PDA

View Full Version : canson coloured paper

artistat38
08-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi all,

Canson Mi Tientes comes in such lovely colours and i have quite few of them that I still need to work on.Till now I had been working on some of the duller shades but now i will be usin some of the darker, more brighter shades. The question I had was is it important to cover every bit of the paper with pastel or should one consciously allow a bit of the coloured paper to show through. How does it help or not help the painting?

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Prashanti.

Jason1616
08-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Hi Prashanti! :wave:

Actually that is a great question. I find that a colored paper can be effective by choosing one that is complementary to your overall color scheme for the painting.

For example, if you are painting a landscape with a lot of green in it, choose a red-orange paper and let little bit of it peep through. That will keep your greens from being to harsh and unnatural looking...especially if there is a lot of it over large areas.

I would recommend using the smooth side of the Canson. The waffle texture on the other side is too mechanical for me.

Hope this helps! :)

artistat38
08-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks Jason for the information....it's very helpful....

Prashanti.

Marmsk
08-08-2012, 05:15 AM
It is a great paper for working on and takes punishment fairly well. But be careful you are using the smooth side. I like it very much for coloured pencil.

jackiesimmonds
08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
It's a terrific pastel paper. However DO NOT LEAVE LARGE PORTIONS of the paper showing, tiny hints of colour is probly ok, but THE PAPER COLOUR WILL FADE.

I always use the smooth side. No need to be extra careful. If you make mistakes, brush them off, dont paint on and on over the top.

most of the pics below were done on Canson, smooth side.

Jackie

artistat38
08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks Eileen....I use the smooth side too...the first time however I had used the rough side and didn't like it much.....

Thanks Jackie....will definitely take that tip seriously and not leave much of the paper visible through the pastels....

Really appreciate all of you for taking the time ou to respond to my query....

Prashanti.

Cieljaune
08-11-2012, 02:54 AM
By always covering all or almost all of the paper, you are depriving yourself of one of the most beautiful effects pastels can produce -- a restrained, suggestive drawing/painting with just a few pastel colors that leaves most of the paper untouched. Portraits drawn that way on blue and gray paper are gorgeous. Landscapes on pale paper OR dark can be ravishing. You just have to protect the work from UV light by hanging it in a shady, windowless room. The paper will go for the rest of your lifetime before it fades.

-- Ciel

PS: I know, some beautiful pre-19th century works done like this on blue paper have completely faded to beige ... but I will continue to treasure this painting method. I love using cut tulips in flower arrangements, knowing full well that they will wither and fall apart all too soon -- but oh so elegantly.