View Full Version : Spiral-bound pads with glassine slipsheets?

08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know of a brand other than Canson that makes spiral-bound pads of pastel paper with glassine sheets between each page?

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I can cut some paper and have FedEx/Kinkos spiral bind it, but would prefer to buy one ready-made.

Thanks, all!


Kathryn Wilson
08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Try the Dakota Kool-bind travel books - I've used them for years and after the paper is gone that come with the books, you can put more paper in yourself. They lay flat, or fold over for an easel type - easy to use in your lap en plein air.


Barbara WC
08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Sennelier La Carte and Clairfontaine Pastelmat both come in pads with glassine sheets between them, however, they are not spiral bound but tape bound.


08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Dianna Ponting makes a book called "ArtWorksBooks" that is built with hard covers, three holes, ten pages of glassine, an extra large ZipLoc bag (keeps the mess contained), two wrap straps and three loose rings so you can load it with any kind of paper you like to use - mix 'um up for a drawing/watercolor/painting adventure. The AWB holds sheets up to 11x15 inches and the loose rings allow of lots of expansion. You can find the AWB on Dianna's personal website or on the site for the Easel Butler. She comes up with these ideas in order to assist her friends and students. And you should see her newest invention for holding a lamp over a studio easel. Dianna is so clever!

Deborah Secor
08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Sennelier makes one. (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/paper/pastel-paper-and-boards/sennelier-pastel-papers-and-pads/sennelier-c4-pastel-pads.htm)

08-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Not pastel paper but Strathmore makes a sketchbook with alternating sheets of heavy watercolor paper and lightweight slick paper, (not glassine but it works). I know Robert Sloan applied Colourfix primer to the watercolor sheets and used it as a pastel sketchbook;



08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Thank you, everyone, for being my eyes+ears! :thumbsup: I am looking into the Sennelier spiral pad (yikes. expensive.) and the Strathmore wc pad. I have quarts of the primer around here and might as well use it up. Thank you, Deborah and David!

Kathryn's mention of the Kool-bind system that Dakota uses got me to thinking about the various GBC systems. And so I am also taking a look at their "ProClick" binding system. This seems very sturdy, since the rings snap together. It'll hold up well to the rigors of the plein air kit. Key limitation will be the maximum of 11" width. But a 11" x 15" pad that I use on occasion suits me fine, so I have high hopes. I will report back!

Again, thanks all!


Kathryn Wilson
08-21-2012, 09:16 AM
The only thing you need to keep in mind about the spiral bound pads is that once the paper is used up, the binding is no longer usable. The Kool-bind kind of binder can be reloaded over and over with your favorite papers - you just fill it up.

From the listing, they are now offering empty binders to do just that - fill with your own choice of paper.

08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
The only thing you need to keep in mind about the spiral bound pads is that once the paper is used up, the binding is no longer usable.
Yes, I do understand that concept, thanks. :D I remember unwinding the coil on a spiral bound notebook in elementary school just to see what happened. And ending up with a remarkably long kinked wire. Not usable for much of anything. You're right!

The ProClip spines used in the GBC system can be re-used, opened and re-closed, pages taken in and out, and so on and so forth. Can be reloaded over and over. It seems like a sturdier and more rigid alternative to the Circa/Rollabind system that I used for so many years. IMO, it's worth a look-see.

Another issue with the ProClip system will be the thickness of the paper that can be punched. This will limit the thickness (and so the rigidity) of the material used for a cover. Might be a deal-breaker!