PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 28th July- 3rd Aug.

Mo.
07-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Ooops a day late this week, but better late than never, okay guys the doors are open....... don't all rush at once :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off......stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between....... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks thread, some beautiful ones here for you to see and give you an idea about what this thread is all about :-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120531

guilliame
07-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Well i'll kick this off this week,i was tidying up throwing away old newspapers when i saw this on the back page,for some reason i decided to draw it,took about 50 mins i was going to call it tiger lol but then everyone would think Guilly's doing wild life:D sorry to disappoint all the wild life lovers:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2003/6932-ball0002.gif

Mo.
07-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Hey this is super Guilli.....Great piece of work..... although it looks like he may be stalking his lost golf ball in the rough grass there.:D... Love this.

kuraga
07-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Read you thread and decided to participate. Had a good time!
Those are roses from my garden. (I have just two - not a perfect composition, but putting 3 roses is too flattering to my garden :D )
Pastel on sand paper, 9X12. 30 minutes.
Self-critique: will have to come up with different ways for leaves.

Mo.
07-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Kuraga... Warm welcome to you and thanks for joining in....
Your quickie is vibrant and lively... and what is wrong with the leaves? :D I like them, the background is super, great sense of movement ... hmmm 2 roses ........so what...... the little bud makes it 2 and a half. :D Will you work some more on this one?

kuraga
07-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Do you think I shall work more? I don't know how. :o
May be I shall edge my pastel bars. Well, we'll see what can I do.
Thanks, MO !

bnoonan
07-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Nice job Gulli and beautiful roses Kuraga.

Guili I've been lurking at your other posts in the portrait forum and they are great fun. Keep it up!!!

Kuraga - glad you came over to play with us. I just love your watercolors - and these roses are superb. Nice choice of colors on the shadow of the leaves.

Well here's my 45 minute special. It's a dearly departed friend and although I've not captured her complete soul, it's a start.

Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2003/13264-AGING-KATE.jpg

Vegas Art Guy
07-28-2003, 05:39 PM
45 minutes? I am very impressed. Still looking for something to draw at work...

Mo.
07-28-2003, 05:59 PM
Barb, you already know the impact this had on me.;)....Had to come back for another look, as it's so beautiful, thanks for posting this one.

angeline
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
oh wow what a fast start!
I hope i can get something in this week.
These are all great!

DanaT
07-28-2003, 09:23 PM
I always enjoy the weekly threads. All these are great for the short amount of time. It keeps you in training. :D

Vegas Art Guy
07-28-2003, 11:22 PM
OK I have a drawing I've finished, just need to rehook up my scanner (4 devices that use USB and only 2 ports) and You'll see my first for the week. How's that Mo?

E-J
07-29-2003, 03:43 AM
Guilli, that's a nice little sketch ~ is it oil pastels or soft?

Barb, awesome for just 45 mins (would be awesome even for several hours' work)! You are an amazing artist.

Greg, I'm constantly having to unplug my mouse to hook up the digital camera and download my pics, then reattach the mouse so I can crop/resize the images and post them here. If you're producing daily sketches it can be a real pain. Technology enables us to share all our stuff but it can also feel like more of an obstacle sometimes!

Mo.
07-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Greg and E-J what you both need is one of those little appliances that plugs into your USB port, and then has up to four other little ports for you to plug your devices into...check whether your computer ports are USB1 or USB2.... the 4 port one costs around 30 and the 2 port which I have was about 15, saves all that fiddling around at the back of the computer.

Craig Houghton
07-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Wonderful work everyone as always, and bnoonan, that dog is especially fantastic! It's an incredibly expressive work -- I love it! I'd be perfectly unsurprised if you said it took hours and then some, but 45 min is incredible.

And, as for me, I've been playing with oils a bit, but I've had some time to do a couple of quickies in pastel. I'm just playing around with oils though, and I'll be back into a more ambitious pastel soon enough. (btw, one learns sooo much so fast about color when you actually mix it yourself, as I've been doing with oils).

This is an 8 minute coneflower on colourfix. It's about 4x6. I had done a watercolor of a conflower, and it took a long long time. I was so frustrated with the results that I told my gf I'd do the same exact thing in pastels but in 5 minute instead of 2 hours. I more or less did, but in 8 :P

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/21273-pastel_coneflower.jpg

here's the watercolor i'd done before scribbling out the pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/21273-coneflower.jpg

i might put some pastel over the watercolor though -- for the highlights and to lighten the areas I accidently drenched

This one is an 8x7 on velour paper. I gave myself somewhere under 20 minutes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/21273-velour_sunset.JPG

Happy painting all

-Craig

guilliame
07-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Mo,EJ and Barb thanks a lot,i was getting a bit frustrated with my portraits so i needed something quick to take my mind off them,EJ done with oil pastel,just started using them again after 2 yrs size 9x6.

kuraga,welcome,good sketch for 30mins,some nice work in this,you have the shape of the leaves,take another 30 or even 60mins,my roses seem to have given up and gone to sleep for another year:D

Barb, great painting,provoked many emotive memories,reminded me of our black labrador ben who we lost 2 yrs ago,will look forward to the finished one:clap: thanks for your comments on my portraits,hopefully i'll get there in the end.

Greg,like the sunset well done,prefer the w/c cornflower tho to the pastel still good for 8mins,oil painting with a palette knife is great fun but preparation and drying time has moved me on to pastel:D

Vegas Art Guy
07-29-2003, 11:30 AM
The only reason I have not gotten one yet Mo is the fear of what else I'll end up buying! I hit Aaron Brothers to get a 2/99 ebony pencils and ended up spending $25.00. Going to the eletronics store is just as bad!

nougat
07-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Great work all (and QUICK)

I'll try to get a sketch done soon but with all the threads, projects etc it is getting difficult!! WC! certainly doesn't let us lie back and laze about!!!

Guilliame - I loved your tiger!! Such nice soft colours I tend to use quite strong shades with OP....

Kuraga - your roses are lovely!

Bnoona - what a lovely dog and what a sweet expression - obviously a much loved pet.

Craig - loved the flowers (preferred the pastel actually) and the sunset is fab.

nadine

dollardays
07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
When I saw this thread I knew I wanted to do a quickie.

Here it is. About 45 minutes. On my new favorite ground. Pastel primer over WC paper. Working fast like this I didn't think about color too much just reached for a pastle that looked like it was the right value. Enjoyed it very much!! Great exercise for the mind.

Mo.
07-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Great sketches Greg....good to know you are experimenting with other media ... oils are fantastic ...to me they are the cream of all...good luck with those...I know this is pastel forum, but if anyone hasn't painted in oils they are missing out on so much, you learn such a lot...Well done Greg.:)

Dollardays, that's great quicky portrait..... you've done so much in those 45 mins terrific stuff.... glad you are enjoying the challenge...it really is a good loosening up excercise....Hah ...one I haven't tried for a while, must do soon, but been bogged down with other work, I keep promising myself to do a quicky every day, but forget once I pull out what I'm currently working on.. :D

Greg.... :D:D I know what you mean... ;)... I have to visit the art store tomorrow...just for some board, but I know I won't resist buying something else....I feel like a little kid in a sweet shop when I'm there..:)

BTW... Dollardays... looking at your tiny haed.... is it a self portrait?

Can see a likeness there. :)

Dyin
07-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Ya'll know I can't do anything fast so I miss a lot
of good stuff here on the weekly...Guilli...that is
awesome!! All your portrait work is paying off.

Kuraga...hey, those roses look really great...a lot
more realistic than my try for the OP project...you
know, you could scumble a touch of that green over the
blue edges and see if you like that better!

Barb...geez, when you come back, you come BACK! Loved
your angel girl and now this...can feel the love...

Craig...both cone flowers are nice...and the sunset makes
me think of New Mexico again...

Dollardays...really nice, can't believe you did that in
45 minutes...way to go!

I'll have to stop in more often...missing a lot of nice
work!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Vegas Art Guy
07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Here is the box cutter I drew yesterday. Had the digicam hooked up :D 15 minutes black conte.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/23340-box-cutter.jpg

And the drawing from Mexico that is only a couple of weeks late. 60 minutes sanguine and white conte on black paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2003/23340-Mexico-Drawing.jpg

2 for 1 Mo, how about that? :D

nougat
07-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Dollar - that's surely a self portrait!!! and in such a short time wel done!

Vegas - great sketches! esp like the 'office supplies' you keep showing us!!

Yesterday evening we had a power cut so we went up on the roof to enjoy the breeze.

This is the view - there should be a whole lot more buildings and less 'view' actually.... When my family moved here 25 years ago there were fields across the road and we could see the sea sitting down at table downstairs in the kitchen!!!!! sigh....

anyway

this is oil pastel and as you can see I find it extremly difficult to get to grips with a landscape! oh well.

nadine

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 07:31 AM
glad to see the thread is still going strong..... some great works and newbies too...... welcome

Kuraga love your flowers......
dollar...... wonderful colours in the portrait
Barb...... I dont believe Ive seen an animal from you before.... well done..... love it
Vegas...... did you finish the picture of the weird shape wine bottle.... will have to check that out
Guilly nice one from you..... love the light in it
Craig........ you could post your entries back into Sundivers project of doing the same piece in two forms..... am sure she would love to see the project brought back up

good work guys..... keep it going

tick149
07-30-2003, 10:31 AM
a 45 minutes project 9x12

tick149
07-30-2003, 10:35 AM
and here is my 25 minutes special

thanks everyone

Vegas Art Guy
07-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Wow tick I'm impressed nice drawings in a short time! I did finish the wine bottle I don't know if I posted the final photo or not. I'll check and see.

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by tick149
a 45 minutes project 9x12

shucks you didnt use the uploader ....... but this one I liked best...... nice cool colours....... very refreshing, especially after the heat of where Ive been

nice one

Mo.
07-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Greg!... Two super ones love the sanguine and white on black, very affective....

Nadine... Doesn't look like you struggled at all it's a lovely scene, lucky you to have such a gorgeous view.

Amante.. love your colours..two little beauties :)

Ummmm sorry Greg, still haven't done one for you yet.... but watch this space okay :D

Vegas Art Guy
07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
I'mmmm waiting Mo..... :D :evil: :D Sorry could not help myself...

angeline
07-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Ok I've just done this......there are many things i'm not happy with! It's done on velour 9 x 13 in an hour taken from a photo i took on holiday.
Any advise welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/19726-beachboys1.jpg

Craig Houghton
08-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Looks great angeline. The colors work really well together and I like the simple form and motion of the kids.

btw - you mentioned that you welcome advice - it looks great, though I'd probably tone down the blue shorts a bit, even though I like the bright splash. Also, the line in the sand from the shovel is the same color as the shadow which looks a bit confusing. Looks really great though.

-Craig

nougat
08-01-2003, 04:55 AM
Angeline this is a very pretty painting!! are those adorable kids yours??

tick - lovely lovely trees!!

Dark shades - how do you get your flag at the bottom of your post??? I've got Malta's flag that I'd LOOve to use like that!!!

Mo - thanks for the kind remarks. - I ALWAYS struggle with lanscape in a way that I don't with anything else (and i'm constantly struggling!!) Unfortunately that view can only be seen from on the roof , 3 floors up and with quite a few buildings 'artistically' erased!!!! :D

nadine

angeline
08-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Craig thanks .........the shorts don't stand out quite so bright in real life..........but boy do they ever here!.......lol
Nougat......no these aren't mine.......just a snap i took cos I liked the scene.
I have never done a picture this fast before......I can see lots to sort out and improve on here.

Craig Houghton
08-01-2003, 10:55 AM
angeline - scans can be tricky that way. i'm always so surprised how different my digicam pics are from the original. Then again, sometimes they're actually flattering :)

Either way, here's a 45 minute 8x10 soft pastel on velour. I intended to work on this for 20, but the velour can be tricky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/21273-summerclouds.JPG

-Craig

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Everyone looks like they're working hard on these short-time sketches and looking good! I start on a sketch but seem to go over time - too darn fussy.

Craig: I love those clouds! Each one you put up gets better and better. Wonderful movement in this one. Master Cloud Maker - a WIP demo sometime?

Vegas Art Guy
08-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Nice job both of you. I need to pull my conte out again. Got distracted by my prismacolors (challenged by someone actually) so I'll come up with something this weekend. On the beach drawing you may want to smooth the shadows and highlights on the kids just a bit.

angeline
08-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Craig .........your clouds are wonderfull as always! You are the cloud man!..........lol
Oh there is so much more than the shadows on the kids i need to work on.........but yes that is one part! I want the sea to look more real and the sand! Don't want much do I ???!!! :D

bnoonan
08-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Craig - Wow wow wow and double triple wow.

Your clouds are superb and what you can accomplish in short order is most impressive. I've yet to try to paint a single one but look forward to studying yours a bit before I do so.

Barb

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by nougat

Dark shades - how do you get your flag at the bottom of your post??? I've got Malta's flag that I'd LOOve to use like that!!!

nadine

Using the uploader in WC.... upload your image..... copy and paste all of the url it gives....... go to your 'My WC' .... then click on Edit Profile...... look down the list to 'Signatures'.... copy and paste the url into the white box on right..... save modifications
...... voila!!! :)

guilliame
08-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi Angeline,i like this and the colours you have used and i'm pretty impressed by the footprints in the sand,i also think you could change the colour of the blue trunks,the boys and the shadows are fine,also you are pretty close to the 50/50 pic half sea and half sand,some waves come in further up the beach than others,just thoughts that occurred to me,it's still a nice pic tho:D

nougat
08-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Lovely clouds Craig !!

Dawn thanks for the info BUT the uploader won't work for me!! It just tells me that I don't have permission blah blah blah!!!! :mad:

thanks

nadine

guilliame
08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Craig,i owe you an apology,when we were talking about Smudgers bash over here in the uk,Soap was on about pm;s to brits so i said send one to Graig Clouds Houghton as i remember seeing cheshire and i assumed a mancunian,sorry mate anyway the nickname may stick if you keep turning out beauts like this:clap: :D

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by nougat
Lovely clouds Craig !!

Dawn thanks for the info BUT the uploader won't work for me!! It just tells me that I don't have permission blah blah blah!!!! :mad:

thanks

nadine

ok.... we can work round this...... post your image in here Nadine.. I will upload it for you and then give you the url for it... you can then post that into your signature..... not sure why you shouldnt have permission though.... that needs to be checked out

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by angeline
Ok I've just done this......there are many things i'm not happy with! It's done on velour 9 x 13 in an hour taken from a photo i took on holiday.
Any advise welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/19726-beachboys1.jpg

Ohhhhhh Hayley.... the sun and shadows on this are supppppppeeeeerdooooper

love it :clap:

guilliame
08-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Help iv'e gotta get off this post no 666,the omen and all that i'll have damian after me:D anyone iv'e missed,
Dollardays,nice portrait,takes me at least an hour to draw out my basic outline,but i like the skintones and pastel strokes.

Tick well done i prefer the first one nice soft colours,the second 25 mins that is special:D

Nougat your landscpe has a lot of dark tonal shades at least on my screen maybe go in and introduce some lighter tones:)

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Help iv'e gotta get off this post no 666,the omen and all that i'll have damian after me:D anyone iv'e missed,
Dollardays,nice portrait,takes me at least an hour to draw out my basic outline,but i like the skintones and pastel strokes.

Tick well done i prefer the first one nice soft colours,the second 25 mins that is special:D

Nougat your landscpe has a lot of dark tonal shades at least on my screen maybe go in and introduce some lighter tones:)

Im gonna search your scalp..... lololo
:music: ..... tune to twilight zone :music:

Vegas Art Guy
08-01-2003, 06:50 PM
So, I'll have another drawing up tonite I hope! Yet more office stuff in conte crayon. (big suprise there!) Where is Mo's artwork anyway?

Mo.
08-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Sorry folks, been megga busy... and suffering too... so trying to catch up... not that you need me it seems.:)

Hayley... lovely beach scene.. you've captured the moment well:clap:

Craig... your clouds are awsome... when are you going to do a WIP?... think I asked you before... just a gentle nudge!.:)

Greg.. sorry mate... still nowt for you... but don't give up on me just yet.;)

Vegas Art Guy
08-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Here is my new drawing. 15 minutes or so. Black conte crayon. The Bottle is Xerox glass cleaning fluid.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/23340-xerox_bottle

Don't you love office supplies?

Deborah Secor
08-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone! My computer had a heart and lung (power supply and motherboard) transplant over the last week and I've missed being here. I painted but I had a luxury of time and went waaaaay over the time limit in here. I took some photos in progress--will post it all in its own thread tomorrow, I hope. Just wanted to say hello and mention all the beautys I've seen here! Keep up the good work..see ya in the next thread...

nougat
08-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi all.

Nice bottle Vegas!!

Thanks Guilliame. It was sunset at the time and not very bright but the biggest problem was that once I'd jumped in with the darks the lighter colours were just getting all yukky and mixed in...looks like I started the wrong way round....

nadine

Mo.
08-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Today is the last day for posting your sketches .......new thread starting tomorrow....just a gentle nudge. :D

E-J
08-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Helloooooooooooooo friends :)

I'm just back from a weekend in Kent, where in between lunch and dinner at various restaurants I spent some time on a rug on the lawn at my parents' house in the gorgeous sunshine, sipping wine and sketching. Hard life, isn't it? :)

First is a stargazer lily, 25 mins. Bleugh.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2003/13865-stargazer.jpg

Bear in mind that these were done in my Fabriano sketchbook, which is annoyingly difficult to hold open as it doesn't have a spiral binding. It's great sketching paper, tho, and comes in lots of colours.

Next up: Sandals, 30 mins. Hmmm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2003/13865-sandals2.jpg

And done this morning: Vine tomatoes, 30 mins. Yay! Pleased with this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2003/13865-toms.jpg

Anyone else been sketching today?

E-J
08-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Hayley ... great sense of sunshine in your beach scene.

Craig ... such drama in that cloud! Love it :clap:

angeline
08-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Ej .......those sketches are fab! yummy looking tomatoes! i have one of those fabrino skectch books.............very hard to keep open! But lovely paper!........lol

Mo.
08-03-2003, 07:57 PM
E-J you knock yourself too hard my girl... these are great quickies... you put me to shame.. haven't done for one yonks... love the tommies... and the sandals...look nice and comfy.. the flower is hmmmm, but, maybe it was the wine.:D

E-J
08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Mo, the lily was the only sketch I DIDN'T do while drinking :) LOL I guess I'll just call it a warm-up.