PDA

View Full Version : Live Paint Along Aug 11 to Sep 1-Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2012/135220-PromoPaintAlongAug2012.jpg

After two very successful paint along courses, we wish to announce another paint along with Johannes Vloothuis, who has been our art instructor for thousands of students worldwide. They call the Paint Along courses the best ever and their results have been phenomenal. You can join them too. Follow Johannes'' steps in a relaxed non formal studio environment, in a 6 hour marathon during 4 Saturdays from August 11 to September 1. He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want, paint along as well during a live video feed. Because of the lengthy duration of the class you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry everything will be recorded so you miss nothing. Two demos is oils. One demo in watercolor and another in pastels. 24 hours of live instruction and high quality recordings for only $19.99

TIME: 1:00 to 7:00 PM EST.
DATES: 4 Saturdays: August 11 to September 1
Fee: $19.99

Requirements: High speed internet (aprox. 1.5 MB download speed). An optional $3.99 USD may be required to remove commercial interruptions on UStream. This feature is currently not compatible with iOS or the Ustream Android app.
To register:
http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis/?lid=wclivesaar080112

mickisew
08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered - Note - Student access page shows August 4 for four weeks instead of August 11.

Thanks Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
08-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Please take note that I have changed my mind about the reference photo for August 11 paint along. You can see the new one in the Student Access page.

gourdalicious
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Please take note that I have changed my mind about the reference photo for August 11 paint along. You can see the new one in the Student Access page.

Thanks for the heads up. This one is gorgeous!

hewill4giveu
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Joe where is the student access is this after we sign up for the coarse? May we ask what subject matter is.

gourdalicious
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Joe where is the student access is this after we sign up for the coarse? May we ask what subject matter is.
I forgot the first time, got totally into the subject on the 2nd time and finally!!!! on the third time remembered to bookmark the"student access to live web" link. LOL.... Anyhow, when you get your confirmation email .....BOOKMARK the link to the student access page. If you don't you have to go back and do the confirmation thing again.

paintncook
08-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I forgot the first time, got totally into the subject on the 2nd time and finally!!!! on the third time remembered to bookmark the"student access to live web" link. LOL.... Anyhow, when you get your confirmation email .....BOOKMARK the link to the student access page. If you don't you have to go back and do the confirmation thing again.

Right! I had to do the whole confirmation thing again to access the new photo reference. I wonder why Johannes changed his mind. I rather liked the first photo he picked.

chalet_dor
08-06-2012, 02:53 AM

Looks very difficult! I think that is my blood in the water :wink2:
Smiles to you and everyone else in the class!

spudsmom
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Jo,

I have a quick question about Sat's picture. You state that we should prime our canvas with 50% burnt sienna and 50% cad orange. Do you mean the prime mixture should be made with a 50 /50 mixture? I'm new at all of this and trying to make sure I do things correctly.

I love this picture!

Thanks,
Sherri

paintncook
08-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Looks very difficult! I think that is my blood in the water :wink2:
Smiles to you and everyone else in the class!
Me too! I was looking forward to the FIRST photo reference, this one, not so much! I tend to get confused with too many water flow directions. I tried a complicated waterfall once and gave up, I was so confused.:confused: It was Iguazu falls, a group of falls that must be seen to be believed - makes Niagra look like a dribble. I think I was trying too hard to copy my photograph. Maybe I'll learn something from Jo on how to handle something like this - anxious to see what he does with it. Kathy

Johannes Instructor
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Jo,

I have a quick question about Sat's picture. You state that we should prime our canvas with 50% burnt sienna and 50% cad orange. Do you mean the prime mixture should be made with a 50 /50 mixture? I'm new at all of this and trying to make sure I do things correctly.

I love this picture!

Thanks,
Sherri
Yes I need it to glow more than the grayed down version of just burnt sienna.

Johannes Instructor
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Me too! I was looking forward to the FIRST photo reference, this one, not so much! I tend to get confused with too many water flow directions. I tried a complicated waterfall once and gave up, I was so confused.:confused: It was Iguazu falls, a group of falls that must be seen to be believed - makes Niagra look like a dribble. I think I was trying too hard to copy my photograph. Maybe I'll learn something from Jo on how to handle something like this - anxious to see what he does with it. Kathy
I am going to show you a real neat impressionist technique. You will be happy with what you learn.

Rosemarie
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Johannes - any pointers for us not painting in oils?

Johannes Instructor
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Johannes - any pointers for us not painting in oils?You can use pastel pencils to achieve a similar effect to what i will be doing.

Rosemarie
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Johannes! I have looked at the photo several times and I like it very much. Is it one of yours?

distantriver
08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm ashamed to say I can get into the chat room using the new password, but can't find the student access page. Help me, please.

paintncook
08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm ashamed to say I can get into the chat room using the new password, but can't find the student access page. Help me, please.
You can go into your account with Northlight and re-register and they will give you the link. Be sure to Bookmark it for use later.

distantriver
08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Have done. Well, I can always paint blind if necessary.

Sgourlayart
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Have done. Well, I can always paint blind if necessary.I just save the page on my desktop while the courses are going on and then trash it; easier than painting blind or looking back through all the Emails (IMO, finding an old Email is WORSE than painting blind!). Stu

chalet_dor
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi Stu

So true! : ))

Sgourlayart
08-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Stu

So true! : ))Hi back Dor! All signed up and ready to paint along. Stu

gourdalicious
08-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Session 2 watercolor ref. photos look real interesting too. We have moody sky, dock, buildings, fishing equipment and rocks.....who could ask for anything more???
Thank you Jo for another challenge!

distantriver
08-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I just save the page on my desktop while the courses are going on and then trash it; easier than painting blind or looking back through all the Emails (IMO, finding an old Email is WORSE than painting blind!). Stu

I agree, Stu. My email box looks like a rabbit warren, easy if you know, agony if you don't.:)

Jacdesusbielle
08-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi everyone,
Is there a drawing somewhere for next saturday paint along ?

Rosemarie
08-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Have you checked the the special page with the photos? It is there Johannes put the drawings too.

Jacdesusbielle
08-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Thank you Rosemarie. I never had problem finding the drawings, but this time looks different, I don't know why .... Where is the special page with the photos ?

Tonalist
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Drawings?... Johannes access page shows photos but not any drawings..
am I missing something somewhere?

woody

Rosemarie
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Yes, there is a special page. You will get it when you confirm your registration for the Paint Along on NorthLight. Go back to NorthLight and view your last order. You will see the text about confirmation in bold red.

Jacdesusbielle
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I found the spécial page on registering for the third time, photos for the two cessions but no drawing at all .... Is there another place ?

Sgourlayart
08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I found the spécial page on registering for the third time, photos for the two cessions but no drawing at all .... Is there another place ?Johannes usually posts the drawing a day or two before the painting session; it is always on the same page with the reference photos. Keep checking that page. Stu

Jacdesusbielle
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Thank you Stu. It seems that Jo did not post the drawing yet.

nougat
08-09-2012, 10:03 AM
aren't we getting an email with the link this time??

Rosemarie
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Didn't you get the page when you registered?

nancysue10
08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I'll start by saying I am new so this may sound dumb....I toned my canvas with the cad orange and burnt sienna and turp, never saw any person with that color of skin....did I do something wrong? I put it on left it a while then rubbed it with a cloth. It is quite orange.
Also wondering if anyone has found the drawings for these classes? Cannot imagine trying to draw this just looking at the picture...wish I was that talented, but know that I am not. Thanks

Sgourlayart
08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I'll start by saying I am new so this may sound dumb....I toned my canvas with the cad orange and burnt sienna and turp, never saw any person with that color of skin....did I do something wrong? I put it on left it a while then rubbed it with a cloth. It is quite orange.
Also wondering if anyone has found the drawings for these classes? Cannot imagine trying to draw this just looking at the picture...wish I was that talented, but know that I am not. ThanksNancy, Johannes was referring to the value, not the hue. To quickly illustrate this, shoot a digital photo of your arm or hand and then of the canvas that you have toned in the same lighting and load the images into your photo editor and change them to black and white. If your skin and the canvas are the same on a grayscale, you nailed it. Another quick and dirty way to do it is to squint at your hand on or next to the canvas you are toning and see if they are about the same value. Johannes has a lot of material on values and gray scale in his initial online course, "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photographs" (downloadable in sets of 2 lessons at a time--out of 24--on his website www.improvemypaintings.com (http://www.improvemypaintings.com) ); this will really explain it for you. The toning is used to unify the painting by showing through in areas (instead of white), but needs to be a fairly light value (about a 3 out of 10 on his scale with pure white a 1 and pure black a 10). I hope I have not confused you with this. He basically is looking for a warm orange glow in the painting which is near sunset or sunrise. The easiest way to adjust your toning is to apply it to the whole canvas with a little mineral spirits for oils or water for acrylics and wipe it back with a paper towel or rag until you get the right tone. It does not have to be perfect it is just undertoning or "imprimateur" and makes it easier on the eyes to apply your underpainting. You will put in your drawing on top of the toned canvas with either paint on a small brush or with pastel pencils. Stu

paintncook
08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
[quote=nancysue10
Also wondering if anyone has found the drawings for these classes? Cannot imagine trying to draw this just looking at the picture...wish I was that talented, but know that I am not. Thanks[/quote]

The drawings have not been posted yet, as far as I know. I would keep checking back on the link he has for the photos as that is where he will be posting the drawings when ready. Don't worry, Johannes will be posting drawings from the photos as soon as he is ready to do so. Kathy

mickisew
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
The drawings have not been posted yet, as far as I know. I would keep checking back on the link he has for the photos as that is where he will be posting the drawings when ready. Don't worry, Johannes will be posting drawings from the photos as soon as he is ready to do so. Kathy

Kathy - Just checked and the drawing for this Saturday is on the student access page.

nancysue10
08-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Thank you so much! I think I finally understand what the difference is. Very good information!

nancysue10
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
One more tiny question....got the paints he uses but what kind of a palette is best for oils? I have only done watercolors. Is it best to have something grey in color or white? Plastic or paper? Oh got the drawing! So excited!
Thanks all.

mickisew
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Nancy - Welcome to our group. Ask questions any time. I work in oil and acrylic and have a wooden palette for all my oil hues. Why? I put this palette in a Masterson box and store it in the freezer between painting sessions. In addition, I have several glass palettes that I use while painting which I have toned mid-value gray on the back side. Some prefer to use a disposable palette. It is whatever you are comfortable using while you paint.

Hope this info helps.

Micki

nougat
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Didn't you get the page when you registered?

i got an email from northlightshop and to get from that to the access page i have to register again...

usually johannes would send us an email with the link...

sherrysherman
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I have now started a thread for comments and questions and paintings relating specifically to the first session of the new Paintalong course, beginning Aug 11.

Johannes has not yet (to my knowledge) sent emails for the student access page. If you haven't figured it out or can't find an email from Joe, here is how to get to the student access page:

1. Register for the Paintalong course - which is only $19.99 for all four sessions, a rather incredible bargain.

2. After you submit your payment, you will automatically go to a confirmation page from NorthLight. Near the bottom of the confirmation are instructions that say, "To complete your registration, please visit..." with a link to a gotomeeting registration page. Complete that page, with your name, address, and email address. Submit it. You MUST complete this second registration to get onto Joe's email list for the class!

Note: If you do not do this from the NorthLight confirmation page, you will have another chance. You will receive a confirmation email from NorthLightShop. At the bottom of that email is a link to the gotomeeting confirmation page.

3. After you submit the gotomeeting reg page, you will automatically be sent to a gotomeeting confirmation page. Do not close this page immediately. Instead, wait for a few seconds, and you will automatically get redirected to the student access page (alternatively, there is a link near the bottom you can click on to get there). Joe posts the ref photos and his drawings on this page, also the download links of the sessions, so you will return to it often. It is also a good idea to READ this page, as it has useful info on it.

You should bookmark the student access page. This page shows the password so do not post a link to it, here or anywhere.

Hope that was useful - especially to any newcomers to the paintalongs and the process! :wave:

nancysue10
08-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks Micki,
Will check out a couple of options. The freezer idea maked good sense to me, hate to waste anything...LOL Appreciate your kindness.
Nancy

paintncook
08-09-2012, 05:35 PM
i got an email from northlightshop and to get from that to the access page i have to register again...

Nougat, I bookmarked that link finally, after having to re-register every time to access any updates. Now the drawing for Sat. is up, plus a couple of more photos since I last checked it. The Sept 1, Pastel painting ref photo looks very interesting too. Kathy

Johannes Instructor
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Also wondering if anyone has found the drawings for these classes? Cannot imagine trying to draw this just looking at the picture...wish I was that talented, but know that I am not. Thanks
It is alright to tone a canvas with oils as well. Preferably you let it dry before working on it but it is not a must. It's just that the more layers you add the more difficult it will be to get the paint to stick. I had mentioned that the "Value" should be the same as a caucasian not the actual color.

Johannes Instructor
08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
One more tiny question....got the paints he uses but what kind of a palette is best for oils? I have only done watercolors. Is it best to have something grey in color or white? Plastic or paper? Oh got the drawing! So excited!
Thanks all.
My palette is here:
http://improvemypaintings.com/palette.html

Johannes Instructor
08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

As always Sherry answers perfectly. I bet she is one heck of a good lawyer.

mickisew
08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Johannes: You posted in the August 11 thread:

I accept ideas for the 4th painting. What theme would you like. Type now or forever hold your piece (spelled this way on purpose).

Being in Florida, I would like something tropical. However, that may not appeal to the majority. The photo you posted and replaced for week one is an option; or, how about something from Mexico - that would be a change of flavor. I know you are holding off on a seascape and a still life for the webinar sessions.

Whatever you decide is fine with me. I am here to learn.

Micki

Sgourlayart
08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks all.NancySue, if you have not purchased a palette, just pick up a disposable paper palette from any art store; they are easy, will work for oils or acrylics, and can be put in a plastic lidded container for storage in the refrigerator. The investment is minimal and the cleanup is super easy. As Micki says, "Welcome". Johannes goes through things fairly slowly and will explain it as he goes along. These paintalongs are quite enjoyable. Stu

sannew
08-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Johannes, I have a question. The paintings done from your paint-a-longs, are they considered ours and if so, can we sell them if we so choose?

Johannes Instructor
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Johannes, I have a question. The paintings done from your paint-a-longs, are they considered ours and if so, can we sell them if we so choose?
Yes, that's fine. This way you can recover costs.

Johannes Instructor
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
NancySue, if you have not purchased a palette, just pick up a disposable paper palette from any art store; they are easy, will work for oils or acrylics, and can be put in a plastic lidded container for storage in the refrigerator. The investment is minimal and the cleanup is super easy. As Micki says, "Welcome". Johannes goes through things fairly slowly and will explain it as he goes along. These paintalongs are quite enjoyable. Stu
The Stay Wet acrylics box is 12 X 16 inches. It has a lid. I put a value 5 gray platform under non reflective glass. Make sure the correct side of the glass shows is exposed. Ask the person who sells you the glass to tell you why and which side is the correct one. Then I seal the gap between the glass and
the plastic box with caulking.

nougat
08-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Johannes: You posted in the August 11 thread:

I accept ideas for the 4th painting. What theme would you like. Type now or forever hold your piece (spelled this way on purpose).

Being in Florida, I would like something tropical. However, that may not appeal to the majority. The photo you posted and replaced for week one is an option; or, how about something from Mexico - that would be a change of flavor. I know you are holding off on a seascape and a still life for the webinar sessions.

Whatever you decide is fine with me. I am here to learn.

Micki

great ideas micki
i too would like some 'warm climate' scenes.

Rosemarie
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Usually Johannes:wave: would send us an email with the link...

Yes, but you can register once again. I had too as I forgot to bookmark the page. Only nuisance might be that if Johannes do email us we might get two emails instead of one. "See" you on Saturday!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

gourdalicious
08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Yes, but you can register once again. I had too as I forgot to bookmark the page. Only nuisance might be that if Johannes do email us we might get two emails instead of one. "See" you on Saturday!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

I forgot to bookmark also;) ....I reregistered and the student ID # is the same on the confirmation pages so they are not counting us twice or charging twice. Just re register and Bookmark and you'll be good to go for tomorrow.

nancysue10
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I have the paint, palette, brushes and Turpenoid. Wondering if there are any other supplies I need? Canvas toned....will try to draw the picture with aid of lined drawing. Do you usually draw the lines on the canvas in order to get the correct perspective?
Thanks so much for your assistance!
Nancy

chalet_dor
08-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I have the paint, palette, brushes and Turpenoid. Wondering if there are any other supplies I need? Canvas toned....will try to draw the picture with aid of lined drawing. Do you usually draw the lines on the canvas in order to get the correct perspective?
Nancy

Hi Nancy I am a beginning Artist:wink2: I always draw the image on my canvas prior to the painting class.

Make sure you have some paper towels or old rags handy..........Happy Painting to you and smiles coming your way. See you tomorrow.......dor:))

“Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.” Oscar Wilde

Sil in LI
08-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi guys, i am looking forward to tomorrow. Just reading your posts teach me a lot. My name is Silvia aka Sil and the screen name is Sil in Li. I have followed you on the past paint along, I think I'm ready but will be painting with acrylics!
Sil

Sonni
08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Southwest scenes? Bueno. Hope it happens in Sept as I'll be gone for this one--in the southwest.

PETE K
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm not very happy..........I had to pay twice my 19.95. last week now today to get in. thats not right at all. I had the other pic that we were going to paint. I did everything. I will not post the numbers for the webinar on my first confirmation incase it means something. but than it didn't help me.
How do I get one of them back? or can I?

paintncook
08-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I prefer street scenes that depict old buildings, such as Tuscany, small villages in France, England, Mexico.
Southwest desert scenes also. For a change, scenes without pine trees and snow.

gourdalicious
08-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm not very happy..........I had to pay twice my 19.95. last week now today to get in. thats not right at all. I had the other pic that we were going to paint. I did everything. I will not post the numbers for the webinar on my first confirmation incase it means something. but than it didn't help me.
You should not have had to pay twice....just "register" again. However, now that you have pd again...... Hopefully you have both confirmation emails and both invoice numbers. On your confirmation email there is a link to cancel if you cannot attend. Do that for one of them and also please go to their website and follow the contact info explaining your issue and giving them both invoice Numbers, incl being clear about which one you are utilizing & which one you canceled. I have not had any issue with NL as long as I am very specific about the details of the transactions. Some people have had problems so be friendly, firm and persistent. Good Luck, will look for you on the chat.

mickisew
08-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Nancy

Hi Nancy: Liquin is good to have on hand - good to mix with white to quicken the drying time. Personally, I do not like the smell of under-painting white. However, I do not think there will be much white used in this painting. Liquin is also good for thinning paints. You can also do that with clean turpenoid. I am still learning, so it is what works best for the individual.

As for the reference lines, I do put the grid lines on my canvas in the event I lose the drawing during the painting process. Depending on your drawing tool, you can use fixative (hair spray works) to set the drawing. Jo usually uses a neutral pastel pencil for the drawing - no fixative. This painting is not as detailed as some in the past sessions, so "fixing" the drawing is not that great an issue.

See you tomorrow!

Micki

mickisew
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi guys, i am looking forward to tomorrow. Just reading your posts teach me a lot. My name is Silvia aka Sil and the screen name is Sil in Li. I have followed you on the past paint along, I think I'm ready but will be painting with acrylics!
Sil

Welcome Silva (officially). I know you will enjoy painting with us instead of following along. Painting along, I find I am making better choices as I paint and am speeding up. I am just looking forward to the day when I finish along with Jo. With practice and Johannes teaching, I am hopeful. :)

Micki

dartistflame
08-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Why is it so difficult this time? I registered. Did the go to meeting thing, got the password.....but got no pictures at all and don't know what to do from here. I don't even have the reference photos and can't find the student page.

mickisew
08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Why is it so difficult this time? I registered. Did the go to meeting thing, got the password.....but got no pictures at all and don't know what to do from here. I don't even have the reference photos and can't find the student page.

See post #42 in this thread by Sherry - should answer all your questions.

pamshowcase
08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I did that once by mistake so I sent an email with the order numbers and they did issue a refund, Try that and be happy, Pam

Johannes Instructor
08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Scroll down on that page.

cmedford
08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I am so sorry that I won't be painting this one live. Happy to have my grandchildren visiting, but will miss being with you all. At least I'll get the recording and can paint it during the week. Happy painting all ! :)

cmedford
08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Dartistflame: Go back to your confirmation email and try re-registering -- i.e., click on the link in the email that indicates you have to complete the registration. I lost track of the password, so that's what I did. As soon as I put my info in, it told me I was already registered, and it took me to the student page (where I could see the password and the photos that are posted. The drawing is out there for tomorrow too. Happy painting.

nougat
08-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I just save the page on my desktop while the courses are going on and then trash it; easier than painting blind or looking back through all the Emails (IMO, finding an old Email is WORSE than painting blind!). Stu

if you use IE you can search for an email by typing in the name of the sender.
this shortens the list you have to look through.

nougat
08-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Dartistflame: Go back to your confirmation email and try re-registering -- i.e., click on the link in the email that indicates you have to complete the registration. I lost track of the password, so that's what I did. As soon as I put my info in, it told me I was already registered, and it took me to the student page (where I could see the password and the photos that are posted. The drawing is out there for tomorrow too. Happy painting.

and BOOKMARK/FAVOURITE the page - and errrr REMEMBER where you saved it :)
i had to go through the bookmarks/faves of 3 browsers before i found it..sigh..:)

JoannArnold61
08-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't seem to find the live class. I've registered. I paid the fee, but for some reason I'm not finding the right key to punch to get there. Help!

chalet_dor
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
http://improvemypaintings.com/

It is always there.............: ))

JoannArnold61
08-11-2012, 04:17 PM
thank you for your help.

JoannArnold61
08-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Once I re-registered, it took me to the page where it told me I had already registered but it didn't take me to the student page.

chalet_dor
08-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I believe you needed to scroll down.........: ))

Sil in LI
08-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I hope that I can navigate all of this. I enjoyed today's class as usual and learned a lot. I could not followed Jo because he was painting too fast for me. I will continue painting and see what happens. He is the Best of the Best teacher I have ever had. I was always told to experiment but no "nuggets". I will start buying his landscape series. had no problems today with the video or audio.

mickisew
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I hope that I can navigate all of this. I enjoyed today's class as usual and learned a lot. I could not followed Jo because he was painting too fast for me. I will continue painting and see what happens. He is the Best of the Best teacher I have ever had. I was always told to experiment but no "nuggets". I will start buying his landscape series. had no problems today with the video or audio.

Yes, Johannes does move the brush! I have yet to keep pace with him. However, you will find that you do start to paint faster as time progresses. Sometimes I will get stuck in an area and either stop and watch or I will continue on and listen. The raw video will be available in a couple of days at which time you have the advantage of pausing, rewind, etc. Also, Jo will post the photo of his finished painting (I hope several photos of the changes) very soon. This is great reference to continue with your work.

Micki

painteriam
08-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Wow! Yesterday's class was a humbling experience. Fast changes with materials that I did not have at my fingertips as we started. I scrambled for the first couple of hours and when I thought I finally caught up---green showed up. A fun time, and I believe a successful painting will eventually emerge, but it felt like a scramble to the finish. A more important point is that out of all that discomfort, I learned much.

mickisew
08-12-2012, 11:18 AM
For the newbies, Johannes was a little fast yesterday, and usually we take a couple of breaks to catch up. I, too, did not get out acrylics to save time and went with oils. Even still, I did not get past a block in. It was better for me at that point to watch and listen. Fortunately, the video will be available in a couple of days for reference.

Micki

Olva2
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I kept up pretty good until just before the green. At that point I stopped painting and decided to wait on the video to finish. I couldn't make myself cover what I had painted - I liked some of it.
I loved that it was speedy. I struggled to keep up but it kept me from piddling!

Olva

chalet_dor
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I flunked completely! Since I use WMOils I took my canvas and washed of the paint and will try again when I get the videos.........dor:))

Sil in LI
08-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I re started the painting (the water fall and painted it the orange glow. I now have a real mess. By the way,what are WMOils?

Sil in LI
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
How do I quote the message I am reponding too? Is my computer or is the something else. I click on the place that says "quote..." and nothing happens, Thank you for any help

chalet_dor
08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
How do I quote the message I am reponding too? Is my computer or is the something else. I click on the place that says "quote..." and nothing happens, Thank you for any help

When I click on quote and wait another smaller window opens where I can type in my reply to you (Your quote is there). Don't know why it is not working for you may be a temporary problem.........dor:))

chalet_dor
08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I re started the painting (the water fall and painted it the orange glow. I now have a real mess. By the way,what are WMOils?

WMOils............. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206062&highlight=water+mixable

Lots of information on Google Search. Many different brands......... Water soluable oils.......... or water mixable oils.........they clean up with soap and water, use water soluable thinner and or water soluable linseed oil, for thinning...........I love them........dor:)P)

spudsmom
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
For the newbies, Johannes was a little fast yesterday, and usually we take a couple of breaks to catch up. I, too, did not get out acrylics to save time and went with oils. Even still, I did not get past a block in. It was better for me at that point to watch and listen. Fortunately, the video will be available in a couple of days for reference.

Micki

I agree about the pace on Saturday, Micki. It seemed faster than normal and you are right about the lack of breaks. I had to search the house for the right acrylics which made me miss the entire sky portion. The good thing is that I continued painting and did my own thing in the sky when I came back to it at the end.

I don't know how everyone keeps up with Jo, but I have found the more I try the better I'm getting at it!

Sherri

primadonnaart
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree about the pace on Saturday, Micki. It seemed faster than normal and you are right about the lack of breaks. I had to search the house for the right acrylics which made me miss the entire sky portion. The good thing is that I continued painting and did my own thing in the sky when I came back to it at the end.

I don't know how everyone keeps up with Jo, but I have found the more I try the better I'm getting at it!

Sherri

I too had a hard time keeping up. Barely finished the block-in and then sat back and watched and took notes. Next time I will use a smaller canvas than 16x20. Donna

mudfish
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Is it too late to sign up? Saturdays aren't good but if there are videos to review that will work.....

cajunRice
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
It's not too late! Sign up and you will be able to download Sat's paintalong in a day or two when Jo puts it up.
Ginger

sherrysherman
08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Joe asked the following:

What scene or theme would you like to see for the 4th paintalong sessiion?

Here are some answers that have been posted:
- Street scene with a few people or cars as well as buildings. (several people supported this, with variations including wet weather, at night, people, awnings, and so on)
- Street scene with old buildings (e.g. Tuscany) or small villages in England, France, Mexico.
- Rolling hills, farms in the distance, wood scenes.
- Southwestern scenes.
- A "mission" somewhere like Clyde Afsary.
- Coastal scene/ seascape.
- Harbors with boats and reflections.
- Something tropical (e.g., Florida or Mexico).

So it sounds like we want a harbor in a tropical climate with boats, near the coast, sea in the background on one side, with a wet mission on the land, with people and cars driving around, some southwestern hills in the background on the land side (I suppose behind the palm trees), with parts of the land irrigated for farms. :rolleyes:

If you have some suggestions or preferences, please post them. Joe welcomes your ideas, and always has something for us to learn. In fact, IMO, learning how to apply the basic nuggets in many different types of scenes really expands my understanding of them.

chalet_dor
08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
So it sounds like we want a harbor in a tropical climate with boats, near the coast, sea in the background on one side, with a wet mission on the land, with people and cars driving around, some southwestern hills in the background on the land side (I suppose behind the palm trees), with parts of the land irrigated for farms. :rolleyes:

So funny :clear: LOL

spudsmom
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Good one Sherry! You made me laugh!

We all know Jo can find just such a reference pix!:lol:

Sherri

sherrysherman
08-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Good one Sherry! You made me laugh!

We all know Jo can find just such a reference pix!:lol:

Sherri

Well, we all know Joe is great at combining photos. Usually it's two or three, but how different can it be, combining a dozen or so? :wink2:

paintncook
08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Well, we all know Joe is great at combining photos. Usually it's two or three, but how different can it be, combining a dozen or so? :wink2:
I just foresee enough subject matter, with lots of variety, to last the rest of the year.

Johannes Instructor
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I just foresee enough subject matter, with lots of variety, to last the rest of the year.
You mean we can do paintings on cities and towns like this one I just completed today?

Prague
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2012/135220-Prague.jpg

gourdalicious
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Good comeback Jo! and beautiful painting. I live in a rural area, but there is so much life (& architecture) in the urban areas just begging to be painted. Thank you for posting!

Sgourlayart
08-15-2012, 09:40 PM
You mean we can do paintings on cities and towns like this one I just completed today?

Prague
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2012/135220-Prague.jpgYEAH! Stu

chalet_dor
08-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Prague

So beautiful..........Yes, this one Joe. We can dream can't we?:wink2:

Sil in LI
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
next Saturday I will be using acrylics again. Should I be toning the canvas ?

Johannes Instructor
08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
next Saturday I will be using acrylics again. Should I be toning the canvas ?
If you feel comfortable working on a toned canvas sure. but this time only tone it with burnt sienna.

spudsmom
08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Jo- Beautiful painting!

love the colors in it!

Sherri

mickisew
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
[quote=Johannes Instructor]You mean we can do paintings on cities and towns like this one I just completed today?

Prague

This is an exceptional piece of work, Johannes. Seeing your paintings inspires one to continue learning and practicing. Although I may never exhibit a painting, I enjoy the process. Micki

desthers
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Love the composit for Aug 18, getting my paper ready.

Improv
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Although I may never exhibit a painting, I enjoy the process. Micki

My thoughts exactly, Micki-it's the journey that counts! :clap:

Cheers

Doug

Sil in LI
08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
If you feel comfortable working on a toned canvas sure. but this time only tone it with burnt sienna.

Thank your for the input. I love your Prague painting. For the fourth painting, I will do whatever you choose. The more I do the more I learn.. Thank you again.

AmberLynn
08-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Prague
Jo, this painting is so beautiful-love the scene and colors!

paintncook
08-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Darn it! I have to work Saturday so will miss the paintalong in MY medium. Next week I'll be in Sedona so won't be able to paint by video either til I get back. I sure hope I get some good Sedona photos for painting reference at least. Johannes said some mean spirited busy-body chased him off when he tried to do some plein air painting there. I'll just be taking photographs, but hope I don't meet up with someone like that! Kathy

Johannes Instructor
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2012/135220-Yellowstone_Hot_Springs.jpg

Pinklady219
08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
Prague
Joe, that painting is beautiful. Do you think you could take two Saturdays to do this painting? That would be so utterly lovely! Carol

chalet_dor
08-17-2012, 10:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2012/135220-Yellowstone_Hot_Springs.jpg

Please explain. I haven't a clue :confused:

gourdalicious
08-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Another great one. Beautiful.
I was reviewing photos for inspiration on Monday and considered several from Yellowstone. I really like this stump but was torn as to where to put it in the composition relative to a pool so it would not block the viewer from traveling into the painting. I'm thinking to the right somewhere but am open to suggestions. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2012/990382-sister_trip_disc_2_045_600x800.jpg

chalet_dor
08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Jo....I got it! Hot Springs......: ))

a_orion
08-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Jo, this painting is so beautiful-love the scene and colors!
Yes, I would like to know how to handle the busy-ness of a street scene/urban scene. Taking things out is a major consideration :)

Johannes Instructor
08-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Another great one. Beautiful.
I was reviewing photos for inspiration on Monday and considered several from Yellowstone. I really like this stump but was torn as to where to put it in the composition relative to a pool so it would not block the viewer from traveling into the painting. I'm thinking to the right somewhere but am open to suggestions. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2012/990382-sister_trip_disc_2_045_600x800.jpg
I wouldn't use this one. That tree trunk is in the way and the geyser pool is not noticeable.

Johannes Instructor
08-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes, I would like to know how to handle the busy-ness of a street scene/urban scene. Taking things out is a major consideration :)
By the latter part of your statement you have 50% solved. The idea is to just think in spots of color all out of focus.

gourdalicious
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't use this one. That tree trunk is in the way and the geyser pool is not noticeable.

:clear: Sorry I wasn't clear ! I have some good pool ref photos & wanted to use the stumps photo in addition to one of those (combo).
I was debating where, relative to a pool, to put the stumps. Lower right foreground (but not coming out of the bottom) so the gnarly/mossy would be more obvious or further into the background as interesting shapes, but not the detail, maybe emerging out of the mist.
Seeing your painting so soon after I was looking at my Yellowstone photos reminded me about the stumps.!:eek:
However, the temptation to clone would be pretty high wherever I put them so I'll forget them for now. Appreciate the comments as always.

mickisew
08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Maybe we could compromise on session 4 and paint a small town or rural area (farm) with a few people. Just a suggestion.

Sgourlayart
08-18-2012, 11:03 AM
By the latter part of your statement you have 50% solved. The idea is to just think in spots of color all out of focus.Johannes, if you are going to do one of those two street scenes you suggested for the 4th paintalong, why don't you illustrate this? I do not remember you putting any people in the scenes with buildings that you have done in any of your courses or the paintalongs. Stu

mickisew
08-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I have sent an email to Ustream regarding the issues many of our members had today. If anyone else would like to do the same, the URL is:

http://www.ustream.tv/support-ticket

chalet_dor
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank you very much, I believe my issues were do to the weather.........but I don't know.............again, thanks.............dor:))

nougat
08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
I have sent an email to Ustream regarding the issues many of our members had today. If anyone else would like to do the same, the URL is:

http://www.ustream.tv/support-ticketo

there are NUMBERS of members who have issues every week....
it really does need to be sorted out. my reception was very good yesterday. however that has not always been the case and i really feel for those of us who were eager to join in and were disappointed.

chalet_dor
08-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Hi Nougat
Way back when? I had terrible problems and they were fixed by my Internet Provider who gave me a faster connection when I agreed to pay for it. Up until yesterday all as been pretty good. Repeatedly the screen would go blank and no sound. Kicked to the curb!

You said that in the past you have had problems, did you change anything or did they just correct on their own?

Banner
08-19-2012, 06:37 AM
How about replacing the trees to the left with a stump as shown

distantriver
08-19-2012, 08:45 AM

I'm interested to see how Ustream responds, Micki. There were ~200 people, but over 1400 sign ins. That's a whole lot of dumping going on.

Johannes Instructor
08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Johannes, if you are going to do one of those two street scenes you suggested for the 4th paintalong, why don't you illustrate this? I do not remember you putting any people in the scenes with buildings that you have done in any of your courses or the paintalongs. Stu
Yes, that painting will have people in it.

mickisew
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm interested to see how Ustream responds, Micki. There were ~200 people, but over 1400 sign ins. That's a whole lot of dumping going on.

Ustream only responds during the workweek. I was not one having issues during the broadcast - a couple of Adobe Flash crashes, but that happens. However, I wanted to make an effort for those that did have issues. I am sure it will be a standard response on troubleshooting. If they did have issues, they will respond accordingly.

Not enough students come to Wet Canvas to read the posts or visit Jo's site; hence we have the same questions time after time.

As Johannes student and friend, all I can do is try.

Micki

Sil in LI
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Sent email to UStream. It was really awful yesterday, Before I only had minor problems. Thank you for the url

susanc
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I was having many computer problems and gave up on watching the class for a while. When I tried again later, Jo was working on a student's painting in oils. I was so excited to see the same image done that way, too. Then I had more computer problems and never found out if that oil demo will be included in the download? In any event, thanks, Jo--that added bonus managed to make a great class even better!

Sil in LI
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I was having many computer problems and gave up on watching the class for a while. When I tried again later, Jo was working on a student's painting in oils. I was so excited to see the same image done that way, too. Then I had more computer problems and never found out if that oil demo will be included in the download? In any event, thanks, Jo--that added bonus managed to make a great class even better!

Try sending a complaint to UStream. Too many people had troubles last Saturday
Sil

nougat
08-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Hi Nougat
Way back when? I had terrible problems and they were fixed by my Internet Provider who gave me a faster connection when I agreed to pay for it. Up until yesterday all as been pretty good. Repeatedly the screen would go blank and no sound. Kicked to the curb!

You said that in the past you have had problems, did you change anything or did they just correct on their own?

i had done everything suggested at my end...so i can only imagine that when the problems occur they are not from my pc but from some other source that i can do nothing about. these last couple of weeks it has been very good...

chalet_dor
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for replying.............and I am glad it has been good for you. Nothing we can do thought about the weather.......lots going on up in the sky............

mickisew
08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I have been communicating with Ustream for two days. Note, I was not one having the issues. I asked for a reply to post, and here it is:

EMPLOYEE
Max (Official Rep) 9 minutes ago
Micki,

It is difficult for me to help each user without writing to them individually. I encourage you to have your users post their specific issues. I can give you some general guidelines though:

-Check your bandwidth: http://www.unwiredltd.com/speedtest.php - for best results, the download bandwidth should be around 10

-Flash version- You can check your Flash version here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/k...

-We suggest using Firefox or Chrome.

-Turning off programs in the background is a good idea.

-Ethernet connectons are preferred to wireless (especially when the router is far away).

-Given that the number of issues you mention seems to be more than normal I would want to know if there have been any changes on the broadcaster's end?

TO CONTACT USTREAM, MY POSTS ARE AT: http://community.ustream.tv/ustream/topics/frustrating_issues_with_ustream_today?utm_content=reply_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification#reply_9815558

OR SUBMIT AN EMAIL AT http://www.ustream.tv/support-ticket

Micki

chalet_dor
08-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you very much Micki. I am glad to have this information.........dor:))
PS I just tried the Flash Player link and Oops it is incorrect......: ((

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
You guys are not going to believe this! FW just bought out their competition. The ones that publish the American Artist, American Artist Drawing magazine, American Artist Watercolor Magazine. They have just become two times bigger as far as their art magazines.
http://www.fwmedia.com/press-room/interweave

mickisew
08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you very much Micki. I am glad to have this information.........dor:))
PS I just tried the Flash Player link and Oops it is incorrect......: ((

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JOPDD

chalet_dor
08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks Micki : ))

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Johannes,
You stated while creating the sky that the problem with using cold press paper is that it doesn't accept a lot of washes/glazes. Is that due to it being cold press or is it due to the paper being 140lb and not 300lb? Or is it a bit of both?
I have enjoyed your lessons. Thank you.
Michael

The weight of the paper has nothing to do with how many layers it can take. Even though I have found that 300 lbs absorbs more. The rule of thumb is that is the more compressed the paper is the more it solidifies, thus absorbs less. In this case cold pressed paper does not retain the pigment as well as rough paper which is less compressed, therefore there are more microscopic bubbles that allow the pigment to seep in further.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of these paper:

1. Cold pressed
Advantages
Paintings end up with less of a grainy effect that becomes very emphasized when photographing. It has a more visually pleasant velvet look.
It is easier to remove paint in case of a correction.
Easier to use for very fine details.

Disadvantages
Some of the previous layer of paint will lift off when you glaze over.
More difficult to control wet on wet edges
Harder to create the dry brush effect.

Rough Paper
Advantages
Takes more layers of glazing.
Easier to control wet on wet to hold contours
Disadvantages
More difficult to spray off unwanted paint.
You can get some nice broken dry brush effects.

Considering all this you choose which paper to use. For example if you do have problems controlling wet paint on wet paper you may want to practice more with rough paper until you get better.
If you do a sky scene or a lake scene you will get a more smooth texture. Flowers will also look better on the velvet cold pressed finishing. If you wish to do foliage then probably
Rough paper is better so you can dry brush and get a leaf effect in some areas.

Rosemarie
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi guys! I am back from a Watercolour Landscape Workshop I have attended for 5 days. I didn't have any Internet connection being up in the middle part of Sweden. I which every one of you painting watercolours had been here. The artist Maria Ginzburg is such a good teacher and Johannes I think you would have approved because she did not hold back on golden nuggets. Maybe I was more aware of them after more then 18 month in your classes. I am happy to having been able to attend one of her classes as I have been a fan of hers for about 10 years.
This is one of here demo paintings and I which I could paint like her. Maybe I will if I practise more. :) To leave white is one of my biggest problems among all the the other :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2012/2623-DSCN1351.JPG

Sgourlayart
08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi guys! I am back from a Watercolour Landscape Workshop I have attended for 5 days. I didn't have any Internet connection being up in the middle part of Sweden. I which every one of you painting watercolours had been here. The artist Maria Ginzburg is such a good teacher and Johannes I think you would have approved because she did not hold back on golden nuggets. Maybe I was more aware of them after more then 18 month in your classes. I am happy to having been able to attend one of her classes as I have been a fan of hers for about 10 years.
This is one of here demo paintings and I which I could paint like her. Maybe I will if I practise more. :) To leave white is one of my biggest problems among all the the other :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2012/2623-DSCN1351.JPGNice painting and thanks for sharing. Please post one of your watercolors, maybe from the August 18th watercolor paintalong so we can all see if we like it even better that your instructor's painting. Stu

Rosemarie
08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
As I said I didn't have any Internet connection the 18th of august. I am still struggling with the 14 of July Paint along, in watercolours. I can't (today) beat her or Johannes' paintings, Stu. My plan is to paint in pastels tomorrow though I which I could stay for the whole 6 hours but the time difference makes it impossible.

paintncook
08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Johannes,
You stated while creating the sky that the problem with using cold press paper is that it doesn't accept a lot of washes/glazes. Is that due to it being cold press or is it due to the paper being 140lb and not 300lb? Or is it a bit of both?
I have enjoyed your lessons. Thank you.
Michael

The weight of the paper has nothing to do with how many layers it can take. Even though I have found that 300 lbs absorbs more. The rule of thumb is that is the more compressed the paper is the more it solidifies, thus absorbs less. In this case cold pressed paper does not retain the pigment as well as rough paper which is less compressed, therefore there are more microscopic bubbles that allow the pigment to seep in further.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of these paper:

1. Cold pressed
Advantages
Paintings end up with less of a grainy effect that becomes very emphasized when photographing. It has a more visually pleasant velvet look.
It is easier to remove paint in case of a correction.
Easier to use for very fine details.

Disadvantages
Some of the previous layer of paint will lift off when you glaze over.
More difficult to control wet on wet edges
Harder to create the dry brush effect.

Rough Paper
Advantages
Takes more layers of glazing.
Easier to control wet on wet to hold contours
Disadvantages
More difficult to spray off unwanted paint.
You can get some nice broken dry brush effects.

Considering all this you choose which paper to use. For example if you do have problems controlling wet paint on wet paper you may want to practice more with rough paper until you get better.
If you do a sky scene or a lake scene you will get a more smooth texture. Flowers will also look better on the velvet cold pressed finishing. If you wish to do foliage then probably
Rough paper is better so you can dry brush and get a leaf effect in some areas.
I think you accidentally put the ability to get nice dry brush effects with rough paper a disadvantage - I'd call it an advantage. I really llike rough paper, myself.

You say you get more washes with rough paper. I find the most important aspect being the QUALITY of the paper. Cheap paper most often results in a disaster as the paint won't flow, won't show its brilliance, washes may just sink into the paper and paint won't lift off, or can't be removed, etc. I knew of one instructor who went so far as dismissing any student who showed up with Strathmore paper - refusing to give instruction to any student with paper he felt could not be used to produce a decent painting. I find trying to work with substandard paper is a bigger problem than whether it is CP or Rough, whether it is 140 lb or 300 lb. I've used student grade paper at times to just fool around with, but I don't like it and don't think it is really worth it. When I see beginners showing up in art classes with cheap Strathmore paper, I feel they are starting out with several strikes against them and may even give up watercolor thinking they can't do it when it is really the paper they are trying to use. There are several brands I find I can use, Arches being my favorite. I also like Fabriano, Langton, Bockingford, and even Killimanjaro is OK. Forget about Strathmore and Canson - at least, I've never enjoyed using them. Kathy

Johannes Instructor
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I think you accidentally put the ability to get nice dry brush effects with rough paper a disadvantage - I'd call it an advantage. I really llike rough paper, myself.

You say you get more washes with rough paper. I find the most important aspect being the QUALITY of the paper. Cheap paper most often results in a disaster as the paint won't flow, won't show its brilliance, washes may just sink into the paper and paint won't lift off, or can't be removed, etc. I knew of one instructor who went so far as dismissing any student who showed up with Strathmore paper - refusing to give instruction to any student with paper he felt could not be used to produce a decent painting. I find trying to work with substandard paper is a bigger problem than whether it is CP or Rough, whether it is 140 lb or 300 lb. I've used student grade paper at times to just fool around with, but I don't like it and don't think it is really worth it. When I see beginners showing up in art classes with cheap Strathmore paper, I feel they are starting out with several strikes against them and may even give up watercolor thinking they can't do it when it is really the paper they are trying to use. There are several brands I find I can use, Arches being my favorite. I also like Fabriano, Langton, Bockingford, and even Killimanjaro is OK. Forget about Strathmore and Canson - at least, I've never enjoyed using them. Kathy
You are correct. The dry brushing capability was not supposed to go under disadvantages.

paintncook
08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
As I said I didn't have any Internet connection the 18th of august. I am still struggling with the 14 of July Paint along, in watercolours. I can't (today) beat her or Johannes' paintings, Stu. My plan is to paint in pastels tomorrow though I which I could stay for the whole 6 hours but the time difference makes it impossible.
For one reason or another I will be missing out on EVERY ONE of Johannes' demos this time out, but I bought it anyway. I'm going to have to do all the paintings via the videos.
BTW, what a stunning watercolor you did in your workshop. Now that's how a watercolor should look - bright and fresh! Wonderful job , congratulations!! Kathy

mickisew
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi Johannes: We don't have a thread for September 1 yet, so I will post here. The night scene is delightful. Where was the photo taken? It will be interesting to keep our values in line on this one. Hope you are having a good day. Micki

chalet_dor
08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like Burbon Street. Very apropos right now. dor on the Gulf Coast...............

Sgourlayart
08-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Looks like Burbon Street. Very apropos right now. dor on the Gulf Coast...............I agree on Borboun Street for the location, Dor...I even blew it up to try and read the street sign, but I could not make it out. I will be most interested in what Johannes does with the people. The buildings are pretty straight forward and most everything is a shade of a grayed purple or yellow. The multiple primary light sources (sky, incandescent and mercury vapor street lighting)will make it a little challenging. Stu

nougat
08-31-2012, 01:39 AM

you are quite right. buying the less expensive/student grades of watercolour supplies (paper, paint and brushes) is a false economy. unfortunately those just starting out don't know this and are often overwhelmed by the selection and unable to make an informed choice.

It would be VERY HELPFUL if we knew which brands and qualities are recommended by our instructors and fellow watercolourists.

mickisew
08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
you are quite right. buying the less expensive/student grades of watercolour supplies (paper, paint and brushes) is a false economy. unfortunately those just starting out don't know this and are often overwhelmed by the selection and unable to make an informed choice.

It would be VERY HELPFUL if we knew which brands and qualities are recommended by our instructors and fellow watercolourists.

I do not use water color as my media. Just for grins, I visited Blick and find they carry 17 different brands of WC artist-quality paint. I am sure if you were to query instructors and those using water color as their media you will find many different answers to which brand they prefer - and different reasons for their preference.

As noted at improvemypaintings.com, Jo prefers Winsor-Newton. Possibly other members of our group will read this thread and offer their opinion and the reason for their choice.

Micki

paintncook
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Nougat,
I couldn't agree more with your statement, "It would be VERY HELPFUL if we knew which brands and qualities are recommended by our instructors and fellow watercolourists."
I'm afraid propective watercolorists could get discouraged, thinking they can't paint, when it is really the materials they are using causing the difficulty. I've personally seen beginning artists struggling with bad paper and cheap paints. Of course, they wonder why they are having so much trouble and why their work doesn't look anything like the instructor's. It would be a kindness if their instructors would just advise them on what to avoid and what works to avoid frustrations that could discourage them from the medium. Kathy

Johannes Instructor
08-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Nougat,
I couldn't agree more with your statement, "It would be VERY HELPFUL if we knew which brands and qualities are recommended by our instructors and fellow watercolourists."
I'm afraid propective watercolorists could get discouraged, thinking they can't paint, when it is really the materials they are using causing the difficulty. I've personally seen beginning artists struggling with bad paper and cheap paints. Of course, they wonder why they are having so much trouble and why their work doesn't look anything like the instructor's. It would be a kindness if their instructors would just advise them on what to avoid and what works to avoid frustrations that could discourage them from the medium. Kathy
Your view in this regard is right on the money Kathy. The same applies to oils if they try to paint with student quality paints such as Winton. I will not work on a student's painting if done with Graham paints or Winton.

nougat
09-01-2012, 01:05 AM
but it would be way more useful to the student to know beforehand that some brands are just not acceptable or usable.

nougat
09-01-2012, 01:09 AM
exactly, kathy.

i was one of those struggling.
(when i struggle now, i have no excuse :D)

paintncook
09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
exactly, kathy.

i was one of those struggling.
(when i struggle now, i have no excuse :D)
I think some instructors don't want to embarrass their students by telling them they are having trouble because they are using cheap materials, but it would be doing them a big favor to let them know they can't paint with that stuff! Of course, Johannes only knows what his students in his studio are using and he lets them know if they aren't using the correct materials. I suppose he could make a list of paint and paper to avoid for those of us who are his online students. He has already let us know what oil paints to avoid. As far as wc paper goes, it is hard to tell by sight. Some of it looks OK until you try painting on it, lol. Brushes are easier to evaluate. Kathy

Monica1
09-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Johannes,
I understand Winton is the student grade, but when you said Graham paints, did you mean M.Graham artists watercolors or some other brand?

Graham got a great review on the handprint website as an artist quality paint.

Monica

Your view in this regard is right on the money Kathy. The same applies to oils if they try to paint with student quality paints such as Winton. I will not work on a student's painting if done with Graham paints or Winton.

Johannes Instructor
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi Johannes,
I understand Winton is the student grade, but when you said Graham paints, did you mean M.Graham artists watercolors or some other brand?

Graham got a great review on the handprint website as an artist quality paint.

Monica
Graham paints are too slippery and oily to allow for a second layer. The watercolors are ok but I don't like the runny pigments because I use the dried mounds of the other brands for better wet on wet.

mickisew
09-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Thank you for all the classes (Landscapes from Photos to present). I especially appreciate the paint-along sessions. As is noted with your in-studio students and those that post here in WC, we are progressing with your ever-patient instruction. Do not think for a New York second that we don't need you anymore, because we do! I surely will miss our time together and look forward to the next paint-along.

I know Ken will do an exceptional job on the up coming course, "Secrets of the Masters", and I believe you indicated he will instruct us on portrait painting.

Just a thought ... if you are still having your students on the weekend (I think you said Sunday), any chance you would just turn on the "stream"? There would be no questions in chat - just a classroom feeling on our end. I would even pay just to be part of the group.

I know you will be participating with Ken, and I know it will be an excellent learning experience.

Thank you - read the poem again - Micki

nougat
09-02-2012, 12:07 AM
i second everything that micki just said :)

no need for recording or editing - just post a pic of the finished painting :)

chalet_dor
09-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Ditto : ))

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Thank you for all the classes (Landscapes from Photos to present). I especially appreciate the paint-along sessions. As is noted with your in-studio students and those that post here in WC, we are progressing with your ever-patient instruction. Do not think for a New York second that we don't need you anymore, because we do! I surely will miss our time together and look forward to the next paint-along.

I know Ken will do an exceptional job on the up coming course, "Secrets of the Masters", and I believe you indicated he will instruct us on portrait painting.

Just a thought ... if you are still having your students on the weekend (I think you said Sunday), any chance you would just turn on the "stream"? There would be no questions in chat - just a classroom feeling on our end. I would even pay just to be part of the group.

I know you will be participating with Ken, and I know it will be an excellent learning experience.

Thank you - read the poem again - Micki
Maybe a bit down the road.

pamshowcase
09-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Did I read somewhere that Johannes Pan Pastel Set is out now????????
Pam

Rosemarie
09-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Did I read somewhere that Johannes Pan Pastel Set is out now????????
Pam
You heard it yesterday on the Paint Along. Go to North Light. I did and they are out for sale!

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
You heard it yesterday on the Paint Along. Go to North Light. I did and they are out for sale!
Yeah, Northlight negotiated a deal or should I say a hard driven bargain with the Pan Pastel company. The idea was to come up with a landscape set that is realistic and funcional by elimating colors that I do not think the set needs and would just create mud. Together with all the tools and everything you need they put the price under $300 dollars. If you were to buy these items separately it would add up to much more.

mickisew
09-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Can you give me the link?

https://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pan+pastel

nougat
09-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Maybe a bit down the road.

:) i guess you need a break from us :)

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
:) i guess you need a break from us :)Nougat, have you finished all the paintalongs and done all the homework for the courses? I sure have not. So I think we all need a breather for awhile; or at least most of us. There were 8 Sunday paintalongs and 8 Saturday paintalongs (I am counting the makeup and freebie classes); this is about 87 hours of video material (no video from the first freebie and only 3 and not 6 hours from the makeup). Jo's first class "Landscapes from Photos" was 24 2.5 hour classes or 60 hours of video material and tons of homework. His subsequent 8 classes of 2.5 hours over 3 to 6 weeks (buildings, trees, mountains, skies, water, waterfalls, grass & snow, and rocks) add up to 29 2.5 hour classes and over 72 hours of video material and again, lots of homework. My math calculation gives a grand total of 69 different classes with over 219 hours of video. All I can say to that is: "WOW, What a tour de force!" If I had even a quarter of that material really cemented in my brain and traveling out through my hands to my brush when I paint, my paintings should be awesome. So while we all take this breather and get a little academic training from Ken, Johannes can be planning his next courses and we can be going back over some of the stuff that we need more work on. Keep posting what you are doing; Jo should have more time for critiquing. Just my POV. I think Jo still has a lot more to offer most of us. I think the paintalongs have been awesome, but keeping up with Jo in them is tough. Stu

nougat
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
you're quite right that i am way behind with homework etc due to work obligations and am going to take this opportunity to do at least a little catch up.

i agree that we have hours and hours of lessons to digest (thanks for the maths) :)

i guess my comment was based on the fact that we (i) will miss the camaraderie that we all enjoyed with Joe and each other during the demos/paintalongs.

the smilies in my comment meant that it was light-hearted.

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Nougat, have you finished all the paintalongs and done all the homework for the courses? I sure have not. So I think we all need a breather for awhile; or at least most of us. There were 8 Sunday paintalongs and 8 Saturday paintalongs (I am counting the makeup and freebie classes); this is about 87 hours of video material (no video from the first freebie and only 3 and not 6 hours from the makeup). Jo's first class "Landscapes from Photos" was 24 2.5 hour classes or 60 hours of video material and tons of homework. His subsequent 8 classes of 2.5 hours over 3 to 6 weeks (buildings, trees, mountains, skies, water, waterfalls, grass & snow, and rocks) add up to 29 2.5 hour classes and over 72 hours of video material and again, lots of homework. My math calculation gives a grand total of 69 different classes with over 219 hours of video. All I can say to that is: "WOW, What a tour de force!" If I had even a quarter of that material really cemented in my brain and traveling out through my hands to my brush when I paint, my paintings should be awesome. So while we all take this breather and get a little academic training from Ken, Johannes can be planning his next courses and we can be going back over some of the stuff that we need more work on. Keep posting what you are doing; Jo should have more time for critiquing. Just my POV. I think Jo still has a lot more to offer most of us. I think the paintalongs have been awesome, but keeping up with Jo in them is tough. Stu
Stu you have a lot of time on your hands. LOL. But you are right about the overwhelming information. That's why we are to keep the 13 commandments in mind while painting.

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 11:42 PM
you're quite right that i am way behind with homework etc due to work obligations and am going to take this opportunity to do at least a little catch up.

i agree that we have hours and hours of lessons to digest (thanks for the maths) :)

i guess my comment was based on the fact that we (i) will miss the camaraderie that we all enjoyed with Joe and each other during the demos/paintalongs.

the smilies in my comment meant that it was light-hearted.Nougat, let's keep the comraderie going by posting the stuff when we finish it on these threads and commenting and critiqueing each other's work as we catch up on all this material. Also let's keep Johannes busy with suggestions for future courses, requests for critique of paintings we need help on, etc. I will if you will! Stu

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Stu you have a lot of time on your hands. LOL. But you are right about the overwhelming information. That's why we are to keep the 13 commandments in mind while painting.Jo, I don't really have all that much time with the pace you have been setting; I have about 8 or 10 paintings that need final touches from these paintalongs. Why don't you post those 13 commandments here again for everyone or give us a thread address to find them. We should all post them up next to our easels in large letters as we try and catch up! The paintalongs have been getting better and better, but harder and harder, with more complicated scenes to paint. I really like the mix of subjects you have provided this last session and look forward eventually to your seascape course and Ken's upcoming course. Thanks for all your hard work. Stu

chalet_dor
09-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Bravo!
I need to type less and paint more.........dor:))

Johannes Instructor
09-03-2012, 08:20 AM
I had reduced the commandments to about 13, It is easier to keep those in mind. The 24 can be merged into fewer categories.
Thou shalt create abstract shapes.
Thou shalt create eye flow.
Thou shalt create graceful and melodic lines.
Thou shalt variegate the colors.
Thou shalt create depth.
Thou shalt not clone.
Thou shalt simplify
Thou shalt create gradient planes.
Thou shalt respect the no fly zone.
Thou shalt vary edges.
Thou shalt not paint dark areas that are too dark.
Thou shalt have two different sides to the painting.
Thou shalt have interest in every 2 inches.

Of course within these commandments are sub indexes that need expansion to be explained in more detail. For example there are several techniques to create depth that were addressed in my Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos. These simple "commandments" if you can put them on your studio wall and you will find yourself repeating them every time you feel you are trying to copy the photo. The "thou shalt" makes a catchy phrase to remember them.

This is not a commandment but the secret to successful painting

1. Create an abstract shape. When applicable the contour of that shape should be melodic and when compared the two sides of that shape should be visually different. Then variegate inside that abstract shape. Then create depth by protrusions and indentations in that shape. If applicable move the eye in the shape

Sgourlayart
09-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Jo. Simplification always adds clarification! Stu

Sgourlayart
09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Bravo!
I need to type less and paint more.........dor:))Also, you should post more of your paintings! Stu

paintncook
09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Stu,
I'm with you. I haven't had a chance to do much painting, being busy with other things. I need a break to catch up for sure. I also belong to a reading group and haven't been doing much reading either, gasp. I intend to review all the Johannes videos while holed up in the Ozarks. I wish more people would post their paintings, I love looking at them. Kathy

susanc
09-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm spamming Joe's landscape pan pastel set photo from Northlight! It's kind of fun to see him at home, "behind the scenes".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/1697-joe-painting_panpastel.jpg [/URL]

nougat
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
:)

chalet_dor
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Thank you so much for posting this photo.......Now I can see how to arrange my pastels. I needed this...........when I have arranged mine again it will be for the last time.............: )):thumbsup:

susanc
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Nougat, have you finished all the paintalongs and done all the homework for the courses? I sure have not. So I think we all need a breather for awhile; or at least most of us. There were 8 Sunday paintalongs and 8 Saturday paintalongs (I am counting the makeup and freebie classes); this is about 87 hours of video material (no video from the first freebie and only 3 and not 6 hours from the makeup). Jo's first class "Landscapes from Photos" was 24 2.5 hour classes or 60 hours of video material and tons of homework. His subsequent 8 classes of 2.5 hours over 3 to 6 weeks (buildings, trees, mountains, skies, water, waterfalls, grass & snow, and rocks) add up to 29 2.5 hour classes and over 72 hours of video material and again, lots of homework. My math calculation gives a grand total of 69 different classes with over 219 hours of video. All I can say to that is: "WOW, What a tour de force!" If I had even a quarter of that material really cemented in my brain and traveling out through my hands to my brush when I paint, my paintings should be awesome. So while we all take this breather and get a little academic training from Ken, Johannes can be planning his next courses and we can be going back over some of the stuff that we need more work on. Keep posting what you are doing; Jo should have more time for critiquing. Just my POV. I think Jo still has a lot more to offer most of us. I think the paintalongs have been awesome, but keeping up with Jo in them is tough. Stu

And if that's still not enough to keep you busy, you can paint who knows how many paintings from Joe's Landscape Photo Reference Pack!

Sgourlayart
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
And if that's still not enough to keep you busy, you can paint who knows how many paintings from Joe's Landscape Photo Reference Pack!Thanks for mentioning that, Susan. I also bought that whole 700+ set of reference photos, but have only painted a couple so far. And, Jo is going on an RV trip this Fall to take some more photos to paint from! Stu

chalet_dor
09-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Ditto! : ))

larryhamilton
09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Johannes: (everyone seems to call you Jo):

I am new to this forum and have just finished watching all of the recorded videos form Paint Along 3 Live. I was not able to attend all of the live sessions but your painting instruction is excellent. I have enjoyed seeing you completed all the paintings.

Thank you for your great classes.

I will post a painting that I completed of the pastel painting you completed in the third class on my next post, since the system will not allow me to post images until my second posting.

Regards,

Larry Hamilton, Fishers, Indiana

larryhamilton
09-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Here is a second post so I can finally post one of my completed watercolors.

Larry Hamilton, Fishers, Indiana

larryhamilton
09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Hope this works.Here is a watercolor I completed of the pastel painting you completed in the third class. Critiques are welcome. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2012/21087-DSC03304-800X577.JPG

chalet_dor
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Hello Larry

I love seeing your watercolor! Congratulation, it is beautiful........: ))

larryhamilton
09-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello Dor:

Thanks for your comment. This was a fun painting for me to do. Glad you like it.

just having fun
09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Jo the photo in post #177, were did you get the board your using?

nougat
09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
it's a GUERRILLA PAINTER WATERCOLOUR BOARD.
if you google you'll find stockists.

just having fun
09-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Thank you!!!!!!!!!:clap:

nougat
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
you're welcome :)