PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Illustrated Journal Pages Exch

DanaT
07-27-2003, 02:52 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Illustrated Journal Pages Exch
Project Leader: DanaT
Relative Difficulty: Easy
Type Restrictions: Illustration
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 14
Maximum participants allowed: 8

Description:

This is a group project for people who have always wanted to make an illustrated journal but didn't know where to start. We'll have fun illustrating beautiful journal pages and make our own journals with pages that have been created by everyone in the group. It's an opportunity to try new mediums and subject matter, do something fun, and share with a group of likeminded artists.

Each person chooses a color theme, designs a 5.5"x8.5" cover for their own journal and posts the cover in the progress entries section. Then everyone illustrates 16 individual 5.5" x 7.5" pages to be split among all the participants' journals. When illustrating pages for someone else, each person keeps in mind the color theme and cover of the journal they're creating the page for. The paper itself doesn't have to match the color theme though.

When everyone is finished, we mail the pages for each journal to its owner and when everyone has all their pages, we post them in finished entries. Lastly, we'll walk through some simple and inexpensive bookbinding techniques to complete our journals.

Some reference links to get you going: sample pages from other journals (incl. the diary of Frida Kahlo) and some sources for inexpensive paper.

A standard 22"x30" sheet of decorative paper can yield 16 5.5 x 7.5 in pages and cost less than $4. For computer-generated text or images, check to make sure the paper is compatible with your printer.

To keep the project manageable and the amount spent on postage reasonable, the number of participants is limited to no more than 8. You have 2 weeks to sign up after which the project is closed.

As soon as the project is closed, we'll determine how many pages for each journal everyone will do (for example, if 8 sign up, everyone will illustrate 2 pages for each journal)

When you sign up, pm me, DanaT with your mailing address (to be distributed ONLY to participants of this project) and come say hi in the project thread and let us know your color theme. You can then start designing your cover page.

Have fun! :)

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=484)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

DanaT
07-27-2003, 03:13 PM
OK its here! :) I hope we get a good crowd going on this. It should be a lot of fun!

jwaskey
07-28-2003, 01:41 AM
alright... ya got another one.

Cheers, Jason

DanaT
07-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Cheers Jason! Welcome to the project. I think we have 4 now! Woohoo, we're halfway there! (We don't NEED eight but it would be nice to have)

Don't forget to pm me your mailing address and post your color scheme here. Until everyone's signed in, you can start working on your cover.

PS Mine's gonna be blue.

Welcome, judith, pastelist, and jason!

pastelist
07-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi Dana and Jason,

I have signed up and now I have to choose my color scheme.
I have chosen the color red, like my studio. Can't wait to begin.
Thanks for allowing me to participate.

:clap:

AriadneArts
07-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Alright, I'm in. This should be very interesting. I haven't decided on my colors yet. When I start the cover, it'll probably tell me. ;)

DanaT
07-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Welcome Eileen!

When you get a chance, pm me your mailing address so others can mail you their pages for your journal.

Never fear, guys, the mailing addresses will be distributed ONLY to the participants of this project! (because we rock!) and the group is limited to eight so you're not giving your address out to the whole world.

Mandy Valin
07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Woo I signed up! ;P

My colours are gonna be light bluegreen-grey colours (think cloudy rainy colours)

So we're gonna bind the journal when we're finished right? So should we make a front cover and back cover? or does it not matter?

~Mandie

DanaT
07-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Mandie,

Welcome to the project! Good question. Yes, we need a back cover for the binding but it doesn't have to be illustrated. It could be something as simple as a nice handmade paper affixed to a cardboard support.

DanaT
07-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Drat, I'm going to have to wait till the weekend to shop for this. Don't you find the shopping for paper and supplies is the most fun? :)

BeyondTheNineSquares
07-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Okay, I'm in! I've never done anything like this before and that seemed like reason enough to do it!

Since my photography of late has been largely mountains in mist, bodies of water, and skies, I guess I'll choose blue for my color!

Mandy Valin
07-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Shopping is the best part! I love having all those shiney new perfect art supplies!

Could you explain a little on how we are gonna bind the book? I dont know a lot about it, the only way Ive ever done it is with a single piece or cardboard as the front , back and side.

!Mandie

AriadneArts
07-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi Martha! Nice to see you here.

Dana, I have a question about the illustrated pages we're going to exchange. Are these meant to be a whole page work of art or an illustrated page with room for the recipient to write on?

DanaT
07-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Eileen, I had thought of an illustrated book but since we can illustrate both sides of the page, it will be fun to completely illustrate one side and leave some room on the other side for writing. Excellent suggestion! Thanks.

Mandie, excellent question. I have to consult my bookbinder :p Rose Queen. But seriously I think a piece of cardboard on back and front will be fine. It will work for at least one of the binding methods we talked about.

If you want to just decorate the paper for the cover for now then Rose and I will nail down the binding details shortly.

This is my first time too. I just know I'm gonna learn a lot.

DanaT
07-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Welcome Martha. Thanks also for making the suggestion about leaving room to write!

AriadneArts
07-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24397

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_scratchbd_peacock_feather.jpg

Here's a WIP of my Journal Cover. It's scratchboard--5 x 7. I'm going to color in the peacock feather with inks in peacock colors--teal blue, green, purple and bronze. I plan to put it behind a mat of black leather.

DanaT
07-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24397

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_scratchbd_peacock_feather.jpg

Wow Eileen! It looks even better close up. I bet the colors and the black matting are really going to set it off. I look forward to seeing the final.

h20color
07-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi,
I think I just signed up but I'm not sure what happened to my sign in-Well, at any rate this should be fun I believe. I'm looking forward to the challenge to do 16 works.

My colors are nuetrals this time. You know the usual ivory, tans, pale teals, pale anything. How's that for a beginning.

I do watercolors so that is what my cover will be in. I'll check back soon as I'm off for the week to a painting workshop. Let me know what else I need to do.
Thanks and look forward to all the talent I'll be collecting in the future.

Marilyn

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DanaT

Wow Eileen! It looks even better close up. I bet the colors and the black matting are really going to set it off. I look forward to seeing the final.

Thanks Dana. I've ordered irridescent inks from Dick Blick. Can't color it until they arrive. But I can make the covers and mat it. Sooooo, I'm off to shop for black leather this weekend. This is going to be fun.

Dana, it looks like we've filled the participant quota.

Welcome H20Color! You are registered and the project is now full. Look forward to seeing your work.

h20color
07-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Glad I made the cut-I must have been surfing at the right time. Tomorrow I'll put my thinking cap on and try and do something exciting for this-hmmmmm.

It is so late here that I'm off to dream land unless the kids are partying in the woods behind our house and raising all kinds of noise at 2 or 3 in the morning then it will be fun trying to dream. Things in the woods here have been quiet for a few years but a new crop of youth has discovered the out of the way party place-again.

See you all tomorrow

Marilyn

h20color
07-30-2003, 12:36 AM
I wanted to say how great your feather is Eileen. I have a pen and ink drawing a friend of mine did years ago of a feather and i quite enjoy it and the detail of yours is great also. Lots of little fine things to draw right? I would be blind by now.

Good nite

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by h20color
I wanted to say how great your feather is Eileen. I have a pen and ink drawing a friend of mine did years ago of a feather and i quite enjoy it and the detail of yours is great also. Lots of little fine things to draw right? I would be blind by now.

Good nite

Thank you, Marilyn. Yes, it's a wonder I didn't go blind. It took me 7 hours and I didn't take a break, I got so involved. :D

DanaT
07-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by AriadneArts

Dana, it looks like we've filled the participant quota.

Yes you're right! We have a full house now. :D

Well I guess we can get started early. I hope everyone is having fun doing their covers. When you're ready, post your cover in the Progress Entries section and when we bind our books, we'll upload the covers and all the pages in the Finished Gallery section (plus a shot of the finished book)

A few simple rules:

Label your uploads with your screenname and color scheme, and if you wish a title for your journal. For example my cover would be DanaT-Blue-Dreams-front cover

Post your covers and any pages that you receive in the mail for your journal in the Progress Entries sections for now.

When you're ready to bind your journal, post the final cover, all the pages, and photo of the final bound book in the Gallery (Finished)

Only post pages that will go in YOUR final journal. Don't post the pages you are sending to others in the group. Let them post the pics when they receive the pages. You can mail the pages as soon as you finish them, you don't have to finish all the pages to start mailing. That way we can start seeing some posts sooner rather than later. I'll send out a mailing list to all of you later this week.

Clear as mud? :p I thought so. Any questions, just fire them away.

PS. Eileen, I'll ask the moderator to move your WIP to the Progress Entry section for you.

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 11:25 AM

PS. Eileen, I'll ask the moderator to move your WIP to the Progress Entry section for you.

Dana, no need to move it. It's *in* the Progress section. That's where I always put my project WIPs. :D

Don't know why the "subject" section in the Progress gallery comments says "Comment on final entry" but it always has ever since they set up the new project system. :rolleyes:

DanaT
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
:confused: that's what I figured!

I need to not do this when its time for bed. :p

Mandy Valin
07-30-2003, 12:53 PM
hey everyone!

before I got started I just wanted to ask, is there any guidelins of what to illustrate in another persons journal? Or anything?
Maybe people could post some of their interests so we have at least a little to go by. I'd hate to draw something for someone else and have it turno ut to be something theyre not at all interested in.

DanaT
07-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Good question, Alde. I thought of the same thing. That's why I'm thinking that a color theme and a journal title would give people some direction on what to design for your journal. BTW, my title is NOT Dreams. LOL

But I think the easiest and most fun way to find out our likes and dislikes is to check out everybody's artwork.

You can click on the 'Search' button in the bottom of a member's post to pull up a window with everything that member has posted. Or you can click on the profile button and the window that shows up has a link to all the threads a member has started. That has a better chance of showing you the artwork.

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 02:05 PM
All the foregoing is interesting, but I have some hesitation about tailoring my art to fit someone else's "taste." I think I'm going to just go ahead and illustrate the pages with art that is "me." And I would like the pages of my journal which are by other artists to reflect each artist's own vision. Just MHO. As far as I'm concerned, use whatever colors you like and do whatever art you feel at the moment of creating it. I'll be happier with pieces that are unique to each artist and which will trigger fond memories of that artist when I view them. That's simply my personal POV. Not necessarily right for everyone else. :)

DanaT
07-30-2003, 02:11 PM
That's fine too, Eileen. Any of your artwork would be a pleasure to have.

DanaT
07-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Well I did put Dreams in my title. I couldn't get the word out of my head.

A Secret Place - a Journal of Dreams

:)

BeyondTheNineSquares
07-30-2003, 08:24 PM

Looking good! Wow, you are amazing! I haven't even figured out how I'm going to constuct my cover and you're well on your way to completion! Yikes!

Good work!

AriadneArts
07-30-2003, 09:34 PM
That's fine too, Eileen. Any of your artwork would be a pleasure to have.

Thank you, Dana. What a lovely thing to say.

Originally posted by BeyondTheNineSquares

Looking good! Wow, you are amazing! I haven't even figured out how I'm going to constuct my cover and you're well on your way to completion! Yikes!

Good work!

Thanks so much for the nice remarks, Martha.

Don't worry about *constructing* your cover. Just begin a piece of your own art in the required size and have fun with it. The construction and binding will be the last thing we all do.

BeyondTheNineSquares
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24431

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/11269/tn_journal_cover_4_resized.JPG

Here's the beginning of the cover design for my journal. The title is "My Inspiration" which sums it all up nicely. It's a collage of nature photographs (and a couple of "bad art day" pieces) from my recent vacation to the Carolinas. Since my friends and the world around us are my inspiration in life and in art, the title of the journal for this project was easy to come up with!

I may mat this is some way and use that for the "cover" (with perhaps some favorite quotes hand written on the matting) or I may print it on transfer paper and iron it onto cloth, either canvas or muslin, which will become my cover (and provide an opportunity to add a bit more "color" to the cover in other ways) but time will tell!

DanaT
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24431

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/11269/tn_journal_cover_4_resized.JPG

Amazing Martha! I even like your bad art! :p My favorites though are the overhanging branch and the duck. Those trees remind me so much of the Lowcountry. Ah, I'm getting homesick.

BeyondTheNineSquares
07-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Dana! That one's my fav too! It'll make a fun painting perhaps. Yikes, I am getting so many ideas for future art projects that I need to be independently wealthy so I can pay the mortgage and find time to create!

judithj
07-31-2003, 10:13 AM
OK - here is the start of my cover. Title: Cheesy Dreams - Dana - looks like both of us are into dreams...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_progress2.php?userid=17659&proj_id=484

I've been trying to loose weight and have been avoiding cheese. I love cheese - so my journal cover is an ode to Cheese and my colours are all cheese colours with dark purple and true blue highlights for fun.

I have written a poem to go with my journal cover and here it is:

Cheddar, Gouda, Farmers, Brie,
Lots and lots of cheese for me.
Cheesy, Cheesy, Cheesy dreams,
Oozing down in melted streams.

I love the Feather Eileen, and Martha, your college looked very inspirational indeed - the photo didn't come in very good for me - looked like your software was having a bad jpg encryption day:cat:

Anyways, I am really looking forward to seeing more of all of your art.

Joyfully, Judith

DanaT
07-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh judithj, cheezy art! I love it. Looks like cheese's answer to the Cookie Monster. That poem seems like a dieter's obsession.

Well its raining on Saturday so I may not get to go plein aire painting. But on the good side, I can get some stuff for my cover and start working on that! :)

This is a good indoor project for rainy days, and God knows we have enough rainy days here. :rolleyes:

Mandy Valin
07-31-2003, 10:30 AM
Judith! That is the coolest poem I've ever read!!
Awesome cover too! :D Love it!!!

~Mandie

judithj
07-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Oh judithj, cheezy art! I love it. Looks like cheese's answer to the Cookie Monster. That poem seems like a dieter's obsession.

CHEESE!!!! Give me CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!

Giggle, Giggle, Giggle, Giggle, Giggle Rainy days are great for working on journals!!!!

Originally posted by Mandie
Judith! That is the coolest poem I've ever read!!
Awesome cover too! Love it!!!

Hi Mandie - Thanks! Hope to have lots of fun with it.

Warmest Regards, Judith

BeyondTheNineSquares
07-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Judith, I'm right there with you on the cheese issue!

Thanks for the encouraging words on my cover. Mine did seem to upload strangely. When I clicked on the thumbnail it became REALLY HUGE and somewhat distorted. Not at all like the original file on my pc at home! How odd!

Oh, well. I hope it gives people some help with their pages if they want it. I, frankly, believe the title provides all the help some of you will want. I'm open to inspiration in whatever form (or color) you all wish to provide it!

DanaT
07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Martha,

If you send the file to me. I'll fix it and tell you what I did for next time.

:)

AriadneArts
07-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24452

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/17659/tn_cover.jpg

Wonderful, Judith. I love the manic look in the eyes and bared teeth. LOL. Truly a story of cheese deprivation! :D

AriadneArts
07-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24431

Looks like you're off to a great start, Martha. Your image is very, very large and quite pixelated on my monitor, unfortunately. But from what I can tell, it's looking good.

jwaskey
08-01-2003, 04:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24509

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/3888/tn_curios.jpg

Howdy all.

I've uploaded the beginnings of my cover.

I'll add the text later.

The title: "curios"
"A curious or unusual object of art or piece of bric-a-brac" (dictionary.com)

I'm not really expecting any bric a brac. :)

The title should leave room many possibilities for all.

I've chosen a color scheme of rust .

Looking forward to the results!

Jason

PS

I didn't see a butt icon when I was uploading the image, and it won't let me edit it (as far as I can see...). Sorry.

DanaT
08-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24509

Wow, I like this Jason. Has a very classical feel!

In fact your cover image reminds me of one of Michelangelo's Sybils on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel.

judithj
08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jwaskey

She is very beautiful - such a feeling of history... Quite grace and dignity.

-Judith

AriadneArts
08-01-2003, 11:22 AM

This is lovely, Jason. The colors you chose give it a warmth and richness. Very nice.

jwaskey
08-01-2003, 03:23 PM

Wow, I like this Jason. Has a very classical feel!

In fact your cover image reminds me of one of Michelangelo's Sybils on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel. [/B]

Thank you Dana. The image is an antique photo from 1000 Nudes Volume I published by Taschen

Originally posted by judithj

She is very beautiful - such a feeling of history... Quite grace and dignity.

-Judith

Thanks Judith. The book (mentioned above) has some wonderful imagery, especially from the beginnings of photography.

This is lovely, Jason. The colors you chose give it a warmth and richness. Very nice.

Ariadne,

Thank you.

edited for style

AriadneArts
08-01-2003, 06:51 PM

The image is an antique photo from 1000 Nudes Volume I published by Taschen

So then, Jason. Is this your interpretation of the nude or is it a reproduction of the actual photo?

jwaskey
08-02-2003, 01:53 PM

So then, Jason. Is this your interpretation of the nude or is it a reproduction of the actual photo?

Very much an interpretation. Reference provided pose and shading.

Cheers,

jason

AriadneArts
08-02-2003, 02:40 PM

Very much an interpretation. Reference provided pose and shading.

Cheers,

jason

Well, you do top-notch work, Jason. Really lovely. :clap:

DanaT
08-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Beautiful eveybody! :D

Well I just went to Pearl Paint and broke the bank on art supplies :rolleyes:

But now I've got a bunch of goodies to start my cover with. :clap:

DanaT
08-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24628

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_FrontCoverWIP.jpg

Well there's no great artwork on it yet but I just had to show you the great paper I got at Pearl Paint. :)

Now to just figure out what to put in the frame.

--------------------

Here's the back of the front cover. It may end up being the front. The corners at the bottom don't meet and that's bugging me tho. I may try to fix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_FrontCoverWIPb.jpg

AriadneArts
08-03-2003, 11:33 AM
I like what you've chosen for your cover, Dana. I think it's going to look great. As for me, I'm changing my mind. I don't think I'll use the scratchboard feather. I'm afraid of ruining it by coloring it and I'd like some color. Sooooo, I'm planning to paint a peacock feather (I think). I've got some pearlescent acrylic inks coming from Blicks next week. Now I'm thinking a colored peacock feather on parchment. I also have another idea of a whole peacock. We'll see.

AriadneArts
08-03-2003, 04:16 PM
My New Cover Painting:

Sumi and Chinese pigments on Mattson paper 4 x 6

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24675

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_sumi_e_1_resz.jpg

This is a painting I did several weeks ago and is the appropriate size. It fits my chosen theme and it solves my "what should my cover be?" dilemma. :D I plan to put it behind sapphire blue matboard. So my journal will have a landscape (horizontal) format rather than the usual portrait (vertical) format.

DanaT
08-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24675

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_sumi_e_1_resz.jpg

Oooh, Eileen. I love your blue peacock! His head makes a nice shape against the background.

Well I've found a drawing for the cover but I'll have to re-do it, its too large for the book. (At 16x20, I guess so! LOL)

judithj
08-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Nuts - the browser seems to have just ate my response.

Just wanted to let you know Dana that I really like the paper and Eileen - the peacock is beautiful.

I hope to finish my mouse tonight.

Warmest Regards, judith

Tamana
08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
This seems like a lot of fun. Way to connect people to one another through beauty Dana!!

I can't wait to see all the finished journals!

AriadneArts
08-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24675

Oooh, Eileen. I love your blue peacock! His head makes a nice shape against the background.

Well I've found a drawing for the cover but I'll have to re-do it, its too large for the book. (At 16x20, I guess so! LOL)

Thank you, Dana, for your nice comments.

Dana, it occurs to me that you might scan your drawing and reduce it in size to fit your journal and then print it out on some nice art paper. Do you think that would work?

AriadneArts
08-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Thank you for your lovely comments, Judith.

Here's a mock-up of my cover. After I scanned the whole thing and looked at it, it occurred to me it might look like a greeting card! :( What do y'all think? I'm planning to use the same gold paper to face the inside pages of the covers.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24753

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_jnl_cover_1.jpg

BeyondTheNineSquares
08-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Eileen, if that's a "greeting card" it's the sort that I buy at art galleries by hopeful artists that want to sell me their very expensive works of art! Good job!

Dana, love the paper!

Just returned home from my favorite bookstore, and have journal page ideas lurking around in my head. Hmmm. Wonder what I'll do first?

AriadneArts
08-06-2003, 03:48 AM
Well, I ordered my paper and I'm tapping my foot, waiting for it. I'm psyched about the journal, and I've been pondering how to bind it. So, I decided to do a couple of practice journals today, while I await my special paper. I'm pleased with the results. I gave the first one to my hubby, who quite likes it.

This is a fairly simple, but elegant way to bind a small book. Twelve pp 8.5 x 11 typing bond, folded in half to make 48 pp in all, signature bound. Cover is 9 x 12 Strathmore Art Paper,cut in half. Sewn together with linen thread. Artwork is 4 x 6 sumi-e and Chinese pigments.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24858

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_cat_sumi-e_jnl_no_2.jpg

Oh and thanks everybody for your nice comments on my planned peacock cover.

DanaT
08-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24858

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_cat_sumi-e_jnl_no_2.jpg

This really has an Oriental feel to it, Eileen. I like the binding too. We are getting individual sheets so sheets would have to be combined to make a signature. That's doable; Rose is showing me how but I'm also looking at binding methods that don't require signatures. My favorite so far is the accordian binding.

AriadneArts
08-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24858

This really has an Oriental feel to it, Eileen. I like the binding too. We are getting individual sheets so sheets would have to be combined to make a signature. That's doable; Rose is showing me how but I'm also looking at binding methods that don't require signatures. My favorite so far is the accordian binding.

Hi Dana. The first journal which I gave to my husband is not signature bound but is bound exactly like this. You don't have to do it in signature. The instructions are not for signature binding--I just decided to do my second one that way. Here's the link:
http://www.zumgaligali.com/projects/bookbinding/book_5st_1.html
Accordion binding sounds like fun to try too, but wouldn't you have to paste the pages together?

DanaT
08-06-2003, 11:15 AM
For accordian binding, you just paste each page to the accordian. I haven't found the perfect weight for the accordian but when I do, the binding seems pretty easy.

AriadneArts
08-06-2003, 12:19 PM
For accordian binding, you just paste each page to the accordian. I haven't found the perfect weight for the accordian but when I do, the binding seems pretty easy.

If we're going to paste each page to a backing, then we would only illustrate one side of the page, right? And we'd be writing on the accordion binding?

DanaT
08-06-2003, 01:25 PM
The accordian folds are only 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. The pages only need a a blank area a half inch on the sides to accomodate the binding.

Rose Queen
08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
I saw this 2004 engagement calendar in a class I took recently with a member of the Somerset Studios staff and it is so gorgeous and so on point with the journals you're making that I had to call it to your attention:

http://www.stampington.com/html/art_journal_calendar_2004.html

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

judithj
08-07-2003, 10:39 PM
OK - I just uploaded my finished cover.

Not sure what to do next.

Thanks, Judith

DanaT
08-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24943

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/17659/tn_cover-done.jpg

Brava, judithj! This mouse looks like a shady character. ;) Hmm, i have ideas for your pages now.

I'm doing some boring housework today but then I want to finish my cover and start on the pages.

judith, if you have everything, you can go ahead and start on your pages. The rest of us wont be far behind you.

Tamana
08-08-2003, 11:21 AM
:cool: yay JJ!! Looks like he's in cheese heaven. ;)

This is so fun to watch, guys. There's a bonding through creation and sharing. I wish I had the time to participate. :( Maybe in another month or so. :)

AriadneArts
08-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24943

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/17659/tn_cover-done.jpg

Wow, that's one manically happy and mischevious mouse. Well done, Judith!

AriadneArts
08-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24971

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_feather_purple_jnl_1a.jpg

Here's my 3rd journal experiment. This has 5 sections of 8 signature-bound 8 1/2 by 11 pages to make a total of 160 8.5 x 5.5 pp. It was fun to do. The cover is painted with walnut and irridescent acrylic inks. Boy, do you have to work fast with the acrylic inks. They dry super fast and ruined 1 crow quill nib in the process. But the results are rather nice. Takes some getting used to to paint with them, though.

I posted 5 different views of this journal in the WIP gallery to show how it was put together.

Okay, time to start on the 16 pages for this project now. ;). I'll begin today.

judithj
08-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your kind words everyone!

Dana - you mentioned that if I have everything - what is everything? Just the paper? I have lots of paper. I was going to use Stone Henge - Is that OK?

Are you guys making the binding before you do the pages? I have never done any book binding.

Thanks, Judith

judithj
08-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Hi Eileen!

Your purple book is really beautiful - an inspiration.

-jj

AriadneArts
08-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for your kind words everyone!

Dana - you mentioned that if I have everything - what is everything? Just the paper? I have lots of paper. I was going to use Stone Henge - Is that OK?

Are you guys making the binding before you do the pages? I have never done any book binding.

Thanks, Judith

Judith, Dana is going to walk us through different binding ideas and then walk us through whatever binding we choose. I have just become very enthusiastic and have been researching binding methods--I'd never bound a book before either. Just thought I'd share what this wonderful project has inspired in me while I wait for my paper, which should arrive this coming week.
Hi Eileen!

Your purple book is really beautiful - an inspiration.

-jj

Thanks for your lovely comment on my latest effort. :D

DanaT
08-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Judithj,

We're not binding the books yet. Just do the pages. We plan to have some binding options for single sheets and signatures but you don't have to worry about that for now.

Well, I cleaned up yesterday so I'm running out of excuses not to start my artprojects. LOL

judithj
08-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Well, I cleaned up yesterday so I'm running out of excuses not to start my artprojects. LOL

Hey Dana - If you need more excuses - you can come by my house and help me clean :D My basement is scary - I think the room itself has been possessed by the MESS gremlin. I am sure if I looked at that mess enough I would beable to see eyes and a great big grin. I guess that is my trouble - looking too much, thinking too much and not organizing enough. :rolleyes:

-jj

Rose Queen
08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
When you get down to actually writing in these journals, you might find this site inspiring: http://www.dailywriting.net/

Diana in hot and muggy So. Cal.

AriadneArts
08-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the link, Diana. There's a lot there to explore.

Yes, the heat and humidity--ain't SoCal grand in the summertime?
I hardly venture outside these days--too far away from the a/c. ;) Does make for stir craziness, though. :D

h20color
08-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Just returned today from my wet workshop--good thing I've decided on nuetrals etc for my journal cover-all I saw was fog and grey-gray the whole time. The fog was with me for 10 days-and now I know how to paint fog. My journal cover will probably be moldy looking. Latest weather report for central New York calls for heavy rain-ugh! Maine news stated they had the worst road traffic ever in their history last week. Guess who was in the middle of it both ways.

Okay, okay, enough gripping-now on to the fun part to be posted hopefully in a few days.

All the work everyone has produced looks absolutely wonderful, imaginative and creative :clap: so the bar is set high and its time to produce.

Marilyn

Rose Queen
08-11-2003, 08:49 PM
More...er, help in journal writing -- I laughed until my face hurt: http://www.themanwhofellasleep.com/journal.html
:D

h20color
08-11-2003, 11:44 PM
The link you gave Rose Queen is too funny. I agree with you: my cheeks hurt. How did you find this?

I hope I'm that innovative when I write my journal but in the meantime, I have to create a cover.

Cheers, Marilyn

AriadneArts
08-12-2003, 11:09 AM
Diana, methinks you have entirely too much time on your hands. How do you find this stuff? ROFLMBO!

Well, I'm still waiting for my delivery of beautiful papers which should be here any day now. I hope today. Meanwhile I looked through dog eared magazine issue 6, which features miniature books, and found a Coptic stitch book binding tutorial. So, of course, today I'm going to try a journal using it.

I've been gathering ideas for the illustrated pages for our exchange and taking notes. I did one page on parchment--an owl in ink and watercolour, but the parchment didn't take the wc well--now it's got many hills and valleys--LOL. It's a bit of a puzzle to me how to use paper that will take wet media well but also be "writeable" on the reverse side. Now I'm thinking I'll use heavy wc paper for the art and adhere it to a writeable support. That's one idea, anyway.

I'd love to hear from the rest of you about your ideas on paper for the illustrated pages.

h20color
08-13-2003, 11:47 PM
AriadneArts

That is the way I'm handling my illustrations by using Winsor-Newton 140# watercolor paper and adhering it to another paper source that is writable. All my papers will be acid free for longevity.

My journal cover is multi-layers and different effects that hopefully I can upload this weekend as progression stages. I'm also thinking of using the acid free dots to adhere my papers together. You could use a finer paper weight such as hotpress #90 pound and that has a smooth writing surface. Hot press paper is also available from Arches, Fabriano, Lana to name a few.

If anyone is looking for another paper resource try Daniel Smith as they have many types of papers available, also book binding supplies. You can find them at www.danielsmith.com. They are very helpful, informative and carry excellent quality supplies. Their new catalog has just been sent out but check out their web-site as it is very informative. (Maybe everyone is already aware of this site so feel free to ignore this information).

Marilyn

AriadneArts
08-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi Marilyn. You've got some good ideas there. I won't use 90# paper--way too thin--140# is the lightest I'd go. I have some handmade 300# paper, very nice, deckled edges--actually got it at Daniel Smith, now that I think of it. ;) Think I'll probably use it, but I've also got lots of other kinds of paper. I'm thinking some collage along with wet media. I've got archival PVA adhesive as well as acid-free self-adhesive hinging tissue for adhering.

I look forward to seeing your cover soon. Sounds lovely. I guess everyone else is busy. This sure is a slow-moving, lazy-summer-days project, eh? I've gone full steam ahead into book-binding and book art now. LOL. I've already done three journals and two mini-books, all bound with different techniques. Hope I'm not burned out by the time everybody's on board. :rolleyes: I have begun the illustrated pages already. I've started with ones for people whose covers I've seen, so I get some inspiration for what I'll do for that person. After that, it's anybody's guess. I'll just do what I like and distribute them eeny-meeny-miney-mo, I reckon. :D

h20color
08-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Yikes, I just uploaded my first step in journal illustrating and I can not get over how pink my white papers look. I will have to also upload another more defined closeup that isn't furry. Must be my eyes as I haven[t had my coffee yet.

I like the idea DanaT did with wrapping her paper around foam core and if it is acid free that is that much better for the future.

More to follow

Marilyn

AriadneArts
08-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=25283

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/9137/tn_journal_progress1.jpg

This looks really lovely, Marilyn. I'd love to see a larger photo of it--can't see the brass goodies or any detail too well.

AriadneArts
08-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=25408

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/9137/tn_The_journal_End72.jpg

Wonderful back cover, Marilyn. So, I assume now you're doing your pages?

I've done dummies of around 8 pages, have finished 4 final versions and am working on the 5th. I'm attaching my artwork to a folded sheet of parchment, so the reverse is writeable. I'm happy with the results.

Hey, where is everybody else? Yoo Hoooooooooooo! :confused: :D

Mandy Valin
08-24-2003, 07:53 AM
wow Ive missed a lot!! Been out, my computer has that blasterworm jobber there, and we lost a ton of stuff on the computer when we tried to get rid of it, then decided to clean the whole thing up. Will scan my cover as soon as I find the scanner software cd *gulp* Its around here somewhere!! Nice covers all!!

~Mandie

AriadneArts
08-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi Mandie. Oh, terrible that you caught that worm! Glad you're on the mend now. I look forward to seeing your cover.

h20color
08-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi, Eileen

I didn't want you to think you were the only one out there slaving away. Yup I'm slaving away trying to think of more exciting things to paint.

Have a family wedding end of week so I won't be posting anything till I get that off the schedule me thinks.

I'll be glad to post a macro of the goodies I'm adding but I don't have time to work on that till after September 1. Yes--I too am wondering where everyone is hiding? Perhaps they have all 16 pages almost completed.

See you all next week.

Marilyn

AriadneArts
08-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi, Eileen

I didn't want you to think you were the only one out there slaving away.
Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn. Have fun at the wedding. See you after Labor Day. :D

DanaT
08-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Hi ladies!

Everything is so cool! Yes, Eileen, this is turning out to be a lazy late summer project LOL. I had the opportunity to do some plein aire painting and figured I'd better take advantage of it while the weather's good. Didn't realize how exhausted I'd be when it was over.

Now I'm thinking that my paper isn't strong enough. I got the Canson Mi-Teintes for my pages. Eileen, you don't think that's strong enough for a book. I think I have some 140 lb watercolor paper somewhere.

AriadneArts
08-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi Dana. Hey, good to hear from you, girl. ;) I was afraid this project was petering out. :(

But I didn't say Mi-Teintes wasn't strong enough for a book. I think you may be referring to a conversation I had with Marilyn about paper strong enough to do watercolor on without it buckling. I said I wouldn't go lighter than 140 lb. Even 140lb will buckle if you paint fairly wet. Depends on what you're going to do on the Mi-Teintes. It's only, I think, about 75lb. I think it would be fine for pastels, charcoal, and many other media. But, if you're going to use the reverse side for journaling, I'd do my art on the "orange peel" side cuz I think it'd be difficult to write on that side, or adhere it to a paper that has a good writing surface. I'm attaching my art work to folded parchment and it seems to be working out just fine. I'm using "YES" paste and I love it. Very little or no buckling on the reverse. I love Mi-Teintes paper and it comes in nice colors.

So, have you finished your cover yet? I'm eager to see yours and the rest of the gang's covers. I've got five pages finished and 5 or so rough drafts which I'm beginning to finalize. Wooohoooo! I'm loving this project! It's got me binding books and now I'm ready to make my very first batch of paper! I just never know what a WC project is going to get me into. But it's all good.....:D

DanaT
08-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey Eileen,

Great going! I hadn't thought about the writing on Mi-Teintes. I do have parchment paper though.

I messed up my cover, got glue all over it. So I need to redo it but that's no problem. I'll post it this weekend and if I'm really on the ball I'll do some pages and send yours to you first .

:D

AriadneArts
08-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Hi Dana. Sorry about your cover. Drat! Now you've got to do it over. :(

Thanks, but no rush-- you don't have to send my pages first. However, if you insist.....:evil: :D

DanaT
08-27-2003, 02:30 AM
Hmm, maybe its a good idea for everyone to check in and tell us where they are.

judithj
08-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi Dana!

I have done my cover - will start the pages sortly.

-jj

DanaT
08-29-2003, 08:45 AM
great judith! :)

DanaT
08-31-2003, 06:17 PM
OK, I started my cover over. Its looking great, just got to get more gold paper. I'll start on the pages this week. Anybody sent out any pages yet? :)

DanaT
09-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26115

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_cover2.jpg

Well you can't tell from the thumbnail but my Guardian Dream Angel is on the cover. I'm gonna develop her a bit more then start on my pages. Colored pencils aren't as opaque as I thought. :)

AriadneArts
09-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26115

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_cover2.jpg

This is looking very nice, Dana. I love the handmade paper it's on.

Rose Queen
09-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24973

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_feather_purple_jnl_1c.JPG

Wow! Lovely execution and in my favorite color, too! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rose Queen
09-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=25408

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/9137/tn_The_journal_End72.jpg

Very cool indeed, although from the child's age (you, I presume?) I'd say it was more of a preface. Cute and well composed, just the same! :clap:

Rose Queen
09-04-2003, 08:41 AM

This is wonderful; really an exquisite piece of work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

h20color
09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi Rose Queen,

True, it is I- a long time ago obviously.

Also true, it does look more as a preface-maybe I'll change it.

I actually started on my pages so I'm slowly getting around to doing something (maybe) with this. I have more fun trying different things that I think if I don't finish the pages first I'll never get anything else done. I have embossed, gold leafed, blah, blah and have more ideas. Maybe this book will become really BIG.

How is everyone else doing with their pages? Hello? Anyone? Anyone? Hellooooooooooo? :evil:

Marilyn

AriadneArts
09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Rose Queen
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24973

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_feather_purple_jnl_1c.JPG

Wow! Lovely execution and in my favorite color, too! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, RQ. It's probably my favorite color too, most of the time, anyway. ;) And I've fallen in love with irridescent inks, although they are far from easy to work with. :rolleyes:

AriadneArts
09-09-2003, 03:16 PM
How is everyone else doing with their pages? Hello? Anyone? Anyone? Hellooooooooooo? :evil:

Marilyn

Hi, Marilyn!

I've finished 8 pages so far, and have done dummies of 3 more, so, I'm plodding along, but I'll get there. ;) I think we all got a bit layback during the summer months. After all, what is summer for? :D Now the weather is cooling a bit (for most of you, at least) perhaps activity on the project will pick up. I'm learning from this project immensely. Got into book-binding and book art in a big way this summer. So far, this has been one of the best projects for me as far as inspiration and motivation.

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26717

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_FrontcoverFinal.jpg

OK here's my cover. h2color, you asked if the project had expired locking us out. It appears everything is A-OK.

Now I'm excited and ready to go on to some pages. :)

How's everybody doing?

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24753

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_jnl_cover_1.jpg

Hi Eileen I like this! I think the frame gives it a literary touch. Nice!

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:23 PM

Wow, sumi's nice too! Is that piano binding?

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24971

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6306/tn_peacock_feather_purple_jnl_1a.jpg

I like this color best. A peacock feather is my kitty's favorite toy!

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=25283

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/9137/tn_journal_progress1.jpg

Neat! This looks almost like golden seaweed!

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:31 PM

How precious! We have a lot of creative people here! :D

DanaT
09-09-2003, 06:35 PM

I'm learning from this project immensely. Got into book-binding and book art in a big way this summer. So far, this has been one of the best projects for me as far as inspiration and motivation.

I'm so glad Eileen. Isn't it great? I'm looking forward to trying new mediums, getting into paper and binding and all that good stuff. This was the first time I'd tried colored pencil. I think its a great antidote to the serious art!

AriadneArts
09-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26717

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/progress/6512/tn_FrontcoverFinal.jpg

Iconographic is the right word. Very nice, also. Well done, Dana!

AriadneArts
09-09-2003, 07:38 PM

Wow, sumi's nice too! Is that piano binding?

Thanks, Dana. The binding is a Japanese Stab binding--a quite simple one, using linen thread.

AriadneArts
09-09-2003, 07:46 PM

Hi Eileen I like this! I think the frame gives it a literary touch. Nice!

Thanks, Dana. I quite like it as it is, myself, now. Guess I should leave well-enough alone. :rolleyes: ;)

DanaT
09-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Oops, can anybody send me the address list? It got lost in my last mailbox purge.

h20color
09-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi Everyone!

Boy am I glad to see everyone is actively working on their projects such an encouragement to hurry and get mine done. I love them all and they are all so different and creative covers so I can imagine what the works will look like.

I feel so much better knowing we are still active and thanks for all the answers to what your doing. True, summer is great for relaxing and hard to get back into the swing of things. I have more things to do than I will ever get done in three lifetimes. How does anyone ever retire and not have anything to do?

Dana I sent a PM with mailing list to you (if I did it correctly). I have definately got to finish all these pages in the next week or two - promise!

Mar

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DanaT
09-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks Marilyn. I got it. I'll be ready to send my first two pages this weekend but I don't won't to send pages if I don't think I'm going to get any back.

Who's doing their pages? Maybe we can exchange between ourselves and wait for the others to come on board.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 07:51 PM

This is inspirational Martha

I love the colours in this one and the thoughts.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26717

This is lovely too. It looks like hand made paper.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 07:53 PM

I like the front & back of this one.

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=24943

This is one deviant cheese muncher lolol

TeAnne
09-13-2003, 07:55 PM

Very luscious. I love the rusty tones.

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Te! I'm afraid it didn't upload as clearly as I had hoped, but I chose the pieces that lead up to it because of the impact they made on me. I think I'm going to stick with it! I've been on fire with my art ever since I returned from my vacation! Jobwise, life is very uncertain just now due to a merger at the bank I've spent nearly 25 years of my life working for, so it's therapy to have art to lose myself in!

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26973

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/completed/11269/tn_journal_cover_idea_with_fog.jpg

Hmmmmmm. Well, for starters I have created a new version of my original cover idea. Before I get into that, I must add that I mistakenly uploaded it to the "finished works" part of the project system instead of the "in progress." I can't delete it or move it and don't want to take up space by uploading it twice to the project. If a moderator has a solution, I'm open to it!

Anyway, I used a photo imaging program to digitally manipulate the original collage and in part added a funky edge to it, but also made the whole thing a bit foggy since the memories and experiences I've had inspire me. I decided that memories are a bit less focused than the actual experience truly was.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm expressing myself well since I am really exhausted! I'd love you opinion as to whether I should stay with the original version, go with this one, or start over!

Thanks!

DanaT
09-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=26973

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/completed/11269/tn_journal_cover_idea_with_fog.jpg

Hi Martha, I like this one best. The leaf pattern is cool!

DanaT
09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks Te

AriadneArts
09-14-2003, 04:14 AM

Hi Martha! I think I like the new version better. It seems more integrated and interesting. I like the look of it better.

BTW, if you want to edit your entry, just go to "My Projects" and click on the appropriate column opposite the project name. You'll see an "edit" or "delete" button. You can delete it and re-upload it.

AriadneArts
09-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by TeAnne

I love the colours in this one and the thoughts.

Thanks so much, Te. Good to see you back on the boards again, GF. :D

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Eileen and Dana! I am going to run with the new version! I'm a wee bit stuck on the project in that most of what I've been doing lately is in OPs and they don't work well in a project like this. They need framing and need spacers and all that to keep the glass off the pigment. I am enjoying my OPs so much it's really hard to motivate myself to put them down and work in another medium. I'll have to, since I want to get this project going! Sigh!

DanaT
09-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi all! Sorry I don't have time for a pm but classes just started and I'm whooped. :)

Everybody that pmed me agrees that doing our own journals is the way to go.

I haven't figured out how to edit the project but go ahead and make your own pages. They are for you. :) And post them when you're ready.

Looking forward to seeing everybody's pages!

(OK, now how do I edit this project??)

AriadneArts
09-16-2003, 10:03 PM

Everybody that pmed me agrees that doing our own journals is the way to go.

I haven't figured out how to edit the project but go ahead and make your own pages. They are for you. :) And post them when you're ready.

Looking forward to seeing everybody's pages!

Okay, Dana. That does make the whole thing a lot simpler. I've got 9 finished pages I can scan. Too tired tonight, so I'll start scanning tomorrow. Thanks.

AriadneArts
09-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=27432

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/completed/6306/tn_collage_-_nihon_no_onna.jpg

Here's the first of the 8 pages I had already completed before we decided not to exchange. My plan was to send 1 collage page to each participant and one book-art page to each. The first 7 are the collage pages and the 8th is a page of book art.

AriadneArts
09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=27438

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/completed/6306/tn_collage_-_cinco_de_mayo_001.jpg

HELLO-O-O-O-O-!

Anybody out there????????? :confused:

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=27442

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/484/completed/6306/tn_illustr_jnl_-_peacock_poem_1c.jpg

Wow! You are really cooking! I'm not there yet, but I will get there! My whole mindset is changing on what I want to do now that I'm doing this for someone I know! lol

What a wonderful mixed media work of art you've done! You seem wonderfully able to set yourself free of convention, and yet create something that's so very expressive! Very nice!

AriadneArts
09-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks so much, Martha, for your lovely comments. I'd never done collage before in my life, so I had fun with these. Never done book art before, either, but I have gotten into it bigtime, due to this project! I'm loving it!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pages. I know what you mean about your whole mindset changing. It feels strange to be keeping these now, because all 8 pages were done with others in mind. :rolleyes:

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-23-2003, 03:44 PM
I haven't many demands on me just now at the office, so I sneaked into WC again! Ooo! I just found a website on "making your own book" that might be interesting for those who haven't decided yet how to pull that off (like me)

Here's the site:

http://www.american.edu/IRVINE/erika/intro.html

Another, much less detailed, site on accordion books is:

http://www.rubberart.com/classes/class62_accordion-books.htm

I haven't totally read either one, but thunder and lightening are coming soon, so I printed them to read later. You might like them!

AriadneArts
09-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the links, Martha. Those are two I missed. Here's one for you:

The Book Arts Web (http://www.philobiblon.com/links.htm)

and another:

Bookbinding Tutorial (http://www.sheilasummers.com/index.html)

h20color
09-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

Well, I'm back FINALLY! Had a interesting beautiful wedding came home and immediately had to leave again for a funeral. I'm really tired of cars right now.

Sorry I didn't get a pm out before I had to leave again. Im sorry that this hasn't worked out for us as I was looking forward to sharing the works and from what I can see they are all beautiful. I feel like I probably should keep mine hidden as the creativity of all of you is wonderful. BUT! If you want to trade one let me know and I'll trade with you. I would still love to have these special works made especially for others as are mine.

Let me know if you like that idea. I really hate to just give up the whole thing :crying:

Marilyn

BeyondTheNineSquares
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the links, Eileen! Welcome home Marilyn! Too bad you had to go from wedding to funeral, but I sure hope things calm down a bit for you.

I think we can probably do the trading pages thing on an individual basis, by PM with eachother or something. That way those who want to trade can do so, and things don't get too confusing for the group. I'm not finished with mine yet, but I think I'm going to do them whichever way suits me, and as for the trading thing, I'll wing it depending on whether anyone still wants to or not.

I do think it's a fun idea, but perhaps the timing was just off.

AriadneArts
09-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi Marilyn. Glad you're home safe now, and I hope things return to normal very quickly.

Martha, that's a good idea re: arranging trades via private message on an individual basis. I've participated in a couple of on-line postcard projects where some of us did just that. That kind of takes the pressure off people, too.

Marilyn, no fair hiding your pages. :( And if you like, I'd be happy to trade with you. I've posted 8 pages in the Final Gallery section. And I'll be posting more as I go. So have a look, and if something strikes you, just pm me. :D

I do hope everyone continues with the project whether they want to trade or not. I'd hate to see it abandoned. :crying:

beadguy
08-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=24943

So how did you do? Did your strategy work? OH the power of the unmentionable "C" word!
Nic

judithj
08-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=24943

So how did you do? Did your strategy work? OH the power of the unmentionable "C" word!
Nic

Hi Nic - I can't remember now what my strategy was - I did find the cheese poem that I wrote. That was pretty cute if I do say so... :)

I did loose some weight - by running up and down a couple of flights of stairs for 30 min a day for most of last year - had to be real careful with the diet too - now I've gone and gained a pile back - it was so hot this summer and that icecream was so good!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMM :rolleyes:

-Judith

beadguy
08-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Judith:
My wife and I began the South Beach Diet in May of 2004. During the year ending May of this year, I lost 40 pounds. I feel as though I have dropped a 40 pound sack that I had been carrying across my midsection. My rewards have been many. Tying shoe laces, seeing my belt buckle re-emerge, breathing easier. easy bounds up the stairs to the next floor and a generally lighter outlook on life.

I sympathize with those who have weight problems, but, in the end it is something we choose to do to ourselves and therefore have to live with.

I have fasted on ice cream and now augment South Beach with the fabled "Chewing Gum Diet" to satisfy sugar cravings. Doublemint rules! I buy ten-packs at Wal-Mart for $1.50 each. Good luck with your ever-changing self image.
Nic