PDA

View Full Version : Derwentwater Floodplain WIP

arnieb
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Did some work on this one today.
Still need to finish off trees on left and lighten up some of the grass on right, (which is a lot darker in the photo than it actually is).
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks Arnie
Oil on canvas 24x12.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2012/192075-mini-Floodplain_-_05.JPG

Yorky
07-31-2012, 02:04 PM
You certaily captured the damp atmosphere.

Incidentally do you follow Ann Bowker's daily Lakeland hiking site? (http://www.keswick.u-net.com/ldp.htm)

Ann is quite happy for you to paint her photos so long as you acknowledge the source.

Doug

arnieb
07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Doug. I had to be quick taking the photo this ones based on - started pooring down as I took it - so couldnt take any more.
Anns site is a joy - love to be able to go for a walk in the fells like that every day - heaven. Arnie

Debzy
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Looking great so far Arnie! I also love the damp drizzly atmosphere you have achieved! You really do have a definite style to your work, I could pick it a mile off without your name attached! Love it. cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
08-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks Debs - getting on with other stuff today as this ones not quite dry enough yet. Arnie

arnieb
08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Just about done on this one now - but I'll leave it for a bit before sticking it in the Open forum. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2012/192075-mini-Floodplain_-_06.JPG

crafor
08-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Seems to me there should be a moose and calves, or a few deer chomping and wading, chest deep, eating the goodies on the bottom...
Very nicely done (except for the aforementioned:D ). It reminds me of the area I lived in years ago.

Ella

Debzy
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like you have misted it up quite a bit! added mist to the trees, highlights to the grassy area and lightened the sky more. Looks great! I love this series of walks you have been delivering, they give one a wholesome feeling and a earning to be there. Cheers =)) Debs. I think Ella has something with the moose and deer ;) :D :thumbsup: :clap:

arnieb
08-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Thanks Ella and Debs.
I preferr this one without any large animals. If I get a lot of comments about it needing a COI then I will resort to putting a bird at the end of the path as that will catch the eye but not discourage viewer from walking down the path - that I think the presence of a deer would.
I have another photo of same back drop taken half an hour later on the other side of the valley - there is no water but colours and scrub are very similar - that has a herd of horses quietly grazing. However at the moment I need to more on and do some local sunny scenes - so thats one to go back to later.
I'm currently working on the last of this series from the lakes. Looking back on them I thought there's no people anywhere - so its getting a couple in the COI. Arnie:wave:

Margaretta
08-08-2012, 05:13 AM
That is such a good depiction of the mist and flood in the Lake district Arnie. Beautiful, mysterious and a tad sharply cold. Lovely colouring. If I had a tiny 'pick' it would be the treetrunks are not graded from the front in strength of colour to add perspective. The lake District can be a very lonely place for the walker. Creatures in this particular view would I think detract from the stillness.

arnieb
08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Margaretta. I'll fix those tree trunks, and leave it without animals and keep the stillness. Arnie

Debzy
08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
I agree, no animals! But it does lend itself to some in the future =)) It is lovely and serene the way it is, I was having a bit of fun with you Arnie. I love this scene. Cheers. =)) Debs

arnieb
08-10-2012, 04:37 AM
I was thinking animals = COI hence my comment - when I was trying to paint the 'mysterious' (good word Margaretta) quality the Lakes can have if your in the right place and time. I get it now. Thanks Debs