PDA

View Full Version : opinions?

leosarrow
08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
My baby sister is moving away, to marry a cowboy and live 6 hours away on a horse ranch, I was toying with the idea of making my present, maybe I should stick to furniture....I rock at furniture this i don't know, I love to paint but....is that enough? hmmm?? I only have the opinion of my 4 and 5 year old who say "we wub dat horsey mommy" so I think the writing is too cluttered and it's all pretty... blah. So do I leave it out all together or? should i get a toaster and some primer?:)
:confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/1086802-my_horse2.gif

leosarrow
08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh I apologize I forgot.... It is on a board, I added texture with layers of paper and some bondo....I am at a body shop so I use what is on hand and it's pretty cool stuff really. It's acrylic and is 19 1/2 in. x 23 3/4in. My camera isn't very good and I just read the tip of photographing acrylics outside in the sun....wow should have read that before the 20 pics I took all over my house...well learned something new right? I'm golden the rest of the day now:)

birdhs
08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
A Moderator has been alerted to move this fine example of your at to the proper Forum.

IMHO it is the best possible gift- personal. unique, and memorable. ANd your sister will treaure this.

Greg

joyceboxerr
08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't think I'm supposed to reply here but I think it's quite lovely and special. I like the two background silhouettes you put in the lower right and the script is perfect. Its very expressive and that is what makes it great! It's hard to tell from picture but if it has texture that is cool too and the colors are nice... :)

Greg Long
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
It is from you. Only you know your sister and how she may appreciate your art. Personally, I always buy wedding gifts rather than give my paintings. It is a sad fact that many see a gift of our art as a cheap alternative to a 'proper' gift, but I can't answer for your sister and her fiance. I wouldn't get the primer, but maybe get the toaster (or a gift voucher) and present the wonderful painting as a I-will-miss-you gift.

I am moving this to critiques rather than Animal & wildlife as your question about the composition is not really relevant to A&W.

Now structurally I find the composition quite good, but the horse is very long in the neck, and the head needs more accuracy unless you want to abstract it further. The horses head is not a good realist painting, but in my view it doesn't need to be, but you need to turn it more into a motif and less like a poor 3D rendering of an animal. I like the piece as a whole. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tgsloth
08-05-2012, 04:33 PM
To quote the Who, "the kids are allright". This is a massively charming paintings; listen to the kids. Two ideas before you gift it:
Make sure you add a beautiful frame.
Work the horse's head a bit. Build some darks around the eye to drop it into the "face". The eye is key of any face, animal or human. And the black lines along the horse face are too few and too distinct. Glaze them down so they look more like the neck.
And baby sister will love this.

Andrewcody
08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I think this is a lovely gift from you to your sister.
Better than a toaster, and easier to transport than furniture.
Giving of ourselves is the greatest gift.
Regards
Andrew

leosarrow
08-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you for all the well worded, and well thought out comments. I appreciate it so much! I have gained alot from this experience and am looking forward to perhaps posting a few more things and learning a vast amount of crucial knowledge as I try to stay on this path.
Sincere thanks for anyone who took the time to look and even more for those who typed their thoughts.....:)

Debzy
08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi! Everything TG and Andrew said I agree with! It is a special gift and will be treasured forever where toasters are just a kitchen appliance that get old and break. To give something so personal and with such charm is priceless and a keepsake for all time. The kids know and said it all, they love that horse! Just a few tweaks as advised by TG and it will be delightful. Well done ! cheers =)) Debs.