeeennnns Helllllpppppp!!!!

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 12:34 PM
yeah me again, and them dang ...... Greens :mad: !!!

..... been doing this all day..... stopped....... fed up.... Grrrrrr .... got back ache, bum ache.... and the A*se ache now lolol....

anyone out there to help.......... mainly want help with the greens...... or anything that you think can improve on.... thanks for your time :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/12116-Frenchstilllife.jpg

I keep saying it........... but I must really get some bigger paper :)
.... this is 9 x 12 Artspectrum

I hate doing anything with Green :p :p

..... no guesses where this came from :D

Smudger
07-31-2003, 01:03 PM
OK...OK...I got your PM:D

Not sure how i can help tho'... i love the painting:clap:
Great light and composition:clap:

As for the greens, i usually start by laying in some dark blues and purples, then work over with a couple of greens and a couple of yellows, if you keep a light touch and let some of the dark show through it will fool the eye into seeing lots of different greens.

I like it as it is tho':D

Good to see you producing again:D

Dyin
07-31-2003, 01:26 PM
Green's not my thing either...that's why I do portraits! But, I think you have a very nice still life going here, but the green is too busy...you have all that gorgeous color in the picnic cloth and the background takes away from it and the objects arranged on it...just from a purely asthetic point of view and no knowledge base of green lol...I'd lose the whites and mostly use a very deep reddish green, to me the yellow and blue greens just don't work right...all that said...I really like the pieces in this...the balls are awesome...as is the glass and bottle...please post when you get it all sorted out!!!

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
ha .... ha..... Smudge.... ya a good lad ;) ..... lolol, well it was YOU who got me into this mess hee hee

...... erm, well I only have two purples.... both the same shade lol.... and they are too bright I think..... Blues I have are too bright, except a weird one ha ha ha

.... thanks Smudge....... will have to ponder :D

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dyin
Green's not my thing either...that's why I do portraits! But, I think you have a very nice still life going here, but the green is too busy...you have all that gorgeous color in the picnic cloth and the background takes away from it and the objects arranged on it...just from a purely asthetic point of view and no knowledge base of green lol...I'd lose the whites and mostly use a very deep reddish green, to me the yellow and blue greens just don't work right...all that said...I really like the pieces in this...the balls are awesome...as is the glass and bottle...please post when you get it all sorted out!!!

ohhh thanks Dyin, think you might be right there, and thats whats been bothering me..... too busy ..... yup agree with you there too, lol, .... green is NOT my thing either..... skin is so much easier lol...... dont have a good selection of greens and definately not a reddish green ....... will have a play around in psp and see what I can come up with

.... thanks again

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 03:18 PM
..... well I didnt have any of the necessary greens, as always.... so I decided to just smudge it all with my finger... and just added some colour on the top........ I am alot happier with this now :) ....... and it was definately too busy, and thats what was bothering me........ but couldnt put my finger on it.....
so thanks again Dyin.... spot on

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/12116-Frenchstilllife1.jpg

angeline
07-31-2003, 03:33 PM
OOOOOhh Dawn I like this......like the changes you have made...............but being a bit thick here where did you get it from?????????????? do you have a private supply of reference piccys? I'm sooooooo jealous!

Kathryn Wilson
07-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Dawn: That's exactly what this painting needed . . . it's what I would have suggested . . . by smudging colors together you put them to the background.

I like the composition and with this change, the painting is coming alive! I agree with you and Dyin about greens . . . very difficult when you don't have enough variety.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MKathleen
07-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi There--Just a thought on my part--I love to paint green things now--didn't exactly care for painting greens a while back. I think part of the problem is folks don't vary the color of greens they us in their paintings. Also the addition of red and orange can go a long way to adding life to a mostly green painting.
I think you really made progress by blending your background every thing looks more unified now.:clap:
Best,
Kathy:)

Dyin
07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
ALRIGHT!!! Think it helped loads!!! Much more interesting with this background! Just a lucky guess there, so can't take any credit...like I say...greens haven't been my thing! It sure did 'pop' the wine glass!!!!!

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by angeline
OOOOOhh Dawn I like this......like the changes you have made...............but being a bit thick here where did you get it from?????????????? do you have a private supply of reference piccys? I'm sooooooo jealous!

sorry Hayley..... I was meaning, from my holiday in France.. was thinking it was obvious lol with the Boules, Garlic and Vin lolol.... Id been snapping not typical holiday pics but ones for using hopefully for paintings.... sad or what ha ha ha

... am glad you like it :)

Dark_Shades
07-31-2003, 06:53 PM
many thanks Kat..... and MK too.... glad you liked it......

think I will prob leave this alone now, and wait for bigger paper to work on.... would like to really try out the material and pattern more..... this is too small to go into detail..... well lol, at least I know how to handle the background next time ;)

... not sure that Ive done a wine bottle before, and definately not metal..... so was a nice challenge and practise piece

.... thanks all

rd2ruin
07-31-2003, 07:09 PM
Good call on the busy-ness of the greens.

That's a lot on 9x12. Of course I would've said smudge it. Never met a background I didn't like to smudge :D

Looks nice, and has a lot of depth now.

Cheers!
- Greg

Redsy333
07-31-2003, 10:51 PM
GEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHH girl!!
If ya think GREEN...You shoulda thought RED!!! HAHA:D
(Frogs are Green and REDsy always paints greens)
Red tones down with green yet gives it spunk!
So glad you added it, and the smudgin looks way better..was going to say that, then saw ya got it in!!;) Way better!!

jackiesimmonds
08-01-2003, 04:39 AM
Dawn - it's a bit late in the day, as you have probably put this one aside, having improved it to your satisfaction....but nevertheless perhaps you will do another one day and maybe this might help a bit.

I have found that using the colour rule of sunlight = warm greens, and therefore shadows = cool green, the only time I use yellowy greens is where the sunlight hits the foliage. Everywhere else, I use loads of blues in with the greens, and sometimes some cool and warm reds for dark depths in amongst the foliage, to hint at earth and branches etc. I too dislike certain greens - particularly yellow and ochre-y greens, I think they are yukky, and much prefer sharper, bluer greens.

Smudging the foliage certainly helped to take away some of the "busy-ness", and is a strategy which helps to push things back in a picture, but it does leave you with something which looks a little like fabric, rather than a mass of foliage. Some suggestions of leaf shapes, and some variety of tone in specific areas, could take away that fabric look. Sunlight often flickers onto individual leaves; dark shapes appear in amongst the leaves if you screw up your eyes; cool blues appear too, where leaves reflect the sky.
Also ... compositionally speaking ...That mass of foliage is more than just a mass of foliage in pictorial terms....it is also a large "negative shape" area of the rectangle, and some shapes within it, which relate in some way to the other shapes in the picture, could be helpful.
It is difficult to scan a small trannie, but maybe this might help:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-garden_table_with_red.jpg

As you can see, it "leans" towards lots of blue int he foliage (tho it isn't a wonderful colour reproduction, I have to say) and there is some suggestion of lights and darks, and different shapes in there too. They aren't strong compositional shapes, but then that area is well back in the picture, and the main shapes (curving forms) which echo each other are in the table, the chair, and the shadows. I started the foliage areas with loads of side strokes of blues and greens, blended in some places to knock it back, and then "suggested" leafy shapes over the top in a variety of tones, and shape sizes. You cannot see it in this trannie, but I really haven't painted individual leaves - they are just little v-shapes, which change size, and direction! There is one darker area top left, and also below a lighter patch of larger leaves, which creates a subtle curve and helps to break up that patch of foliage.

Jackie

nougat
08-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Nice pastel Dawn - and I've learnt a whole lot about greens through this thread!!

Especially from Jackie - thanks

nadine

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Redsy333
GEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHH girl!!
If ya think GREEN...You shoulda thought RED!!! HAHA:D
(Frogs are Green and REDsy always paints greens)
Red tones down with green yet gives it spunk!
So glad you added it, and the smudgin looks way better..was going to say that, then saw ya got it in!!;) Way better!!

nice to see you back greg.... thanks

... Grrrrrrr now why didnt I think to call upon the 'Green Queen' lolol - thanks Redsy

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
Dawn - it's a bit late in the day, as you have probably put this one aside, having improved it to your satisfaction....but nevertheless perhaps you will do another one day and maybe this might help a bit.

I have found that using the colour rule of sunlight = warm greens, and therefore shadows = cool green, the only time I use yellowy greens is where the sunlight hits the foliage. Everywhere else, I use loads of blues in with the greens, and sometimes some cool and warm reds for dark depths in amongst the foliage, to hint at earth and branches etc. I too dislike certain greens - particularly yellow and ochre-y greens, I think they are yukky, and much prefer sharper, bluer greens.

Smudging the foliage certainly helped to take away some of the "busy-ness", and is a strategy which helps to push things back in a picture, but it does leave you with something which looks a little like fabric, rather than a mass of foliage. Some suggestions of leaf shapes, and some variety of tone in specific areas, could take away that fabric look. Sunlight often flickers onto individual leaves; dark shapes appear in amongst the leaves if you screw up your eyes; cool blues appear too, where leaves reflect the sky.
Also ... compositionally speaking ...That mass of foliage is more than just a mass of foliage in pictorial terms....it is also a large "negative shape" area of the rectangle, and some shapes within it, which relate in some way to the other shapes in the picture, could be helpful.
It is difficult to scan a small trannie, but maybe this might help:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-garden_table_with_red.jpg

As you can see, it "leans" towards lots of blue int he foliage (tho it isn't a wonderful colour reproduction, I have to say) and there is some suggestion of lights and darks, and different shapes in there too. They aren't strong compositional shapes, but then that area is well back in the picture, and the main shapes (curving forms) which echo each other are in the table, the chair, and the shadows. I started the foliage areas with loads of side strokes of blues and greens, blended in some places to knock it back, and then "suggested" leafy shapes over the top in a variety of tones, and shape sizes. You cannot see it in this trannie, but I really haven't painted individual leaves - they are just little v-shapes, which change size, and direction! There is one darker area top left, and also below a lighter patch of larger leaves, which creates a subtle curve and helps to break up that patch of foliage.

Jackie

Many thanks for your time and comments Jackie..... it is much appreciated... lol, Im not satisfied..... just happier about it ha ha ha.....
Visuals along with your explanation are a great help, would of been lovely to have seen a larger picture though..... your painting is wonderful..... and this is what I would of liked to have achieved - This was one of those ugly type hedges.... but it was sparse in places and could see light and the earth, and was trying to get the effect..... failed miserably I know lolol.... will definately take note, and hope to improve on the next one.... will add to my shopping list warm and blue greens, along with bigger sheets to work on
#
gonna keep reading this till it sinks in :)

Thanks

~ adds to list...... reds...... lol only have two :eek:

E-J
08-01-2003, 09:26 AM
This is a very informative thread ... Dawn, might I make a non-greens-related suggestion ... love your subjects (especially as I'm feeling seriously nostalgic for France myself!) and I think the way you've tackled the metal of the boules is masterful. But is something else needed in the area of the bottom right hand corner to balance the composition out a bit? Perhaps if you were working on this some more, making the shadow patterns falling across the tablecloth there a touch darker might do the trick.

Look forward to seeing more pics inspired by your trip! :)

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/12116-Frenchstilllife1.jpg

Thanks EJ :) for your comments and compliments ...... the patterns on the table where what caught my eye in the first place... with the sun shining through the trees...... so pretty.... and in the photo there are alot more.... I was intending doing the same..... but as you know lol..... got bogged down with the background and greens :p :D ....... not sure if to work on this further.... as feel it is too small for what I wanted to do ..... Im sitting here working on something else lol..... so I will see when Ive finished..... but will take all what has been said into the bigger version ....... lol...... I had to cut down the size of the wine bottle too :D

guilliame
08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
DS,find a comfortable chair and sit in front of a clock and listen to the seconds ticking away,relax and concentrate on the second hand moving around the clock face when it reaches 12 you will start to feel drowsy,then i want you to repeat to your self i love greens,i love greens,i love greens lol:D
Love the pic tho,maybe add a piece of baguette on the right to balance it out,the boules are very well done as well.

Smudger
08-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Love it even more now:D :clap:

meowmeow
08-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Great save Dawn! It's a neat still life and your green background ended up really nice.
And it's a good learning thread as well! Thanks!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by guilliame
DS,find a comfortable chair and sit in front of a clock and listen to the seconds ticking away,relax and concentrate on the second hand moving around the clock face when it reaches 12 you will start to feel drowsy,then i want you to repeat to your self i love greens,i love greens,i love greens lol:D
Love the pic tho,maybe add a piece of baguette on the right to balance it out,the boules are very well done as well.

....... Well Mr. Guilly lol..... this was sounding soooooooo nice...... nearly went for it ha ha .... :music: until you went and spoilt it all by saying something..... stoopid ...... like ..... I loveeeee..... :music:

........ Greens ....... :confused: ........:D

lololol....... oops meant to say.... well there WAS a baguette.... but we ate it lol

.... Thanks Smudge.... Meow

jackiesimmonds
08-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Dawn ... could I encourage you NOT to put this aside just yet? I think it is worth working on a little more.

1. Could you make the contrasts between the light cloth, and the shadows, a little stronger? It would add some drama and emphasise the light.

2. If there is light coming from one side, to cause shadows, then why is the cloth draped over the basket, equally "lit" all around? Do have another look at the photo ... I suspect there may be some changes of tone there... my sense is that you got caught up with the pattern on the fabric. However, given that there is a nice strong shadow on the table, and the cloth drapes over the basket - is the basket really that light? And why aren't there light edges to the cloth?

3. Why not see if you can find some photos of other hedges or shrubs which you like better, and spray that background with some fixative, and do some work over the top to bring back more of a suggestion of foliage. You can do it, I know. At the moment, the horizontal wavy marks, even tho they are smudgy and blended, are still a bit distracting and don't look like foliage to me.

I had a browse thro my photo library, and came across this one. See how the blue shadows on the white cloth are quite well defined, and are stronger in tone than yours, which gives a strong sense of sunlight. And the background - I thought perhaps you could use this, as yours was a scrubby hedge! I know the light is coming from a different direction,(which is one reason I never tackled this as a pic ... too much direct frontal light for my liking) but I reckon the background could still work for you - you could just pick out some of the leaf shapes by working in a "negative" fashion - in other words, paint darks "around" the leaf shapes you draw in, leaving your existing colours to be the colours of the leaves (understand this? hope so); and you could vary the size and shapes of leaves by looking at the totally different leafy shapes on the right, and add in some of the darker areas too, using some blues for those lovely depths.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-floral_still_life_for_Dawn.jpg

If you would like a more comprehensive look at a method of painting background foliage, (just one method - I know there are loads!) just let me know and I will do an example and post (that applies to anyone reading this thread.)

sorry I couldn't make the other pic bigger ...it is only a 35mm trannie, and it scans same size. If I try to make it bigger, it pixelates. If anyone knows how to increase the size without losing the quality, do let me know! I know I could use a higher resolution - would that do it, I wonder???

Jackie

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 03:52 PM
ohh eck Jackie :) ....... lol, you are setting me a very difficult challenge hee heee, and yourself, to get me to improve on this....... BUT, if you are game.... then so am I lol ;)

..... yes please DO, an example of background foliage and post in here..... hopefully it will help not only me..... but tons of others who I know also struggle with the same.... that would be excellent - thanks

Obviously I didnt do a very good job on the basket either ... as the lighter parts were meant to show where the dappled sunlight hit it :( ...... to be honest I know this, as in the photo, they are really very bright splashes of yellow.... the basket itself is quite light and only slightly darker at either end..... the whole set up was underneath a sun parasol... so all in shade .... only a part of the table had sunlight... hence the speckled shadows from the trees.. they actually all appear quite soft.... though the sunlight area strong... the strongest shadow is the one underneath the basket.... hopefully that explains the set up...... my excuse here lol, is that its all too small to get the detail that I wanted...... but am willing to take it off and try again

...... lovely photo, and yes, thanks for the use, am sure this foliage will help me alot

....... am just finishing off another work....... and looking forward to seeing your example

thanks

jackiesimmonds
08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
okay, I probably should not do this so late in the day, as I am very tired and will make a mess of it, but at least you can get some idea of what I tend to do when faced with foliage, and want to "suggest" shapes of leaves. It is a very "impressionistic" approach, and I am sure won't suit everyone...but it does tend to work quite well for garden scenes, where things move in the wind, and light flickers. If you paint every leaf exactly as you see it, slowly and carefully, it tends to "freeze" the scene, and actually, it isn't how we "see" when we go into a garden - it is simply not possible to see every leaf in detail all at once.
We go out into a garden and get a feeling of softness, of movement, of light dancing around ... that is what I try to recreate when I work, anyway.

Step 1 - side strokes, using various different greens and blues:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-P8010004.JPG

Step 2 - blending some of those strokes with finger:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-P8010005.JPG

Step 3 - drawing in some leafy shapes with a dark blue:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-P8010006.JPG

Step 4 : I rushed this one a bit and it is really lots of steps all in one, sorry folks, bit impatient to go to bed!! Anyway, think you can see what I have done, adding light leaf shapes, adjusting colours in some other areas, adding tiny strokes of darker colours in the background areas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/1805-P8010007.JPG

You should be able to see tiny strokes of purple, blue and even red-brown in the background. Also, very sharp, bright strokes of "light", both cool blue, and warmer yellowy green, to suggest light-struck edges and corners. The light is supposed to come from the right....

Hope this helps. I over-egged the pudding on the last one...probably better not to overdo it like I did!!

Jackie

jackiesimmonds
08-01-2003, 05:13 PM
oh and Dawn...not surprising you had problems describing the light if the whole thing was mostly in shadow from an overhead umbrella! NOT the ideal set-up really, you are giving yourself tons more work to do if there is a confusion with the light source. So bravo for a job well done, with a difficult subject.

Jackie

nougat
08-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Jackie thanks loads for the foliage info!!!

nadine

Madder
08-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks Jackie! I love how you're so generous about showing these little "tricks of the trade" to people!

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 06:31 PM
ohhhhh Jackie this little example.... is sooooooo wonderful

.... thank you for sharing......

the visual makes it so much easier.... well for me personally to understand.........

..... if you have any more to share lol .... when you are not too tired....... please post
:D

..... many thanks ...... Excellent :clap:

Mo.
08-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Brilliant thread... Great Still life Dawn... you will conquer and master those greens I know... you go girl, you are doing well...:clap:

Thank you Jackie for a superb tutorial.

Mo.

Dark_Shades
08-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks Mo :) ..... well if nothing else....... Im a trier :(

..... Ive spent allllll day out in the baking sun..... took some pics of bushes with light on them.... settled down on the sun lounger to tackle this one, using the bush at the end of the garden as a reference....... :mad: :crying: ..... hot, tired, frustrated lolol...... lost count of the times tried to put in leaves and took them off again... on, off, on off, on off ...... :p ..... hubby said, what you doing..... told him.... ohhh thats easy he says..... so said.. go on then YOU try.... an hour later checks to see what he's done..... he's painted (not very well lol) ..... a LEAF..... ONE solitary leaf lololol.... said nooooo you are meant to be painting the whole bush...... ten minutes later...... he's given up .... proclaiming..... thats stupid, impossible lolol......
explained your Tut to him Jackie.... lol he's turned out a very sad looking christmas tree :confused: :rolleyes: :D ........ I tried, and this is my effort

not too displeased...... lol, not to impressed either

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2003/12116-bush.jpg

Dark_Shades
08-03-2003, 12:07 PM
..... I dont think the paper will take anymore battering to the background lol..... so will have to leave it as it now stands..... no leaves apparent...... but quite like the effect and colouring..... tried working on the basket some more..... again a tad better... will have to try again..... and worked on the shadows and lights more....... think has improved.... still loads to do..... dont normally work this long on something... tend to lose interest after a day or two........ but the effect overall I think is coming along now..... seems more in shadow... with stronger lights

.... One day lol I will surprise you ..... and post a painting with lots of green leaves in it ......... but it just wont be today hee hee

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2003/12116-Frenchstilllife2.jpg

angeline
08-03-2003, 12:14 PM
wow this has turned into a wonderful learning thread as well as looking at a lovely picture!
Thanks Jackie!
Dawn well done for perservering on this!.......understand the 'hate greens' bit!
Really giggled at your hubby story......lol

jackiesimmonds
08-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Dawn, the light on the basket, and in general, is a BIG improvement - just shows, you sometimes have to push on, even when you feel you cannot face one more look at the blasted picture.

As for your patch of foliage.......it is EXCELLENT. Maybe you were struggling, but that doesn't matter - the struggle has led you to a good place, a nice leafy place, and that's what counts. Now .... have another go, and this time try to tackle something with completely different shapes and sizes of leaf. Perhaps little weeny leaves. And then do another, with really big leaves. Soon, you will have cracked the whole foliage/green thing. But I suggest you wait till this heatwave is over - dripping on one's pastel doesn't help.

Help......I think I am melting.....!!!! And they say it will get hotter as the week goes on!

Jackie

Dark_Shades
08-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Many thanks Jackie for your comments and encouragement.... they really are appreciated.....

lolol...... you want more!!! :eek: :D .......... yes, it is soooooooo hot here today.... so when it cools down some what..... will try different varies of leaves........ yikes!!! lets hope for a monsoon, that should keep me out of the garden a bit longer lololol ;)

jackiesimmonds
08-06-2003, 05:21 AM
while reading thro some threads and websites all about colour, doing some research, I came across this quote from The School of Light and Colour website:

"How can I learn to paint a landscape that's primarily green?

SUSAN: When painting grasses, trees, and bushes, the color green often dominates. One general rule to follow is to stay away from using green for as long as possible. Begin the first stages with warm colors in the sunlit areas i.e., yellow, orange, red, or pink. Use cool colors (except green) in the shadows i.e.., blue, purple, or magenta. By doing this you have a foundation of color that is not the local color of green. If everything starts with green it will simply end up to be a painting of local color."

Interesting huh?

http://www.lightandcolor.com/index_news.htm
Jackie

jackiesimmonds
08-07-2003, 02:44 AM
sorry - double posted by mistake. Have edited it out, so just ignore me ... but if you got here anyway do look at:

http://www.lightandcolor.com/index_news.htm
Jackie

soap
08-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Wow, what a great thread! An absolute classic - 's got to go into the Hall of Fame!!
Thanks Dawn, and Jackie for all of this. so helpful!
Dawn, your painting is absolutely wonderful and makes me long for France (only three weeks to go... he he) and your 'bush exercise' is splendid!! Are we going to see your husband's christmas tree?:evil:

S.

Dark_Shades
08-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
while reading thro some threads and websites all about colour, doing some research, I came across this quote from The School of Light and Colour website:

"How can I learn to paint a landscape that's primarily green?

SUSAN: When painting grasses, trees, and bushes, the color green often dominates. One general rule to follow is to stay away from using green for as long as possible. Begin the first stages with warm colors in the sunlit areas i.e., yellow, orange, red, or pink. Use cool colors (except green) in the shadows i.e.., blue, purple, or magenta. By doing this you have a foundation of color that is not the local color of green. If everything starts with green it will simply end up to be a painting of local color."

Interesting huh?

very interesting...... I like the idea very much lol....... will have to try this out!........ perhaps this weekend .... will post results if any good :)

lol Soap..... no hubbies rendition went straight in the bin,..... shame as just thought should of kept it..... boy, it made mine look good lolol ;)

nougat
08-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Jackie your link won't work for me!!! Where can I find it???

nadine

Artaholic
08-08-2003, 12:37 AM
This is a great thread hope I can remember all of the good advice!!

Gerry

Dark_Shades
10-05-2003, 04:59 AM
The Continuing Saga of Greens! :)

....... Carly has some good information of using other colours with green

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136733

exoticacanvas
01-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Personally, I love any colour as long as it is green!

Donna A
02-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi! I've uploaded (I hope!!!) a pdf file of a page from my Mastering Color Volume 3---Color in Action! DVD about Mixing Foliage Greens (which are usually THE trickiest colors of all for eveyone!!!) There is some good information first, then 5 different excercises you can play with and guide you in making some exciting useful discoveries!!!

If there are questions you have with any of the excercises, definately let me know and I'll help any way I can.

(If the pdf file is not there---HELP!!! I'm still brand new to Wet Canvas and have so much to learn about how everything works.)

Here is the first line from the Mixing Foliage Greens:
Foliage green mixtures will look more natural with the addition of a touch of red pigment, which can be introduced directly with Cad Reds, Permanent Crimsons, etc. or through Cadium Orange, Raw Siennas, Ochres, Violets, etc.

And here is a selection out of hand-out sheet I did on Plein Air Painting Tips:
Be careful of Sap and Thalo Greens that have not been mixed down! And of Cad Yellow Lt. used too purely! (ps Ė itís a cold yellow.) Donít depend solely on white in mixtures to show sunlit areas. The sun is golden warm!

When I'm plein air painting in the "green" time----and here in Kansas City it gets REALLY really GREEN!!!!----or working from a photo I've taken spring to early fall, I look for every nuance, every variation of green I can find. I look for Warms and Cools----that is, yellow-y greens to bluish greens. Then of course the lights, mediums and darker Values, and last----very important----the Intensities: higher (richer, more saturated, pure) to the lower intensities (grayed down or with significant traces of color of the other two secondary colors, creating a tertiary.)

By looking for all these differences----and being able to give them a "name" or identity (such as "cooler"---therefore some type of blue added, or "lower intensity"----therefore needing some type of gray or a compliment) you will have a far easier time mixing or selecting your colors.

And---I love to PUSH the color variations a bit----sometimes quite a bit more! :-)

Takes a little looking for the color variations often, but it can be a delicious adventure of discovery. Sometimes just knowing what to look for can open everything wide open! And then it takes that great experimenting! Have FUN!!!

Hope this helps a bit. Take good care! Donna ;-}

mimitabby
02-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I do have a question. i thought yellow was cool.
it seems like in the blocks on the pdf anyway; the warmer colors are yellower and the cooler are whiter.
thanks
Mimi

paintfool
05-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Yellow is a warm color.

Elain
05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
a lemon is a cool yellow.

Elain

claudiamoriarty
05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Perhaps putting a little of the pinks & blues into the background to unify the drawing. Not alot but just enough to tie it all together.