PDA

View Full Version : My Ball!

MKathleen
07-26-2003, 10:04 PM
:)Hi All:
All you oil pastelists have stirred an interest in working with oil pastel again. I have more experience with soft/hard pastel than oil but do have a few to show I did when I first started with oil pastel.
This oil pastel was a commission and a fun one as this little fellow was such a cutie. :evil:He was the dreaded chipmunk neutralizer of the high Sierra's. His folks wanted him shown in a kinder, gentler mood and pose. So this is what I came up with and was happily accepted by his folks.:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2003/5343-MyBallROBBINS.jpg
Oil Pastel on cold press rough illustration board 16" x 20"

As always I value your thoughts and comments

Best,
Kathy:)

Craig Houghton
07-26-2003, 11:07 PM
The expression is great, and the well done bearded chin really livens things up in a whimsical manner, but I am especially drawn to the texture and colors of the wood behind the dog. It's fantastic! Well done!

-Craig

Artaholic
07-26-2003, 11:20 PM
You have done a great job in making him look much friendlier? and non chipmonk getter:clap: :clap:

Gerry

Dyin
07-26-2003, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE]He was the dreaded chipmunk neutralizer of the high Sierra's. QUOTE]

Funny description! I agree with Craig on the moustache...very much gives him personality, but I see chipmunk demise in those eyes, he looks full of it lol! I really super love the colors you used in the wood wall, love the knots and also like the swirl in the ball...you'll just have to get those oil pastels out to work a little more often, Kathy!
Sue

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 12:32 AM
but I am especially drawn to the texture and colors of the wood behind the dog. It's fantastic!
:)Hi Craig:
Thank you for your compliments, and I appreciate you looking at my painting. The background was done by drawing with the pastels and brushing turps over them until I got the effect I was looking for.
Best,

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 12:36 AM
:)Hi Gerry:
Thank you, this little fellow was only hard on chipmunks kind to kids and adults.
Best,

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 12:43 AM
you'll just have to get those oil pastels out to work a little more often, Kathy!
:)Hi Sue:
Plan too--I'm getting kinda bored with the soft pastel I'm working on now I've made so many changes it's getting comical. Might be fun to take a little detour and join one of the projects in this forum.
Thank you for your nice compliment and I really appreciate you looking at my painting. The background was started first then worked by way down to the dog and foreground. Loved the idea of the red rug and green ball and it wasn't even Christmas time. lol
Best,

Mo.
07-27-2003, 05:10 AM
Oh Kathleen he's absolutely adorable... what a character and how lovely you have painted him.... Your oil pastel work is stunning........ I've set up a new project for oil pastels ...check it out and have a go.

Cheers,
Mo.

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 12:30 PM
:)Hi Mo:
Thank you, for your nice compliment I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. It's very important to read and hear the comments/suggestions of my fellow artists-cause you all know what it takes to create a painting. Win some, lose some, but never give up....:D
:DSooooo now I'm on my way to sign up for the latest project sounds like fun. Went thru my oil pastels last night and put them into some color order. Seems to make room for other supplies I piled them all into one plastic container--even the Holbiens:rolleyes:. Found a set of Panda's still in their box.
Best,

Dyin
07-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Yay, Kathy!!!! Should be lots of fun...can't wait to see which you pick! (and I love Christmas any time of the year...love how it tickled you to do the red and green!)

Sue

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Should be lots of fun...can't wait to see which you pick!
Hi Sue:
I have a question for you and anyone else who might know the answer. What is the shelf life or usage life of oil pastels? Why I ask is some of mine are 20+ years old!
Yes, it should be fun after looking at the various images. I had two thoughts (1) There all terrific (2) Which one would has the less difficulty. Need to be kind to myself cause I'm rusty with the oil pastels.:eek:
Have you picked which one your going to do? That big yellow rose looks pretty tempting--then the water lily is nice too....humm decisions, decisions...
Best,
Kathy:D

Mo.
07-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Kathy... I still have oil pastels from 1974, the Caran D'ache when I restarted using them earlier this year hasd a sort of milky film on them, but this was only the wax binder...they are stilll as good as new...they were just a little harder at first but soon warmed up in my hands when using them, the other old OP's were Pentels......, but even they were still usable.... I've since restocked,... hope to get some Holbeins one day.....BTW... I was rusty with the OP's .....(getting better all the time).....when I started back with them this year, hadn't used them since 1975...... forgotten all I learnt back then...but I'm finding them so exciting and the techniques seem to be endless....such fun...:)

As to the project... the reflections could be quite easy to do, as it's sort of abstract in a way. :)

Mo.

MKathleen
07-27-2003, 11:34 PM
:)Hi Mo:
Hey thank YOU for the encouragment I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Great to hear that my op's are probably just fine to use--mine too have a whitish film. Geez that means I don't get to order a new set right away!:( I found some charcoal paper that I think I'm going to use for my support (out of illustration board). Probably going to tackle the yellow rose only a close up. Will see what happens as they say 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.
Thanks again Mo:)
Best,

angeline
07-28-2003, 06:10 AM
Oh what a cutie! you did a fab job on him!

bnoonan
07-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Kathy this is just great! Love the composition, the title and how you've captured the little guy so well. You've got the detail of the hairs on his face and side of his body so great and balanced it with the fun swirl of the rug and ball.

superb - have the buyers seen it yet?

B

MKathleen
07-28-2003, 12:24 PM
:)Hi angeline:
Thank you for your nice compliment it was such a pleasure to paint this one. As you know there are those paintings that just come together effortlessly and this was one of them.
Best,

MKathleen
07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi b:
Thank you also for your nice compliment very much appreciated. I especially love to paint animals and the fur is always interesting to duplicate.
I had created this painting several years ago and it hangs in the living room of the owners. Hope it's still giving them pleasure and that wonderful little fellow is enjoying a comfortable old age.
Best,

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 08:40 AM
not familiar with your work before MK..... so this is really nice to see....... love the colours used in the background wood, set off so grandly with the red

.... will look forward to seeing more from you now :)