PDA

View Full Version : A query about subject matter

noodlecake
08-17-2012, 09:41 PM
In the board description it seems to suggest that the subject has to be based in real life. There are no other boards on here for sketchbooks. I was wondering if keeping a more experimental, conceptual, abstract, minimal or surreal sketchbook thread would be okay.

CandAlArt
08-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Hey, noodle' -- Welcome, :wave: any art journal contents are good here. I think you are recalling the info at the drawing from life or plein aire threads. We have plenty of imagination going here! Even do international fake journal month sometimes! LOL There is another thread you might enjoy ( along with this one) the Ongoing Sketch Thread hosted by gakinme (Sandra) within the WC Gallery sub-forum. Rather than whole journal threads like we do here, it is one (or several) sketch at a time from anyone, and it rolls along daily among everyone. Lots of surreal & imaginative work, and styles in a broad range. Check it out. Both forums/threads have great qualities and people, and take all media. Very nice folks and no mean dudes.:smug:

Davkin
08-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Actually Candace if you look at the forum heading it implies that the sketches should be from life. I never noticed that before. Don't worry Noodle, all sketches are accepted here, welcome.

David

RainySea
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Hm. . . I never even noticed that the heading on the forum says:

"If you keep a regular sketchbook with places visited or things seen, how about starting a personal thread in the forum? Any medium/mixed media will be acceptable, pencil, pen and wash, watercolour, crayon, collage etc. If you wish to participate open a named thread and post all updates in the same thread. Also includes journal reviews, journal making, journaling techniques, and materials."

Which does seem to imply journal from life. . . however, many of mine are not from life but a mixture of life, pictures and imagination!

noodlecake
08-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Awesome. Thank you very much for the responses. :)

DrDebby
08-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Welcome Noodle. I think people have answered your question. So yes, whatever you are putting in your sketchbook is welcome.

hobbyartist87
12-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry to bring this older thread back to the first page, but I've started a thread about a specific question I had that was related to this thread and haven't gotten a response.

The story of the art part of my life was that early in my childhood I would most watercolor with some colored pencil work, then as I got to know other media in high school, I dabbled in oil pastels a little bit and in 2010-2011 did a few soft pastel works. However, since getting into my thesis this summer, I went away from art and haven't really gotten back to it. This past week I've been thinking about getting back into art. I realize, however, that with the long breaks from art that I took (also took a break from art between freshman/sophomore year of high and after I graduated from my undergraduate program) I probably lost a lot of the skills that I previously had. On top of all this now when I sit down to draw or paint something more or less finished I don't have the same inspiration any more and nothing I've started lately has been something I was satisfied with as I would stop working on that piece before reaching the halfway point as it would seem really really bad to me (it looked like it was something a 5 year old drew). Since I've got a point and shoot camera for my birthday last year and some of the people from our church like to go take pictures of nearby parks, I've been thinking of going to photography with my camera and doing journaling that way.

This is where the question comes in. At this point I don't feel like my artwork is anywhere good enough to be posted in the pastel, colored pencil, and watercolor forum and I don't really have a ton of time to dedicate to those media, so if I get back into art I'll be hanging around most often in this forum. If I start doing point-and-shoot camera photos and start keeping a journal that way, would that kind of journal belong in this forum? If not, out of the media that I have tried (among the few art classes that I took on my own time in college was a charcoal/graphite pencil drawing class) which one or which ones would suggest I start with to get back into art? Sorry if this has gotten to be too long, but since art was one of my hobbies for most of my life I don't want to let go of it now and would like to find a way back into art.

Any opnions and replies would be really appreciated. Thank you all.

RainySea
12-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Hello Sandra and welcome,

I saw your other inquiry but thought maybe Debby or someone else in charge of the thread would be more of a place to answer about the photos. One thing I would comment on though is that in art journals, many people do use photos as elements of the pages. . . they collage with them or add text and media to the pages with photos, etc. I've seen that quite often in some of the books on journaling I've picked up from the library.

As for getting back into art. . . since I never went to any art schooling, I can't really speak directly to your case. For me, I just decided one day that I wanted to learn to draw and so I picked up a book from the library (happened to be Drawing for Dummies) and a pencil, bought a cheap sketchbook and began. I used mostly just graphite pencil for some months, then added in charcoal and other pencils. Then I just bust out and started exploring all kinds of media and still sorta do that. I love them all! Some are not as easy for me than others, but all are fun. Journal pages are personal explorations and they do not have to be "good enough"! I recommend Danny Gregory's book, the Creative License! Libraries often have it.

hobbyartist87
12-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Rainy, thank you for replying. During the last part of my teenage years I became a perfectionist and it's been for me to let go and continue working on artwork that wasn't turning out as perfect as it was in my mind or as good as I knew it could be. Journaling may enable me to just let go and start getting back to art without forcing myself to have to complete every piece perfectly or else abandon it.

DrDebby
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Sandra, I have answered this in the other thread. But, the short answer is yes, post things here as you get back into art. All skill levels are welcome.

CandAlArt
12-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Hi- I also recommend the Danny Gregory book, "The Creative License." It is good, funny, full of encouragement for beginners to not-beginners who want an inspiration boost. Lots and lots of exercises to try and a VERY colorful and creative layout of the whole book. Check it out at the library and you will want to buy your own copy. JOIN IN HERE!!!!!:wave: