PDA

View Full Version : 2nd foray with new oil pastels

guilliame
07-20-2003, 12:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/6932-tessa.gif

Well i decided to start a new pic,my 2nd with the faber-castell oil pastels i brought last tues,this was done on winsor & newton lana tints pastel paper 160 gsm size 297x210 mm or 8x11 inches,there was 6 assorted colours and i have chosen the black one,i seem to have a mental stumbling block painting eyes,still iv'e had fun with it so far,experimenting and playing around,Mo mentioned liquin and turps to work into the oil pastels,not having either of those and being a sunday and i didn't want to go out looking + i'm watching the british open golf championship on tele:D i decided to use some linseed oil i had lyiing around,once i had laid down my colours with the oil pastel using a small brush i worked some linseed oil lightly over the surface,i think i'm making some progress but not entirely happy there are areas that i need to work on so any comments would be appreciated.

Nori
07-20-2003, 12:36 PM
G, I think her eyes are very expressive. I wouldn't change a thing. As always your colors are wonderful. You always pick such interesting subjects.

I am still fearful about using OPs. I guess it's the blending thing. However I am very attracted to the richness of color in OPs. So I'm sure I'll get biten by the bug soon enough.

Mo.
07-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Wow! Guilli this gorgeous, lovely expression you've captured there......looks like those OP's are good ones too... love the skin tones.... just two things hit me... the eyes.. are they looking straight ahead?....our left one is slightly turned inwards, only s light correction will put this right..... the other thing is her right/our left cheek... seems a bit too prominant wouldn't think it would be that rounded at that angle, maybe shave a little off there.... otherwise you are doing a superb job.... Love it!

How do you like the OP's and how did you get on with the linseed? silly question... obviously well looking at this, but what I mean is does the linseed oil make them more sticky and slower to harden?

Mo.

Dyin
07-20-2003, 02:22 PM
looks like you are having fun...but golf over OPs????:eek: :rolleyes: :p
Yes, do want to know how the linseed oil works...does it move the Ops around??? Does it make them run???
On her right eye...just above it, I would think the lid would be a touch darker than the bony area under her brow...give it more dimension...and I think her chest skin would darken as it goes lower...but I think you're doing really great...wouldn't know it was only your second at all!!! And I love the smile!

guilliame
07-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Nori,Mo and Dyin woooee thanks for your comments one and all i will take them into account when i start tweaking:D
Mo my first ones were w.h.smiths own cheap and cheerful and just couldn't use them,these feel good to use and they have kicked started me out of the doldrums iv'e been in lately, the linseed oil was just an experiment and i was prepared to ruin my painting just to see what would happen so i was very sparing in my application,Dyin the colours didn't run but you could brush one colour over another and blend easier,i just lightly touched the surface it's a little sticky but seems to be drying out ok:)

Dyin,everthing in moderation too much of anything is not good for you:) :D :evil especilly when you get to my age.

PS,i guess you were all too polite to mention the hairy chest she has,i only noticed after i had posted:eek: i will change that too:D .

Nori,dont be afraid buy some oil pastels and go for it,dont buy the cheapies tho i did 2 years ago and my first efforts went into the bin it was Mo's magnificent painting of grace that convinced me to try again and i'm now glad that iv'e tried again,so now i can do both,dont go over board tho and buy the most expensive ones try out a mid range set of say 12 or 24 colours:)

Dyin
07-20-2003, 04:55 PM
I've been wanting to try some oil to see what it would do...thanks for letting me know it's worth the try....
hair? I just figured she was normal...after all, when you get to a certain age as a woman......:evil: :D :evil: