PDA

View Full Version : Daily Grumble 23 July 2003

soap
07-23-2003, 03:08 AM
Hi All! And a good morning.

I feel like a good rave and rage ........but that would not be fair to you guys, so I'll try to sound cheerful. Reason for my rage is I just had a horrible night sleep because of my lovely new neighbours. They've only just moved in a couple of weeks ago and the walls are so thin and they are so loud, I feel like they've taken over my house. Woke up at 3.30 because one of their children was up and 'mum' ended up shouting and talking to him all morning. Now I am up for the normal daily dose of shouting and screaming.
I am trying to collect my courage and patience to go over there and talk about it.......:crying: :crying: :( :( :mad:

Anyway, I could not resist, I started another painting yesterday. Architecture this time - loads of arches and columns. It is big, so I'll post it when it is (nearly) done.

I liked my lesson in punting yesterday.....LOL....Mo, I am sure I would end up dangling on that pole with the boat miles ahead! LOL

E-J: tell us, how was it? Good weather?

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
And Dyin: congratulations on your medal! You really deserve it, you've become an important part of our little forum in no time at all. Well done.

Cheers,
Soap

Smudger
07-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Good morning all.
Sorry to hear about your restless night Soap, go and see them and get it sorted...at the very least they should buy you some earplugs:D

soap
07-23-2003, 03:36 AM
He Smudge, was the headmistress as scary as you remember her?

Smudger
07-23-2003, 03:43 AM
err...no....the truth is the new headmistress is younger than me!!!!!!!!!! made me feel quite old:(

soap
07-23-2003, 03:48 AM
LOL!!! :D

Yeah, it's strange when people get younger in posts where you don't expect that. LOL

Smudger
07-23-2003, 03:56 AM
LOL... it sure is, i was stopped by a policeman the other day who didn't look old enough to buy a drink let alone arrest me!

soap
07-23-2003, 04:01 AM
Ha ha LOL! I know.......I am working in university libraries a lot and see undergraduates using the library for giggling and chatting, which reminds me of my 'younger' days.....I must seem like a real sad case to them! :D One of the few who studies there during summer break! Well together with some dusty old professors then......

Smudger
07-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Maybe we're getting old but maybe we just need to remember what it's like to be that age again... i know!, i'll get us a Bouncy Castle for the Pastel Party:D :D i know where i can get a Bob the Builder one for the weekend:D

Smudger
07-23-2003, 04:12 AM
ooh..just noticed i've been Minionised:D

soap
07-23-2003, 04:14 AM
oh dear......old and minionized........LOL.......Yeah, I passed a bouncy castle the other day and was dying to get in/on it, but I was not allowed......too old......it said.....snif......

E-J
07-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Punting yesterday was great fun ... nobody fell in, tho there was one near miss (not me!) :) It took us an hour and a half to reach Grantchester, where we stopped for a picnic of cheese, wine and strawberries. Disappointingly there was no sign of Jeffery Archer ~ pity, I could just have fancied some shepherd's pie and Krug :evil: The trip back along the Cam, with the sun setting all streaky pink and orange and purple and everyone happy and slightly drunk, was truly lovely. We even managed to avoid a 'punt bombing' by the young boys hanging around on the river bank who threatened to jump into the river and capsize us ... and wanted to buy our alcohol ... Don't these children have bouncy castles to jump around on??

Smudger
07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Just came across this list of quotes directed at the art world...:D

"This is either a forgery or a damn clever original."
Frank Sullivan.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves they have a better idea."
John Ciardi.

"An amateur is someone who supports himself with outside jobs which enable him to paint. A professional is someone whose wife works to enable him to paint."
Ben Shahn.

"When having my portrait painted I don't want justice, I want mercy."
Billy Hughes.

"The art galleries of Paris contain the finest collection of frames I ever saw."
Humphrey Davy.

"I inherited a painting and a violin which turned out to be a Rembrandt and a Stradivarius. Unfortunately, Rembrandt made lousy violins and Stradivarius was a terrible painter."
Tommy Cooper.

"Andy Warhol is the only genius I've ever known with an I.Q. of 60."
Gore Vidal.

"Who among us has not gazed at a painting of Jackson Pollack's and thought: What a piece of crap?"
Rob Long.

"A high-brow is someone who looks at a sausage and thinks of Picasso."
AP Herbert.

"Rembrandt painted 700 pictures. Of these, 3,000 are still in existence."
Wilhelm Bode.

"Abstract art is the product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."
Al Capp.

"Mona Lisa looks as if she has just been sick, or is about to be."
Noel Coward.

"Any fool can paint a picture, but it takes a wise man to be able to sell it."
Samuel Butler.

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic."
Ambrose Bierce.

"Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course."
George Bernard Shaw.

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
Pablo Picasso.

Dyin
07-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Ha ha Smudge...looks like I'm a professional fool who's not very wise LOL!!! Ok...here's something to make you all feel better...I never once thought any of you were older than early 20's...until we mention being old no one talks or comes across as old...here we are a bunch of kids playing with our paints and pastels...and that is what I see here.
Congrats on your minionization!!!!
E-J...that sounds like fun....but what on earth is a bouncy castle???? A big inflatable thingee???? I've used a paddle to get a canoe unstuck in Alaska...does that count as punting lol?
Soap...thanks, blush, blush. Oooh, neighbors...one of my favorite things when I lived in New Mexico was the closest neighbor was 1/2 mile in either direction...still not too bad...in a new section of the park here and have about 3 acres surrounding me on three sides...but behind me they're about 30 feet away...drives me crazy...yep, have a talk with them...have you thought of getting a sound machine if that doesn't work??? I have one with a lovely little creek trickling...it really does help when the neighbors get too happy....hope you all have a great day!!!!

angeline
07-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi all..........finished my run of 7 nights ....yeah! We were busy so I didn't get as much playing done as I expected.......i have still been practising drawing eyes. I will be having a lovely soak in the bath tonight and maybe get some pasteling done thurs.
Liked the quotes Smudge.
Ej sounds like you had a lovely time.
Sophie you have my sympathies for the lack of rest!

Gayze
07-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi, everyone! Sorry I vanished for a few days ... have been reading and catching up a bit, played in the 'weekly' thread, and has everyone seen that wonderful tutorial "Step by Step" by MikeN?

Soap, sorry to hear about the loud neighbors. :( Hope you're able to work it out.

Smudger, the quotes were great. Thanks for sharing them!

Punting E-J? I see I'll have to keep looking back through my missed scumble reading. Glad it was enjoyable, though!

Just a quickie-chat type question for everyone: out of curiosity, approximately how many pastel sticks/colors do you have in your collection?

I started out with "a set of 24 or two". A semi-funny story: I'd mentioned to two friends, who are totally unconnected and live on opposite sides of the Atlantic, that I wanted to start up with pastels again after years of being out of practice, and both decided to send me a gift ... both chose the exact same starter set of 24 Winsor & Newtons.

:p

I've been happily adding colors from open stock as I find I need them, but recently realized that W & N have *no* really dark greens, so for those I sent for some Rembrandts. Methinks at this rate I'll be collecting for a while.

Hope everyone's having a lovely week. Our beautiful cool clear weather, at least the clear part, ended and we've been surrounded by thunder storms (and even several tornados the other day in adjacent counties).

--Gayze

Dyin
07-23-2003, 06:46 PM
After scrimping and saving so far I have about 120 soft rembrandts...mostly portrait and landscape colors. And I have about 140 Sennelier oil pastels...some obsolete colors now and 96 Caran d'Ache neopastels...plus assorted prismacolor pencils and some pastel pencils...and guess what? I STILL have to layer colors to get a certain shade lol!

Mo.
07-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Evening all.... nearly morning again.....Sophie,... get those darn neighbours sorted out my girl, before you are driven around the bend.....that cannot be fun..... let us know how things go.....

There's a true saying you know that when the coppers look young.. you are becoming old! :D..... I must try to find the pic I have of my DH when he first joined the force...... at training school.... it's a hoot... he is stood alongside the tallest recruit at the time, but it's the helmets.. his is down over his ears, and the other fellow's is sat on his head like a pimple... too funny.....

Smudge... theose quotes are wonderful, I've been chuckling away here... going to print them out.... some I've read before , but lots I haven't.... my fav is....All of them , they are absolute gems.....thanks for posting..... hey ever seen a duck flying backwards?:D.... bouncy castles... don't they look fun, never had those in my young days... all we had then were swings and roundabouts and playing marbles and jackstones, skipping ropes and hopscotch... standing on your head and showing your knickers..... oooh 'eck... Am I that old?:D.... yes guess I am. :D

E-J... could have done with a dose of your fun...sounds like a really great time you had......

okay Hayley, where are those eyes you've been practising... want to see.. post them up in the Weekly, did you do your own... you know gaze into the miror and draw what you saw.. Hmm?

And where the heck is Bkargraves with her peach recipe, she comes in here making all our mouths water, and hasn't the decency to post the recipe of her peach pie. Huh!! Tsk! Tsk!

Gayle... answer to your question... not enough:D.. LOLOL, also too many to count... :D:D......

EVER SEEN A DUCK FLYING BACKWARDS.... anyone? :D:evil::D:angel:

Have my big meeting tomorrow... Wheee!!

angeline
07-23-2003, 07:06 PM
I would post them in the weekly but they took me 3hrs! Oh and they are in graphite.

Dyin
07-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Mo...I'm so happy you have your meeting tomorrow!!! Ha...and I'm sure your DH appreciates you laughing at his pic:evil: :D :angel: Be sure and let us know how the meeting goes...
Angeline....did you post them in drawing??? Got a link???

Gayze
07-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Mo. asks: Ever seen a duck flying backward?

No, but apparently someone has....

http://www.moondance.org/1996/winter96/poetry3.html

--Gayze

Mo.
07-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks Sue... will do... Hey Gayle... your link's not working for me :(

Gayze
07-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey Gayle... your link's not working for me

Oh. Hrm. :( I just clicked it and it took me to the page fine. Can you try copy/pasting into the address bar of your browser?

It's a cute poem about a backward flying duck.

--Gayze

Dyin
07-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Ha...I saw a backward flying duck...funny, twas in the mirror!!! giggle, snork, guffaw....

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Chuckle . . . I have about 3 different sets of soft pastels and I keep using the same colors and the rest just sit there. Art Spectrum for some reason is hard to get by the stick, but going to look. I have about 4 sets of OP's good and bad. Pastel pencil set from Farber Castel - really nice. Bought 4 Neopastel II's - watercolor pastels - interesting to use with water and they are good quality.

I've been thinking about Dawn and when she gets back . . . she is going to be lost what with all the newbies and new posts. So much going on here for summer - ouch, what happens when everyone returns from "hols."? LOL

Some really interesting stuff going on in the Pastel Riot - you need to stop in and see the challenge that Mo has put up.