PDA

View Full Version : August 11 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to AUGUST 11

sherrysherman
08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi all--

As usual, please try to keep your questions and comments relevant to the August 11 paintalong.

Johannes has said that he will be working in OILS, and that the ratio of the painting is 4:5; this includes 8x10, 12x15, and 16x20. He has posted the ref photo and his drawing at the student access page. He will be working with a toned canvas using 50% burnt sienna, 50% cadmium orange, about the same value as Caucasian flesh. He will be demonstrating some knife painting for impressionistic techniques and will let the underpainting show through for more interest.

He has not yet sent an email with the student access page, but may yet do so. If you signed up for the sessions, and registered at gotomeeting, you will be on his email list. For other instructions on finding the access page, please see the Paintalong Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion threaad (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206022).

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the Aug 11 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the Aug 11 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206022) or the general Paint Along Discussion thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192)
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

Johannes Instructor
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I will work oils on top of acrylics but yes will leave glowing areas of orange showing thru. Look at Jennifer McCristian's work.

Johannes Instructor
08-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I accept ideas for the 4th painting. What theme would you like. Type now or forever hold your piece (spelled this way on purpose).

Sgourlayart
08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I accept ideas for the 4th painting. What theme would you like. Type now or forever hold your piece (spelled this way on purpose).Street scene with a few people and cars as well as buildings. Stu

painteriam
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I like the suggestion of a street scene with figures.

Rosemarie
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Rolling hills, farms in the distance, wood scenes like the one you did with nougat and me while testing live streaming, farm scenes, coastal scenes

To me street scenes are boring.

desthers
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Street scene in wet weather or at night is fine with me.

Monica1
08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Street scene are great,...cars, tiny people, a building would be great....I love the ones with cafe awnings and umbrellas.

Street scenes and buildings painted in architectural style can look very boring, but serve a good purpose in real state brochures. On the other hand, those scenes painted in a loose artistic style can look quite impressionistic and surprisingly interesting.

I have been looking at street scenes by some famous watercolorists, like Castagnet, Zbukvic, I always get impressed by their work, they make it so interesting to look at....

Jjr76
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
To me street scenes are boring.[/QUOTE]
Me too...like the idea of woods...coastal scenes

Sonni
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Southwestern scenes.

Tonalist
08-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Maybe a "Mission" somewhat like Cyrus Afsary that you pointed out to us.

woody

cmedford
08-10-2012, 11:28 PM
coastal scenes. Perhaps some people at the beach for interest.
It doesn't matter .... what matters is that Johannes is pulling new tricks out of his hat - identifying things that he needs to teach us. We can paint anything we want on our own. But, for me, if there are some nuggets in a certain painting he wants to do, then I am happy to follow along.

BetGee
08-11-2012, 12:25 AM
I have a question on preparing my canvas. Am I supposed to cover the canvas with the 50/50 b.sienna-cad orange? and if so, what colour should I use when I don't have cad. orange? - could a colour swatch be posted here?
Hopefully, someone could help me before the class begins.
Betty

Sgourlayart
08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
I have a question on preparing my canvas. Am I supposed to cover the canvas with the 50/50 b.sienna-cad orange? and if so, what colour should I use when I don't have cad. orange? - could a colour swatch be posted here?
Hopefully, someone could help me before the class begins.
Betty
Mix a yellow (cad yellow) and a red to get your orange (cad orange is really a yellow orange hue). Mix the orange with the burnt sienna. It's the value (tone), not the hue, that is close to Caucasian skin tone; so any dull or burnt orange will be OK. Wipe back with a paper towel if too dark a value. Slightly lighter than the orange sky in Johannes photo reference and about the same hue will work. Stu

spudsmom
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I vote for a street scene with buildings on both sides and people! I just looked at Jennifer McChristain's work and loved her buildings. I think it would be fun for a change.

So looking forward to today's class!

Sherri

a_orion
08-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I would love a busy street scene also.....oils......lol

bpparis
08-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Am I supposed to have received a password. I paid but am having trouble getting on. Peggy

Rosemarie
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Am I supposed to have received a password. I paid but am having trouble getting on. Peggy

Read the informationt in the Live Paint Along Aug 11 to Sep 1-Discussion Thread. You would have gotten the page when you registered in NortLight. It said in bold red what to do.

bpparis
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I can't get on!!! My computer is asking for a secret password. HELP!!

Rosemarie
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I can't get on!!! My computer is asking for a secret password. HELP!!
You got n email today from Johannes. The links and password are there.

mickisew
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Excellent class today, Johannes. I hope you will post a photo of the various stages of the "finished" painting. Please thank your students for sharing their pieces. We learn from your observations as well as your instruction.

Micki

AmberLynn
08-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I vote coastal scene-cottage by the beach or sailboats or lighthouse-something like that.

Johannes Instructor
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/135220-Finished-Painting-Class-1.jpg

spudsmom
08-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Did anyone get a picture of Jo's painting before he added the green?

Thanks,
Sherri

paintncook
08-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Johannes, Thanks for including your students' work in your paintalongs. I learn as much from your corrections and suggestions on student work as I do watching you paint. I hope people will post their paintings and you will have time to critique them. I get a real 'high' from these sessions as I feel like I'm in the studio with your students. I love seeing the postings of our work in the days following and your comments on them are helpful to us all.
Thanks for another fun day. Kathy

Rosemarie
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Wow, the painting is lovely, Johannes. I missed the paint along yesterday due to too low download speed so I hope we can download the video very soon. I can't wait!!

Johannes Instructor
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Did anyone get a picture of Jo's painting before he added the green?

Thanks,
Sherri
You will be able to see the different versions in the video.

spudsmom
08-12-2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/895452-DSC00209.jpg

Here is my version of October Falls from yesterday's paint along.

I couldn't keep up during the sky portion because I didn't have the right block in paints and had to search my daughter's bedroom for hers.

I have been told by my hubby and daughter not to touch a thing on it but would love comments from fellow artists.

Hubby wants it for his office...I might put it on my four season porch..

Thank you Jo for all of your help... I learn something new every day with you!:clap:

Sherri

Pinklady219
08-13-2012, 02:38 AM
I am voting for the street scene also with people. Let's get out of the woods for this one!

Blue Ridge Painter
08-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I accept ideas for the 4th painting. What theme would you like. Type now or forever hold your piece (spelled this way on purpose).
I am for the street scene also, wet streets, reflections, and some people. I love the mountains but I have to come in for supplies occasionally.

Sil in LI
08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
coastal scenes. Perhaps some people at the beach for interest.
It doesn't matter .... what matters is that Johannes is pulling new tricks out of his hat - identifying things that he needs to teach us. We can paint anything we want on our own. But, for me, if there are some nuggets in a certain painting he wants to do, then I am happy to follow along.

I agree 100%. I'm here to learn, and Johannes is a great teacher.

Pinklady219
08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
This is my paint along. I did notice I have a clone on the left side. I had fun doing this one. I learned a lot about rocks and 3d interesting.
Acrylics on a 12x15 stretched canvas.

jeanetteg
08-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I just downloaded Saturday's paintalong. They look great. Thanks Joe

Johannes Instructor
08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I just downloaded Saturday's paintalong. They look great. Thanks Joe
I am burning them high quality.

Jacdesusbielle
08-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Street scenes, seascapes, harbors with boats and reflections ..... i learned so much with all the other paint alongs that I know your teaching will be great with any new scene that we did not do already.

Pinklady219
08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I tweaked this some. In a critique, someone seen an old man in the falls. I think I scooted him out of there. Also, I fixed a clone. All critiques welcome!!
thank you

totsy
08-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Street scene with buildings on both sides with stick people in impressionist style...awesome.

painteriam
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Finally got it done. Oil 16"x20" It was a challenge.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2012/139791-IMG_7635.jpg

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/895452-DSC00209.jpg

Here is my version of October Falls from yesterday's paint along.

I couldn't keep up during the sky portion because I didn't have the right block in paints and had to search my daughter's bedroom for hers.

I have been told by my hubby and daughter not to touch a thing on it but would love comments from fellow artists.

Hubby wants it for his office...I might put it on my four season porch..

Thank you Jo for all of your help... I learn something new every day with you!:clap:

Sherri

Hi Sherri, thanks so much for showing your painting. It helps me to see others work. I wish more people would post. I spent the evening working on mine. Your rocks looks fantastic. I sure do not know how to paint rocks this is my first time and I feel like an idiot. I think you have done a good job ..........dor:))

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Finally got it done. Oil 16"x20" It was a challenge.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2012/139791-IMG_7635.jpg

Oh WoZa Painteriam..............Beautiful painting! Congratulations on a job well done.........Dor:))

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:46 AM
I tweaked this some. In a critique, someone seen an old man in the falls. I think I scooted him out of there. Also, I fixed a clone. All critiques welcome!!
thank you

Hi Pink Lady........you have me laughing out loud! So glad you got rid of the old man! At first I did not know what you were talking about so I scrolled up to see and I saw the face of a dog. He is gone now. Nice work, and thank you so much for posting. Mine is still a work (mess) in progress.........dor:))

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/135220-Finished-Painting-Class-1.jpg

Such a beautiful painting but I have a hunch that you painted this one after class! Thank you so much teacher and smiles to you......dor:))

spudsmom
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Sherri, thanks so much for showing your painting. It helps me to see others work. I wish more people would post. I spent the evening working on mine. Your rocks looks fantastic. I sure do not know how to paint rocks this is my first time and I feel like an idiot. I think you have done a good job ..........dor:))

Dor,

Thank you for your kind words. I think I really learned about making rocks more 3D when I painted along with Jo on the Mountain picture - the one with the trees and logs in the water. As we were doing the mountains he pointed out how to make your mountains look more 3D. I have used some of those techniques in this painting.

When painting or drawing rocks, you must think in 3D terms - a top to the rock, a front side and one side that gives the rock depth. Take a tissue box and set it on an angle so you can see the top and at least two sides - sketch it a few times to ingrain in your brain the three sides you need to get 3D - next work on sketching rocks from your yard in the same manner. Remember practice makes perfect!

Hope this helps.

Sherri

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Dor,

Thank you for your kind words. I think I really learned about making rocks more 3D when I painted along with Jo on the Mountain picture - the one with the trees and logs in the water. As we were doing the mountains he pointed out how to make your mountains look more 3D. I have used some of those techniques in this painting.

When painting or drawing rocks, you must think in 3D terms - a top to the rock, a front side and one side that gives the rock depth. Take a tissue box and set it on an angle so you can see the top and at least two sides - sketch it a few times to ingrain in your brain the three sides you need to get 3D - next work on sketching rocks from your yard in the same manner. Remember practice makes perfect!

Hope this helps.

Sherri
This also applies to round shapes such as trees. Putting a little darkness on one side of your bushes and trees will make them look round.

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Dor,
Hope this helps.
Sherri

Thank you Sherri. I am going to practice sketching rocks today. I know that is what I have to make myself do! Thank you so much............I needed the nudge from you........dor:))

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2012, 12:44 PM
You guys are not going to believe this! FW just bought out their competition. The ones that publish the American Artist, American Artist Drawing magazine, American Artist Watercolor Magazine. They have just become two times bigger as far as their art magazines.
http://www.fwmedia.com/press-room/interweave.

Sgourlayart
08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
You guys are not going to believe this! FW just bought out their competition. The ones that publish the American Artist, American Artist Drawing magazine, American Artist Watercolor Magazine. They have just become two times bigger as far as their art magazines.
http://www.fwmedia.com/press-room/interweave.
Amazing, Johannes. I have always thought that their art publications were equal to or superior to those of F+W's. I have bought a number of their products, particularly videos from Artist Daily Workshops. I also like their Artist Daily newsletter and the editor Courtney Jordan as well as the publication American Artist. I hope that the combined company can fix some of F+W's customer relations issues and that they recognize the value of your courses to artists. Stu

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Amazing, Johannes. I have always thought that their art publications were equal to or superior to those of F+W's. I have bought a number of their products, particularly videos from Artist Daily Workshops. I also like their Artist Daily newsletter and the editor Courtney Jordan as well as the publication American Artist. I hope that the combined company can fix some of F+W's customer relations issues and that they recognize the value of your courses to artists. Stu
Well for my sake I am hoping they pay lots of attention to the online classes. You know I tremendously believe in this.

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I had to search Google to figure out how the news applied. This has to be a good thing for you Jo. I am very happy. dor:))

spudsmom
08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=dor_]Thank you Sherri. I am going to practice sketching rocks today. I know that is what I have to make myself do! Thank you so much............I needed the nudge from you........dor:))[/QUOTE

Glad to help Dor...Just post a few after you sketch...

Sherri

Sgourlayart
08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Well for my sake I am hoping they pay lots of attention to the online classes. You know I tremendously believe in this.American Artist and Artist Daily have no one giving online instruction. No one else has anything like your courses, Jo. I believe they can increase the sales of your classes as well as by participation if they feature you in some of the American Artist publications (Workshop) and blogs (Artist Daily). I guess you will find out before we do, and it could be quite an opportunity for you (and well deserved). Stu

Johannes Instructor
08-23-2012, 12:13 AM
American Artist and Artist Daily have no one giving online instruction. No one else has anything like your courses, Jo. I believe they can increase the sales of your classes as well as by participation if they feature you in some of the American Artist publications (Workshop) and blogs (Artist Daily). I guess you will find out before we do, and it could be quite an opportunity for you (and well deserved). Stu
yes stu if FW plays the cards right this online teaching will become much bigger and I ride the wave as well as long as I deliver what they expect from me and of Ken in his next course.

desthers
08-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Online is the wave of the future. Your videos are ideal instruction guides.
It is so easy to repeat a section of a video. I have purchased DVD's and watched online videos. You have put them both together! Plus you also critique work on WetCanvas. Thanks so much.

LADickerman
08-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Maybe I need to go bigger to get mine crisper looking. All of my panpastels look so soft and fuzzy...even if I use a credit card. I usually work in 10x10 or 10x14.

Here is my attempt at the August 11 Paintalong.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2012/188330-Waterfall_Bridge_Yellow.jpg

Lori Anne

nancysue10
09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure if this link is still active, but I just did the painting of the waterfalls this week. I know it is not good, or right, but cannot see what to do to make it better. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. Still new to this process, but I'm enjoying the journey.
Thanks,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2012/213155-wet_canvas.jpg