GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Afte<br>oon Coffee
Year Created:
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A bit different in style than I usually do. Setting is a rainy afte<br>oon indoors. I wanted to use orange and turquoise for the main colors, and at the last moment threw in some purple on the window. All the black shadows and highlights were done with India ink.

The style is loose and rustic, and reminds me of a late Post-Impressionist or Expressionist.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think of the black? To much?
Should I remove the purple in the window or make it a blue?
I added some darker toned orange around the table and chairs down onto the floor. Does this look OK, or does it seem off.
What about adding some white highlights on the table and chairs?

I have better, close up pics at my blog.

Debzy
08-04-2012, 01:34 AM
I really like this, the colours are dramatic! I like your style but can't critique because I am a more realistic painter. In my opinion, it is well done and coloured, nice abstract! Debs. =)) Cheers.

opainter
08-04-2012, 02:25 AM
My oft-hand observations (opinions). The white highlights on the furniture, as you suggest, would look good. You should keep the purple, because the three secondary colors orange, green, and purple work together well in the picture.

Andrewcody
08-04-2012, 04:01 AM
I would leave this as it is Alan, put a matt over it.
Save your improvement ideas for your next work
I do like this a lot
Well done

Andrew

dgford
08-04-2012, 06:21 AM
I agree with Andrew. Keep it as it is. I love the shaping of the left-hand chair.
Geoff

alangraham
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the ideas and comments everyone! I'm going to just let it sit right now. This was the first time I tried hot-pressed paper, so it was somewhat of an experiment you could say.

eyecandy2
08-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Very interesting concept and I like your selection of complementary colors and how you used them.

tgsloth
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I like this alot; it has energy, great colors, great handling of the forms.
Two ideas for improvement. Right now the chair on the right looks at the same level as the table. If you continue the brown "stripe" under the table past the seat of the right chair, I think you'll get the height separation which you have on the left chair. Also, I regret that the painting hanging above the table is chopped in half. I think this is a compositional mistake.

frujin
08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I like it a lot. A storm of emotions emerge out of it for me and I would leave it as is. Wondeful colors choice.

Andrewcody
08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I think the composition is very good.
The single coffee cup, one chair pushed away, the table cut, the framed art cut, legs on the chair cut - all add tension and drama, the colours assist that.
Even if the viewer does not see all of that the work is pleasant to look at.
You can make your own story here.
Regards
Andrew

alangraham
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks all for the comments. Right now it's just sitting. I was still having issues with the dark red leading down by the chairs so got frustrated and left it.

Many of you remarked on the 'painting' above the table. It's supposed to be a window looking out on a dark and stormy day.

regards,
Cory

La_
08-06-2012, 11:25 PM
i like this a fair pile too and since you're in ponder mode i'll add my ponderings ... the window could maybe use a bit of reflection from the room we can't see ... the orange wall is coming down, out, wrapping itself around the chairs like a blanket - i think i understand that you're trying to have the darkness (black) envelope the area?, but it's not quite working, i think because of the shadowed edge you've built on the orange? ... what if the orange went up the wall a bit further? and/or didn't reach the floor?

funky cool anyway, reminds me of an eclectic eatery on a lake shore i like to visit

la

alangraham
08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Sorry I haven't responded but I always seem to forget about this area of wc. Thanks for the comments, La.

The piece is sitting and collecting dust so I may or may not return to it. However, I think you are right about the red/orange by the feet of the chairs. It should be all black.

regards,
Cory

Erica Shipley
08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
I like it alot and got the window off the start. It looks alot like a restraint we have here in town painted similar colors. I feel like I have been there when I look at it because of the similarity. Has a funky feel to it in a good way.

tony1
08-16-2012, 08:00 AM
My opinion, obviously:

What do you think of the black? To much?
LIKE IT A LOT, NOT TOO MUCH.

Should I remove the purple in the window or make it a blue?
NO.
I added some darker toned orange around the table and chairs down onto the floor. Does this look OK, or does it seem off.
LOOKS GOOD

What about adding some white highlights on the table and chairs?
NOT SURE - MAYBE TRY IN PHOTOSHOP - I HAVE A FEELING IF YOU WERE TO ADD WHITE HIGHLIGHTS YOU SHOULD DO IT SPARINGLY.

Really like this - very fresh. I'm be concerned about changing anything as I think you've hit a home run, and in my experience (what I've done) sometimes when I try to fix/make better a homerun I lose the freshness/creativity. But really good piece.

Andrewcody
08-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I like the black
Like Photoshop less

thevaliantx
08-17-2012, 03:44 AM
This piece nearly brought me to tears, and I'm not sure why. It might just be the one coffee cup on the table. It might be the color of the chairs. They remind me of some chairs I saw when I was a child in the 70's. It might even be the purple. Purple is my favorite color. In a sense, the feelings for that arise from this piece are even slightly depressing. Keep this painting as it is, it's powerful.

maqbool
08-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Very nice, beautiful colors. I like the flow and control.

alangraham
08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks Andrew, Thevalintx, and Maqbool.

alangraham
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Here is the final for the most part... If you all see anything, let me know...

regards,
Cory

PS, sorry for the bad pics ;(