PDA

View Full Version : Defects in paper?

markusrydh
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
I bought a stack of 10 sheets of Fisher 400 a while ago, and so far all papers (I'm on sheet nr 3) have had defects in form of long scratches, so that when painting over the scratch it becomes clearly visible. The scratches run over the whole sheet, so they are long. For example, see the vertical line near the center of the image below (from a work in progress). The line is also clearly visible in the final image. Is this normal for sanded papers in general (I have never tried any before), or have I just been unlucky?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2012/974592-notan.jpg

Ruthie57
07-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Markus, I think this is something to do with the handling of the paper before it was despatched to you. I've had problems like this with Colourfix (today in fact) and some sheets of pastelmat have sort of ridges within the coating. Haven't encountered it with the Fisher though. I HAVE had sheets of Fisher delivered which have been rolled and not properly flattened which caused a lot of work getting the c*rl out. (Must just explain this. For some reason wet canvas objects to the word c.u.r.l and won't allow me to post it!!! The paper was bent, OK!!!)

markusrydh
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Interesting. My papers must have been rolled as well, because they certainly won't stay flat. I thought they were supposed to be like that? Or is some "bentness" (best avoid all those dirty words... :) ) to be expected, and yours were extraordinary?

Potoma
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
I see the same elongated gouging in Pastelbord. Figured it's in the way it was handled or, actually, mishandled. Now I am much more careful with mine and try to look if I am buying them in the store.

Colorix
08-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Long post, which was then "Forbidden!" posting... seems WC has problems, again. Of course I didn't save the text before hitting the button... sigh.

OK here goes again:

Solutions:

a) The "roll": Reverse roll it, let sit for a few days, or, very lightly moisten the back of the paper, let dry flat with something heavy on the corners.

b) Scratches: Draw with your pastel tip/edge in the scratch, along it, gently "blend" the dust into the scratch. After a few layers of painting it is no longer visible.

Those scratches are not visible before painting.

Irritating with defects, but then the process of complaining is not so easy when the paper is ordered from abroad.

markusrydh
08-01-2012, 04:01 AM
:( Yesterday evening it was so slow it took about a minute to load each page.

Colorix
08-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Yes, it was, real slow. Probably some maintenance, and as we are 6 to 9 hours ahead of them, I guess we notice it.

I edited my post above, added the lost info.

markusrydh
08-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Thanks Charlie, great tips. Will try that!

sketchZ1ol
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
hello
apparently , this issue comes up with different prepared surfaces from time to time .

the idea of making a textured surface has been explored by several American pastellists that i've read of .
> it takes time , but you know what you get by your own hand .
>> go to the top bar , ' Content Areas ' , scroll the window to ' Article Index ' , and scroll to ' Pastel ' .
there is an item about materials/mixtures to make a textured surface .

Ed :}

Colorix
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Ed, yes, but it does take oodles of time! And IMnsvHO (In MY not so very Humble Opinion :-) , the result isn't as good, with the gritty stuff we get here, as it is too fine. I've tried, and I rather pay for shipping, and get more painting time (or as right now, more procrastinating time....).

Granted, if they would sell aluminium oxide to private citizens, and not only to firms, that would be different.

jackiesimmonds
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Markus, your charcoal image is "thin", almost like a wash of colour, and unless you do something to fill up that line, it is bound to show.

It will be far less likely to show if you do as Charlie suggests, and also work with nice thick impasto strokes of pastel.

markusrydh
08-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Jackie, the image is of a wash (mineral spirit on pastel), so I guess that is why it is a bit thin. Now that I know what to do I hope next time it will work better!

Charlie, tried the reverse roll to reduce the c.u.r.l, worked nicely!

Colorix
08-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Good for you, Markus! And filling in the groove comes after the wash.