PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio for Pastel paintings

IndigoRed
07-28-2003, 01:39 AM
Hello all. After i recieved some excellent advice about selling locally, i started getting some things organized and prepared for what i intend to do soon. But............I seem to have a problem tho it might not be a problem just an oversight, anyways, my question for the day is.............

My pastel paintings are all either on velour board, suede matt, or some other type of support that is not just Paper. When getting or creating a portfolio for your artwork with these types of supports, what type of portfolio should i use? I do not have the money nor the means to make prints or 35 mm slides/photos. So it seems i will have to take my artwork with me but i am concerned about the what to use that wont put wear and tear on them. Any Advice or opnions?? Thanks bunches, ill probably have more questions about this stuff as i start to get the ball rolling :D

Stephanie

Dyin
07-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey, Steph...how ya doin? Do you have a digital camera? One you can borrow? I really think it would be easier to have photos to show...with digital you can make them full page size and print them yourself, so details can be seen...I'd worry about the originals getting messed up in a portfolio...maybe others have some good ideas tho....

IndigoRed
07-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Hi Sue! Sigh...........nope dont have a digital camera, my father in law does, but he also travels alot, we were (me and my husband) supposed to visit my father in law today for the purpose of barrowing his digital camera so i could take pics of my art, but at the last minute he had a business date so i have to put it off for another week or so.

Actually that might not be a bad thing, i guess i could do more artwork , then when i have a nice collection going, i can just have pics taken all at once by him. Tho this would set me back as far as "when" i wanted to start advertising, but better safe than sorry i suppose........:)

How ya doin Sue, miss ya {{hugs}}

nancymae
07-28-2003, 04:49 PM
You could try using a plain camera...try and make it an SLR, if not, make sure it is a good quality camera...then take the pictures, and request that they be printed, as well as put on a cd...so you can look at them digitally. Just make sure that you don't get any background...just the paintings. Also...make sure your lighting is good. I think there were some posts about taking pictures of your art work here somewhere. Try and do a search.

I do pastels...and I have a digital file..plus slides, and prints. I take the prints with me.

Good luck,

Nancy

Mo.
07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Steph... you may find these articles useful for you....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/index.php

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Sylvia_White/phototips.html

cheers,

Mo.

jackiesimmonds
07-30-2003, 02:33 AM
I spoke to a friend last evening, who told me that she had some colour photocopies made of her works, and they were excellent. You can have them made any size you like - she had LOTS of small inexpensive ones done, and made them into greetings cards by sticking them down onto blank cards.

You said in your first post that you do not "have the money or the means to make prints or 35mm photos" which implies that you do not have a camera, so I won't offer photographic advice. I am not sure how much colour photocopies would cost in your part of the world, but probably a lot less than buying a camera ...and your only other alternative is to take the pics around with you.

If you have to do this, then the best thing to do is make sure that every picture is matted and then covered with some acetate paper - or, cover the whole lot with a piece of glassine, which is not transparent, but if left loose on three sides you can lift up to show the picture. The important thing is to find a way to stop the pictures getting smudged as you carry them around.

Jackie