PDA

View Full Version : The creative flow?

Rose Queen
07-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Bet there are some good ideas among the members of this forum!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121158

andyvry
07-23-2003, 05:07 AM
Being 'an artist' can be a solitary existence, and speaking for myself, this can result in a lot of "self - seeking" and lead to all sorts of problems if I'm not careful - staleness,,,, boredom,,,,, dissatisfaction,,,,,, depression,............... Yikes!!!

To avoid this - or keep a measure of control, I suppose - I get out on my bicycle a lot.........do an impression of Lance Armstrong.. :D :D :D and find after a good 40 mile run or so, the blood coarsing through my veins is enough to get me back on track - stimulate the creative juices. [And no......I'm not knackered after a bike ride.... Refreshed is the word... :p ]

I also find that asking after other people - usually hearing about their problems - helps me put my own in perspective.

At the end of the day, we are all different and will find our own ways to overcome 'the block' but I do feel it's something that many do not pay enough heed to the 'warning signs' and before they know it, they are completely flat.......

andy

Rose Queen
07-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Good point, Andy; I think you're quite right that most of us don't pay attention when we're on the downhill slide and it's awfully hard to get back up if you wait until you're all the way at the bottom. I, too, find I'm invigorated by a trip to the gym for a good workout, but I bet bicycling is better food for the soul! :D

DanaT
07-23-2003, 06:27 PM
One thibg I do is to define my problem (could be I don't know what to paint) and I randomly pick a photo from a magazine, newspaper, or book and I expect the find the answer there.

Sometimes its as easy as painting the photo; sometimes its not, the image in the photo reminds me of something else I want to paint or a place I want to go. Oftentimes the photo is just a point of departure.