PDA

View Full Version : in between the other one

guilliame
07-29-2003, 04:48 PM
I have been doing this oil pastel size 8x5,another attempt at portrait painting,this time a young child,i have put the other one down now so i'll probaly go back to work on this:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/6932-tess.gif

bnoonan
07-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok Guili - you're right - this does need some more work and yet seeing your recent portraits, I know you can do it.

do me a favor and reduce this to black and white and see what values may be off from your original photograph. I have a sneaking suspicion you'll find one or two!

Look a bit more closely at what are Hard Edges -vs- Soft Edges. Soft Edges need to be blended together - Hard are as they are defined - sharp. Most specifically I'm talking about where the hair meets the cheek on the right and also the ear.

I think I've given you something to start on here - feel free to post the original photo and we can work on it a bit more together if you like.

Good for you getting out there and doing more of these. I can definitely see the improvement and the great strides you are making.

Cheers! Barb

Dyin
07-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey, look at you go!!! Barb gave some good advice...you have one eye a bit too large and one thing with doing children...no harsh face lines...all smooth and cheek pinchable!!! I'm betting after this other one you're working on you'll make big strides on this...good for you for working on these portraits...it takes a few to start feeling comfortable with them but each one gets you a bit closer...and I think it's great that you're sticking with them...it's the only way to get better and you are definately going to get there!!!

Mo.
07-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Guilli... I'm not going to add to what has been said, just listen to Barb and work with her as you did before on the double portrait you did, that one turned out wonderfuly well... so you know what to do... I'll just say that this child is gorgeous and you are almost there. :)

~ :) Mo.

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 07:48 AM
just adding my support here for you Guilly...... glad to see you posting....... hey and look at the eyes :) ....... no sunglasses..... no paperbags lol.......

youre gonna do good with this am sure

....... ps........... said it before..... but love your signature

guilliame
07-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Barb,Dyin,Mo and lunette noir:D black glasses the closest i could get to dark shades lol,anyway thanks for looking and your comments and your support and encouragement,keeps me plodding on:)

angeline
07-30-2003, 06:15 PM
I'l add my support here.......I still have to brave one yet!