PDA

View Full Version : pastel pencil... first attempt... flowers

Debzy
08-11-2012, 05:47 AM
I have been sick in bed for a week, and as I am feeling marginally better I have decided to have a go at a pastel drawing... from bed. =)) I haven't really ever used pastel pencils before, but thought I would give it a go, may add some soft chalk pastels later. I think I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this :eek: , but anyway, here goes. This is just the beginning, I have drawn a rough sketch and begun adding the darker regions. I wish now that I just did a single flower,:rolleyes: but it's started now. Any c and c welcome... don't mind if it's harsh!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
08-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Hope you feel better! I think it's nice and I'm sure it will turn out wonderful. All of yours always do:)

Wahsuzy
08-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Hope you feel better! I think it's nice and I'm sure it will turn out wonderful. All of yours always do::D

Debzy
08-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Awwww..... Thank you Suzy. I must be feeling marginally better because it's the first time I've felt like doing any art work in almost 2 weeks. I am about to post the next stage. Cheers and thanks again. Debs. =)) This is the final blocking in stage, got most of the darks in, now for the fun part....:D Adding some colour!!!! eek...:eek: always a bit scary too. :crossfingers:

Wahsuzy
08-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Is that how to do it? Get all the darks in and work your way lighter? this is all kinda confusing. I need some lessons.....

Debzy
08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Hah.... That is how I do it! I just posted the same on your portrait post. lol. I find with acrylics and pastels, it is easier to work from dark to light. But, with watercolour normally I work from light to dark!!! Although I have read and seen some watercolour artists now working from dark to light and have good results. For your portrait, I would work darks to light. Thanks Suzy. Debs. =))

Wahsuzy
08-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Thank you!!!

Debzy
08-11-2012, 09:02 AM
:eek: :confused: I think this has gotten away from me at the moment....:( I have changed to soft pastels now but I am not happy with it yet. This is stage 3 anyway, I have added some more darks and begun adding some early colour. :crossfingers: Cheers Debs. =))

maryinasia
08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
coming along beautifully -- some lovely gesture

hope you feel better!

crafor
08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I hope you're feeling better, too. Sounds serious, to be bed-ridden for so long. I hope you continue to get better. Take care.
I don't know anything of colored pencils or pastels. Your flowers are coming along nicely. This indicates a wide range of color. It will be interesting to see the next steps.
They remind me of tiger-lilys in color and shape, from what I remember.
Take care.
Ella

Debzy
08-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Mary and Ella. Thanks for your kind words, I am certainly hoping to get better soon. Yes Ella, :thumbsup: they are Tiger-Lilys, :clap: so glad you could recognise them! That is a step in the right direction, always nice if someone recognises something, especially as I am not feeling too confident on this one yet!!! :confused: Thanks for that, I feel a bit better about it now. :crossfingers: Thanks gals for cheering me up!:D I will continue with this later today and post next instalment as it comes! Debs. =)) cheers! :wave:

Debzy
08-12-2012, 05:37 AM
This is stage 4 of my Tiger- Lilys. I have added more colour and added some highlights also. Still wish to add some detail and a few more shadows need to be re-inforced.

Debzy
08-12-2012, 07:36 AM
This is the final of my Tiger -Lily pastel. :clap: I had trouble getting the detail because the pastels made it tricky..... Guess I have to practice more. It was a good study in colour and values anyway, I enjoyed doing it. :D I wish pastels weren't so messy, I have been doing it in bed as I have been sick, and OMG what a mess I made of my dooner!!! I didn't realise until I finished. :eek: Cheers. =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Looks wonderful!!! Great job. :)

crafor
08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I wondered about that. I have several boxes of chalk pastels. I can't use them because of the dust and severe respiratory problems. I did have a new pack of pastel pencils, but they somehow disappeared.
Your lilys are very pretty. Do you have them in your yard?
Ella

Debzy
08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks Suzy and Ella! I don't have these in my yard unfortunately, but one of my lady guitar students brought a massive bunch in for me a while back. She said I should paint them. I took loads of photos of different views and angles, they were beautiful! Such vibrant colour. I have done this one, and may do a watercolour of another viewpoint later on. Chalk pastels.... yes, they are messy and the dust is terrible. That is why I rarely use them. Oil pastels are much easier =)) and you can get beautiful colour with them. Thanks again girls. Cheers. Debs. =))

Debzy
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I have posted this in the Open forum now, see what they think!!! =))

crafor
08-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Is that what yu wereusing--oil pastels? I have oil pastels, too, and hesitate to use them because they never dry. Maybe I'll give them a try. Hope you're up and around again.
Ella

Debzy
08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Ella. Thanks, I have thyroiditis, very painful infection of thyroid gland due to a virus apparently. I thought it was improving last night, but this morning has flared up again. it took the doc two weeks to work it out so I was just constantly unwell until the blood tests confirmed it. I will be ok soon thanks, just rest and mega doses of Aspirin =((.. This Tiger Lily study was done with Chalk Pastels, but I have used oil pastels in the past with great results.. Thanks again Ella and have a lovely day. Cheers =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
08-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Deb I do hope you are feeling better.
What can I say...very masterful, I enjoy watching how you develop your work
Very nice pastel work. Lovely composition
Andrew

Debzy
08-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks so much Andrew for your kind wishes and artistic encouragement, always lovely to hear from you. I am working on getting better, being positive despite the slow recovery. at least I can do a little artwork from bed and peruse the forum to learn techniques and keep in touch with everyones posts and not lie here feeling sorry for myself! So good to have this forum for so many reasons. Have made some wonderful friends on here in the course of less than a year! Cheers Andrew, and thanks agin. Watch out for those Emus!!!! =)) Debs.

Octopus Inc.
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey there Debz, I hope that you are well. This is coming along lovely. You are very talented and it's so nice to see the way your work is developed. I'm glad you chose to do three over one flower here.

Debzy
08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you Octo, I appreciate your comment and compliment! I am hoping to be better soon but it seems a very slow recovery process! Frustrating! But, anyway, gives me extra time for painting here and there when I don't feel too bad. I am now kinda glad too that I did more than one flower, I think it made for a more interesting colour study than one would have! Thanks again Octo, and keep posting yours too, I am intrigued by your imagination and skills. Cheers =)) Debs.