PDA

View Full Version : Rejected

Luvy
07-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Hello Everyone *S* I've have my bestfriend of over 30 years visiting from up north. So I've been really busy. But thought I'd let you know about the exibition I entered Got a big rejection.. I feel ok about it though. They had 115 artist submitting and over 500 slides all narrowed down to 34 pieces. So guess I have plenty of company on being rejected LOL OH well I have slides now at least. Maybe next time

Have fun. My friend leaves Friday night and then it's back to my artwork

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Luvy: You made the effort and that's what counts. As you said, now you have slides and know the process. On to bigger and better things!

CarlyHardy
07-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Luvy...it's "not selected" instead of "rejected".

I have been "not selected" many...many times! You did much better than I this year...first I missed the deadline for a show I wanted to enter...and now I've lost the slides I made!
carly

Dyin
07-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Yeah...Carly has the right word for it!! Really, though...don't feel too bad...a lot depends on which judges you have and what type of style they are into. I know lots of people who get 'not selected' in one show and then get an award in another...and don't forget...a lot of times the quality of the slides makes a diff and you had to hurry with yours...you do lovely work and just hang in there...you'll make it!

rd2ruin
07-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah, and you're still a step ahead of us who haven't worked up the motivation (nerve?) to be a position to be accepted.

And you can't win them all, I seem to remember you doin' pretty well last time you entered. Leave sum prizes for the rest of us LOL :D

Where all do y'all find out info about submitting for shows and all that? (did I mention I have a graduate degree? I speak good!)

Cheers!
- Greg

jackiesimmonds
07-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Luvy - glad to see you have a positive attitude about your "rejection", best way really, they chose so few, it might have been a very close call where yours were concerned.

Here in the UK we have a huge exhibition each summer, called "The Summer Show" at the Royal Academy. It is fairly "prestigious" to be selected so HUNDREDS of people submit work, and loads are "rejected". So one of the smaller galleries in London decided some time back to hold an annual exhibition called "Not The Summer Exhibition", showing work that had been either "selected and not hung" (yes, it happens, how galling is that) or "rejected". They show some beautiful work - people regularly comment that NICER work appears in this show of "rejected" paintings! So it is clear that it isn't necessarily that the standard of rejected work is lower, it is just something to do with the selection process, the limited numbers of pics that the judges can accept, and, sometimes, their personal likes and dislikes. It is really important not to take it all too personally.
Better luck next time!
Jackie

Dyin
07-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Greg...did a search using words...how to submit slides...and this was one of a lot of threads...might help...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42658&highlight=how%20to%20submit%20slides

Deborah Secor
07-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Hey--I may be a bit prejudiced here, since I write for The Pastel Journal, but they have listings of upcoming pastel society shows and competitions in every issue!

If you're into showing at street fairs or booth shows, get on one of the lists like Harris-Rhodes (may be Harris only now) or Sunshine Artists. There are shows, big and small, every weekend forever in America.

And if you want to show locally, every time you go to a fair or show, ask one of the artists how to get a prospectus. (Then fill it out, get slides and give it a try...)

Luvy, if I could count the number of 'not accepted's I've gotten it would be embarrassing! But the fact is, it comes down to only the opinion of the jury or judge and it isn't personal. I know one woman who had a painting she thought was good rejected form a half dozen shows--then it was accepted to a biggie (might have been PSA, can't remember) and won a huge cash prize!! So, you never know. The one rejected today may get in tomorrow. Keep trying.

meowmeow
07-24-2003, 12:19 PM
That's too bad Luvy, but everyone has been right in their comments. And you sound like you have a good attitude.
It was brave of you to make the effort though...keep trying and once of these days you will be "Selected"...

Sandy

Luvy
07-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Ok so it wasn't rejected it was not accepted. LOL Same thing LOL
I've been so busy lately. I haven't had a chance to get back to you guys. I accepted the fact besides I'm not the only one that wasn't accepted. Maybe next time But I have some slides to submit now LOL Now where else do I submit some? I would never do a show away from home anyway with the costs of shipping. Now that would be a gamble. I hate to waste money. But maybe something close by I'll enter again *S*

You all are so great and I know some of you have so much experience with all this. I'll learn Thanks for commenting

And I am ok with this really. I've just been busy is why I haven't been back in. My friend was visiting and now it's back to work *S*