PDA

View Full Version : rough OP experiment

Dyin
07-20-2003, 07:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/19147-fruit_float.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/19147-Cnv0126.jpg

ha ha...did this with OLIVE OIL :D didn't have any of those durn lin seeds around:p anyways...this is from life:eek: got some black plums and black cherries today...stuck a wired wrinkley leaf on there from one of my houseplants....the top one is true color...the oil did some interesting things...but it looked best when you just used 2 colors....I laid down blue and then added a purple/red color....looked sharp then but had to play more...so added other colors and mixed a lot...got a bit muddy and dark...
so wiped back....this was one giant MESSY project...a half hour to do...made a mess of the OPs, the table, me and my WHITE PANTS:mad: Note also that it was 108 outside and 89 inside...the AC couldn't keep up today...but it was fun to play...there's some interesting possibilities for backgrounds...also note that it was heavy watercolor stock, no bleed thru of oil and it's about 4x4 inches...

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Yay, Dyin, you're playing! And it's loose!

Now to the Olive Oil - making salad are we? :D :evil: :angel:

Dyin
07-20-2003, 09:13 PM
yeah...fruit salad:evil:
anyways....went back and rubbed top layer off background and plum...overlaid some reg OP, did some scratching...all in all just think everything is darker....in fact could see it darkening as it sat there after I posted...you know, that could have happened with the W&N too...I was doing dark colors so wouldn't know...so far I like them fresh...the oil reminds me of the problems I had with acrylics darkening...hope you post the results of what you did with your ruined paper today...this is awful but posted anyways so y'all could see the diff. No question that THIS one ended in the trash

MKathleen
07-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi Dyin:
:eek:Yikes white pants+oil pastel+olive oil! The things we ruin for our art sake--Never did figure out how to get oil pastel totally out of clothing--turps just seem to snear it further. I enjoyed your experiment and thank you for sharing!
Best,
Kathy:)

Dyin
07-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Yep...definately an experiment gone bad lol! Try rubbing a little Dawn dishwashing liquid into the stain...I've had luck so far with that...not sure about on the white pants tho....
also tried a resist with water...didn't work at all...oh well....

rd2ruin
07-21-2003, 01:59 PM
No such thing as a bad experiment, unless it results in some sort of bodily harm. :)

Since I started pastels, I found that finding a good local thrift store invaulable. Who cares if they're 10 years out of style. If they fit, you can't beat a $2 pair of pants for painting or pastelling in! Lord knows, no one makes more of a mess then themselves than I. I always need a shower after a good two hours of pastelling. :D

Keep experimenting. I dont know much about oils, so I can't give you a list of bad experiments I've had, but here are some of the one's I've done with chalks.

- Dipping the pastel in water as I go. Sounds nice, but a maintenance nightmare.
- Heating a pastel in a microwave, just to see how it applied. It applies like working with a superheated pastel in your hand. It applied a blue blister on my finger. (bad experiment)
- Presoaked canvas in water, to apply on a damp surface. I left it an hour to dry on the line and it promptly rolled up and became unusable.
- Pastelling outside on a windy day. It flew down the street, and it got ran over. You can't fix a tire track in the middle of a picture.

But I learn, and you will too. I find the experimenting as fun as the drawing.

Cheers!
- Greg

Dyin
07-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Greg...ROFLMAO....especially the superheated pastel one LOL!!! Yeah...thank our lucky stars that we aren't electricians!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh...enjoyed it thoroughly...it certainly puts it in the right perspective!!!!!!

Sue