PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 20th- 26th July

Mo.
07-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi Folks:)..... here we go for another weekly thread, this thread is so popular.....I'm amazed at all the the quickies that keep coming in.... shows that inspiration is thriving with you all.... last weeks covered so many varying subjects, all of them super , it's so great to see you all having a go.... keep them coming:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks thread, some beautiful ones here for you to see and give you an idea about what this thread is alll about:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119262&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

E-J
07-21-2003, 02:59 AM
This is just 5 mins ... my very first attempt to do a cloud from life, and you can see how unsuccessful I was! Couldn't stop the damn thing moving and changing. I hope to do more and get better, but here it is, just for the record.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/13865-cloud1.jpg

Dyin
07-21-2003, 03:10 AM
well, I don't think it was unsuccessful...but what an inconsiderate cloud to move all over on you!!! Awful good cloud especially in 5 minutes!!! It looks like a running puppy....so there...it's definately a cloud!!!!

angeline
07-21-2003, 03:11 AM
EJ well done........my attempt was that bad it wasn't worth even posting!!! At least yours looks like clouds.....and i like the colurs you got in there too.

Mo.
07-21-2003, 08:44 AM
E-J that's brill.... I tired doing clouds on the move once ..didn't turn out near as good as this, there was this lovely bulging fluffy cloud, but by the time Isorted out my pastels the darn thing had almost evaporated into thin wisps........ this must be one of the most challenging of life excercises to do... you've done well.!!

Vegas Art Guy
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Nice job on the clouds, Mo this time you won't have to guilt me into drawing something... I Promise! :D :D

E-J
07-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I've been stuck in that rut again, so am feeling the need to play for a while ... not fret about making 'finished' pictures.

This is 45 mins from a photo. The darks didn't come out dark enough. I plan to revisit this subject in more detail soon!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2003/13865-solutre.jpg

Dyin
07-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Oh, E-J...must fess up on myself...I'm sitting here thinking...now wait a minute...this is familiar...someone else did this...I'm SURE I saw it before...only a more developed painting....OMG...it was your PHOTO I remembered LOL LOL LOL!!! For unfinished it sure is good!!!!!!!!

Mo.
07-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Okay Greg... relax... I won't bring out the whip. :)

E-J... wonderful, you've made a start on that lovely photo.... looking really good, please post an update in a seperate thread, it deserves it... go on make it a WIP... I really want to see this one progress.

Vegas Art Guy
07-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Very nice EJ I like what you've done so far. Those mountains are just juicy with texture!

Mo.
07-21-2003, 06:57 PM
So okay ... Greg is excused for now.... but what about the rest of you slackers ;) :evil: Are you all leaving it to E-J... come on posts your quickies... paint anything, anything at all within the time limit...preferably a life sketch, but from a ref photo will do as well, but don't fiddle, get the info down within the given time.... come on, have a go ...it's good and it's fun!... Oooh I'm hard! :D :D ;)

Vegas Art Guy
07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
I have a drawing to post, still at work so I'll try to get it uploaded tonite before I go to the church to work on the veggietales mural. (it's almost done, yay!) Speaking of drawings... MO.... where's yours? hmmmmmmmm :D :D Hey these guilt trip thingys are kinda fun!

Mo.
07-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Ouchy Greg!!.. where's mine:D:D, The only quickie I did today between guiding the forum, and working on my exhibition , took too long to post here..2.!/2 hrs. It's portrait using three colours only, posted in the portrait project ( portrait forum) which Sophie is running.. will try a 1/2 hr quickie tomorrow...:D .....Gawd who's cracking the whip now:D

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi E-J: But aren't those clouds fun to do? All color and not much shape.

I do really like how the vineyard picture is coming along - please do a WIP in a new thread. My grapes, your vineyard need to meet up someday - LOL.

I think Mo, Dyin and me have been in the turps too much these days - things are getting real silly.:evil: :angel:

Vegas Art Guy
07-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Silly? No, silly is someone who spends 15 minutes drawing a pencil sharpener with sanguine colored conte crayon! Oh, wait I did that! :o

Dyin
07-21-2003, 09:51 PM
I kept jabbing my pencil at it...it doesn't work!!! :D :evil: :D
Good job!!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Kewl, Vegas Guy - nice job - I think I'd like to get some of sanquine conte's for fast sketches. Saves on the expensive pastels.

:clap: :clap:

guilliame
07-22-2003, 07:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/6932-draw.gif

Well i guess i can post this in here as i have spent an hour drawing this,measuring and marking trying to make sure everything lines up and the proportions are right,done with a light blue pastel pencil,trouble is if and when i go in with pastels it usually throws everything out whack,so you might see this eventually:D but i want to some more drawings to make sure i am getting the likeness and giving me a good starting off point,i will keep them all as ref pics and then decide :)

guilliame
07-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Ej,ooh la la:D recognized this instantly from your photo,it's looking really really good so far,i like the way you have separated all those greens out:clap: yes start a wip thread:D i wanna see progress pics:D

guilliame
07-22-2003, 07:37 AM
EJ,duh wanted to comment on your cloud too in the same post,difficult to do but looks good,worked some nice colour into the cloud,agree with dyin tho looks like a puppy:D

Vegas Art Guy,used one of those a lot this morning:D good quick sketch tho.

Pelli
07-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I've been lurking in this forum for quite awhile, admiring all the great artwork, and have finally gotten brave enough to share my scribbles, so here goes! These all took between 20-30 minutes each. The first 3 are on Canson Mi-Tients paper, the last one is on Aquarius II watercolor paper

My Jimmy Buffet tunes were cranked, I just had to do this party girl!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/7470-flamingo.jpg

Trying for cold early morning monochromatic winter feel:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/7470-tree.jpg

Just playing with blending (the rubber tipped blenders are wonderful!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/7470-water.jpg

As the title says, just laying down lots of bright colors and seeing how they play together :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/7470-wild.jpg

I really enjoy this weekly thread-it's a great motivator to explore ideas and learn techniques for a beginner!

Comments and suggestions most welcome!

Carole

harmony
07-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Oh how embarrassment posting my lame attempt at a quickie here. Come to think of it, I never seem to do anything more than a quickie with most of my artwork lol But this one seems to be a slight step backwards and the limited colours certainly showed through... but here it is... my 10 minute tree lol I'm only new but is it possible that this crappy work shows potential? ;)

guilliame
07-22-2003, 10:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/6932-pics.gif

Two more,an hour spent on each one,dont think i can do any more today,maybe tonight i can splash about with colour on something else:D .

nougat
07-22-2003, 10:25 AM
great quickies all!!!!

I haven't had a moment to do anything but that whip cracking is making me cringe so I'll just HAVE to post something soon!!

nadine

Dyin
07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
wow....so much work (hiding head in shame)! Welcome to the Pastel forum, Carole!!!! I really like your tree....looks like you had lots of fun experimenting with lots of different techniques on all your paintings...that's the best way to learn!!!
Guilliame...looking forward to seeing some of these in color! It's a lot of work doing grids...seems to be working though...
Harmony...of course it shows potential...every time we do something we learn...at least you're doing...I plead WIP lol!!!

Deborah Secor
07-22-2003, 01:16 PM
yikes! How did I get so far behind? LOL Guess I've been busy, but I'm impressed with the work I see here.

I love all the colors in your cloud, E-J. I see clouds as that colorful too. So many see only blue and gray and white...

Vegas, your sharpener is great. I think it's so good for us to just hone our drawing ability, so we have accuracy and the ability to measure.

Speaking of measuring, guilliame, these are wonderful! I look forward to seeing the color, if it happens. (I understand, I often lose a painting when I go into the color.)

Carole, I'm fond of the last one you shared, all the bright colors. I sometimes start a painting out of my head just playing with colors and gestures. I find your fast and fun--lots of potential, don't you think?

I have some new, fast work to show but need to shoot pix. I have to start the laborious chore of saving data to CDs so I can wipe the hard drive of this silly old (2 whole years old) computer and give it a new brain soon. Sometimes I wish I could do that to myself! I may be absent some during this process, but I hope to have a shiny new brain running things--in the computer, that is.

Drumbeat-trish
07-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Wow -where did all these spring from so fast?????????
Too many to comment on when I should be in the shower getting ready for work.

Greg- I gotta ask -do you do any WORK at work ??????? ;) ;)

Guilliame - love those back to basics

E-J - super cloud and landscape

Carole - cool pics -specially love your flamingo

harmony - your tree looks more like a tree than I can ever manage :)

I found a big old bag downstairs that I can fit my little case of pastels in to take to work -so hoping I might find a few minutes somewhere to do a couple of quickies. Have a good day all

Vegas Art Guy
07-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Work? Well, yea. Nice thing is those copy machines pretty much run them selves(one machine has a bay that holds 2500 sheets of paper at once). Of course this morning was another story(paper jam city)... I can usually get about 5-15 minutes of uninterrupted drawing in before I need to check copy quality, unload finished copies, reload machines, that sort of thing. That's for the long running jobs, if they are quickies, no time for sketches... Anyway I've seen some great sketches on this thread as usual (except for Mo who is still holding out!) Especially the Jimmy Buffet groupie.

Mo.
07-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Big welcome to Carole.... great lively sketches there Carole.... keep them coming especially like the party girl

Greg, Harmony super little quickies...I applaud you both

Now Guilli.. sorry folks must single Guilli out here as he's been working so hard on these back to basics

Originally posted by guilliame
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/6932-pics.gif

Two more,an hour spent on each one,dont think i can do any more today,maybe tonight i can splash about with colour on something else:D .

You are doing really great with these Guili... I know it can be a bit tiresome, but it pays off in the long run.. I encourage you every step of the way... Yes now try it with colour, don't be afraid of losing your marks either, you can always check back... check and check again........what guilli is doing here folks is getting his facial proportions correct... a bit different to gridding.... Well done Guilli.:clap:

PM me if you need more advice okay?

I heard you Greg..... one coming shortly. :p

Mo.
07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Here you go Greg! I did this for the Riot.... but as it only took me 40 mins this evening, it qualifies for here too.... killing two birds with one stone. :D:D

OP's on black cansons 8x10 inches....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/5154-spikes.jpg

Deborah Secor
07-22-2003, 06:00 PM
I did this one over my weekend workshop as a demonstration in about 40 minutes. It's my usual size, 11x17" and on Wallis. I hope to do a finished painting from it, so need critiques now...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2003/23609-SandiasSECOR.jpg

Dyin
07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Hey, Mo...that's great! Was going to do that one...when I got around to it...:D Now it'll be a challenge to do it differently:(
ok...not a grid...I knew that...that's my story anyways....
Dee...nice one and in such a short time! Love the shadow colors in the hills. I really like it...maybe something accentuated as a focal point???

Mo.
07-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Sue...You can do it... you have great imagination and flair... I have every faith in you... go to it girl!

Wow! Deborah... you fitted far more work into your 40 mins than I did... this is gorgeous!

Vegas Art Guy
07-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Mo, Took you long enough :evil: Great drawing love that color on the black paper. I may have to pull mine out again after seeing your drawing.

harmony
07-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Oooh thats pretty Mo. I love those colours on the black paper. Very nice.

Dee, that painting is fantastic. I cant imagine that would be a quickie lol Its too detailed for such a short time :)

harmony
07-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Ok well heres another quickie. It started off as a really bad attempt at waves... so I had this page in my sketchjournal (which is quite obvious in this scan... you can see the spiral edge) and so I had to do something about it or I would have kept looking at it and getting depressed. So I covered it up with a edge of water , reflection attempt. I'm not overly happy with this. Its too dark in the sky area and it was done very quickly (crappily lol). I'd love to know what everyone thinks tho. Does it sort of look like a reflection in water?

Try to ignore the shocking scan :)

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Harmony: Yes, it definitely does look like a reflection! The tree on the left looks like a willow tree and I see that you are trying to get some different colors into that tree - that's good too.

Not sure what colors you have in your box, but you can lighten the sky up with some greys, mauves, yellow - but very lightly - and you could try blending with your finger if you want to. Are these oil pastels or soft? With blending, I was speaking of soft.

Glad you posted this latest work and keep working!

harmony
07-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Hard pastels... probably supposed to be soft pastels but they are such shocking quality that they are like rocks sometimes lol Scratch the paper a bit at times. I've always hated oil pastels but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'd do better with them :S

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 09:01 AM
I think if you hold out on your opinion of soft pastels until you get a good quality set, you may change your mind. Let me make a suggestion before you switch (sorry OP'ers), but if you have an art store that sells pastels by the stick, buy some really nice pastels and try them out - that way you won't have a lot of money invested in a huge set. You might even stay with one color and buy a range of values in the same color - for example: dark blue, medium blue, basic blue and light blue. Then try a simple object like a blue ball and use all the values on that ball - shading from the very darkest on one side to the very lightest on the opposite side. LOL - be the ball!

Just a suggestion -

Dyin
07-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Kat...those are excellent suggestions!!! Don't apologise to OPers...nothing wrong with soft pastels at all...would still use them if I didn't have trouble with the dust...really Harmony...it does look like a reflection...and I started with some cheap pastels that were scratchy too...horrid. Kyle's suggestion on getting the different values of a single color would help you a lot...if you could even get the 3 primaries and play with strokes...light strokes, next to each other and overlapping you'd see the colors you could come up with...I learned a lot about colors and shading when I started airbrushing...and I did it with balls and cones and boxes...just learning to do them...a lot has to do with a light touch, it's easier to go dark than light...

nougat
07-23-2003, 11:55 AM
At last I managed to get this 20 min sketch done!!

YOu're all doing great work guys. I dooo look and admire them ALL even if I don't have the time to comment. I use dial-up internet access and the pages take AGES to come up sometimes!!

Next week I expect to be more relaxed and have more time to hang around here!!!

well done all

n

angeline
07-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Wow! so many posts in such a short time!
Having just ploughed my way through them I need to get something done! lol
Everyone is doing great stuff.
Must just say.....Harmony you are working so hard and making improvements all the time.........I have only been pasteling since feb and can understand the way you can be hard on yourself when you see such great work on here .........but do not give up! You are doing great! Get your self a few really nice soft pastels and it will make all the difference!

Dyin
07-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Nougat...that's awesome! It was a bit dark on my monitor but I turned up my bright on it and could see it good enough....way to go!!!

Gayze
07-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Hello All!

The very best thing about this thread is that whenever I check in, it sends me right to my pastels to 'play'. Haven't touched them since last Thursday, but as soon as I was done enjoying everyone's posts and lovely work, I had a "pastel itch" to scratch! LOL

E-J, your cloud is most certainly a cloud, and a lovely one! And I'm so happy to see you've got that gorgeous photo out and are working with it.

Guilliame, your faces are wonderful! Proportion of human faces is something that has always intimitated me a bit.

Pelle, loved all your entries (though am tempted to stand your flamingo next to nougat's glass, pour some water in, and see if it will bob indefinitely like one of those little glass birds they sell in novelty shops ;). I also just love the brilliant colors in the last one.

Harmony, your tree and reflecting water are great. I haven't tried water yet ... another intimidation topic.

Mo.'s Electric Asters are, well, electrifying!! Love them!

Vegas, I so enjoy your posts -- there is something about making art out of the every day routine that is just delightful, and your pencil sharpener was great fun!

Deborah! Okay, I'm coming to New Mexico to one of your workshops. I'm so impressed!

Nougat, the glass is great (see reference to Pelli's flamingo).
:cat:

Okay, here goes nuffin'. This was Winsor & Newton on white W & N pastel paper, smooth side of a 9 x 12 sheet. It took about 25 minutes, done from life. Once again I fought for ages with the darned scanner and even scanning at 1200 dpi could not get it to translate the shadings and colors correctly. You'll have to take my word that the original's a bit nicer. Really. Honest. :evil:

Going to try the uploader for the first time, as I've scanned an over-all and a detail of the daisies to try to show it a bit better. Try doesn't necessarily mean succeed.

--Gayze

Overall....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/24440-mainlydaisies1.jpg

And the detail....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2003/24440-mainlydaisies3.jpg

Dyin
07-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey, Gayze...nice use of complimentary colors there!!!! And the uploader worked! You know, a lot of photo programs will allow you to adjust the color and intensity...sometimes you can get it really close that way...looks to me like you are ready to do the flowers in the Pastel Riot!!!

E-J
07-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Nadine, your glass looks like glass!! No mean feat.

Gayle, good to see you posting. I always find it hard to get contrasts to show up in pics of my pics ... they tend to end up looking a bit washed-out. Cute daisies :)

This thread is such a valuable one. So many newbies posting, just getting their fingers dusty and giving it a try ... this is great!

Vegas Art Guy
07-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Those were some nice flowers, love the color contrast. I also liked the glass sketch. Guess I need to get busy. Been struggling with a drawing re-started it 3 $^@&&*%# times already. Now I remember why I don't do portraits... :D

Mo.
07-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Well done Nadine and gayle!! Kudos yo you both..... keep 'em coming... cannot get enough of your quickies... great stuff!

Greg.. I'm going to push you now.... I know you like it :evil:

Show what you have....keep going... a portrait hey?... then check and double check those proportions... then check again.... You CAN do it!... I'm awaiting ;)

harmony
07-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Everyones quick works are fantastic. Puts me to shame lol

Kyle, thats a great suggestion about buying just a few colours of better quality pastels and seeing how they feel opposed to what I've been using. I might do exactly that next time I'm at the art store... which will hopefully be next week.

Thankyou everyone for the kind comments :) You've all been so kind.

tick149
07-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Here are two paintings from pictures of the same group of trees..First picture taken early or mid summer, second picture taken early fall.

Each painting took about 50- 60 minutes.

Here is the first one..

tick149
07-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Here is the second one..(different style)

Dyin
07-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey, nice! The first looks impressionistic, the second has nice details..you've been busy! Loved your portrait too!!!

harmony
07-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Those are both just lovely Tick :)

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Tick: Those are two very nice paintings - I especially like the texture in the second one - the bark and the fallen leaves on the path - nice!

E-J
07-24-2003, 03:18 AM
Amante, I like the little diagonal strokes you've used to build up the mass of the tree in the first picture. So many colours in the green! Nice delicate strokes in the second one, too.

Deborah Secor
07-24-2003, 10:38 AM
amante, I think these are very strong paintings. I'm constantly trying to get my students to see through the trees, to understand they're semi-tranparent and have eveidence of branches inside and sky behind them, no matter the style used. Your paintings are great examples of that, especially since they have similar palettes and such differing styles. Nicely done...

Vegas Art Guy
07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Tick, those are great trees, remind me of the deep south. And yes Mo, I'm going to get another drawing in, I promise. Trying to figure out what to draw....

Mo.
07-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Harmony... so sorry, I missed your sketch earlier......... keep them coming you are doing great....

Amante... beautiful work....I love your unique style.

Greg... the whip is Cracking!:D:D

guilliame
07-24-2003, 05:34 PM
... Yes now try it with colour, don't be afraid of losing your marks either, you can always check back... check and check again

Thanks Mo,the first one went down ok,struggled with the full face but the profile sort of flowed,i did do another and not only did i try it with colour but i only used 3 and posted it in Soap's ltd palette portrait project,i lost my mark on the mouth tho as her comment that the mouth was too big [well she was laughing from ear to ear lol]:D

Thanks also to Dying ,Trish and dee artist for your comments:)

guilliame
07-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Pelli,welcome to wc,officically you are no longer a lurker,nice variety of pics,nice movement and colour in the last one.
Hi Harmony,welcome also,sure your pics have potential,only 10 mins for the tree,try 30 and draw thro the tree,also you have the reflections in the water,it's got a windy stormy feel to it well done.

dee artist,this looks really good for 40min,i like it,but would like to see some more depth to it,maybe lighten the middle section of green as it recedes back to the mountains.
Gayze,sorry to have missed you out,i'm glad you liked my faces,i have been intimidated too thats why i;m drawing them with a lot of help from my friends here on wc,so dont be,they say the more you do etc etc:D hey those daisys are :cool: now reverse the colours and post them in the riot:)
Nougat,lovely painting with so few strokes,good choice on the colour or the paper,really captures the feel of glass,like the reflection too
Tick,like them both,great colour and style well done:) .

Vegas Art Guy
07-24-2003, 06:59 PM
OK Mo, I finished my drawing, I'll have it uploaded by tomorrow. Have class tonite right after work.

Mo.
07-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Gerrrreaaattt!!!! :D

nougat
07-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Things have slowed down a bit here so I can spend some time commenting on all the super sketches I've been admiring all week.

E-J - great cloud - they dooo tend to move about don't they!! my attempt had looked like billowing smoke.... I loved the vineyard!!!

Vegas - nice sharpener. It s great how you can just dash off something at work!!

guilliame - loved the portrait sketches... They're so hard to get correct!

pelli - you've been working hard!! esp. liked the 3rd sketch.

harmony - nice tree with a nice sky. I liked the 'reflections' sketch too

Mo - interesting vibrant flowers!!!

dee-artist - lovely and peaceful!

gayze - very pretty fresh feel to these flowers

tick - I loved your trees!! esp the first one.

Well done all

I hope I haven't accidentally skipped anyone's work. I think you all deserve a pat on the back!!

nadine

Gayze
07-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Guilliame, perhaps I'll get brave and try faces myself. :) Can I cheat and reverse the colors of those flowers in Paint Shop Pro? LOL

I babbled something about animal eyes after admiring all of those lovely eyes in the sketching board this morning, so a little while ago sat down and did "Eye of Kai" (my black Saluki, who just celebrated his first birthday on Monday). 45 minutes on Winsor & Newton paper.

--Gayze

Dyin
07-25-2003, 04:42 PM
wow...Gayze...that's a beautiful eye! You sure did catch the love for you there!

guilliame
07-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Gayze,wow this is sooooo goooood,if you can paint eyes like this then you can do a portrait,go for it,well done:clap:

Gayze
07-25-2003, 04:52 PM
::blush:: Thanks Dyin and Guilliame. He's a sweet boy. His pic's in the image library

Hope this comes through as a link.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=17725&papass=&sort=1

--Gayze
...off to feed the zoo.... :)

guilliame
07-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Well this is for Mo and Dyin who requested colour on my back to basic drawings,this is the full face my 2nd drawing,so just laid down some colour for the skin tones,wont be able to work on it till sun,gotta work till noon tomorrow then basic chores and some weeding [no golf this week] :D :crying: so any feedback will be welcome:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2003/6932-carol.gif

Dyin
07-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Link worked...what a beautiful baby!!!

Yay, Guilliame!!! You have a real good start on the color here...bravo!!!! The nose, mouth and hair are really looking good. And you have a pretty blue grey going in the eyes too! Because this is a woman, and not a guy with long hair, then I'd suggest softening the jawline...and lose the real light area on the throat...looks like an adam's apple...and if you can enlarge the left (as I look at it) eye a little it would help the proportions...I can see you're still working on the skin tones but be careful not to make to high a contrast on her forehead...I think you're doing a great job here...can't wait to see it finished!

Gayze
07-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Oooh, Guilliame, it's coming along really nicely! I just love the hair -- what lovely highlights!

Thanks, Dyin, I'll pass along the compliment to the Kai-Guy. :D

--Gayze

Mo.
07-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Gayze
Guilliame, perhaps I'll get brave and try faces myself. :) Can I cheat and reverse the colors of those flowers in Paint Shop Pro? LOL

I babbled something about animal eyes after admiring all of those lovely eyes in the sketching board this morning, so a little while ago sat down and did "Eye of Kai" (my black Saluki, who just celebrated his first birthday on Monday). 45 minutes on Winsor & Newton paper.

--Gayze

Super Gayle.... there is something very special about animal eyes, especially pets, that have the edge over human eye, I think it's the trust that is shown..... great reflections in the eye ..Well done:clap:

Mo.
07-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Well this is for Mo and Dyin who requested colour on my back to basic drawings,this is the full face my 2nd drawing,so just laid down some colour for the skin tones,wont be able to work on it till sun,gotta work till noon tomorrow then basic chores and some weeding [no golf this week] :D :crying: so any feedback will be welcome:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2003/6932-carol.gif

Gawd... my server's been playing me up tonight...have been disconnected and couldn't get back on line for ages....dial up connection here. Ugh.....Anyway...here we go......Guili......Awwww
...... no golf.... sniff, only weeding... how the mighty have fallen. :D:D

Serious now... you are coming on in leaps and bounds.... Good on you.... I think all that proportional studying is working now for you, don't you think?....looking at your work here... hmm yes she does have a hint of an adam's apple:D ... the eyes yes are the main concern here Guilli as Sue has said... in the main they are not lined up... if you look carefully you will see that the eye to our right is more rounded and deeper than the eye to our left which is more of an almond shape... this needs a slight correction....also a bit puzzled as to the dab of purple on the right cheek as we look..could be a smudge tho... The hair is coming along really good, the expression and mouth area, nose all good...... doing great here Guilli... skin tones... are you using white for the highlights?... it appears white here... white is flat, will deaden things.. try a light ochre or pink... I think maybe the ref pic has been taken with a flash or in bright sunlight, so colours are bleached out for you, so where those colours are bleached you will see very light areas which in life would not be that light, think about this one and add some more colour there, but keeping the highlights... keep going Guilli... you are doing wonderfully well I can see fantastic improvements....:clap:

Vegas Art Guy
07-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey look, a well used eraser! :D Yes it really is... Took about 10-15 minutes, figured it would match the pencil sharpener...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2003/23340-eraser.jpg

See Mo? I TOLD you I had 1 more! :D

Mo.
07-26-2003, 08:03 AM
ROTFLOL... what are you doing using an eraser... hope it's only used for cleaning up areas and not rubbing out mistakes..... :D

Good one Greg!.... how about the pencil now?