PDA

View Full Version : Harold the Vulture Xposted from Acrylics

Margaretta
08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2012/216855_Harold_the_Vulture.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Harold the Vulture Xposted from Acrylics
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 100cms x 80cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
At a local flying display the vulture captured my imagination. Nearby were some poppy fields. I decided to combine the two to create a contrast of drama and delicacy.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does the contrast work?
Any comments welcome.

La_
08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
liking the idea of this very much
overall comp is good i think, tho it's a bit unfortunate that you've clipped his wing tips

posting a grey scaled version for you to note the variations in values ... i notice that there's a few areas that seem darker than necessary - especially the ones close to the edge of the canvas - these pull the eyes out of the picture quite rapidly ... also notice room for lighter/darker contrast variation to be added to the coi, the bird, to bring the view most dominantly to him, yes?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/84648-216855_Harold_the_Vulture.jpg

la

Margaretta
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Thank you La. It's great to have some help.
I did think about the wingspan going 'off-canvas' when painting and hoped it would convey the might of this fantastic bird.
He was very dark underneath but I agree more lightening would increase his importance in the painting, also helped by making the bushes at the edges fade back a bit. :)

Andrewcody
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
The background looks good, and the bird itself looks good - has the Vulture spotted something dead amongst the wildflowers?
Drama - Vultures do not hunt they are not birds of prey, so somewhere there is a carcass feast amongst the flowers - Delicacy - well for the Vulture perhaps.
Regards
Andrew

TecoAndJix
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I LOVE the reds of the flowers in this picture. I imagine the vulture has recently eaten and was taken a scenic flyover to reflect on his dominance. Great painting!

Andrewcody
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Teco - possibly just eaten, in that case....he would not be flying, vultures have terrible table manners, they eat to the point where they cannot fly, then regurgitate their food, and eat it again.
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
08-09-2012, 02:08 AM
LMAO Andrew! You are such a comic! I know this is true, but it's funny too!!! Margaretta, you definitely have conveyed the size and power of this bird! I like the colours you have used, not the usual landscape mixture! Vultures are fascinating creatures, much more than they are given credit for. An unusual study, but very grand!!! Cheers =)) Debs

Margaretta
08-09-2012, 04:30 AM
This has made me :lol: :lol: Thanks for your comments.
I diligently made the adjustments suggested by La and then roared :lol: :lol: at the preoccupation some members here have with gruesome feeding habits!!:eek:
You are not alone: our friends are very wary and my husband has decided to hang it in the living room to provoke any guests who may notice it! I'm feeling a bit like a Francis Bacon now; will have to see what other absurdities and horrors I can create....:wink2: Two non-matching or contrasting elements in a painting is something I may explore more in the future.

We were on top of the hills above a stunning local Kent valley watching the display and the keepers enticed the birds with fluffy baby chicks....Awww! He is probably flying towards his perch near us but apparently he has frequently escaped and come back with dead rabbits and mice. He is a useful bird but as you say, Debzy, his wingspan is the attraction....amazing!