PDA

View Full Version : Silverpoint Dogwood Branch

Erica Shipley
08-08-2012, 10:54 AM
This was just for practice but ended up turning out very nice so far. Its silver-point on prefinished store-bought canvas no grounds just factory gesso. I didnt want to waste nice paper and my grounds but did not expect such dark nice lines especially on the texture of the canvas. From a distance you almost cant see the texture.

Now not sure what to do next. I want to experiment with adding some color. Maybe a light blue wash to the background? I would of tinted if I had realized it was going to go so well but its ok just a practice piece. Any advice to moving forward? I have to many choices between acrylic, guoahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2012/1076792-silverpointsized.jpgche, wc, oil pastel and cant make up my mind what to try.

I also have a tendency to over do it so is this a case where a touch of color to give it a umf or should I use this as an under-drawing and lightly paint it? So many ideas I cant decide.

Andrewcody
08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Erica this is quite lovely
I have never tried silverpoint myself
You have created a work of art.
Sorry I dont have any advice, but I will be watching your progress
Regards
Andrew

Erica Shipley
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Thank you!

Trumper
08-09-2012, 04:33 AM
:) Thats lovely ,i would be tempted to leave it at that and start another project to try colouring :)

Debzy
08-09-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm not familiar with silverpoint Erica, but I think this is lovely. It is a hard decision whether to colour it or not, but I feel some smudging of background might be nice, or very weak watercolour may enhance an already beautiful drawing. Good luck! Cheers. =)) Debs.

Erica Shipley
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I worked the shadows in better and was very careful to keep the background very clean. I opted to put it outside for a few minutes around noon today...:eek: .about five minutes and several rain showers later I realized it was still outside! So...patted it dry and going to see how it is in the morning. Glad I didn't paint it or I might of had a watercolor mess! That will teach me not to rush nature! Pictures in the morning then I guess I can figure out what to do with it. Glad it was on stretched canvas as paper and most other canvas alternatives would of been dissolved or sloping gross heaps of mush. :lol:

Not worried about it I feel it will work out one way or another and what is meant to be will be! I never do anything the easy way and turn it all into an adventure.:wink2:

Debzy
08-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Oh Erica!!! :eek: Why did you put it outside????:confused: I hope it is ok. :crossfingers: Maybe it will add some new dimension to it? :cat: =)) Gotta look on the bright side hehehe!:D Don't forget to show us...... :thumbsup: Cheers =)) Debs.:wave:

Revilo
08-16-2012, 09:44 AM
It's a great opportunity for practice in several mediums. You can watercolor it and then paint over the watercolor in oil. The water color will act as a great ground for the oil paint over it.

Erica Shipley
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
This morning it was stained around the edges and dirty but dry! So I covered the background in blue gouache and washed it off and took a heat gun to it. I put a phone pic on fb but it looked bad so going to take some pics with my fancy camera. I figured I would roll with the stains and go for an older look.

I agree with the idea of oils but have none. I do have a nice set of sennelier oil pastel that haven't been used yet! Good time to tinker with them and get used to the feel before I try something more serious!

This is turning out to be a nice adventure!

Erica Shipley
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2012/1076792-Silverpointadventure2.jpg

I did a small digital edit to square it up and size it then I did a small contrast change to get it to look more like it should. The camera has a little issue with the reflection of the silver. But this is where I am at right now. ummm and I just realized I left the darn thing outside again from taking a picture of it! This is not normal for me to forget something outside. This branch must want to get with the tree its drawn from!:rolleyes:

Andrewcody
08-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Erica, well it did brown as it was supposed to out in the weather.
I am not sure why you want to use oil paint on this - wouldn't that just cover up the silverpoint?
Regards
Andrew

Erica Shipley
08-17-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't want to but it's pretty wrecked from the 8 hours in the rain before I remembered it. I tried painting as above and was happy and hung it on the wall so I could view it each time I passed the room....by 7 pm the paints are was quite faded and you mostly can't see the drawing. It's just gone to yuck...so I will attempt to use it as a learning experience. I have drawn that same branch a few times as a practice piece so it's becoming fast easy to spit out so I am not worried as I can make another.

I have some new better supportive surface for silverpoint anyway so I need to play with this and move on.

Andrewcody
08-17-2012, 01:54 AM
You can always go over it again with your silver stylus?
I think it looks quite ancient and would be a great background for something perhaps?
Andrew

Debzy
08-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I agree with Andrew Erica! It has an ornate charm about it, I think it looks very pretty and as Andrew said, could be interesting as a background to something, or I even think with some darker shading would be nice just as it is! An adventure for sure, and you might have introduced a whole new style of drawing and painting.... part of the deal is that you leave it in the rain for a few days.... !!!! Very interesting.... might try it myself!!! Cheers Erica, and be careful with your next drawing. lol. =)) Debs.