PDA

View Full Version : Slipping into the room and waving "HELLO!"

PinkRaven
07-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Whew... I finally made it! I've been chomping at the bit for the last two days waiting to be approved. I'm really bewildered that I hadn't found this community long before now. It's the perfect place for someone like myself who flits from one art interest to the next. There's something here for all of the "me"s!!! A new member to my block printing mail list suggested I come visit this community... I'm forever in her debt. LOL!

I dabble in all kinds of arts but block printing generally keeps surfacing as my main focus. (Did i say focus?! If anyone else here has AADD they'll know how funny that is);)
I used to do linoleum and wood blocks when I was younger, but I ended up with some pretty severe nerve damage in my hands and ended up partially disabled. So much for lino blocks.... Then I found redemption! Back in my early DADA mail-art days I discovered carving on white synthetic erasers and a few years later found soft block media and it was love at first cut. I experimented with many and then settled into a relationship with PZ-Cut soft block. It's firm enough to remind me a little of lino but soft enough not to cause me so much pain. Does anyone else here prefer soft block to lino? The one and only drawback is that you can't caustic etch it. A small price to pay to be able to keep using my hands a few more years!

I haven't scanned many of my recent prints but will dig up something to post here... Oh! I know... I'll take you to my 2003 Thanksgiving greeting....

http://tornedges.bravepages.com/Thanksgiving02.html

Raven

msue
07-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Welcome!! Your Thanksgiving card was beautiful. I too jump back and forth between things. My main focus lately has been mixed media collage, but I picked up the carving tools again a couple months ago. I've never done anything as detailed as your work, but I'm getting closer.:clap:

DuhVinci
07-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Hey Raven, Glad you're here. This is one of the slower forums on wet canvas and it'll be nice to have someone new to share their experiences. I've never done a print myself but I've started visiting this forum to try and work up some insentive to get started. Oh, and P.S. I really liked your print. I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to do something that detailed.

christmascarolnz
07-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Raven. WELCOME TO WETCANVAS!!! Great to see you.
Your print is really cool - if I can use that word.

A new member to my block printing mail list suggested I come visit this community... I'm forever in her debt. LOL!

...we take visa, mastercard,online banking.....or I do like the VW beetle cabriole:angel:

I hope you come on over to the pastel forum as well for a 'look around'. This place is very much like a big campus with lots of different studios you can visit.

I look forward to you posting more work. -don't forget to let me know when you do. You are allowed to post your pics of older work so don't be shy - just bring it on!

Cheers,
Carol

timelady
07-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Welcome! Soft plates... sounds cool! I used to put my lino on the radiator to soften it, does that count? ;) I'll try to brainstorm soft things... and I have ADD too so I understand! I actually pretty much gave up printmaking because I simply prefer the immediacy of painting. Although i do enjoy monoprints - have you tried that? Might be a nice change from block prints, or you could paint your blocks differently each time for monoprints. :) Fun.

This forum is relatively quiet but keep posting. Do share your work in other forums that might be appropriate too - don't know what your subject matter is but some of the subject forums are much busier day to day.

Tina.

sassybird
08-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Hi Raven, welcome aboard:D I look forward to seeing your work. I have always used lino. In the winter I put it over a heat vent to soften it up, and in the summer I put it either out in the hot sun, or use the microwave......lol I haven't tried the soft block, but like you I have some nerve damage in my left hand. It sounds just right for me. I mainly work in intaglio, and I am getting ready to start a new series for a show in Oct. I love aqua tint, and I have learned to use it quite effectively without so much burnishing of areas. I get the picture in my head and work on it from there.

ginatec
08-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi Raven

Love the card:)

Gina

Jonna33
10-23-2003, 06:42 PM
How many old printmakers have nerve damage in their hands? I used to use plywood for wood blocks in my salad days to save money. In the long run you end up spending what you saved on carpal tunnel surgery (had mine almost 2 yrs. ago). I think wood carving tools demand the most as well as filing zinc places. But we learn and thank heavens there are new tools on the market like the soft carving stuff which I have tried and love.

You guys will have me back at my press pretty soon. Printmaking is certainly my first love. Here is a little woodblock print from days of yore. It is not as sophisticated as your, PinkRaven, but hey, we're here to share, right?

This is a reductive woodcut with about 8 passes through the press. Printed on BFK Rives.

Alan Cross
10-28-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi Raven and welcome to WC!
Alan :)

pinkbubelz
10-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Another Pink!

:-)

I love your print-- it's beautiful!

When I was a kid, quite by accident i discovered a fun way to print things as well....

1) make a plaster block from pouring plaster of paris into a shoebox lid. Make sure to line the lid with some plastic wrap so that the plaster can be easily taken out.

2) while the plaster has set, (a few minutes after it's poured-- when it's solid but before it becomes rock hard, take it out of your shoebox mold.

3) Use some small carving tools toothpicks, knives, etc. to carve into it.

4) when the plaster has become rock hard, use your brayer to ink it and then make prints out of your designs...

fun and cheap... :-) and in the end the plaster block becomes it's own piece of art as well!

I did a couple as a kid.. but didn't really think about it much until recently when I say a "sample" mural machette made in the fresco style... It reminded me of how the ink stuck into the block (when I did this) and how it absorbant the plaster was while it was still damp.... :-)