PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard Wolf

AriadneArts
07-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Essdee Scraperboard 4 x 6

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/6306-scratchbd_wolf_.jpg

I found the Essdee board less forgiving than Claybord--it is quite thin in comparison. One must use a very light touch on it. But because it is so light and one can cut it to size, I think it might have a place with me. I can see taking it travelling, and of course, doing postcard exchanges with it. This one took about 6-1/2 hours.

myorca
07-29-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi Eileen,

Geeze..with each one you do, you are getting SO much better. KEEP IT UP!!! :)

This is the best one so far in my opinion!!

Bob

DanaT
07-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Hi Eileen.

This is amazing. What type of carving tool did you use?

I haven't done scratchboard yet but you've got me interested. :)

AriadneArts
07-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Thank you, Bob. That means a lot to me. You have been such a great help. I'm sure I would have given up after the first try without your guidance.

Thanks Dana. On this one I used a straight pin and a scratchbord needle tool which has 5 needles set parallel to one another in a metal handle. It is made by Ampersand (Claybord) and is carrried in a scratchboard tool kit sold by Dick Blick.

I'm planning a scratchboard piece for my journal cover in your exchange project, but I'm going to color it. Wish me luck. :eek:

Jakeally
07-30-2003, 10:41 AM
How the heck did I miss this one:rolleyes:
Fantastic....you get better and better.
Do you know you would do great with Pen and Ink also....especially with the animals:evil: :D

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks so much Chris. I have done some pen and ink, maybe two to three years ago. I did Artdude's tree trunk tutorial. Before that I also did a stippled tree frog and a gorilla with tech pen. I really like pen and ink. I'll probably do some more eventually.

DanaT
07-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
I'm planning a scratchboard piece for my journal cover in your exchange project, but I'm going to color it. Wish me luck. :eek:

It already looks beautiful!

AriadneArts
07-31-2003, 11:10 AM
Thank you Dana. The more I look at it, the more I like it (and the more I'm tempted to "tweak" it). Now I'm afraid of ruining it by attempting to add color. I tried scanning it and printing it out, but it prints waaaay too dark with my little HP printer. I thought if I could print it out, I could try coloring the print first to see what effect I got.

myorca
07-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi Eileen,

I know what you mean about ruining it by trying to add color. The "Asia" animation I told you about was one I tried to add color and it is VERY subtle. I just purchased Dr PH Martin transparent inks and I will be experimenting with them. Something I learned while doing Asia was a dry brush method is the way to go. You can always add more, whereas trying to get rid of it is much harder. I will be sure to post what I do when I do it. Maybe we can learn from each other. I am a bumble when it comes to color. It is something that is totally out of my realm. I dont have enough experience with mixing to get the colors I want, but that will come with time.

Bob

AriadneArts
07-31-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi Bob. I appreciate your remarks about adding color. Yes, dry brush certainly sounds like it's the way to go. The other thing I thought of is a dip pen with a fine point. But it might be more difficult to control the ink flow. I'll just have to experiment on some scrap board. I'm not planning to add color to the wolf, though. What Dana and I were referring to is the peacock feather. (A bit confusing, eh? ;) ). I've ordered some irridescent inks for the feather, but now I'm afraid of "ruining" it.

One other interesting thing about the Essdee, Bob, is it scans kind of silver rather than white. I found it hard to get a good pic of the wolf. The original has a lot more tonal values in it than shows here. I made adjustments in PS7 but the final results still show more silvery than white. Go figure. I don't have that problem with the Claybord.

Do continue to share your efforts with coloring, and I'll do the same. I think between the two of us, we'll work it out. Again, thanks for all your help.

DanaT
07-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
Thank you Dana. The more I look at it, the more I like it (and the more I'm tempted to "tweak" it). Now I'm afraid of ruining it by attempting to add color.

I know the feeling. That's why I can't get the hang of verdaccio painting. If I get the black and white or greyscale to a state of completion, I get hesitant to add the color.

myorca
07-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Eileen, Have you tried to scan the image as a grayscale instead of color? That may make a difference? :)

Bob

AriadneArts
07-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by myorca
Eileen, Have you tried to scan the image as a grayscale instead of color? That may make a difference? :)

Bob

Yes, all of my scratchboard pieces have been scanned in greyscale. But now you've given me an idea. Perhaps I should try scanning the wolf in color. LOL.