PDA

View Full Version : One Year Anniversary

Nori
07-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Well, it's been just about a year since I started doing pastels or any art for that matter. Virtually everything I learned came from the people in this forum. (I am still attachment and uploader challenged tho'...so bear with me if this doesn't work.

I have found I like doing figures and faces most. I have tried lots of different subjects and styes trying to uncover my own. Right now the most difficult thing is working in backgrounds, tho' that wasn't too much of a problem with this picture I nabbed from the portrait forum projects. I changed the facial stucture to match a friend of my daughter's. If all goes well...here she is...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2003/12946-diedrersz.jpg

Dyin
07-19-2003, 02:55 PM
I'd say you put that year to good use, Nori! Glad you used uploader too, can look at it while I reply...backgrounds are my nemisis too!!! Happy anniversary! I think overall it is a good painting...especially love the hair! At first I thought her right eye (as I look at it) was bigger but I think the left pupil is a tiny touch small and gives it that effect...I also think you have an affinity for portraiture....hope to see lots more!!!

Drumbeat-trish
07-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Looks like you've cleared alot of milestones - looking good !!!! :)

Mo.
07-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi Nori.... super painting... very soft and glamorous... well done :clap: I like it... as for backgrounds, try putting strokes of complementary colours there as you work the painting, just scumble them in, it will help you with the skin tones.... not many folks like doing backgrounds , but it can be very important to the painting... I generally work the background first.. i.e. depending on wht I'm painting... with a portrait though I will just put some colour there as I work the portrait, then define it as I go along....keep posting... and happy anniversary. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
07-19-2003, 07:56 PM
good info for lots of us Mo...well, Nori and I at least! And Nori, btw, I do like your background with this...

Nori
07-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Thank you, thank you everyone. I have several more pictures to upload so maybe you can give me specific background HELP. You will soon see I sorely need it

I can see the logic of using complimentaries in the background. Do you pick the compliment of the most dominant color in the foreground, or as in the case of figures and faces the compliment to the basic skin tone. In this picture the hair is visually dominant to my eye. Would you pick a compliment to her auburn hair??

And once you have picked a color how is it applied to the background. Should it be the same texture as the foreground. I know the background should recede but I have seen some really luscious hatched backgrounds too (which I have found I am a total disater at...but would love to do)

E-J
07-20-2003, 02:46 AM
Happy Pastelversary! :)

I've only been using pastels for 5 months but once I picked them up they seemed so natural that I ended up making more pictures in the first week than I had done in the previous two years in other media! I have yet to tackle portraits so won't try to advise: I'll just say that I like the textural contrast between the smooth, blended skin and the more loosely worked hair. :clap:

harmony
07-20-2003, 07:17 AM
I only hope I can make this much progress in a years time :) You've obviously learnt quite alot as this looks really good. You should give yourself a pat on the back :clap:

Nori
07-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for looking Harmony. You seem to be where I was this time last year trying everything out and having a blast. Altho' seems as if you have a head start on me with prior experience in different mediums.

Pastels rock!

CarlyHardy
07-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Congratulations on your 1 Year Anniversary! and I can tell by your work that you've put a lot of energy into painting this year. I'll be celebrating my one year anniversary using pastels in Sept....but you are way ahead of me in trying figures! I still haven't faced that challenge yet :)

carly

Nori
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Carly, I seem to recall some gardens you did while back that were astounding!!. Landscapes and gardens ovewhelm me because I cannot seem to prioitize the details and decide what to leave out and what to blur. Best look into working on that.

Thanks for looking