PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on a Recent Purchase

MIG17
08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I was in my favorite antique shop this afternoon and found this- for under 10 bucks! My only concern is that it is signed in ink instead of the more traditional pencil. What do you think, issue or not?

"Proud Company" Keith Ferris
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2012/52808-IMG_0807.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2012/52808-IMG_0809.JPG

Steve

vegaskip
08-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Might have been a chance meeting, "Could you sign this for me please?". Most people carry a pen, not a pencil.
Fake or not?, sorry, not my part of ship, I would have no idea.
Jim

MIG17
08-14-2012, 05:58 AM
I think you are correct. I did a little research on the print and mine is different than the ones I found. The others I saw were signed and numbered but didn't have all of the aircraft listed like this one.

I'm guessing this is a commissioned piece from Pratt and Whitney and this print, (unsigned and open ended), was probably available at some function of P&W with Mr. Ferris in attendance.

The signature is authentic, I own another Keith Ferris print that has the same "with best wishes" written on it.

Steve

NeilF92
08-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Sorry I can't help with the authenticity or the pencil v ink query - but you got a marvellous assembly of aircraft painted by one of the modern day Masters -Keith Ferris .

Russell Smith
08-14-2012, 06:56 AM
That's definitely Keith's signature.

MIG17
08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
I dug around a little more, and I think this would be classified as a poster instead of a print. Of course the signature makes it special, and other posters of Keith's work are signed in pen as well. Like Jim said, most people carry a pen. Thanks for the input!

This made my week finding this!

Steve

halthepainter
08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, it's a poster.

A limited edition print will identify it's title, which number it is in a total run, then signed, dated outside the confines of the print (in the margin at the bottom of the print), traditionally in pencil. This is the case for hand pulled prints. A machine run of a 2000 Thomas Kincade prints will likely have a reproduced signature.

Proud Company, 22 of 150, John Smith, 8/18/2012

Your autograph might of some value. It is a wonderful poster, just enjoy it.

It was basically an advertisement, a promotional piece.