PDA

View Full Version : Sandcastles in Glass OP

Dyin
07-21-2003, 03:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/19147-sand_castle_in_glass_2.JPG

darn, my night pictures don't come out so well...there's a little more depth to the shells and castles and the blue is deeper...I did this in 3 hours tonight...mixed soft and OPs together...11x13 Fabriano Tiziano paper again...and btw...it's my first glass piece other than a couple pencil sketches years ago...

Mystiq
07-21-2003, 06:54 AM
And it looks like glass too :) :) :)
I will have to give glass a go one day... Seems a bit scary to me!! :o
I love the little sandcastle :D
~*Tracy*~

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2003, 07:02 AM
What an unusual arrangement to try with pastels - really challenging yourself! And that's good! But I want details - when you say you mixed soft and oil, which parts? And have you done this before? And how did you like working with the two?

I tried it with my ruined paper picture, but nothing magical happened :D

Dyin
07-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks Mystiq...it wasn't as hard as past attempts...this is right next to my computer...and I was fascinated with the shadow it made...the lid is to another jar, but it keeps the sand from getting dirty...I didn't even expect to finish it but it was a good exercise. Looking up at it gave it a weird perspective...you should try it...it's about really looking at it...it's just putting shadows on negative space in a way....

Kat...well, at first I was going to just try drybrushing the whole thing with straight OPs and wanted a soft subject. And the shadow started to look pretty good...but then my eye fell on a sample of Daler-Rowney that I got with my last pastel order from Dakota Art...I thought hmm...why not...so I stroked a bit over the OP...it was a bit of a strong blue and gave it some depth...so dug down to my Rembrandts and got a purplish/blue grey and ran that over it...seemed to give it that reflected light effect...I did the same with the outside of the vase...ran it over the harder edges of the OP...the white sand started with the soft and ran the white OP over it...it sort of skipped and made neat texture...and made it shine like the light reflections..on the bluish sand I did it all it blues and violet and then scumbled over it with the soft...it gave the effect of the glass and light over it...the base was OP and then a scumble of the soft again...I can see where it would work for certain things that you want to soften...going over the OPs kept the dust down...only got any on the first laydown of the white sand...would use it again...only with a plan in mind next time lol!!!

rd2ruin
07-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Glass... I'm terrified of trying it again LOL

For a first attempt at glass, this came out great. The objects look like they are inside. Mine came out like they were pasted to the wall behind it.

Nice job!
- Greg

Dyin
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Greg...you're really putting the grins on my face today... quote Mine came out like they were pasted to the wall behind it. unquote LOL! All mine looked like that before AND they looked like they were made of an alien composition...a metal/wood/concrete/crap compostition LOL!!!!

Nori
07-21-2003, 05:04 PM
I'm with Greg, love glass but wouldn't know how to begin to do it, my one attempt looked like plastic.

I too love the shadow. As I look at your picture I can just imagine the shadow moving across the wall. You have created a light dreamy feeling. I like it.

Mo.
07-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Nice one Sue...has a light delicate touch to it.. yep looks like glass too... but I'm puzzled about the top of the jar.... can't quite make out what's going on there.... you say you are looking upwards...so would the ellipse be that shape?... not talking here about the lid inside the jar.... I mean the far side outer rim, I have the feeling of looking down on it, maybe it's just an illusion and you are trying to confuse me.:D :p :confused: :D

Dyin
07-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Well, Mo...I wouldn't go to say it's spot on but there is some weird optical thing going on where it looks like it's tilting a touch at the top...in daylight part of the back part of the elipse shows but it didn't last night...not really trying to make excuses...can handblown glass be off a little??? :D ok...maybe a LITTLE excuse..but even straight on it looks odd...anyways...I adjusted that early today lol! At first I ran back and forth and then just settled for tweaks until I felt it looked better...oh...do you mean on the shadow??? because it does look like you're looking down on that...the whole thing was really strange...had two light sources and it just threw not what you'd expect as a shadow...see how the lid is cocked in the glass? (no matter how many times I straighten it, it goes back that way) Well in the shadow it looked perfectly straight!!!! I didn't think I better start trying to 'correct' it...as I think it has lots to do with more how we perceive it than how it is, I think the shadow is showing the BACK part of the elipse....anyways...I'm really just glad it looks like the glass vase....close is good enough for me on this one LOL!!!!! Never thought I could get this close without real measuring and griding...I'm content to blame it on the painter and not the glass blower lol!!!
Thanks Nori....I love the vase...used to be encased in a glass ball you could shake and rearrange...it got dropped :mad: :crying: and I came up with another way to have it.

Mo.
07-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Sue... sorry girl I still don't understand that ellipse... no it's not the shadow either... but if you are looking upwards, then the back part should not be visible like this, your eye would see the front of the jar curving upwards and the back of the jar curving downwards.. as I see it it's reversed as though we are looking downwards , hope I'm making sense to you, as I say it could be an optical illusion, no disrespect intended and it no way distracts from your lovely painting... it's just me being puzzled. :)

Dyin
07-21-2003, 08:46 PM
I'm so confused:confused: lol....you can't see the back of the jar elipse...the very top line is the top of the jar....then you see the lid knob, then the next 3 longer lines curve the same as the top of the jar, then the next two curve upwards and all those are part of the lid...there's a real distortion going on I think because it's through a couple layers of glass rather than one and then shadow threw wierd lines too...now...it's your turn....because I can't see what you see!!! I'm trying to figure what you see as the top line of the jar!!! Geesh...no worrying about me taking it wrong...I know it's not perfect and am taking it for what it is...but sure want to know what it is that makes others see it differently....say.....are you working with turps again????:evil: :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
I finally saw what you are talking about and you know what is throwing everybody off is the sand in the jar - that is an opposite ellipse and it makes your eye want the lower ellipse to be the edge. I know this does not make sense - but that is what it is doing.

Now you can have fun with my portrait with all the parts in the wrong places - how did that right eye get way over there?? LOL

:D :evil: :angel:

rd2ruin
07-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Oh, I get it. I see what Mo is talking about. I was so enamoured by the work on the glass I didn't see it the first time.

Consider what I have attached here. The lid, at least to me, looks like it's wedged inside the opening. According to your shadow on the wall, you'd expect to find something like what I have in blue. The red ellipse is the opening of the vase, and the yellow lines are lines of sight that the light will follow to the wall.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/17338-19147-sand_castle_in_glass_2.jpg

Dyin, I'm not one to 'nitpick', but you remind me of myself. You like to learn, and really stretch yourself. You dont mind if someone points out an error, and tries to help you correct it. I hope that I'm not stepping on your toes. Heaven knows there are legions of better artist here than I. That's one of the beauties of WC, we all act as a different set of eyes for eachother. Many a post I've put up here, and then after some comments, I have the infamous "A-HA!" moment, where I'd forever be painting brown flowers if someone hadn't pointed out that flowers, indeed, are rarely brown (I'm colorblind, you see...)

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Cheers!
- Greg

Dyin
07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Greg....thanks....was driving me crazy...don't mind things pointed out in the least little bit...it's weird that the lid fits so far down in the vase and the shadow does make it look opposite of what it is...think I'll pick something with a conventional appearance next time lol!!!! Hey...if you like brown flowers....I have tons...going to be yet another 100+ day...LOL :evil: :D And please...nitpick away on anything I post...I could only see the vase as my view...must learn to use those eyes in the back of my head.....:D

Mo.
07-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Sue... I've looked long and hard again at this....and I'm now convinced it is just an optical illusion... given out because of the ill fitting lid.... apologies about that... but know I look again I can see what you have done... but boy did you fool me. :D:D...

Good work too, I didn't tell you that did I ( slapping my wrists here) ...the glass is very convincing... will you work more on this.... thought you said it was unfinished.

Dyin
07-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Mo...you must like pain :evil: cuz no reason to slap wrists here lol! Nah, not going to work on it anymore...it was just to try something different and I've always had trouble with glass...wanted to see if I learned anything and was pleased I had...next time I'll leave the lid out!!! Left it in because I figured it would be more challenge..ha, ha...ended up a challenge for everyone lol lol lol. I was just so pleased to have something recognizable in such a short time frame...well, I THOUGHT recognizable...snork! I agree that it's confusing and wasn't trying to argue...I just honestly could only see it MY way...hmmm, do you think my husband may have had a point all these years???
Naaah.....:evil: :cool:

Mo.
07-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Whatever your DH's point was .. it was probably right... :D....
and yes... next time find a jar with a lid that fits.LOLOL!:D:D

Oooh you are awful! But nice.!;)

Dyin
07-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Oooh you are awful! But nice.!;) [/B]

ha...when I was little my favorite rhyme was 'there was a little girl who had a little curl'....prophetic...eh???? :evil: :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-22-2003, 07:30 PM
And just what was DH's point?

Dyin
07-22-2003, 08:30 PM
that I only see things MY way....teehee

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Silly man :evil:

E-J
07-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Sue, great first attempt at glass ... even if you chose a wacky subject just to confuse us all :D My last attempt at glass was a carafe that was regular wine-bottle shaped but with a square base, and that threw Jackie off and I wasn't sure how much of the confusion was my own bad observation or painting and how much was down to the quirkiness of the object ... of course, I decided it must be the latter :D ;)

Glass is great fun to paint! Anyone here who reckons they couldn't do it should really give it a try. I was scared of tackling it at first, but you just need to forget that it's glass and look at the areas of different colour that you can see ... and then paint them ...

Interestingly, Bill Creevy points out in 'The Pastel Book' that glass jars, vases etc are easier to paint if they have something in them, like Sue's!

Dyin
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
E-J....I thought you did a lovely job on the carafe...ha...no wonder we artists are confused...in Bill Greevy's The Pastel Book...here's his quote..."It is much easier to render transparent containers if they appear to have something inside them"...it's why I chose this...all my others were empty LOL LOL LOL! Hey...he has a big section on OPs...I must have kind of skipped that when I got it...was doing soft pastels then....cool!!!

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 09:04 AM
nice work Sue on the glass....... lolol, glad all the slapping and elipses were sorted out prior my arrival lolol

..... the subject is very unusal too

Dyin
07-30-2003, 09:11 AM
lol! You really are going back on the posts! Glad all the slappin's done too...after all, I didn't lose MY braces!!!! teehee:evil: :p

Dark_Shades
07-30-2003, 11:06 AM
ha! ha! Sue..... yup..... got through two pages so far lol...... Son is lucky he still has teeth to put braces round lolol

..... gotta seek out your one with the sunglasses..... see how that finished up...... so you never know whats going to surface again :evil: or me lolol :angel: