PDA

View Full Version : People having a conversation

nszczesniak
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2012/29065-1050362_P1020511.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: People having a conversation
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 93cm x 73cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Two of a four part series. Oil on canvas, both are 30f, which is something around 93 cm x 72 cm. The other two panels aren't started, and the panel shown on the right isn't finished. The figure in the panel on the right probably won't change, but the lighting throughout the rest will change to create better depth. The colors are a little undersaturated, because the picture was taken around early dusk.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have a sense of what the images mean, and how they're related, but if anyone would like to venture an interpretation of the images without knowing the intent, it'd be nice to hear. I'd like to see if the images are sufficiently expository.

Hope to get some strong criticism on the technique, too.

Andrewcody
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
What is your technique?

Andrew

nszczesniak
07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Technique as in painterly qualities. I guess I mean to ask whether or not it's well executed.

I generally make a huge initial mess, and clean it up around the theme.

Debzy
07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Are they aliens? The picture is so big I can't make it out? Could you try to reduce the size? It looks very interesting however!!!! Cheers. =)) Debs

Andrewcody
07-31-2012, 10:06 PM
I agree with Deb reduce the image size.

I don't see any structure to either painting yet, and cannot see how either of the works you have displayed communicate.

Alien life forms ? Maybe but I don't see that either - the part of an old hand held phone does echo communication I guess - the figure on the left appears to have a cephalopod head (squid boy?) is it vomiting ?

I can see some evidence of on canvas paint mixing, and some scratching back, but it is difficult to determine if this is contributing to the final work or part of your conceptual initial mess phase.

I don't think you have given enough visual information to be able to ask whether or not your images are sufficiently expository, you said yourself there are two works in the group yet to come.

Those of us out here have no prior knowledge of what you are trying to express, for us to perceive your intent we need you to restate it using symbolism or develop sub-patterns or other patterns to elaborate or clarify.

Andrew

Debzy
08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
That is much easier to see now, but if it is people having a conversation where are the people? I can't really comment on the technique because I'm not sure of what you are trying to achieve? They are unusual paintings but don't really make a lot of sense to me. Could you explain your story in them please? Cheers =)) Debs

Andrewcody
08-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Do you like Francis Bacon?

nszczesniak
08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. To clarify, the paintings deal with communication, but not with verbal communication. They are human figures who are attempting to show something of themselves through their posture and actions, but they only display their acculturated selves. Whatever they were (or could be) is lost under layers of junk culture, fear, and repression. They communicate what they think they are, which is a vague ugliness of spirit, and an uncertainty about something as certain as the body.

I don't know, it's something like that. I do like Francis Bacon, and I try very hard not to paint carbon copies of his work, but I've been so influenced by his aesthetic, that it's kinda tough. I try to be more painterly, less flat, and use more subdued colors...but the difference between a dog with a spot, and a dog without, is the spot.

I've completed a bit more on them, and started the third, so maybe I'll upload the finished product when they're done.

Debzy
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, please do! Now I can understand where you are coming from, it's making more sense! Cheers =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
08-03-2012, 08:14 PM
The Francis Bacon influence is fairly obvious.
Check out these artists:
Mia Makila
Jesse Peper
Max Ernst

Regards
Andrew

dgford
08-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Sorry, mate, but I know neither where you are coming from nor where you are going. Your words seem as though they mean something to you but I am left for lost.
I am sure though that you will get some valuable C&Cs from here --- that is why it is such a valuable forum.
Geoff