PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard Kestrel after Myorca

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Okay, here's No.3

Myorca very generously let me copy his Kestrel and even provided me an enlargement. I feel I've learned a lot trying out this one. I used a straight pin (worked great, Bob) and blended with a fiberglass brush. Thanks so much, Bob. I eagerly await your critique.

White Clayboard, Japanese Sumi, 5 x 7:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/6306-scratchbd_kestrel_after_myorca.jpg

myorca
07-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Eileen,

You did a wonderful job!! What a huge difference between this one and the last. I can see the competition will be getting stiff in the near future!! hehehehe I too love how the straightpin works. The control you get from it is second to none as far as I am concerned.
You will have some increbible work Eileen, and the more time you spend on a piece the more incredible it will turn out. My 8x10's take between 100-400 hours. You are DEFINETLY on your way!!!!!!

:)
glad I could help!

Bob

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the nice comments, Bob, but you are too kind.

I really appreciate all the help you've been giving me--it's made all the difference. It took me four hours to do this on a 5 x 7 board. The bird itself is just under 3-1/2 x 4-1/2. I'm trying to go slowly. Do you think I'm going too fast? Part of it is the ink. It's so easily scratched. I'm thinking that when my pre-inked boards arrive, it may take longer to get through the same size piece.

I feel I've learned a lot about strokes and shading by copying your piece. Thanks so much for your kind generosity.

myorca
07-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Eileen, Whether you are going to fast is not something I can say. What you want out of the final piece will determine how long you spend on it. I know when I do one that takes a few hundred hours, the difference in the outcome if I had stopped sooner is immense. There does come a time however where I am afraid of overworking it and ruining it, and with all that time invested it would be such a hard thing to take if I did ruin it ya know? LOL

I think you will notice a big difference between the preinked boards and the ones you have been inking. Let me know what you think when you start working on one! Feel free to follow any of the ones I have done. Just go to threads I have started and pick one if you like.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, and please ask if you have any questions :)

Bob

Jakeally
07-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Eileen....you clever girl....this is marvelous:clap: :clap:

AriadneArts
07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Thank you so much, Chris. These white boards that I inked myself were good for practice, but now I eagerly await the pre-inked boards. They should arrive sometime this week.

Kalibabe
07-29-2003, 06:42 AM
I especially love the eye on this, the glasslike darkness and gloss of it really shines through.
That intelligence that birds of prey posess really shows in their eyes. Brill!!

:D