PDA

View Full Version : Watercolour effects using OP's

Mo.
07-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Painted on W&N Lana white cartridge paper 150gm's weight, so quite sturdy one, this is approx 8 x 12 a quarter of a full size A2 sheet..... I've been itching to try this method .... this is my first attempt.... can onlt get better. :D.....started late last night and finished this afternoon, about 5 hours work, I really enjoyed this technique and one I think I will explore further, I think it has so many possibilities for effects and texture.... comments welcomed as always ......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/5154-iris_OP.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Wow, Mo - this is interesting! What did you use to dilute the OP's?

Getting somewhat the same effects with my grapes and will post shortly my next step in the WIP.

Like this alot - details!!

angeline
07-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Oh Mo this looks good .......tell us more!

Dyin
07-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Yeah, Helllllooooo.....how chintzy can ya get with the DETAILS!!!!! Sheesh...all excited at the neat image and then NADA!!!! I'm liking it...must mention....seems to need a touch of highlight....did you use turps??? TELL ME!!!!!!! :mad: :evil: :rolleyes: :p

Smudger
07-21-2003, 04:01 AM
love it Mo...tell all:D

Mystiq
07-21-2003, 06:58 AM
This is so rich and delicate, I like it!! :clap: :clap:
Would be very interesting to know how it's done :)
~*Tracy*~

soap
07-21-2003, 07:23 AM
What a teaser......
WHAT method??? How?

Looking stunning btw. Lovely stuff

Mo.
07-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks all and apologies, thought I'd said...:)

I used turps and brushes for the effects, painting in the tiny veins with a small brush dampened with turps and stroked lightly on.... in some places where the colour seemed too dense I would lift colour out, just as you would if painting with water-colours, using a cotton bud dipped in turps then gently dabbing until the colour lifted, I glazed over areas with different shades of blues and purples to give depth, this I found a really interesting technique... the only draw back was the turpy smell.... otherwise enjoyable, and as turps evaporates there is no waiting for dry out time as with water-colours, also the paper stayed flat no buckling... it was good fun just to play around, I think it's a technique I would certainly try again... Thanks for looking and for the interest .:)

Mo.

Dyin
07-21-2003, 11:17 AM
:D happy now...got details;) ...I think when the weather cools down it would be nice to sit outside to play with the turps...this has a lovely transluscent effect....the pale background lightens the effect of the turps...so not so dull looking...btw...loved your site with the pet portraits...and I liked your pic of you too...and where you live sounds awesome...it sounds like a timeless place...I would think a walk there would clear your head of any artist's block! Are you going to do more with the turps?

soap
07-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Sounds good Mo! Those OP's are certainly versatile!
It's not for me though (I keep on being tempted by all the wonderful OP work here and think 'shall I try') as I so enjoy the 'no-mess' of soft pastels. No turps, no chemicals etc.

Mo - this is lovely work! Glad to see you back at it.

Dyin
07-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Now Sophie....my WIP has not one chemical or turp applied...so there goes your excuse!!! We're just playing to see what else we can do with these OPs...so get to it, girl....:p :evil: :D

soap
07-21-2003, 12:05 PM
:p :p yeah ....yeah.......:p
so much to try so little time.......oil pastels, acrylics, oil paints......when I am rich and famous and sold enough paintings to buy some of every medium I'll get to it.
(how's that for crappy excuse! :D :D)

Dyin
07-21-2003, 12:33 PM
well, you're young...you have time....some of us though... :mad: :D

soap
07-21-2003, 12:35 PM
ooh spare me.....:p
LOL....!!

Mo.
07-21-2003, 06:23 PM
thanks guys.... although the colours shown here are gawd awful...not true at all... it's much lighter than shown.... hey Sophie... you can get high on turps you know. :D:D

MKathleen
07-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi Mo:
:DOne word 'Turpenoid' ordorless turps or is that what your using? I know some folks have really sensative nosey's. Love the colors you have used with this one and terrific design.
Best,
Kathy:)

soap
07-22-2003, 03:02 AM
...:D ....:D prefer to get high in different manners......:D :D