PDA

View Full Version : "Georgia Barn" from Painting Nuts first session

totsy
08-04-2012, 10:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-04-2012/158729_Session_1_Barn.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Georgia Ba<br>" from Painting Nuts first session
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've not posted anything in this forum in ages. This is a 9X12 oil on board.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I had difficulty with perspective especially on the left side of the ba<br>. How should I resolve this?

Andrewcody
08-04-2012, 11:41 PM
It could be me but your image didn't load totsy

Andrew

K8K9SAR
08-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey I am new, but have drawn lots of barns over the years. I love the way you have captured the time of day and the brightness in the foreground vs. the background.

The challenge in perspective to my eyes with this barn is inside the rounded top of the area at left. I imagine that there are hay-bales or logs or something stored in the space, but due to their regularity, they make the floor line on the right inside of the storage space appear out of perspective to the ground line of the outside left of the barn and the left roof line. This trick for the eyes is underscored by the line made by the top of the dividing wall between the open area of the barn and the area we can't see. If all four lines could dissolve to the same vanishing point, I think your barn will jump into shape (only wish fixing a real barn could be this easy)! Hope this helps!

tgsloth
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey, T, great to see you back. We'd all like to hear a description of who are the "painting nuts". On your post, one thing I notice is that the sky seems dark. The sky is the only light source in the painting and it looks like a patchy overcast day so you've got to brighten the sky to make it read with the values you've placed in the foreground. On the perspective issue, I'm not sure I understand K8's post entirely but it seems quite thoughtful. My take on the perspective issue is simply that the left side of the barn needs to recede towards the vanishing point. It's now a rectangle; the top and bottom need to converge as they move back in space. I also think that the barn is going to look funny to many viewers with the asymmetrically placed entry opening. That's nothing on how you've painted it but on how you've chosen the barn compositionally. Anyhow, here's a photoshop to, I hope, show how the perspective change I advocate would look.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2012/124239-158729_Session_1_Barn.jpg

Andrewcody
08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Ah yes there it is :)
I think Tg has the perspective problem on the left sorted for you
Andrew

totsy
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks K8, I'll take a look at the logs and make them more irregularly shaped.

totsy
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
TG, I've been hanging out with Johannes. A number of us from Johannes painting classes are in a group on Facebook called "Painting Nuts". We submit photos and we select by vote one photo to paint each month..it's a democracy!

Thanks for the photoshop fix. And yes, the sky is way too dark and patchy. I was just so over this, but I'll fix it.

K8K9SAR
08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2012/1104212-158729_Session_1_Barn.JPG
I created this earlier before I realized I had to post a few times to be able to post a photo. I came back to post it to show what I was trying to say with waaay too many words in my post above!

Debzy
08-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I love your foreground and colours, and with the perspective changes it is a delightful painting! "Painting nuts" sounds awesome!!!! Cheers =)) Debs

totsy
08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes K8 'that was a whole heap a words' and I pretended to be knowlegable...lol. Hey, thanks. A picture sure paints a thousand words. That nailed the perspective question tight. Appreciate it.

totsy
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks Debs, you've given me the encouragement I need to make the changes now.

DeeDeeh
11-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Is this group still active? Would love to participate even though I am still trying to navigate Wetcanvas.

arnieb
11-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Very enjoyable. Like your treatment of the fg grass, and the tones - very realistic.
Bobs suggestions have improved the barn, but to me the main problem is the asymmetric roof pitch. I think if the apex was central It would look more natural, or moved further to right to emphasize that its not central.
Arnie

La_
11-04-2014, 01:25 PM
ooold post from 2012

the facebook page 'painting nuts' doesn't seem to exist anymore

totsy, any updates from that?

la

lunchbox
11-10-2014, 05:30 PM
The fastest way is to find your eye level line and vanishing points. Then take a tack and pin a string on a VP. Then pull the string across to the barn and the angles should be easier to see.

eyecandy2
11-25-2014, 11:34 AM
I'll keep it simple. The gross failure of this painting is the lack of values. All of your values are the same so that you have no contrast and everything is flat. Many of the above critiques are also valid. You can improve this painting be making the lights lighter and the darks darker and so on.

Apodemus
11-26-2014, 07:44 AM
[quote=eyecandy2]I'll keep it simple. quote]

I'll also keep it simple. You're replying to an old thread (2.5 years old).