PDA

View Full Version : hibiscus 1st oil

Wahsuzy
08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
got an oil kit with a 45% off coupon. so trying to practice and get a feel for the paint before i attempt roux bear.
any suggestion will help me learn.... thank you:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2012/1091382-new4318.JPG

Wahsuzy
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
figured i should include my reference

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2012/1091382-new5218.jpg

Debzy
08-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Suzy, this is looking beautiful so far! The colours are lovely! Great start! Some brighter highlights and darker shadows will add depth and tonal variation. I love it so far. Well done Suzy! Cheers =)) Debs

crafor
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
WOW! Nicely done. Definitely a good start. You have a light touch, elegant touch.
Ella

Wahsuzy
08-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Thank you Ella and debz!! I have really no clue to what I'm doing. Lol!! But having fun with it:)

birdhs
08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I have really no clue to what I'm doing.

Really? You really expect us to believe that?

Either you are sandbagging us or else you have a wonderful natural talent.

Lol!! But having fun with it

That is what is important, and you made me smile when I saw this

excellent! when you GENTLY add the finishing touches to increase the tonal ranges ever so slightly it will be more excellenter.

Thanx for sharing this with us

Greg

Wahsuzy
08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Greg, that made me smile too;). Thank you!! I'm really not kidding. I just bought a starter set of oils 3 days ago. Other than what I'm seeing online I REALLY am clueless. I'm 100 percent self taught and learning as I go by screwing up, but DAMN I love it. Time does not exist when I am drawing or painting:):). There is that little thing of a job that interrupts ALL the time;)

Wahsuzy
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2012/1091382-new25842.JPG

Octopus Inc.
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Looking good, and for a new medium you're doing quite well indeed. I started with oils in the very same way; no training just passion. And you're obviously talented. Perhaps keep in mind; opaque highlights, transparent shadows... This will prevent the image from looking too "flat" as you bring it out.

Wahsuzy
08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks octo! So how to do the transparent shadows? Could I do a glaze with ultramarine?? This has been puzzling me cause the shadows on the reference look kinda blue to me but not sure how to pull it off....

Octopus Inc.
08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, you could do a glaze with french ultramarine... Here's the thing, when you're working with oils you'll notice some of the colors are more translucent and some are more opaque than others. You'll want to take note of this as it is a tendency of the pigments themselves and not so much the way in which they are manufactured. When you talk about painting transparent shadows, you do so because the shadows are not completely black, they contain the same color as that of your secondary light source. (unless they are being blocked from the secondary light source by another object.) Which in this case would be the blue sky. And because they are not completely black you will sill be able to make out the forms within them, although less distinctly than those not in shadow. And hence the reason for transparent shadows... If that helps.

Debzy
08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
There is that little thing of a job that interrupts ALL the time
Lol I am very familiar with that Suzy! :rolleyes:

Octo has given you some great advice here and I am sure that you can pull this off! There is a lot of talent in your work and what better way to start oils than with a beautiful yellow Hibiscus! It is a beautiful colour and your greens around it are looking great! Don't underestimate your skills here, this will be grand! :clap: Cheers =)) Debs.:D

Wahsuzy
08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks octo and debz!!!! I'm gonna try really hard:). Right now we are in watch mode of a possible hurricane. May not get to paint much in the upcoming days. Have prepared some but now it's just wait and see.... This is the downside of coastal living:eek:

Wahsuzy
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2012/1091382-new6217.JPG

Debzy
08-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Suzy, this is looking fantastic! :thumbsup: Keep going, you are doing a wonderful job. :clap: Hope you escaped the hurricane :eek: Cheers and looking forward to your next post. Debs. =)) :D

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Lol I am very familiar with that Suzy! :rolleyes:

Octo has given you some great advice here and I am sure that you can pull this off! There is a lot of talent in your work and what better way to start oils than with a beautiful yellow Hibiscus! It is a beautiful colour and your greens around it are looking great! Don't underestimate your skills here, this will be grand! :clap: Cheers =)) Debs.:D

Same here, as far as the 'job' thing goes. I work overnights, wife works days, so it's tough in between raising our six year old son for me to get time to do 'art'. The time will be even less when we start up our second year of homeschooling this week (first grade). :D

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Suzy, almost all of those little folds in the petals have cast shadows of their own. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle that. :thumbsup:

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Lol!!! Now your scaring me:eek:

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Most folks don't laugh when they are scared, they run. Anyway, I didn't mean to "scare" you, just trying to help. As I like to tell folks at Flower Pickers Anonymous, take life one petal at a time. ;)

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Most folks don't laugh when they are scared, they run. Anyway, I didn't mean to "scare" you, just trying to help. As I like to tell folks at Flower Pickers Anonymous, take life one petal at a time. ;)
:) thanks!!!! I'm going to work on it today and will post this evening. :crossfingers:

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Please do. You've got something wonderful going on here.

Debzy
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I take my hat off to you Suzy, I am having a cow of time with my acrylic flowers! =)) Debs.

Trumper
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
:) That is very good indeed,thanks for the updates.I sympathise with you i am on night shift this week can't get motivated at all.

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
At the risk of turning Suzy's thread into Art Therapy 101, one of the things I do to get me motivated to draw (or create anything) is to re-arrange the work space, so to speak. I simply turned the card table around in the opposite direction in my art / computer room (a small walk-in closet), threw away a bunch of trash and all of a sudden I found myself picking up where I left off in the Drawing Basics 101 class over in the Drawing & Sketching forum. Another thing is that for me when I come off my last night shift of the week I am wound up, and so winding down with some art does it for me. :cat:

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 06:16 PM
heres what i have so far. Been working on this ALL day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2012/1091382-new25827.JPG

please excuse the glare

Debzy
08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Suzy, wow, this is looking spectacular! :thumbsup: The stamens and centre work detail looks perfect. Your soft orange shadow in the centre brings the flower to life! They almost seem to be poking out of the canvas!:eek: Just beautiful, I can tell you are working very hard on this, it is really paying off. :clap: I bow to you with hat off (actually, I don't wear a hat but I always wear a ponytail, so I bow and take my ribbon and ponytail out to you, :D I am loving it. It is music to my eyes! :music: Cheers =)) Debs. :wave:

thevaliantx
08-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Something. has. been. really. busy.

The only things I'd add are more veins to the petals and the veins, and perhaps add more ruffles to the flowers petals.

You've come a long way in this one. :thumbsup:

crafor
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
wonderful!
Ella

Wahsuzy
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much deb, Val, and Ella!!! I just upgraded some of my brushes and going to try to get down and dirty with the details on petals and leaves. I simply can not wait to try them out!!! My brushes were crap and now I think or rather hope it will be an improvement.... Will post soon:):). Your compliments are very heart warming. Thank you again!!!

Happy painting!

leisure artist
08-31-2012, 04:07 AM
this is coming on nicely Suzy....well done:)

Wahsuzy
09-03-2012, 11:46 AM
hope im not messin it up:confused: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/1091382-new18001.JPG

Trumper
09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
:clap: I can assure you you are not messing it up but i will let the better artists on here state when they think enough is enough,don't need to do too much.

Wahsuzy
09-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks trumper. I was getting concerned that I was doing to much. I did the last petal and need to work on leaves but I don't think I'm gonna do any more. Figuring out when to stop can be challenging.

Octopus Inc.
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
You've done very well here! The petals look soft, thin and delicate with the details and shadowing you've worked into the folds. It shows a good deal of skill and love... Have you considered perhaps lowering the vale of the background slightly to accentuate the flower? Of course this could be completely subjective, and you may not want to do anything at all... I'm well impressed!

Debzy
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Suzy, this is delicious! :clap: I think you have made this flower so beautiful, I would love to hang this on my wall. :thumbsup: Agree with Octo, the petals are delicately translucent and you have given the flower such character! If it were mine I would probably stop now, I would be afraid of messing it up, but you certainly have not messed this up. :D It's a wonderful study of a beautiful Hibiscus, made more beautiful in your painting with such care and love. :heart: In my opinion, I would call it finished. Just lovely. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Cheers :D Debs.

Wahsuzy
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
thanks debz!! i have few things to do tho the background leaves but other than that i am calling this DONE:D

I really apprecaite the help and encougement from everyone!! Thank you!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2012/1091382-new32596.JPG