PDA

View Full Version : Pastel storage box

Lovedogs
08-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi all, I am new to the forum, this being my first post. I have a couple of sets and some loose soft pastels and I am looking for a 3 drawer box that isnt too heavy and that I can carry to art club. Can anyone in the UK recommend anything? Thanks, Hazel

Colorix
08-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Hi Hazel, welcome to the pastel forum. I personally find those drawer boxes too heavy, (pastel sticks are heavy and then add the wood...) but I have another suggestion: As you need to peel and break the pastels anyway (to get broad strokes from the sides of the pastels), I'd suggest you break of thirds and put them in one of the cardboard boxes they came in. If there are too few slots, remove the part of foam with slots, and sort the pastels according to the colour wheel so that the only ones that rub shoulders are close to each other in hue (and perhaps value). With foam at the bottom of the box, and at the top over the pastels, they will not roll around in the box. Two rubber bands around the box will keep the lid closed.

Easy to carry, no extra cost, and greater versatility of sticks.

karenlee
08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
I have zillions of pastels at home, but when I travel I just take my full set of 90 Nupastels; it has terrific color variety for both portrait and landscape and is no problem to carry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2012/45183-nupastels.jpg

I find carrying a drawing board,clips and paper in a big portfolio is the nuisance!

chewie
08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
you can easily make a box to the size you like with foam board and shipping tape. foam in the bottom, more on top, and done. I got my daughter a nice wooden table easel with a drawer, at hobby lobby for like $25. you could alter it with foam etc., for pastels.

JPQ
08-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I also try develop own 30-45 colour set maybe someday. not only portable (which is not yet imporant) but suitable for my budget and i think carefully selection i can make anything what i want which means all exepct humans and using brand schmicke. these nupastels looks have very wide colour selection i cannot get them but they also look good thing. and numbers come how big are they pastel boxes what they make.

Lovedogs
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Thought I might update you with the box I found in HobbyCraft in Edinburgh. It is tough plastic with 2 1litre compartments and 1 2litre compartment. You can snap these on and off at the sides. It has a carry handle and you can purchase extra compartments in both sizes. I bought another 2 of the 1litre size. I found corrugated paper (from a tip on WC) and lined the bottom of the trays. It measures 9 inches by 6 inches and when all trays are on it measures 8 and a half inches high. This is great for me to take my pastels to art class on Monday. I don't have that many pastels at the moment (around 90) so this is ideal :thumbsup: Trying to upload a pic but its not happening. If you google Prym click box, pics will come up

Donna A
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Karenlee---just make sure about the lightfastness of your NuPastels! Some years ago, I had to remove 34 of my 96 sticks because of a little to a LOT of fading. (All my pastels had set out in the studio for almost 7 years while I was very ill and unable to work---so it was quite interesting and astonishing to find the colors that had faded.) I hope they have found some more permanent pigments in the last several years!!!! Red-violet pigments are the most likely to fade, depending on what ANY manufacturers choose. There are some very permanent---lightfast---pigments available now days, thank goodness. Just be sure!!! Donna ;-}

I have zillions of pastels at home, but when I travel I just take my full set of 90 Nupastels; it has terrific color variety for both portrait and landscape and is no problem to carry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2012/45183-nupastels.jpg

I find carrying a drawing board,clips and paper in a big portfolio is the nuisance!

mudfish
08-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I bought a 3 drawer storage box and hated it - never used it. My pastels are in a wooden box from an old starter art set. I made dividers with 1/2" wood strips from Lowe's and put rubberized shelf covering on the bottom for padding & lets the dust sift thru. I cut foam board to size for a top, glued a tab on to pull it up and cut grooves in that to hold my Nu-Pastels. You can buy the empty cardboard boxes pastel sets come in for half nothing in the UK, they have the foam and everything.