PDA

View Full Version : OP Surfaces!

ArtByFrida
08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey All- I have recently fallen in love with oil pastels, specifically Sennelier (they go on like buttah!) I've used canvas panels, paper, and Ampersand Pastelbord.

Do any of you have any suggestions for specific surfaces that yield specific results (i.e. the canvas panel painting ended up being more "gritty" than the Pastelbord due to the texture being so pronounced)? Or perhaps even unusual surfaces that you've tried and either loved or bombed?

halthepainter
08-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Frida, many of the artists here like pastel board. Pat, the moderator in this forum, and I are fond of masonite (hardboard). Of course it has to be sanded and coated with gesso. I like a toned surface rather than paint on a white surface, so I coat my masonite with clear gesso. Clear gesso gives a great tooth for oil pastels and leaves the warm toned surface.

I paint a lot on canvas panels but I also tone this surface with Matisse background colors which are also gesso. This helps subdue the weave of the canvas surface and if some of the weave shows, it's not so bothersome.

I also paint on watercolor blocks, 140#. These blocks I also cover with colored gesso. If I use a gesso other than Matisse, I will mix some marble dust into top layer of gesso to give the surface more tooth for the oil pastels. I leave a margin on these block sheets to facilitate separation, and matting.

My canvas and masonite panels, I frame full frame, my paper is matted and glazed.

A lot of papers are not firm enough for my heavy handed techniques and Canson Mi tintes have a texture that I don't care for.

These are the surfaces that I use.

By the way welcome to the Oil Pastel Forum.