PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Rick--a repair in progress...

crafor
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Rick: 16x20" oil on canvas Asking for hard crits. I just completed two paintings that I am pleased with. Now this one, which only a few days ago I thought was finally coming along nicely, is not. First, the main reference photo (the other is of the vegetation):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2012/978289-P6090357.JPG

Next, my first version. I knew the drawing was large, but the canvas is too, and I thought it would work for what I had in mind.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2012/978289-P7250031.JPG

Someone suggested that I check the proportions. I did, to find they were way off.:( Both the nose and chin were about 1/2" too long. And that after hours of careful measuring, measuring again, and re-measuring every point that I could...I realized then that my idea would not work, so I painted out the hat and shirt and left most of the face, as it is pretty much the color I'll use for the face anyway. I added sky color and overhanging branches. Here's the result:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2012/978289-P8070055.JPG
The charcoal lines of the new version are somewhat visible.

And THIS is where I am now. The lines for the features are stronger, but the original face is still there. I've been working on the hat for hours, and it's still not right. I blocked in the hair and a bit of moustache.

I had hoped to be much further along, but I couldn't work as fast as I would have liked. The hat is not cooperating. I don't think it will stay this color, and it's OFF, somehow. I can't see how, now. Help, please.
I'd really like to have the hat close to the real color. Any suggestions? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2012/978289-P8090062.JPG

The original shirt is the color of blueberries, but that's pretty strong for me. Thought I'd lighten it, or make it a gray but I've never seen him in a gray shirt. These are clothes he wears frequently, and I'd like to stay with them or close, but this is a real learning experience. (PC for struggle, and other such words.:angel: ) Hard crits, please. Even if I cry, I'll keep at it. I want to do as well with this one as with the other two.
Thanks for looking. Hard C&C welcome.
Ella

Yorky
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Great title!

Your first one was nearest for shape. There is no shame in tracing the outlines onto your canvas to get the essential positions correct.

Doug

Andrewcody
08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Crafor, I would focus on getting the drafting for the portrait correct before including any background or colour.
Grid both your reference and the canvas, 1" squares, and draw in the image, you can use paint to do this if you want.
Regards
Andrew

crafor
08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Andrew, thanks. Is there anything specific that stands out to you?
I don't have a printed photograph, so standard gridding is out. The original drawing was pretty close, except for the nose and chin lengths. After correcting for those, I had the drawing reduced to this size, and traced it. I'm not going for photorealism, but I do want a good likeness. As I do a side by side comparison, it appeas to me that the features of the drawing are on or close to the same parallel lines (to borrow from geography) on both, with the exception of the ball of the nose, and that is easily fixable.
Right now, looking at them side-by-side, maybe the main problems for me are the hat and skin colors are throwing me off. It also appear that perhaps the brim over the forehead is a bit too high. I also see the ribbon contour is way off. :(
Maybe I'll scrape the hat back and start on it again. The color of the first version was much better. I'll work to mix that again. It was viridian + ultramarine Blue+ a bit of cadmium orange, with white laid on. I don't like the color of this at all.
And of course, the rest just isn't there yet.

I'll continue with this. This is a study, an exercise. I want to learn to paint portraits by alla prima, and this started that way. The others were layered. This may be done again with layers...
Again, Thank you.
Ella

maryinasia
08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
to tell you the truth, I like the look of the painting as it is right now. I would be tempted to leave it as is, and then do another more "finished" one if you felt like it.

Debzy
08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Ella, I agree with Andrew. I really feel that you should get the drawing and features in proportion first before adding background or paint. I feel you are going about this the hard way. Try to get a printout somehow of the reference picture and then you can grid it. Your foliage and sky looks lovely, and the hat looks ok to me, but really they should be focused on after the face. I would get the face drawing done first, then start with all darks and shadows, gradually working through mid ranges and finally the highlights. You will see the whole thing take shape that way, rather than bits here and there. Just my opinion, it is a great photo! You can do it!!! Good luck Ella. Cheers. =)) Debs.

Eclecticart
08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I few suggestions, that I have found work for many people including me.

Have his face outlined onto trace paper (directly off of an enlarged xerox copy of the photo if you can, this is not cheating by the way, it is just a techinque) Next thing is to use carbon paper or I just color the opposite side of the paper with a pencil I then lay I it over my canvas or paper, trace over my sketch and ta-da your outline is now on your surface. This is a very kindergarden thing to do but how you build on your surface is what counts.

The color of the hat seems to be an olive sort of military/fishing color. The best mixture I have found has been a burnt yellow, browns, and of course green. (yellow based green not blue based)

And lastly KEEP PUSHING FORWARD! It will be awesome! I was always told to stay away from the eraser and just go with what you've gotten so far. So just go with it and make small tweaks here and there.

maryinasia
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Oh, forgot to mention -- lots of ways to grid on the computer screen --experiment using any photo editing program you might have -- just don't use white-out :)

crafor
08-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks, all.
Maryinasia, thanks. I'm going to continue with this one. I may use the layer method on another one after this. I finally found directions to make a 1" grid on GIMP. So I will check my drawing and the photo. It will be interesting to see the results.

Debzy, thank you. I should have done this via layering. I just wanted it to be finished in less than several weeks.
Rachel, I will try your recipe for the hat color. I susre don't like what 's there now!
Ella

crafor
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Update--Friday AM. Just to let you know, I was very hesitant about posting this repair in the first place, but wanted more eyes and some guidance. Because of that, I learned how to make a 1" grid using gimp, and was able to check my drawing against the photo.
Changes made were generally small, and there were several. No matter how small, correcting them makes a big difference between a realistic portrait and a realistic portrait of a specific person.
My daughter at age 6 posed for a life portrait class of about 40 people. There were 40 variations of her, and of the 6 I managed to go home with, none really resemble her, but most were good portraits of a dark haired child in a black leotard with a tutu on.
Because of your help and guidance, my RICK has a better chance of looking like that man than he did otherwise.
Some changes made include lowering his left eye about 1/4", adjusting the forehead and cheek line, enlarging the ball of the nose,dropping the chin about 1/4", adjusting the line of his neck and the hat brim.

Thank you all very much for your words. I couldn't have done it without the graphing program, and your encouragement. I am grateful.
Ella

Debzy
08-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Ella ... good to hear that you are sounding more confident with repairing Rick! A portrait is a big challenge and especially if you want it to have a close resemblance. As you say, you can have a similarity here and there, a man with a hat on and a moustache, but if you want it as much like the person as possible, then it's worth doing the measurements and giving it the extra foundations before painting. Then there are the challenges of painting.... skin tones, shadows, etc. etc. but at least if the drawing is right, you can work over and over the colours until correct. Cheers Ella, and looking forward to the next stage. Debs. =))

TX Rose
08-11-2012, 05:37 PM
You are doing a great job with revisions and, through what you are learning from others, sharing a lot of information with those of us not proficient with portraits. I'm enjoying your thread.

I see a few little things not mentioned by others but, as I said, I am not expert in portraits so accept my comments only as observations and check the information for yourself. In comparing your piece to your reference, I think you may wish to look again at his left eye (our right). To me, that eye should be closer to his nose and the eyebrow is not as close to his eye as we see in your piece. Also, his lower lip is fuller in the reference. His eyebrows are unusual and will really add character to your portrait. Good luck with this. I'll be following....and learning with you.

crafor
08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
You are doing a great job with revisions and, through what you are learning from others, sharing a lot of information with those of us not proficient with portraits. I'm enjoying your thread.
Thanks. I hope this does help others. I'm new at all this, and have SO much to learn, and learn to apply!

I see a few little things not mentioned by others but, as I said, I am not expert in portraits so accept my comments only as observations and check the information for yourself. In comparing your piece to your reference, I think you may wish to look again at his left eye (our right). To me, that eye should be closer to his nose and the eyebrow is not as close to his eye as we see in your piece. Also, his lower lip is fuller in the reference. His eyebrows are unusual and will really add character to your portrait. Good luck with this. I'll be following....and learning with you.
I fully appreciate, need, and more importantly, perhaps, WANT your input, no matter your level of expertise, as long as your goal is to help me. One huge advantage of forums such as this is the wide experience of other people and what they see, then their willingness to give that experience and information to help others such as me. When you mention these things,I do go back and check, see what I need to do.

I was off the computer most of yesterday and worked on him only a little. I hope that later today I can post two updates to him, one of which will be the corrected drawing. I think you'll see a few changes. Even so, they are still only indications of placement. The lip line remains the same, as it's the center of the mouth, not the lips themselves.
Ella

crafor
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
As promised, two updates.
The first is the corrected drawing with the hat color corrected. Rachel, thanks for your color suggestion. I used raw umber and prussian blue. The previous mixture was viridian and ultramarine. This is much more satisfactory. I scraped about half the hat back because the texture of the leaves and branches was too heavy and made the hat lumpy. It was fresh enough that scraping it wasn't too hard. It still shows some texture, but I'm okay with this. The shape of the brim was corrected, too. I still have the higihlights to add. Now the features are basically in the appropriate places.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/978289-P8100064.JPG

The second photo has some refinements of the drawing. I painted the remaining original blue for the jacket both as filler and underpaint and because it was starting to dry out, and I didn't want to lose it. I'm glad I did--I think I'll go with the original dark blueberry color of the jacket.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2012/978289-P8110066.JPG

I feel like it's back on track now, thanks to you all.
Hard Crits and helpful comments welcome.
Ella

Andrewcody
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I think you are back on track too
Forget the tree branches for the moment and work the face
:) it is looking much better
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Ella!!! Definitely a massive improvement! Well done so far, and good on you for taking the advice and suggestions and continuing on with it! I know that is hard to do when you have worked on something for a while and suddenly it is like.... total re-arrangement and starting again !!! Because you have spent time on a work and can be marginally happy with it, it can feel like a crazy idea to start it again! Good on you Ella I take my hat off to you and will watch Rick get repaired with complete faith and respect for your effort! He is looking much more like Rick already!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
08-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Andrew, thanks for sticking through this with me.
Debs, thanks for your support, too. I haven't been able to paint for a few days, but have been thinking of it and hope to start on it by tomorrow again. Because this started as alla prima, I didn't do a verdaccio. So I think I will now for his face. His skin color is so red, I think it will make a big difference. I think too that colors from my camera to the screen aren't really accurate. His color isn't as red as what shows up on MY pc.
Big changes ahead! :)
Ella

crafor
08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Rick- oil on canvas, 16x20"
August 16, 2012 The verdaccio layer is finished. I'm doing only his face this way. In the future I may do the entire canvas with an underpainting. I decided to do it because I felt it would make things easier for me. I'm glad I took the time.
Hard crits and helpful comments welcome. Thanks for looking.
Ella
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2012/978289-P8150073.JPG

Debzy
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Great improvement Ella! Looking much more like the man! I would make his chin a little wider at the bottom, just a little suggestion. Maybe you haven't worked that area yet, sorry if I jumped in too quick. Loving this study! The hat colour looks great, well done! Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Debs, I agree, I lost the chin again. Now, since his mustache isn't over his eyes, and his nose at the eyebrows :) he's easier to see. That's one reason I decided to do the verdaccio layer. The other, on MY PC, his whole face looks dark red, with little variation. I was able to use GIMP and desaturate the colors to see the areas better. There isn't a lot of variation: He is pretty dark, with the exception of cheeks, a bit of forehead, and nose, a few spots under his mouth. The main darks are around his eyes and neck. Not even too dark under the chin. But doing that I could see the shadows under the hat and ear better.
The face is not dry enough to work on yet. It will be a few days. We're in monsoon season, and it's been hot and humid. Too, I don't use turpentine or mineral spirits, and this is pretty thick paint. So drying time is a bit longer.
Hope you're feeling better, and up and around.
Ella

thevaliantx
08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I hereby propose that the forum create the formula for the use of the 'RIP' acronym with thread titles.

RIP_FOO :: for Repairs In Progress, in which the author has yet (upon creation of the thread) to attempt to repair a piece.

FOO_RIP :: for Resting In Peace, in which the author drops the piece off at the nearest Salvation Army, and runs. :lol:

thevaliantx
08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Debs, I agree, I lost the chin again. Now, since his mustache isn't over his eyes, and his nose at the eyebrows :) he's easier to see. That's one reason I decided to do the verdaccio layer. The other, on MY PC, his whole face looks dark red, with little variation. I was able to use GIMP and desaturate the colors to see the areas better. There isn't a lot of variation: He is pretty dark, with the exception of cheeks, a bit of forehead, and nose, a few spots under his mouth. The main darks are around his eyes and neck. Not even too dark under the chin. But doing that I could see the shadows under the hat and ear better.
The face is not dry enough to work on yet. It will be a few days. We're in monsoon season, and it's been hot and humid. Too, I don't use turpentine or mineral spirits, and this is pretty thick paint. So drying time is a bit longer.
Hope you're feeling better, and up and around.
Ella

crafor, I admire your effort to rescue this one. I'm not a painter, yet, so I can't imagine what goes into doing one, but still .... something went wrong in the beginning, and you found out the hard way, and chose to tackle it, rather than start over (something I probably would have done). Keep at it!!

crafor
08-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks thevaliantx. For me, it's a lot of work and time, and too often, fear. Not only "stage-fright", but the dread of not knowing what I'm doing OR what to do next.
On this one, it's not so much that something went wrong, just that I decided I didn't like what I had. It wouldn't work for what I had in mind, so I made this change. I'm glad I did.

I'm including a close up of today's work. This is still more a blocking in of colors, and I'm just not sure they're right. I'll let this dry a few days.
There is a long way to go on this. Looking at the painting, I think I lost more than the chin. I think the whole side of his face needs adjusted. For me, a beginner, it's part of the process. I hope I get over this "stage", this slow phase, soon.
Hard crits and comments welcome. Thanks for looking.
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2012/978289-P8190083.JPG

crafor
08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I hereby propose that the forum create the formula for the use of the 'RIP' acronym with thread titles.

RIP_FOO :: for Repairs In Progress, in which the author has yet (upon creation of the thread) to attempt to repair a piece.

FOO_RIP :: for Resting In Peace, in which the author drops the piece off at the nearest Salvation Army, and runs. :lol:

:D
Ella

Wahsuzy
08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I think you are doing fantastic!! Very inspiring :)

Debzy
08-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree completely with Suzy, very inspiring and it will work out because you want it to! You are very patient and it will pay off. Don't rush it, a slow phase is better than another repair! You will get it right, you are doing everything right and it is looking fantastic. keep up the good work Ella!!! Cheers =)) Debs. p.s. I am feeling much better today thank you, back to work this week. yay!

crafor
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Today's work on Rick, another close-up. Turns out today's needed adjustments weren't TOO many. Corrected the chin, grew the mustache on the bottom and shortened it on the top for a nostril correction:angel: , worked a little on the profile edge of the forehead. Not sure it's correct yet. I added the area of the eyebrows, and basically worked all over the face, adding color. I feel like I'm sneaking up on him. :) The previous paint wasn't as dry as I would have liked. I hope it doesn't cause a problem.
This canvas has the other painting of him on it, and I've scraped back a few more small areas. I hope they won't be visible when this is on the wall. I really prefer a smooth canvas for my portraits.
Hard crits and helpful comments welcome.
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2012/978289-P8210089.JPG

Andrewcody
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
From where you started to where you are now has been quite a successful journey Ella. You have been bold and you are seeing the results, well done!!!!
Rick's face has real structure now.
Regards
Andrew

thevaliantx
08-22-2012, 03:16 AM
I agree completely with Suzy, very inspiring and it will work out because you want it to! You are very patient and it will pay off. Don't rush it, a slow phase is better than another repair! You will get it right, you are doing everything right and it is looking fantastic. keep up the good work Ella!!! Cheers =)) Debs. p.s. I am feeling much better today thank you, back to work this week. yay!

This is the very sense I get with Ella. For that reason I, knowing nothing about the costs of materials and time spent with oil on canvas, STRONGLY FEEL that Ella should transfer what she has learned from this to a NEW canvas. She has picked a pleasant subject to paint, and she wants Rick to emerge (now I'm starting to sound like a therapist). ;)

TX Rose
08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Sorry, imho I can't agree with 'thevaliantx' to give in at this point and move to a clean canvas. Ella still has an opportunity to learn from this journey with much interest and support from her WC friends and coaches. Sure, the canvas she is using may be overworked at the very end but it would be then, after she has better perfected this piece and learned so much, that she could start on a clean canvas and take her lessons with her. If she starts over now, on what appears to be still be a viable surface and while she is still trying to "Repair Rick", she could end up with an overworked canvas anyway. She has stuck with it so far, with my admiration, and is making impressive gains.

Andrewcody
08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I am with you TX Rose
Regards
Andrew

crafor
08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Suzy and Debs, Andrew, thanks for your kind words of support. Those words are important, and do help me move foreward.
Thevaliantx, I haven't decided about starting a new canvas for Rick yet. But I will take the lessons I am learning on to the next ones ;) .

Rose and Andrew, You're right, I have a lot to learn with this portrait yet, and if I do it again, there may be some things I would change.
Though I prefer a smooth canvas for the portraits, the texture on his face is not really a problem. I did start it as an alla prima, but there was relatively little texture from that. I used a knife on the sky, and the texture there is noticeable, but not a problem--the sky area is relatively smooth. The overhanging branches were done more thickly and with a heavier texture. The problem there is the upper part of the hat has some texture I'd rather it didn't, but I don't think it's a serious enough to dump this canvas. The patches that I removed from the face were quite small, and I don't see a problem there.

I can't work on his face or anymore of this for a few days now. Drying time has increased due to the paint used and the humidity--still in monsoon season here. But this is where it stands now. There's a lot of work yet to do, as you see. I do lke this blueberry color. The shirt he had on underneith from what I could see was black. What do you think of that?

Hard crits and helpful comments welcome. Your support and encouragement mean a lot to me. Thanks for looking. (Sorry--I see it's on a slight angle)
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2012/978289-P8220094.JPG

Debzy
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
It is coming along very nicely! You are really doing a fine job. Every new instalment adds more character and more realism, I am very impressed Ella!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

thevaliantx
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Ella, good to see you continuing to work with this piece, even if I suggested that you give it a fresh start. I can definitely see both sides of the argument as to whether it is beneficial to stick it out, as the risk of overworking a piece, or starting over on a new canvas with all mistakes being in the past. It's a crap shoot, really. Sometimes we DO need just plow through something for the sake of finishing it.

I really feel that this portrait was a SIMPLE one (for some reason to me the feller's physical traits look like they would be easy to draw), but that might be where the trap is.

Often, if we are pleased with the subject we are drawing, or not intimidated by it, it can spell disaster. As with all things in life, we must stay on our toes.

crafor
08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Debs, thevaliantx, thanks.
Here's recent work. The creosote bushes are now about the corect color. I do need to add dabs of yellow flowers after this dries.
Finally got a bit more color on his face. All comments welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2012/978289-P8280100.JPG

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Looking good:):)

crafor
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Suzy. I made a small change this morning, too. I moved a couple of lines about 1/8 inch. THAT made a big difference. It surprises me how much difference that little change can make. What I think it did was improve the "set", the "angle" of his head. I think it looks more like him, and I now think I could move one of the two lines a fraction of a tad :rolleyes: more and it would be even better. And the best part is, it will be easy to do.
Ella

crafor
09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
There's stll a lot to do, but please comment now. Storm coming, I needed to get the photo now.

On the computer, I see the beard area is really splotchy, so I either need to remove and redo, or continue and make it heavier. I think it needs to come off. What do you think?

areas I know still need work: nose, mustache, mouth, hat, jacket. The hat in the painting is much darker than his hat, which is a light olive. Should I try to chanage it? The ribbon position is off and I want to correct that, so, I could try a better color for the hat.

What else do you see needs work?

Comments and suggestions, please!

Thanks

Ella
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/978289-P9020109.JPG

Wahsuzy
09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow!! What an improvement! This is looking really good. :clap:

crafor
09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Suzy, thanks. I did more after posting this, will post a new photo in the AM. Then I'll work on the hat and jacket. I hope to finish this by Wed or Thursday.
All suggestions welcome.
Ella

crafor
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
This is last night's work. Rip it apart. I'm including the whole thing as well as a close up.

On the first I stood farther away from the canvas thinking that maybe I was too close on the others. I see there's a lot of "glare" I guess those white spots on his face are still wet oil.

Maybe it's too hard to tell anything from photos like these. Other people post nice photos. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The second is a close up. Maybe you can see it better to comment on it.

Today I plan to work on the hat first, then the jacket. AFAIK, the only other thing I need to do is get his eyebrows bushier. If you see anything that needs work, please point it out. I do not want him disappointed when he sees it on his wall.
Hard crits and helpful suggestions welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Ella

This is the reference photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/978289-P6090357.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/978289-P9030110.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/978289-P9030111.JPG

crafor
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
RICK, 16x20 oil on canvas # 33
started August 04, 2012 Finished Sept 3, 2012
Thanks for coming along with me on this journey.
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/978289-P9030118.JPG

Octopus Inc.
09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
This looks great. You've revised it many times and still come up with an image that feels loose and lively. The likeness is quite good, and I've enjoyed your tenacity in making it work.... Oil paints will submit if you are persistent.

Andrewcody
09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Ella I am so pleased that you persisted with this.
You should be very proud of your achievement.
The likeness is good, and I hope to see more of your work
:)
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I think you have done a fantastic job Ella!:thumbsup: Go girl!!! :clap: From the first posting to this posting has been an amazing journey for you and us!:heart: Your persistence certainly paid off and I am certain Rick will be over the moon when he sees this! You have developed into a fine portrait painter and I hope to be as good as this when I do my next portrait! :crossfingers:
I am so proud of you for taking critique, working with advice, asking for help and continuing when the chips feel down! :eek: I have learnt so much from you and I thank you for that! :angel: Well done Ella, please let us know what Rick thinks. Cheers as always and keep painting! :D Debs.

crafor
09-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you all very much.
You people are very talented, and your comments encourage me.
To hear that the likeness is good, that it feels "loose and lively" --thanks, Octo--relieves a lot of pressure. It is so important to me that he not be disappointed.
Andrew, thank you for your comments. The persistance did pay off. There were several changes, starting with the very first massive one :o. That hat went through several color changes, a couple of angles changes, and it grew, then shrunk again.:o, ending with FINALLY getting closer to a more realistic color.
Debs, thank you. For the first time I am sure he will like it. I hope, as you said, he'll be over the moon when he sees it. If it's dry, I'll give it to him this weekend.
And I hope you will be seeing more. I just put the next 2 or 3 on the drawing board.
Thank you all very much.
Ella

Revilo
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
You've definitely repaired him. Good job!

arnieb
09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
First class result:thumbsup: great portrait. Arnie

crafor
09-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Revilo, thank you. I appreciate your looking in and commenting.
Arnieb, thanks for that high praise.
Thank you both. I KNOW he will like it.
Ella

Border Corpsman
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Motivator! In the military we would yell this out to one who pumps us up for a daunting task. I shout out to you "Motivator!" as I prepare to do some work on the painting I am struggeling with. One of my biggest fears with Solace is being so close to what I feel is the end only to possibly have to make some major changes. One thing I keep telling myself is "You will learn much from it." Now, I feel like it is not such a major strongpoint to take. Almost like I have a battle buddy in you lol! It may be painful but like they say "No pain, no gain." Keep 'em coming crafor and thanks for this thread and all the support you give me on my WIP.

Monte

crafor
09-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Monte, You made me blush. Your words and your emtion are high praise, and I am humbled. I'm glad I could help you, and am pleased to be your battle buddy. Just remember that I'm learning too, so it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind! :D
Thank you.
Ella

Border Corpsman
09-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Monte, You made me blush. Your words and your emtion are high praise, and I am humbled. I'm glad I could help you, and am pleased to be your battle buddy. Just remember that I'm learning too, so it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind! :D
Thank you.
Ella

I wouldn't use "blind"... maybe lost in the dark... I have night vision goggles I can share though.

crafor
09-08-2012, 11:09 AM
LOL! You got a deal, Kid!
Ella

edwardII
10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Hey there Ella, you have gotten some really good feed back so far. I am intimidated by portraiture more then anything else probably and seeing you work this through is good for me and others to see.

I will make a couple remarks based on thread issues already mentioned. For the hat color, that is what looks to me to be an army type (US) olive drab green which is probably more like the greens that come from a mixture of ivory black and yellow rather then the standard blue yellow range. Try mixing a couple of the Blk/Y greens for exercise if you haven't already. Going the blue/yellow way you'll probably be ending up adding black to modify anyway.

Another issue brought up was the grid drafting method, which is valid but not something I do or yearn to do myself. I am aware I could probably to a more realistic job using the scheme but I am comfortably with the "almost" look one can achieve freehand. This is not to say I wouldn't use a bridge and mahl stick to steady my hand while drawing. And then there is all that work involved in grid-ing and multiplying :) I am a lazy sod as well!

One thing more. Are you drawing on the canvas whilst it rest upon easel...cause for drawing this doesn't really compliment my natural drawing movement. If I can I will draw on canvas...or watercolor paper, what have you, in my more natural drawing position. I'd rather fight getting a likeness then fight also the vertical nature of easels.

P.S. I like the branches for background and will be following along with your work. Thanks for sharing your painting and travails!

crafor
10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
That hat! :D You saw some of the color changes. I don't know what I used finally. I know it's still not the right color, but they love it! I'll try some black/yellow mixes, you may be right, I probably did, but didn't get it right. any suggestions on the hues? I have two blacks, and about 7 yellows.

Rick was frehand, on paper, then charcoal added and traced onto the canvas. I, too, prefer freehand. I still practice that when I can.
Thanks for stopping in and your thoughts.
Ella

Debzy
10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I am a lazy sod as well!:D
Edward you are funny!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :D :clap: :D And must be English, I was born in Manchester and we use this term all the time, even though I have lived in Australia for 46 years !!! :thumbsup: Good responses and insights on Ella's thread, it has been a great learning experience for us all as well as Ella :D Cheers Debs.

jimwhalen
10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Hello Ella and all. I wasn't here for this amazing journey, but I just scrolled through this thread and I an very impressed with the results of your portrait Ella. It is heartening to see so many good artists willing to help like this. My hat's off to all of you; I am pleased and proud to be a part of this communty.

crafor
10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
My Goodness, Jim, Sorry--I didn't see this. Thank you for stopping in and for your kind words.
Ella