PDA

View Full Version : Two 'Meat Boxes'

vegaskip
08-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Both Acrylic on Mountboard, can't remember the sizes but certainly less than A3. Both done some time ago.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2012/223281-Meteor_800.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2012/223281-Meteor.jpg

Yorky
08-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Nice work, especially the second. Why did they call the Meteor the "Meat Box"?

Doug

vegaskip
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks Yorky, I really have no idea, probably because it starts Met sounding like meat. Service people seem to have a preference for their own made up names, it was always Bucc rather than Buccaneer, Sea was usually omitted as in Vixen, Venom. There was always interservice rivalry, the RAF was/is usually refered to as 'The Crab Fats' ( crab fat being a bluey grey colour) Hence 'The Crimson Crabs' a well known aerobatic team!
Soldiers are always refered to as 'Pongos' and Royal Marines as 'Bootnecks' or 'Royal' depending on how fast you can run!
Shag Bat, Stringbag are another two Walrus and Swordfish.
Others are welcome to add to the list, what about some US nick names
Jim

NeilF92
08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Frightening = Lightning , The Pig = Varsity,
Dragmaster = Javelin ( though I don't recall us using that term when we had them on 228 OCU at Leuchars ) - it was just Jav.
Mostly names were shortened Shack , Bev etc .
I like your NF Meteor Jim . I have somewhere a photo of the vintage one that does the airshows - it looks immaculate in those colours.

vegaskip
08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Neil, I have no idea what I used for reference. I agree most names were just shortened, Halibag is another that comes to mind though.
Jim

Chas McHugh
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Tomb
Tonka
Plastic pursuit ship
Wokka
JP
Tincan
Wet Dream
Sea Queen
Jag
Albert
Ten aka Vickers Funbus
Brit
Walter
Chippy
Barge
Wimpy

Canberras are always referred simply by type ie PR9 , T4 etc

How many can you get?

vegaskip
08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I remember Single and Twin Pins doing circuits over the Dockyard at Singapore, from Tenga or Sembwang I suppose. Ok for you RAF types, you had lots to choose from.
Jim

halthepainter
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
When I was associated with the SR71 and it was flying operationally out of Okinawa, we called it the Habu, after an Okinawian snake which was a cousin to the Cobra.

When I was flying the FB111, much to the dislike of the Air Force, we called the bird the Aardvark probably because of the big drooping snout.

vegaskip
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks Hal, I think there probably were some local names which never got outside the Units as well
Jim

Gray539
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Nice paintings, Jim. The Meteor was a cool looking old plane.

Aerobuby
08-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Buen trabajo Jim !!! Tengo gratos recuerdos del Gloster Meteor pues los vi volar mucho aquí. Argentina había comprado varios para su fuerza aérea (creo que 100). Ahora hay varios como monumentos sobre pedestales y en el museo.-
Carlos

vegaskip
08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the Aviation thread Carlos, look forward to seeing more of your work' we will be having a Meteor in the skies here next month as RAF Leuchars Air Display is due, and they usually have a Meteor and a Vampire in the show.
Jim