PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Scratchboard

AriadneArts
07-21-2003, 01:05 PM
I post this with great trepidation. The first thing I found out is that scratchboard is quite difficult--thinking "backwards" is the hardest part. Removing pigment instead of adding on. Quite a brain exercise. ;) Also, this is white clayboard (the only kind I could find locally) which I've inked myself with a brush, so please don't pay too much attention to the uneven background. Anyway, it was good practice and I have pre-inked clayboard on the way from Dick Blick. Here goes. Any suggestions, critiques very welcome. I truly want to learn this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/6306-scratchboard_wolf.jpg

Jakeally
07-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Eileen...this is very good for your first attempt. I would imagine that working backwards....as it were..... would be extremely difficult to come to terms with....Lol....I wouldn't know where to start. I suppose it's like anything else...you have to keep practicing.....and I just know you will:D :clap: :clap:

myorca
07-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi Eileen,

The image is kind of hard to see, but from what I can tell you did a great job on your first board! Did you scan the image or take a pic of it? If you scanned it, try rescanning at 300 dpi then resize it to post on here. I think you will see a big difference.

I dont imagine it will take you too long at all to get the hang of drawing light instead of shadows. Good job!!

Bob

AriadneArts
07-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Thank you, Chris and Bob. Bob, I did scan it, but I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention to the res since I set the dpi at 72 when I resize for the web. I'll scan it again and see if that helps.

AriadneArts
07-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Here it is, rescanned at 300 dpi before resizing and resetting the res. I've sharpened it a bit more than it really looks because WCs uploader often seems to blur images somewhat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/6306-scratchboard_wolf001.jpg

myorca
07-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Eileen,

This is much easier to see thanks! You did a great job on this for your first attempt at scratching!

If you can keep away from crosshatching in the fur areas I think you will see a big difference in how it comes out. When I start one of my wildlife boards, I lightly go in and scratch very short and light fur patterns and go back over them again a few times to bring out the full length of the hairs and highlights. It does take a lot longer to complete one this way, but well worth the outcome.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!!! Did you have any problems with the ink being thicker in some spots than in others?

Bob

AriadneArts
07-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Thank you, Bob. I'll try the fur your way next time. I don't mind it taking longer. I want it to look right. I've ordered a book, which I hope will come by tomorrow. It's been shipped already, so is on it's way.

Hahah! Just as I finished that last sentence, I heard a horn honk outside. It was UPS with my book! The New Scratchboard by Charles Ewing. Well, my afternoon housecleaning plans are shot--much rather curl up with this book. :D

Elankat
07-21-2003, 07:40 PM
Eileen, I think this is a great first scratchboard. I only did scratchboard once in high school and it was hideous looking! It's definitely a hard mental process and you did great with it. :)

sassybird
07-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Eileen, this is a great first attempt. You may want to order inked clay board from Dick Blick. They have a package with 3 4x6" for a very reasonable price. I bought them, but I have not done scratch board since, well, too long to remember:D

It is a very good exercise for the brain and eye. I hope you do some more of this. If you have a printmaking brayer you might try rolling the ink instead of brushing it. You will get more even coverage that way.

Ummmmmmmmm maybe it is time for a scratch board project:evil: :angel:

AriadneArts
07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Thank you LeAnne and Sass.

Bob, I forgot to tell you I didn't have any problems with the ink coating as far as scratching. It all went fairly well.

Sass, I do have a brayer, and that's an excellent suggestion. Thank you. I have an order of pre-inked boards on it's way from Blick, but I'll practice on the white ones until it arrives.