PDA

View Full Version : walmart for art supplies? xpost plein air

chewie
08-19-2012, 01:00 AM
yes, its true. a few months ago, I was doing my usual stock up, and thought I'd just wander thru what they call their 'art' supplies. hey! a daler-roweny mini watercolor set?! $12! oh yeah, she's mine. tiny little pans of 12, they are perfect for me to take out sketching. :thumbsup: comes with a teensy little brush, the lid has a couple spots for mixing, and even a thumb hole!

maybe you all already knew this, but i thought it was pretty nifty, and maybe someone else will too.

a few years ago, north light sent me a little sketch kit bag, and this set fits super in there, with a aquabee 7x9 sketchbook, a few other odds and ends. I tossed in a white pastel pencil, cuz I am no watercolorist and loose my whites! so one little bag and a bottle of water, I'm good to go for hours!

a few pastel pencils to fix errors and I have some nice sketches to either use later, just have fun doing, or display at open studio. and on the cheap!

CM Neidhofer
08-19-2012, 02:41 AM
yes, its true. a few months ago, I was doing my usual stock up, and thought I'd just wander thru what they call their 'art' supplies. hey! a daler-roweny mini watercolor set?! $12! oh yeah, she's mine. tiny little pans of 12, they are perfect for me to take out sketching. :thumbsup: comes with a teensy little brush, the lid has a couple spots for mixing, and even a thumb hole!

maybe you all already knew this, but i thought it was pretty nifty, and maybe someone else will too.

a few years ago, north light sent me a little sketch kit bag, and this set fits super in there, with a aquabee 7x9 sketchbook, a few other odds and ends. I tossed in a white pastel pencil, cuz I am no watercolorist and loose my whites! so one little bag and a bottle of water, I'm good to go for hours!

a few pastel pencils to fix errors and I have some nice sketches to either use later, just have fun doing, or display at open studio. and on the cheap!

Yes....I noticed an aluminum field easel there a while back. And sometimes they have a no frills wooden easel for like $9. Sometimes they're worth looking at!

karenlee
08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes my local Walmart has an admirable collection of name brand art supplies at good prices. And I was surprised to see other craft supplies, including crystal beads & findings. If you sew, Walmart is one of the few places to buy yard goods. It's hard to shop there without finding more than I went for.

SSB
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
No WalMart for anything ever. I love my neighbors too much. Besides, Blick is the place to shop for art supplies...

birdhs
08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I shop locally at my REAL art supply store.
does a cost a little more?
... maybe, but quality is as important to me as supporting my neighbors and friends
... and the employees are knowledgeable bout what they sell.

JPQ
08-20-2012, 03:42 PM
... maybe, but quality is as important to me as supporting my neighbors and friends

i use many art shops none of them is local but i have very close (about 20 miles). Even some bookstores in finland have suprises.

chewie
08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
and when you live 2 hours from ANY store that is larger than most cities' gas stations, you'd buy where you can/when you can.

I tried buying a mat cutter at blicks last week, and amazon's price beat it by a long shot--and blicks' wouldn't price match! I've been a real supporter of blicks for years, but when they wanted the better part of another $100 bill for same product? not for me thanks!

SSB
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM

I am lucky enough to have a decent trio of art stores here. They get lots of business from us. Blick has stuff they don't. Everyone knows I love Blue Ridge, which is halfway across the states. It is about a relative locality, and how a particular business operates, where their supplies are manufactured.

thevaliantx
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Wife and I talked about a week ago of working to buy as much as we can online, that can't be bought in any one of the stores not named Wal-Mart, Target, etc. We are aiming to buy more "Made in USA" (not "Imported Parts, Made in USA").

*Deirdre*
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Chewie was only alerting people that Wallmart had some really cheap gear.
This thread was about finding art supplies in unexpected places....please don't use it as an invitation to start a debate on the merits or demerits of one company against another.
Such debates will get moved to the debate forum!

SSB
09-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Chewie was only alerting people that Wallmart had some really cheap gear.
This thread was about finding art supplies in unexpected places....please don't use it as an invitation to start a debate on the merits or demerits of one company against another.
Such debates will get moved to the debate forum!

[icon/concerned smiley] goodness move it then. move me out of it all. i just don't want to be complicit. can you block me from the pastel forum?[/heart face]I recuse myself in the name of properness. But, please don't ban me altogether from wet canvas. I do tithe you know,
[icon/holy]

PS: sooooooorrry[/QUOTE]weary smiley[/QUOTE]

Sorry Chewie

K Taylor-Green
09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I have seen a few things there that were worth buying. They even carry Bienfang drawing paper.