PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard #2--Kestrel

AriadneArts
07-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Here's my second attempt at scratchboard. I ran out of India Ink, so this is Japanese sumi. Sass, thanks so much for the brilliant idea of applying the ink with a brayer. It worked!

I used a sewing needle, a wire multi-wire tool and steel wool.

5 x 7 White Claybord
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/6306-scratchboard_kestrel.jpg

myorca
07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi Eileen,

Is it possible to post a close up of the head? You are doing a good job with these. One of the greatest advantages of scratchboard is the amount of detail that can be achieved with it.

Let me know if you have questions and I will be glad to answer what I can.

Bob

sassybird
07-23-2003, 10:49 AM
You are really moving ahead with the scratch board, Elieen. Wonderful detail in this one. Keep it up, and keep us posted;)

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Thank you Bob and Charissa. Bob, I'll have to re-scan to get a good head shot. The one I already posted became pixelated when I tried to enlarge the head.

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Okay, here's an enlargement of the head area. Please bear in mind that the prior post is life size. The post to follow is waaaaay bigger than life size.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/6306-scratchboard_kestrel002.jpg

Bob, how do you hold your straight pin? Do you have a holder? I tried a needle--pushed it into a cork, but it was awkward to use.

myorca
07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi Eileen,

I cut the head of the straight pin off and use an xacto knife holder to hold the pin. It work wonderfully!! I tried to use a sewing needle and it was too flexible for me. Using a cork to hold it would be pretty unstable I would imagine. Is it?

You have a very interesting pattern when I see it close up Eileen! I am going to post a Kestral I did a few months ago and I hope you dont mind. Something to keep in mind when doing scratchboard is try not to outline areas. Unless of course that is the effect you are looking for. For realistic/photo realism type work concentrate on working on light or highlights without an outline.

You are off to a great start!!!!!!

Bob

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Wow, Bob! That is gorgeous! So life-like. The eye is amazing! Say, would you mind if I tried to copy it to learn from? I'd like to see how close I can get (not very close at all, I know ;) ) by trying to emulate your strokes. I've not tried stippling at all yet, either. I believe you said you stipple the non-fur/feather areas to get subtle shading. I've stippled in tech pen and ink, so this should be just the opposite.

myorca
07-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Hi Eileen,

I would be honored! Feel free to use mine to go by. here is a close up of the eye and beak. If you want a larger image of the whole thing PM me and I will be happy to send it to you.

I hope it helps!!

Bob

myorca
07-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Eileen,

I want to see if I can make the thinking process easier for you about stipple and scratching "opposite".

When you draw with lead/ink, you draw shadows. The only thing you have to think about with scratchboard is drawing light. Dont think of it as drawing negative space. When you are painting highlights you are adding light. I think this may help you not get confused. You are adding light instead of dark, and dont think about taking the black away. Hope this doesnt confuse you..but this is the way I think about it, and have never had a problem with it.

Of course I have always NOT been in the right frame of mind anyway LOL

Bob

AriadneArts
07-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Bob, you are such a generous soul! Thank you so much. I do think your POV of drawing "light" is a very good one--much less mind boggling than "taking away." This morning, my husband gave me a tool that's got a very miniscule bit in which I inserted a headless straight pin. I can hold it like a pen. I think this will work very well.

Off I go to start the next piece. Thanks so much! You are a sweetheart.

myorca
07-23-2003, 03:22 PM
My Pleasure Eileen!!! I look forward to seeing your next masterpiece!!!!!!!!! :))

Bob