PDA

View Full Version : portrait full face oil pastel

guilliame
07-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Well you will probaly know this,it started off as a drawing,light blue pastel pencil on black paper,Mo and Dyin twisted my arm to go in with colour,both were posted in last weeks quick pastel thread and this is where i am now,Dying i hope iv'e lost the adams apple and tried to soften the jawline to make it more like a woman instead of a man in drag hehe:D forget about the hair all iv'e been doing is to try and build up the pastel layers on the skin tones,i have been putting it down working on other things picking it up again,thinking about starting over,doing a bit more and now i'm putting it down again,ere tis:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/6932-oil.gif

Dyin
07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, it's looking a lot more like a woman and not a drag queen lol!!!! If you don't mind I have a suggestion for the highlights, rather that using the white...use that yellowish tone right next to it....being that bright a highlight makes it looks like a flash just went off in her face and you don't need anything that light there or on the neck....you're using lovely strong colors and that would pull it together quite a lot I think!!!

It is hard to let them go isn't it...I constantly tell myself I'm quit and then there I am back at it again!!!

Good job...aren't you pleased you did it in color? It's really starting to come to life! :clap:

bnoonan
07-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Guili - yup it's me again!!!

Guili this is looking great - but let's go back and blend those edges a bit more. Most specifically I'm talking about the vivid orange and the lighter colors next to it.

Oh - do me a favor and take a closer look at the eye. Is it really that shape or is this coming from your mind??? We (and i include myself in this) have a tendency to draw what we think it should look like and spend a tiny bit less time actually looking at the specific shapes of the whites of the eyes and the irises. How about those lids - are they straight or rounded? Just a few things to consider and now I'll slink away and be quiet.......

,.......b

Mo.
07-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Don't slink away Barb..... keep him at it.:D...... You're doing great Guilli..... it's hard isn't it, but we are all here encouraging you all the way.... BTW I thought your Tiger was Brill!.... Remember what I said about tackling portraits with teeth..... :D.... So difficult to do, but I admire your determination here because the teeth look super... just a few little tweaks and your done.. Well done Guilli. :clap::clap:

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 07:51 AM
me again too :D ....... pushing all the way and supporting (I hope)
...... its coming along nicely Guilly, stick with them .......
hey what happened about you showing your works?
......... and what tiger...... what have I missed?

guilliame
07-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Barb,Dyin,Mo and lunette noir [last time i promise i'll go back to DS],well we meet again on this one so thanks one and all for looking and commenting,you know iv'e been playing around with this one,i used some linseed oil on it just lightly brushed over a small amount,hehe i know how i went over my marks on the eyes coz experimenting again i scraped small amounts off of the oil pastel onto a palette knife and worked it into the painting thats why i have that vivid orange Barb:D tried to blend in my colours and in doing so went over my marks,i'll have to make up some of Mo's magic blenders:D

Hey DS,some of my pics went in to local libraries and doctors surgeries no feed back as yet,but i have been asked to submit 2 pics in aug for the summer exhibition at the throop mill at least people will be going there to look at paintings,one of which will be my 2 children pic as i got it framed:D dont know about the other yet,
have you missed my tiger,i hope you haven't been scrolling thro the threads looking for Guilly's wild life:eek: coc you already commented on the post called lost ball which was of tiger woods:D :D

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 04:45 PM
lol Guilly...... it has quite a ring to it
lunette noir :cool:

angeline
07-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Keep at them gulliy! You are doing great!

Mo.
07-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Guilli... one of the beauties with OP's, you can scrape back to correct...I've done that loads and loads of times... don't forget a person that has never made a mistake has never made anything:D

You are doing great. :clap:

Luvy
07-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Gulley Just keep saying to yourself Paint what you see and not what you think you see. *S* I love doing portraits but sometimes I forget my own saying and it ends up not looking like the person. *S* I even tried fixinig a defect on my grandson (big ears) It ended up not looking like him. Paint what you see. *S*