PDA

View Full Version : New Pastel Riot!

Mo.
07-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Yonks ago we had a weekly thread originated by our very own Road to Ruin. aka Greg, bless his cotton tops......I thought it would be good to revive it but with a little slant/difference...

The object back then was to paint your artistic renderings from three chosen ref photo's and then to compare each individual's approach to the subject.. no time limit...just artistic expression.....This thread has died back so I'm going to revive it..... this time with a difference... you have three pics to look at and to choose from..... the difference is to reverse the colours that you see...i.e. you paint the pic using the opposite colours on the colour wheel... I would think you all know as artist's what I mean.... Consider this as a bit of fun, but also as an excercise in understanding colour... so get those colour wheel's out folks and have a go... weird paintings no doubt we will see... but come on... have fun, turn things around and upside down... relax and see things in a very different light

So here are the three photo's taken from the reference libary... no time limit, this thread will run as long as there is an interest, then will be replaced by a further three pics, when interest has died in the current ones..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/5154-11822spikydaisy-med.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/5154-19780barn3-med.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/5154-9879dsc01890cherries-med.jpg

Go on ...you know you want to.:)

Mo.

Dyin
07-21-2003, 08:51 PM
geez, all these kicks in the butt...this one I'll try..so keep it up there a bit...sounds like a good exercise....

rd2ruin
07-22-2003, 12:58 AM
What's a color wheel? LOL

- Greg

soap
07-22-2003, 03:13 AM
Phew.......ouch......yes almighty guide......:D :D
It is probably hard enough to just paint the things, let alone paint it in opposite colours!

Mystiq
07-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Yikes!!! :eek: I can't even get the 'proper' colours right, let alone imagining reversing them!!
But might just give it a go if I can find free time.... and a colour wheel! :p
~*Tracy*~

Mo.
07-22-2003, 06:00 PM
okay.... here's a kick start for you guys... OP's on black Canson 8x10 inches 40 mins work..... I rather like it too....:D:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/5154-spikes.jpg

Dyin
07-22-2003, 06:07 PM
I rather like it too! This is the one I'll do too...now it's more challenging to do it differently than you did...glad to see you happy with something!!!! Really came out sharp and bright...like it very much!

Mo.
07-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks Sue... it was really odd working in opposite colours, but creative somehow if you get my drift, it's like working outside of the box.... good fun to try something different gave me a few ideas too, one thing I found strange... you know what they say blue recedes, reds jump forward...... but think I've proved them wrong on this one.... interesting what? :D

Dyin
07-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah...that blue pops nice...could be because it's a black background and you let it show thru the red a lot...btw...today my OPs just wanted to melt...don't usually work late afternoon...I know how frustrated you get now!!!! I'll bet it's fun to work out of the box...promise I'll give it a go!!!

Dyin
07-23-2003, 12:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/19147-Pastel_riot_one.jpg

ROMFMAO!!!! Don't think this is one for my portfolio:D :rolleyes: :D but it filled the requirements!!! I used orange outsides for the center because that is the true compliment for the purplish tone...anyways, it was a good exercise...I was a little suprised at the true opposites...I know complimentaries but use a general tone, not specific...so I went and found the exact ones for this. And by not trying to make a great work of art out of it I actually had as much fun as I did as a kid when I colored....the flash messed somethings up...it's not green paper...it's a very pale blue and I used some metallic colors around the outside...figure I'll never use them anyways...but they just show up brown:(

But this was a good idea to get us going on complimentaries and I haven't pulled out a color wheel in ages...may look at it a little more!!!

Ok, everyone...I, the biggest slacker on the quick painting threads, got one done.... where is YOURS????

Smudger
07-23-2003, 03:40 AM
Mo - good to see the riot up again...with a twist:D

Love your negative flowers...cool:cool:

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi! Decided to try the cherries - in OP on hot press illustration board. Going to post this in the OP thread too - discovered a new technique (for me) on this new support. Hope the colors are correct - not sure about the deep purple, but they seem to work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/14941-green-cherries1.JPG

And a close-up of one of the cherries -

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 04:57 PM
hmmmm . . . . that second photo didn't seem to work - will try again

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/14941-green-cherries-2.jpg

Process: I was not happy with the large cherry to the left - too much color and couldn't get anything more on. Decided to scrape it off and took a dull kitchen knife and scraped all the color back in the small light area. When scraped, it still left the color on the board and I decided to blend it in rather than add colors. Voila! The scratch marks are the result of blending in - proceeded to do the rest of the cherries and some on the plate.

It gives it an interesting texture.

Dyin
07-23-2003, 05:13 PM
am loving this Kat!!!!! Too cool....the scratching gives it added texture...lovin the color you used on the stems too...I'm havin another go with the house this time...this is an interesting approach to things...I can't spell it but they call scratching back...sgrafitto...or something close to that....good job!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 05:19 PM
I'll be really interested to see how your house turns out - cannot imagine the colors you will come up with!

E-J
07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Kat, your sgraffito technique is cool. Thanks for posting the close-up.

Mo, those flowers are so vibrant! I love the red and blue together.

Sue's interpretation is very different and has a cheery, playful feel.

Dyin
07-23-2003, 05:41 PM
blue/greens and red/violets....trying something new too!!!! We'll see how it works....

Mo.
07-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Well you guys are really going great guns with this project.... looks like you have dug out you colour wheels too.....good sgraffito effects Kat.. isn't it fun?

To help you a little further, look at the pics, then squint... blot out the details... if you have some sort of software like PSP or Photoshop, or other... take the pic you choose, then up the colours, make them as bright as you can... then look at your colour wheel and use the opposite colours and split complementaries to get those variaties. i.e split complementaries for instance take red as the main colour... the comp colour is green and variations of green depending on what colour red is the main colour.... the split comps are the colours alongside the green i.e. blue green/yellow green... Savvy?..... So play around use a bit of license and have fun.. If I have time tomorrow...have a meeting to attend.....I'll post some buzzed pics of the originals for you to simplify things a little okay?

Mo.
07-24-2003, 04:20 PM
okay I've buzzed out the details in the barn and upped the colours for you to make it easier.... so now the colours of the barn are a reddish brown... should be easier to find the opposite colours.... hope this helps.:)

Don't forget though the trees are not the colours shown here... you will have to refer to the original for that.... Is this too hard do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2003/5154-barn03.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
07-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Just trying to get my hands around it - the opposite would be greenish brown?

:D :confused: :rolleyes:

Dyin
07-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Hey, Kyle...no color wheel???? I can try and scan mine and send it to you PM if you want...I knew opposites but duh, have a color wheel and never use it...it's interesting to see the EXACT opposite...of course I'm using artistic license too...I'm doing this one now...anyways, brown is a dark tone of red actually...if you do it true red, then green is it's opposite, so you'd use dark to light tones of green...I'm thinking of it as red/orange so using blue/greens...and on the trees...well, I thought they tended to a yellow/green so am going with a red violet...which is opposite on the color wheel...does that help???

Kathryn Wilson
07-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Dyin: I have a color wheel or sorts - but it did not indicate colors like brown, grey, white and black. Seeing the photo looks like a reddish brown, the opposite would be the green family.

What is the opposite of grey - whatever the grey is a composite of?

Dyin
07-24-2003, 05:31 PM
yeah, that sounds right...if it's a blue grey then a yellow/red tone grey...etc....I know how it gets confusing...to me brown is actually red and blue and yellow, but the red is the predominant color...and I would guess that black and white are opposites but again if it's a toned black, like a reddish black then a green tinted white would be appropriate..this is a good thread...makes you think!

Mo.
07-24-2003, 08:23 PM
okay you guys.... this is good.. because it's making you think COLOUR!!! right.... A colour wheel is a must for any artist, never , never be without one, especially when you are learning... eventually you will know instinctively what colours to use... you don't have to stick absolutely to the strict opposites, use imagination, variation... but if you have never , ever used a colour wheel before, then you are losing out on so much.... I deliberately hyped up the browns in this pic, to make them appear more red, so that you would be able to see... ah! yes opposite of red is green... but ther are so many variations of green as are variations of red... don't guess... use that wheel, learn and know how to apply the colour... this is what this particular challenge is all about... so many say I don't know how to make my paintings 'POP'

Knowing colour, understanding those complementaries and contrasts and knowing how to use them will develop your skills with colour usage, there are lots of tuts on WC about colour... check out the articles, use WC! to your advantage... it's all there, every piece of information you wish to know is there somewhere, all you have to do is make a search... go on try it out... for instance ... how many of you have tried the Virtual Pallette?... it's there at the top of the page.. go on click on virtual pallette and have a bit of fun with your colour mixing... you will be pleasantly surprised... check out Jackie Simmonds articles on colour,.. take it all in and learn, that is what these articles are written for... your benefit....

Colour wheel and colour... think about red.... think about how red and variations of red, from pink... to yes brown, then think about green opposite on the wheel to red... so many variations of green from warm ... ie. leaning to yellow.....to cool .... leaning to blue.... Red also can be warm leaning to orange/yellow, and cool leaning towards purple and blue.... experiment, try it out , get outside of the box, and most of all have a load of fun whilst doing so.

Dyin
07-24-2003, 08:34 PM
You go, girl lol! The virtual palette is very neat and works well...I've used it before...I think we get lazy with pastels in a way...the colors are laid out in front of us and we don't have to mix...but we should...layering via cross hatching or light scumbling brings out beautiful tones but you have to know which colors to use to get the RIGHT tone! (geesh...sound like I know what I'm talking about...:rolleyes: )

soap
07-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Good tutorial thread indeed. Well done Mo! I should join in, as I have never used a colourwheel in my life, and don't even have one. But....he he.....I am going on holiday.....and I'll try to come up with the colour wheel opposite of blue skies and pink icecream. Ok? :D :D

Smudger
07-25-2003, 04:33 AM
OMG... you guys need to buy or even better make a colour wheel PDQ... not sure how i'd survive without mine

Mo - i thought your adjusted pic was a painting then:D

soap
07-25-2003, 04:49 AM
Do I really need one? managed alright so far :D

Mo.
07-25-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks all.... good to know the thread is being looked at:D....

Sop[hie.... enjoy your hols...have a happy, happy time, I must admit, don't use my colour wheel much now..since my dog chewed it up...:D..and you are a seasoned artist, so know the score,.... okay purple and green .... yucky!.... Sue.... you don't mix your OP's? who are you kidding girl? :D

angeline
07-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Ok I have a colour wheel and will print out the pics and hopefully do one soon. this looks like fun.
Good job here Mo.

Dyin
07-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Well, I meant like regular paint on a pallette, Mo...lol...I kind of call what I do 'glazing'...
if any one wants to know how to make a color wheel of their own it's really easy...think of it like making a clock....at 12 you make a thin wedge of red, at 4 yellow and at 8 blue...your primary colors. Then in between these you put the secondary color which is a mix of the two on either side...so 2=orange, 6=green and 10 is violet...the color exact opposite is the compliment to the other....the next set is tertiary colors...you mix the two outside colors to get the inside color...1=red orange 3=yellow orange, 5=yellow green, 7=blue green, 9=blue violet and 11=red violet...that is the basic color wheel...and still, the compliment is the exact opposite...so it's a quick reference guide. you can also take each color and change the value as you move down to the narrow end of each wedge...the top would be tinted with white to show the light value, the next would be pure color, the next two would be a medium dark version and darkest version..a lot of times the best complimentary color is one shade to either side of the opposite color of what you are using....
too much??? Thought it would be educational...though most know this already it was a big help to me when I started out...

Dyin
07-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, wasn't going to post this til it was done...but figured SOME people needed a little kickstart to see what you can do with this...I won't do it as a WIP...we all know how SLOW I am with those lol! I've been working on this when I can't stand the brain strain on the other...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2003/19147-sized_Pastel_riot.jpg

I chose the red violet tones for the trees as I thought they were a real yellow green and that's its complement...chose blue greens for the wood tones...and I run a little of the dark violet over some of the areas to deepen them...I keep thinking this is like another planet somewhere where the atmosphere makes you see these colors...and I not only am learning complements but I am also seeing how tone works in unfamiliar color combinations...lots left to do and of course some tweaking...but I think it's coming along pretty good...thanks Mo...good learning experience!!!!
Come on you guys...let's see some more!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Are you speaking about moi?? I've been busy girl! Tearing down a deck and participating in the FND. Be the bear!! Be the bear!!
See the bear that was a bear to do in 2 hours.

This reminds me of the Louisianna Swamp Monster scenes in movies - really spooky and surreal. Looks like you're having fun!

Dyin
07-25-2003, 11:08 PM
ROTFLMAO...my title is born....I told DH and he said uh-huh...man of many words is he...lol! We cross posted....you ARE the bear lol!!! I forgot about FND...was playing with an OP technique I want to try...so then, next week the deck will be done and Friday will be a long ways away...do we try another one???? hmmmmm?

Kathryn Wilson
07-25-2003, 11:17 PM
I'll bet DH was really listening . . . just like my DH - "huh."

Met a few folks over in the Drawing thread who did their work in OP's. Invited them over - told them to see Sue for full instructions in working in OP Louisianna Swamp Monster technique. :evil:

Dyin
07-25-2003, 11:32 PM
yep....be the swamp...be the swamp.....snork!

butterfly
07-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Mo:

Wow what a great idea ... now if I only had a color wheel in the house ... going to look on the internet to try and locate one ... but don't know about the print colors ....?!?!?

Love how you handled the flowers .... will try this also ... don't know if I would be brave enough to post tho .... we'll see.

Love what everyone did here.

Butterfly/Roni

Mo.
07-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Looking good Sue, like a fantasy piece.... like it.... Go on Roni ahave a go... it's fun. :D

kas74
07-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi everybody :)
I worked on this while having a garage sale today - just a sketch, since the sale was busy (good for me, bad for art!). This one was tougher than I thought it would be! I started the flowers too, might work on those tomorrow and post if they come out ok! Anyway, here it is (hopefully)!
kim :)

Dyin
07-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey Kim, that came out real nice...somehow you make it look like the cherries are supposed to be green! Nice highlights too...

Craig Houghton
07-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Great stuff as always everyone! I've been on vacation but I'll throw in my quickie as soon as I have a chance.

Mo - love the blues on that dark paper!

Dyin - those flowers have character, that's important :) -- and that shed is incredible so far!

Kat - great cherries - you really did wonders with that technique

kim - wonderful highlights and that stem looks so delicate

Great ref pics btw!!!! I Wanna Try!!!

-Craig

Dyin
07-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Craig...good to have you back and you seemed all revved up...vacation must have been good! Looking forward to seeing some revved up work now lol!

Kathryn Wilson
07-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Yay! Craig is back - ready to work! Can't wait to see what you come up with for this thread.

:D

Mo.
07-27-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi Kim....Your just a sketch has turned out super, look forward to seeing the flowers...:)

Welcome back Craig.... good to see you here again.:)

Mo.

Mo.
08-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Bumping this one back up... maybe, just maybe.... someone has completed some work for this one...nudge, nudge..not saying who, but........:D;)

Dyin
08-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Dundee...are you messing with me???? Geesh...ya KNOW I'm beating myself in the head to get my WIP done...it's there waiting to be finished and I WILL...now go put some lotion on...snork!

Mo.
08-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Nooo...Muffy I wouldn't dare.:D

Craig Houghton
08-04-2003, 04:19 AM
I loved the refs but haven't had any time, so I just managed a quickie bowl of cherries on a 5x7 colourfix primed wc paper swatch. I've been spending all my time on oils -- they're deadly addictive.

superquick 5x7 before bedtime

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2003/21273-green_cherries.JPG

btw - I tried clicking away with the animation thingy on my digicam. I'm not sure if it will play for everyone, but here's a teeny tiny step by step :P

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2003/21273-cherries.gif

-Craig

Mo.
08-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Wow! That's a cool little animation Craig.... love those green cherries.... I also have a movie option on my digital, yet to try it out....you've tempted me now..... Great work Craig.

Dyin
08-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Craig...man, the oils seemed to have loosened you up...I really love the way you approached these cherries!!! like the mini-movie too...hope we don't lose you completely....you and these OP's seem to work pretty well together...nice one!!!!