PDA

View Full Version : August 18 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to AUGUST 18

sherrysherman
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi all--

As usual, please try to keep your questions and comments relevant to the August 18 paintalong.

Johannes has said that he will be working in WATERCOLORS, and that the ratio of the painting is 4:5; this includes 8x10, 12x15, and 16x20. He has posted three ref photos at the student access page. He has combined the three photos into one ref scene and has posted the resulting (combined) photo there as well.

You can get to the student access page from the email he sent last Saturday, Aug 11, subject line Paint Along Today's Class. If you signed up for the sessions, and completed the second registration (at gotomeeting), you should be on his email list. For other instructions on finding the access page, please see the Paintalong Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion thread (see Post #42) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...php?t=1206022).

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the Aug 18 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the Aug 18 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1206022) or the general Paint Along Discussion thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192)
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

Johannes Instructor
08-16-2012, 04:10 PM
The photos and drawings are up on the student access page for class number 2 August 18.

Johannes Instructor
08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Watercolor Saturday August 18

mickisew
08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Johannes: You must have known I am getting ready to paint this scene from our class yesterday! Your painting is magnificent. Thank you for posting your photo so promptly.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
08-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Here is an update with rain in the back as some wanted to see and I added more light. The screen was showing it too dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2012/135220-Class2-Paintalong3-finished.jpg

sapphirelynn
08-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Wow this looks wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap: I can't wait to give it a go

Pinklady219
08-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Here is my painting as I painted along with Joe. I haven't done anything to it since (I was going to tear it up but didn't). I think I'll do a different sky with acrylics. They will cover the watercolors. Be gentle...

spudsmom
08-19-2012, 10:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2012/895452-DSC00224.jpg

Okay, here's my attempt at yesterday's paint along. Thought many times throughout the afternoon about all the evil:evil: things I wanted to do to this picture...aka burn it, shred it, let the the mini doxies have a hay day with it....but in the end I whipped out my pan pastels and salvaged the sky and water.

I can do way better rocks than this. My lobster traps are pitiful given the number of traps I've seen in my lifetime. But it was a good learning experience especially with the sky.

Sherri

Sil in LI
08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Where can I find instructions on uploading a photo of my painting? Thanks, Sil

Sgourlayart
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Where can I find instructions on uploading a photo of my painting? Thanks, SilHere is the link to the instructions on Wet Canvas Live http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886612 Go to the video upload tutorial by Yorky; it gives very clear instructions. Stu

Art Leat
08-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Wasn't able to see the live paint along, because of a family get-together, so I'm just watching the download of Part 1. Only got as far as the initial sky washes, but what Jo's done so far alone is worth the cost of the session.

Another great demo, Jo:clap:

Sil in LI
08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Sgourlayart]Here is the link to the instructions on Wet Canvas Live http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886612 Go to the video upload tutorial by Yorky; it gives very clear instructions. Stu[/QUO

Thank you Stu, will do.

Pinklady219
08-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Okay, I re-worked the dark watercolor from Saturday and covered the sky and water with acrylics. So I suppose this is a multi-media piece. I like it actually. (a lot better)

Johannes Instructor
08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Okay, I re-worked the dark watercolor from Saturday and covered the sky and water with acrylics. So I suppose this is a multi-media piece. I like it actually. (a lot better)
I prefer to use pastels to correct watercolor because when dried they look so much alike.

Pinklady219
08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Thank you Joe, I'll try the pastels. I don't have any pan pastels, just plain old ones. I'll need to remember this tip!!

chickadeedee
08-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Jo's class is such a learning experience! I bent the paper when I soaked it and every place that it was bent picked up more color. Next time I will do better but had so much fun doing painting that I will keep at it.

chickadeedee
08-24-2012, 11:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2012/1072912-8.18.12_painting-5.jpg

This is my painting even with bent paper. Any comments are welcome.

Artcat369
08-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Well, I've been having difficulties posting this . Hope the 6th time is a charm! I found this watercolor challenging - in fact, I find most landscapes challenging when done in watercolor. Either they look "cartoony", or else lend themselves to more interpretative effects. Anyway, I wasn't happy with some of the hues or values, so I did correct some things at the end with both hard pastels and pan pastels. C and C welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2012/979124-JV_Aug_18_seascape_for_WC.jpg

Johannes Instructor
08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, I've been having difficulties posting this . Hope the 6th time is a charm! I found this watercolor challenging - in fact, I find most landscapes challenging when done in watercolor. Either they look "cartoony", or else lend themselves to more interpretative effects. Anyway, I wasn't happy with some of the hues or values, so I did correct some things at the end with both hard pastels and pan pastels. C and C welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2012/979124-JV_Aug_18_seascape_for_WC.jpg
When landscapes look cartoony, especially in watercolor, you are on the right track. Unless of course the cartoon aspect is too childish looking. You did a good job. Next time merge all those round bolders into "carved" slabs of rock with nice angles. That is why I imported a photo from Acadia National Park to do my painting.

Artcat369
08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Thank you!!! I didn't expect a comment from our instructor, and do appreciate your viewpoint and advice! Yes, I chuckled at my pile of potatos when I posted...but I was too tired to change them at this point. I reached a certain point with this piece, and thought I'd ruin it more (like I did with the rocks..they were more angular and squared off in the begining!). Wow - the sky was a challenge, for sure. I also found it difficult, therefore, to decide what is actually my focal point...the stormy sky? the water and reflections? The boat and buildings? Well, thank you for your comments, and your wonderful classes! Adele:clap:

Johannes Instructor
08-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Thank you!!! I didn't expect a comment from our instructor, and do appreciate your viewpoint and advice! Yes, I chuckled at my pile of potatos when I posted...but I was too tired to change them at this point. I reached a certain point with this piece, and thought I'd ruin it more (like I did with the rocks..they were more angular and squared off in the begining!). Wow - the sky was a challenge, for sure. I also found it difficult, therefore, to decide what is actually my focal point...the stormy sky? the water and reflections? The boat and buildings? Well, thank you for your comments, and your wonderful classes! Adele:clap:
A soon as you put a building, person, vehicle, animal in a painting that by default becomes the focal point unless of course any of these are too small to notice off the bat. Let's not confuse the focal point is over what the painting is about by its largest mass. The painting is about a stormy sky in a gloomy day but the focal area is the fishing village.

susanc
08-25-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2012/1697-nantucket.jpg
Pow!

The colors scanned more saturated than they actually are. The pier looks better in the scan--often things look worse in the scan! The right edge is cut off. The glare on the water actually fades before it hits the right edge of the painting.

It is a real challenge for me to interpret a watercolor into an oil painting so maybe it took a little longer, but it was definitely a good exercise! I tightened it up too much...I liked the looser look I had in the beginning. I'm really looking forward to today's class and thought it was time to finally set this one aside for a bit.

susanc
08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2012/1697-nantucket2.jpg
I played a little bit with it in Photoshop. I think this captures the look a little better. I think I'll try adding a few dark accents under the roofs in Photoshop to see if that will help it any. It does need some more work...

painterted
08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Well here is a rendition of my harbor painting. I added trees and darkened up the foreground pier, I don't know if it works, but I thought I would try it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2012/909312-P1010007.JPG

Rosemarie
08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Wow, Ted! not many details there but a lovely painting!

Tonalist
08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Ted... excellent painting!
woody

hanksgam
08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I finally finished (as far as I am going) the wc for the 18th. Had problems with the rocks and pier. Think I was tired but need to get the class on rocks for sure!
Any feedback is much appreciated! Now on the finish the pastel mission!
Thanks, Randi

hanksgam
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Just looked at the upload and the picture is not this saturated with blue.
I'll try to take another tomorrow if the sun decides to show.
R

Johannes Instructor
08-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Just looked at the upload and the picture is not this saturated with blue.
I'll try to take another tomorrow if the sun decides to show.
R
It is better to take the photo on a cloudy day with the painting facing where the sun would be if showing. The second option is to take the picture in shade. I do not take pictures of my paintings in direct sunlight.

hanksgam
08-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Joe.
It was a bit overcast this morning so I retook the photo. Better than the flash I used last night!
Can't wait to finish my pastel now!
Randi

painterted
08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Thank you Rosemarie, thanks Woody.

ted

pamshowcase
08-31-2012, 02:08 PM
:clap: :clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/174457-Fishing_Village__Johannes_paintalong.JPG
Here's mine. What fun.....
Pam

susanc
09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
It is better to take the photo on a cloudy day with the painting facing where the sun would be if showing. The second option is to take the picture in shade. I do not take pictures of my paintings in direct sunlight.
I had the same problem with the over-saturated blues in my image. I'm glad Randi mentioned it and got your feedback. We don't get overcast skies that often, but now I'm looking forward to it!

Randi, I'm glad you took the 2nd shot of it--such an amazing change in its appearance. The first was good but I like the 2nd version so much better!

Pam--not only the sky, but even your water looks like a storm is on it's way. Plus I love your attitude!

hanksgam
09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Pam, I can almost hear the boating rocking in the water and the wind and rain coming down! Good movement!

pamshowcase
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I had the same problem with the over-saturated blues in my image. I'm glad Randi mentioned it and got your feedback. We don't get overcast skies that often, but now I'm looking forward to it!

Randi, I'm glad you took the 2nd shot of it--such an amazing change in its appearance. The first was good but I like the 2nd version so much better!

Pam--not only the sky, but even your water looks like a storm is on it's way. Plus I love your attitude!
Thanks, we loved places like this when we went to Newfoundland/Nova Scotia.

pamshowcase
09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Pam, I can almost hear the boating rocking in the water and the wind and rain coming down! Good movement!
Thanks, maybe it really is true if you love it you paint it better than you thought you could. Well, anyway with Jo's help.

Marvell
09-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Very nice! I really like your clouds and the way you have the rain coming down.

Marvell
09-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Very nice Artcat! I really like your clouds and the way you handled the rain coming down.

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I finally finished my paintalong in oils 11" by 14". I think it came out pretty good. Any comments and critiques are welcome. Painted on hardboard textured with Liquitex thick gesso with Gamblin oils and Johannes' landscape palette color selection (except I use transparent earth red instead of burnt sienna). Stu

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/175408-PaintAlong32.JPG

LADickerman
09-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Stu, I really like how you put the ocean behind the point.

I worked on this video this morning and I am learning so very much. Jo, you are an excellent teacher and I love your video's. I've been buying one or two a month. I still have to get through the trees and the buildings ones yet. I need more time for art.

Here is my rendition of the August 18th demo in Watercolor on Arches. I start it on Canson then scrapped it and went ot Arches. What a difference the paper makes. My Arches paper was a little bit smaller but I'm much more pleased with the outcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/188330-Harbor_Town_Sept_18.jpg

Lori Anne

paintncook
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I finally finished my paintalong in oils 11" by 14". I think it came out pretty good. Any comments and critiques are welcome. Painted on hardboard textured with Liquitex thick gesso with Gamblin oils and Johannes' landscape palette color selection (except I use transparent earth red instead of burnt sienna). Stu

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/175408-PaintAlong32.JPG
Great job, Stu. I like the strong hues and the way you did the shadows. It really sets a mood. You also did a good job drawing the buildings and perspective. Your water looks so real - nice reflections. The only thing I can see I would want to change is maybe the dark band in the sky that goes all the way across. Perhaps it should be broken up a bit? I wish Johannes would critique these paintalongs so I'd know if what I'm thinking is right or not. Thanks for posting. Kathy

Sgourlayart
09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Great job, Stu. I like the strong hues and the way you did the shadows. It really sets a mood. You also did a good job drawing the buildings and perspective. Your water looks so real - nice reflections. The only thing I can see I would want to change is maybe the dark band in the sky that goes all the way across. Perhaps it should be broken up a bit? I wish Johannes would critique these paintalongs so I'd know if what I'm thinking is right or not. Thanks for posting. KathyI agree with you Kathy, and thanks for the compliments and critique. I really thought I was done, but the "fresh eyes" look you gave it says No! I will rework the sky a little and repost. I am still working on quite a few of the paintalongs and will eventually post them all. Although I really like Jo's critiques, a lot of us have learned so much from him that I think we do a pretty good job of critiqueing each other's work most of the time. I thought you were departing for the Ozarks imminently. Stu

paintncook
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with you Kathy, and thanks for the compliments and critique. I really thought I was done, but the "fresh eyes" look you gave it says No! I will rework the sky a little and repost. I am still working on quite a few of the paintalongs and will eventually post them all. Although I really like Jo's critiques, a lot of us have learned so much from him that I think we do a pretty good job of critiqueing each other's work most of the time. I thought you were departing for the Ozarks imminently. Stu
Well, you are ahead of me on these paintalongs. I haven't had a chance to do any of the last four paintings, I was in Sedona one Sat and worked all the others and had too much else going on inbetween. Leaving for Ozarks in about 2 weeks. Do repost your painting. I still can't get over the slick look you got in the water near the dock - just like it looks in calm water. In reworking, don't touch the area where it's raining - like that too! Kathy

Sgourlayart
09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, you are ahead of me on these paintalongs. I haven't had a chance to do any of the last four paintings, I was in Sedona one Sat and worked all the others and had too much else going on inbetween. Leaving for Ozarks in about 2 weeks. Do repost your painting. I still can't get over the slick look you got in the water near the dock - just like it looks in calm water. In reworking, don't touch the area where it's raining - like that too! KathyHere is my reworked painting after Kathy's critique. I put a break in the big dark cloud hovering over the houses and warmed up the clouds above and echoed some of the pink in the clouds onto the white woodwork of the houses and the rocks and wood in the foreground. I also photographed it in a little better light. Thanks a lot Kathy for a great critique which reminded me of all we have learned from Johannes. Stuhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2012/175408-PaintAlong32c.jpg

Art Leat
09-22-2012, 05:52 AM
I have tried umpteen times to download part 2 of the September 18 paintalong, all unsuccessfully. The downloads start, progress for several minutes, then finally fail. Once I had a message about a server issue.

Has anyone else met this problem. If so, were they able to solve it, and how?

Johannes Instructor
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I have tried umpteen times to download part 2 of the September 18 paintalong, all unsuccessfully. The downloads start, progress for several minutes, then finally fail. Once I had a message about a server issue.

Has anyone else met this problem. If so, were they able to solve it, and how?

What Sept 18 paint along? This was during Kenneth's course.

Sgourlayart
09-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Jo, he obviously means "August 18" and needs help with that download. Stu

Johannes Instructor
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Sometimes northlight's site will go down. You need to keep insisting. Also maybe your connection got broken in between the download time.

Art Leat
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi Jo,

After another couple of tries, I've at last managed to get the download.

It seems like, as you say, I've been the victim of Northlight outages or broken connections.

Thanks for your help, and

Kind regards,

Art Leat

Art Leat
10-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Attached my belated effort for the August 18 Paintalong. All C&Cs welcomehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2012/33584-straighten2.JPEG