GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Figures 5
Year Created:
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did several figure drawings of a few friends of mine and then transfered the images to my poster board with graphite paper. After that i just started filling in. I'm really trying to find a unity in random shapes as of late, there are def. parts of this peice that seem...sloppy. I personally enjoy the center of the picture but lose ways of tying the colors and shapes of the picture together as i get to the outskirts of the page. Working on "figures 6" at the moment, would love to hear suggestions to improve this peice. "figures 1-4" were experimental and not worth showing! Thanks for any reviews!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Let me know what you think or improvements i can make for future peices like it!

Andrewcody
08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Reminds me of some of Robert Crumb's work
Good work with coloured pencil
Regards
Andrew

Nonno
08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I like your choice of colours, but the piece is too busy for me to look at for more than a few seconds at a time. While there are lots of interesting things to find, there's no COI.

Jonathan.

Debzy
08-07-2012, 03:22 AM
It has an aboriginal feel to me, but with vibrant colours! I am a colour loving person so it works for me! Nice job. =)) Cheers. Debs

Margaretta
08-08-2012, 05:30 AM
It made me think of that much more simplistic but revolutionary artist for his time...the one who painted faces and heads made from complex arrangements of fruit. Your work uses so much from your imagination and knowledge of things and words and you go beyond by implying movement. Maybe you could develop that aspect much more?

"I personally enjoy the center of the picture but lose ways of tying the colors and shapes of the picture together as I get to the outskirts of the page. "

I'm not sure what you mean by this as it seems unified by the size of your marks, the vibrancy, the 60's colour range and the overall energy of the piece. The only thing I wonder if you are thinking is about a COI (which for me is currently the character with the Rodin arm top right). Are you considering gradual 'fade-out' away from your COI? Are you adding to your challenge with perspective?
Love your style and people would want to have this as there is so much to discover. I'd love to see Figures 1-4!!?

TecoAndJix
08-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I guess ill give away my "Anonymous" status with this post (i posted this way after a sour first review of my last peice....i'm over it lol). Thanks for all the thoughts. When drawing this i really did not have a COI in mind, it was more a peice to explore unity in a bunch of random shapes. Where it "fades off" is towards the left of the picture (i work right to left) but maybe having a COI in my next "figures" peice could help correct this? Thanks again for all the feedback, i love how the door to other artists work is opened by a single comment or post on this page....might be spending too much time here instead of painting in fact!

Debzy
08-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm glad you have revealed your identity Teco. I know sometimes there are comments that can really undermine ones passion and self esteem, I have been the receiver of one myself very early on in my time on WC. I can't tell you which one because shortly after there was a WC crash and lots of posts and threads were lost, it was one of them. I felt so disheartened and almost gave up posting here. Then I got a bit angry and thought it was just one persons interpretation and who is to say she/he is an expert!!!! So I continued posting and I am so glad that I did now because I have learnt so much from critiques and advice, and made so many friends and fellow artists who all have good days and bad days. Still get the odd unfavourable comment but they are pretty rare and I take it with a grain of salt and listen rather to the ones who sincerely want to help even if I don't like what is said. Most on here would rather help than hinder, and constructive criticism is useful, very negative criticism is not. Keep posting and keep smiling! Cheers. =)) DEBS.