PDA

View Full Version : Art Class

kare
07-23-2003, 07:50 PM
I had my first class of 'expressive drawing' lastnight at the Brisbane art college, in town.

I LOVED IT!!!!

I haven't done an art class since highschool, 3 years ago now and I was expecting the same kind of atmosphere to be honest. But it was totally different! The class was full of enthusiasm and it took a while for me to realise that only people who love art were in my class! No one was complaining about anything or looking at their watches.. The 3 hours went so fast that everyone didn't want to leave, I think :)

I just wanted to share my enjoyment with you :)
ciarrai.

Shehaub
07-23-2003, 11:08 PM
What kind of activities do you do in this class? Please share. I do a lot of open studio and I can relate to how nice it is to be in an atmosphere where people are there because they want to be.

kare
07-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Hi Shehaub! :)

The class was given an assignment to complete over the 18 weeks of the course and at the end, I think we will be displaying the results in the Gallery Nona.

Each of us had to chose a feeling lastnight that we could relate to and had to take a piece of paper and attach several things to it. We could either tear strips of it and then stick the strips to the pice of paper again (to create an odd border on the paper), use a knife and make holes/strips/spikes in the paper or roll the paper into a ball/funnel ect.
This exercise was meant to go with whatever your feeling was.
My feeling was 'Joy' (though my piece of paper looked somewhat sickly :) )

The second exercise was to work in whatever medium we had on us at the time, to experiment with different strokes, textures and styles. I ended up using four pages of my art journal for this one, but it was well worth it!

The third thing the tutor asked us to do was to experiment with shape. We had to draw several different shapes that could relate to our feeling. For example: if my feeling was angry, I could draw shapes with sharp turns. Since I was working on 'Joy', I used circles because they were softer.

Then we had to experiment with figures of the hand. I only had enough time to do a bit of a sketch on one hand, though I think I have come up with a great idea for my assignment now!

I made copies of the hand I drew onto transperancy film today and have layered the copies one on the other in my journal. The end result has to be somewhat abstract and looking at this piece, I will have to re-work all that I did lastnight in the class, but I am thinking of changing my feeling from 'Joy' to 'Grief'.

The hands will symbolise hands helping one another in times of grief, so I feel this is far more relavant to my subject and my feeling. Am I making much sense? I will begin a new thread in the next few days, if I am able and show you all of my process so far, if that will help.

-ciarrai :)

Shehaub
07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this. The class sounds like a lot of fun.

kare
07-26-2003, 07:30 PM
I will post my work on the assignment so far sometime this morning in the drawing and sketching forum :)

DanaT
07-28-2003, 08:59 PM
How fun! My colleague took a class like this. He said it was the best money he ever spent.

kare
07-28-2003, 09:34 PM
I tried uploading all my files onto wetcanvas lastnight though my laptop decided to start playing up and just as I was about to hit the submit button, I lost everything!

Tonight, I promise.

DanaT
07-29-2003, 11:19 AM
you mean the dog didn't eat it :p lol

kare
07-31-2003, 05:08 PM
LOL no dana, suprisingly!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2003/18486-3_hands.jpg

I'm going to re-copy it onto acetate and instead of sticking it flat down onto the paper next time, i'm going to place the acetate a few centimeters off the paper (with blue tack or something..) so it creates a shadow onto the paper.

I thought the teacher would disagree with what i wanted to do with this piece, because i didn't draw the 3-hands overlaping myself.. (photocopied one hand 3 times and overlaped them)..

The teacher actually loved my idea and is now pushing all the other members of the class to doing works like this too.. experimenting with different techniques and basically anything we can get out hands on.

I thought about colour design.. Am thinking about overlapping some cellophane when i'm done with the acetate.. should add some nice feelings.

DanaT
08-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Oh my God! The creature from the Black Lagoon! :eek:
:D

kare
08-07-2003, 08:38 PM
LOL

kare
08-08-2003, 03:12 AM
I'm having some difficulties with a few girls in my art class.
The teacher is constantly commenting on my work with positive feedback and two girls in particular seem to sneer and giggle at whatever the teacher says about it.

I am just there to learn. I take my art seriously and love experimenting with different styles and mediums- I want a career in it. I am not paying for this course just to have a few others sneer or laugh at something I do..

Does anyone else have problems like this?

luvlorn
08-15-2003, 06:31 PM
I'd have to say the only people who have really gotten sneered and laughed at in any of the classes I've taken, were always weird and obnoxious (and oblivious).

I think most people in my classes enjoy seeing a project someone does when it's really cool, even if their's isn't making a splash.

That's pretty immature of people to treat you like that just for your accomplishments, but maybe there is something to be learned from it. Try taking the negative emotions you feel toward them and putting it in your art. If that doesn't work, you could always take it out on them at critique time :).

kare
08-17-2003, 07:41 PM
they didn't seem to sneer so much last class.. but they are so busy gossiping, it seems they don't hear what the teacher is saying and when it is time to get back to work, they ask me for help..

i'm actually trying to be more of a positive person in my outlook on life.. so this is something that i should practise on, i guess.
Thanks for your reply!!

saralindsey
08-20-2003, 03:30 PM
glad you are enjoying your class, you seem to love the creative push it is giving you. i'd not worry about the giggling girls, while one would love to hope immature was left behind in high school- it isn't always. i do applaude your choice to be the bigger person and help re-explain assignments that they missed due to gossiping. personly i'd telling them something a little bit wrong so they learned to shut up during class and pay attention- but i have little patience for people who bother me during classes. after three years high school like behavior is not my most favorite thing.

hope you continue to enjoy your class as such as you have so far.

kare
08-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I actually had to miss last nights class because i've got the flu.. I was all set to go, no matter what.. but my head became so clouded and stuffy, i decided it was best to curl up on the couch with a blanket and watch the simpsons hour :rolleyes:

Artrunner
09-05-2003, 03:06 AM
its a well known fact that an hour of the simpsons can cure most diseases, as well as inspire the creative!

and about the sneerers...

just let it go. it sucks to see someone else constantly praised instead of you. i've been on both sides of it. if you did good, just say thanks to the compliment, and don't let it go to your head. whatever the teacher says, everyone KNOWS who's got it and who don't.

feel better!