PDA

View Full Version : Ashness Bridge WIP

arnieb
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Been working on this one for a while now and got to the point where Iím just tinkering with it before calling it done.
I liked the way the light was illuminating the trees in midground.
Oil on canvas 20x16
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2012/192075-mini-Ashness_Bridge_-_09.JPG

Andrewcody
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Arnie, I am looking at the river and the slope down to the Derwent Water and I think the water should look more like it is rushing in volumes. You know those big thick heavy volumes of cold clear water.
I would possibly also suggest darkening under the bridge and some of the rocks on the unlit side to give a little more depth.
It is a beautiful scene
Regards
Andrew

Octopus Inc.
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I like this image quite a bit. It has a nice atmospheric quality to it that I think gives it a lot of depth, or at least has the potential to do so. As we look into the distance the air and moisture in the atmosphere create the impression of a haze of sorts which increases the further something is from us, which I see a lot of in your painting here. However, as less and less atmosphere is present between the viewers eyes and the objects he sees the closer they are to him, the more crisp and darker those objects should appear. So were it me, I may darken and sharpen up a bit the foreground, perhaps as far back as the bridge as Andrew suggested. Good work, and good luck.

Debzy
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Arnie, once again, mood and atmosphere makes your style your own! I love this scene, in fact it brings back memories, not because I've been there unfortunately, but because as a teenager I did an oil painting of this bridge. I will try to dig up a photo of it, my parents have it still on their wall. I was very proud of it back then, but maybe not so much these days. I think you have done a wonderful job here, I do agree that the foreground could be just a touch more darker in tone and a tad more detail. A little darker under the bridge as Andrew suggests would also give it more dimension. I love the water, it does appear to be rushing to me, but that is my opinion! I like the figures, but If it were mine, I would change the bright heads, I would tone them down slightly and maybe make one of them brown or darker haired. Opinion only =)) Love it Arnie, you have done it again! hat off to you!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
08-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Andrew, OctupusInc and Debs. I will update the fg as suggested and repost but unfortunately that will not be for a few days.
Debs: whilst I was in the Lakes on my day off I was getting the Wife a post card and found one for Ashness Bridge - as it was within walkable distance I went off to take some photos of it. Ended up walking all the way round the Lake - getting lots of great photos for painting.
My Derwent water painting is from the view point at Ashness Bridge, and the Floodplain one in the valley immediately below the vp.
Saw Ashness Br from the 1920's on TV recently - appart from all the silver birch it hasent changed - so your painting will still be recognisable as Ashness Br.
Arnie

Debzy
08-15-2012, 05:06 AM
It is a beautiful area Arnie, I should try to get some of my relatives to send me some photos to have a go at. I was born in Manchester and most of my relatives are still there. I wanted to private message you with the photo of my painting of the same bridge, but there is nowhere for me to attach my picture. =(( Love your painting Arnie!!! CHeers =)) Debs.

song_bird
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
This is a wonderfully atmospheric painting. Really like the composition.

My crit would be that the trunks of the small grove of young trees behind the two people should not be so regular. They are all on the same angle and spaced approximately the same distance from one another.

I like Andre's suggestion for the water and rocks. I would also bring more green to the left foreground.

The walkers could use a little more suggestion of detail, imo. Some hair and faces, arm definition on the female in blue.

Very beautiful painting and location!

arnieb
08-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks songbird. I'm going to update the rocks and then see where its going.
Debs: I used to live in Liverpool till the late 70s, indeed ive just returned from a visit to my Mum who still lives in same house i grew up in. I've thought about sticking some of my old school paintings and sketches on WC - but then thought better not! :lol: Recently found a etching on lino of David Cassidy I did in 72 - Perhaps I could run off a print and post it for critique in different colours like that one of Monroe.:o Arnie

Debzy
08-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice to have a reminder of your past Arnie, especially if it is still there! Hoping you had a lovely visit with your mum. I may post some of my old school age works sometime, perhaps it could be something everybody could do if they have any! Just a thread for anyone to post old works on? Anyway, I'm thinking about posting some for a laugh, not all of them are really bad. =)) I will try and post my Ashness bridge one, may have to do it in a separate thread because I can't send it through private message to you, don't know how to do that. =(( Looking forward to the next instalment of this one Arnie! Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
08-24-2012, 10:16 AM
That a good idea about having a thread for old works - look forward to seeing the ashness br one.
Some rework on this one to darken rocks and crisp up fg. Also darkend the tree trunks - there in shade, and toutched up the figures (knocked at least 20years off the man:lol: ). Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2012/192075-mini-Ashness_Bridge_-_10.JPG

crafor
08-24-2012, 01:39 PM
You've made a lot of changes, many of them subtle. This is more interesting, more pleasing to look at, holds my eye longer. The changes in the foreground have a lot to do with that.
It's not fair---give her a glint of gold in her hair, at least. :angel:
Ella

arnieb
08-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Ella - you have to walk past her to see the gold in her hair.:)
Few tweeks and better photo - going to call this one done now and stick it in the open forum. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2012/192075-mini-Ashness_Bridge_-_11.JPG

Debzy
08-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Arnie! I don't want to poach your thread, but now you have put it into the open forum I will post my old painting of Ashness bridge to show you how little the area has changed. I painted this when I was 17 - 18 yrs old, that was 33 yrs ago ..... Arggghhh giving away my age now! The reference photo was from a little book (I can't find it now) on the lakes district. I guess it could have been an even older photo than my painting age. anyway, this is it. leaves a bit to be desired, but good to have a history to see if i have improved since then! It was done in oils, and mum and dad still have it on their wall. Cheers =)) Debs.

Debzy
08-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi Arnie! I don't want to poach your thread, but now you have put it into the open forum I will post my old painting of Ashness bridge to show you how little the area has changed. I hope this is allowed and I hope you don't mind. I painted this when I was 17 - 18 yrs old, that was 33 yrs ago ..... Arggghhh giving away my age now! The reference photo was from a tiny little book (I can't find it now) on the lakes district. I guess it would have been an even older photo than my painting age. anyway, this is it. leaves a bit to be desired, but good to have a history to see if i have improved since then! It was done in oils, and mum and dad still have it on their wall. Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Sorry I missed this - think there was a tech problem with the post.

Its really good :thumbsup: - your very tallented. Your current work is definately improved - and will continue to do so as you put more effor/practice in.
Appart from all the Silver birches and rocks being moved round a bit, it still looks the same. This is a different angle - its normally shown from position I chose. I wanted to include more of the birch on the right but that moved the bridge over too much and composition looked odd. I didnt want to stand on the rocks in the Beck and slip and get wet:lol: so I missed out on this angle. Glad you shared it. Arnie