PDA

View Full Version : Beaver floatplane

Chas McHugh
08-11-2012, 04:11 AM
This one never saw these pages even though it will be familiar to some here. The best element of this for me is that now given the benefit of hindsight, I would not change anything. That is not to say I couldnt do it again better for every piece of artwork is part of a development process. It has a very nice frame on it and hangs in my office as an ambassador to my work. There have been a few people keen to take it off me, but this one is staying.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2012/984204-beaver.jpg

Oil on stretched canvas. 30" x 20".

Yorky
08-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Your picture looks a little dark Chas. Is this better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2012/1046-AAFloatplane.jpg

Terrific work.

Doug

shadwell
08-11-2012, 05:57 AM
it is a dark painting yorky , and a gorgeous one at that !! chas has a paunchant for painting oercast weather and is very accomplished at it !!

go to his gallery link and you'll see what i mean

the lighter version just looks wrong !!

Yorky
08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
OK my apologies. :o The sun glinting off the propeller and the blue sky fooled me.

Doug

Chas McHugh
08-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Gents, thanks for the comments both of which are fair. The original on this page is too large but the ammended one is (on my ipad) too light, so the truth hides somewhere in between. A few factors are at work and one is reproduction on my own website v reproduction on the WC one, the same jpeg appears different.

As for being a fan of an overcast day; I will share a discussion I have had with a close friend and fellow artist thisvevening and welcome thread drift about this. I am pretty radical in that I believe that no aviation artist is a patch on the traditional artistic Master. I would be the first to agree that exagerated lifestock and stiff cloudscapes leave much to be desired, but there is something about aged classic works that even Mr Taylor does not have in his works. I hope in the fullness of time to go beyond photo realism and bring the illustration of machinery into the classical art of landscape in a combined image that I hope may one day reach a standard beyond accepted contempory works of the millenium. Anyone got an opinion or am I visiting too many good art galleries!.

PS I think that the 'staff answer' to ammending this might be to lighten and reduce colour saturation and I will have a play in PS tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

vegaskip
08-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi Chas, after reading the above post, I see how far apart we are in what we do. Good luck to you in your quest to take your work to the level of the old masters, personaly if I could paint like you I would be more than happy. I think we approach painting in diferent ways, I always say I'm not an artist I just paint pictures in my own way, I do not know a lot about 'art', so I rarely crit other peoples work, also I paint for me, so I am not constrained in any way, as in commisioned work. ( I have had commisions , but not many , and that suits me.)
I love painting, and am well used to critisism. ( I started painting on the Messdecks of RN aircraft carriers, so the comments came thick and fast, but I can say with a tinge of pride that there are a few who became senior officers who had/have pictures of a/c they flew on their walls, even in the MOD Navy) I 'sold' them for weekend passes, or the odd bottle of plonk.
I look forward to following the thread, and reading other people's ideas, above all I think we all enjoy pictures of aeroplanes, and long may we continue to do so.
Regards Jim

halthepainter
08-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Chas your float plane is magnificient.

NeilF92
08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I started to respond to Charles's debating point but found I could not easily articulate my whole view of current day aviation art.
My own aim is to try and bring to life the day to day activity of flying in general and military flying in particular. I want the viewer to share my enthusiasm and enjoyment of the moment ,capture the speed, the power , the shapes and character of the machines as well as the beauty of their environment be it at 60,000 ft or 50 ft off the deck.
I believe , if born in our times some of the old masters would have been equally seduced by the attraction flying machines and set out to do the same as me .
It would be marvellous to have a time machine and see how they would have responded .
Looking at the contemporary world I do believe that there are current artists who would hold their own with the Greats of all time .I certainly don't rank among them but I see works that are beyond photographic perfection , painterly and expressive in the way that only a painting can convey.
So I guess I'm saying that the spirit of the Old Masters lives on and grows with the current best of the best.
Mere mortals like me are happy to get somewhere near to what we set out to convey , some of the time!

vegaskip
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Well put Neil, and I think you are achieving, your aims, and seem to enjoy what you do, long may you continue.
Jim

Charles St-Germain
03-03-2015, 10:05 PM
I love your painting. It reminds me of fly in fishing trips I was fortunate to experience in my younger days. If ever you decide to sell prints, let me know.

Thanks

Chas McHugh
03-04-2015, 03:47 AM
All of my work will be available as a Giclee Limited Edition Print in the near future. It is an expensive process, but the reproduction accuracy is fantastic. If you provide contact details to [email protected] I will keep you advised when a print becomes available.

Gray539
03-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Dark, grey and wet is a typical west coast of Canada morning for a good portion of the year. This is the natural habitat of these Beavers.

wesley a lowe
03-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Love your painting of the Beaver. There are two marine docks in Sechelt from which this aircraft lands and takes off from several times daily to the city of Vancouver or Vancouver Island. I live about twenty minutes from these wonderful planes. They have a very distinctive sound and I can always tell when one is overhead.