PDA

View Full Version : Tunes in Amsterdam.-

AntonioBernal
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-30-2012/1056932_tunesinamsterdam.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Tunes in Amsterdam.-
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a half-imaginary composition, as I used several reference photos for the houses, but the lighting, composition, and boat scene are totally imaginary.

I do play music myself and have been to Amsterdam several times to play music, and I totally love the city...so it was just a matter of time until I did something like this.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any C & C welcome.

leisure artist
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
this is very impressive ,such fine detail and lovely colors...not too sure about the tree ,but others with more experience will give a proper critique...Christine:)

Sasha_M
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
See the middle house? Take out or tone down that white fame, bottom right. It lines up too well with the blue building.

Charming piccie!

Debzy
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I like your style! It is cartoonish but very colourful and lively. I know its not meant to be realistic and you show us a scene that is full of energy and a great impression of what you are imagining. I am impressed! Love your use of colour, very creative and interesting! I don't want to critique because I think it is great! Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Lovely colourful scene. Works for me:thumbsup: Arnie

AntonioBernal
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!

@ Sasha_M do you mean that bit of window frame I highlight in here?

If so I think you are right, I will try to darken it and will upload it again to see if it looks better.

@ Debzy Thanks so much. As you say the style has a strong cartoonish feel and doesn't pursue realism...this is just the way my paintings are coming out so far, and I have fun, so I want to keep exploring in this direction, although I realize my style is slowly evolving over time. However, any feedback in terms of style, composition, perspective, color, anything, would be always most welcome!

Thanks also, leisure_artist and arnieb, glad you like it! :)

Antonio

Andrewcody
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Looks great, nice feel to this

Andrew

dgford
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I like the naiive quality of the composition, painting and concept. My only crit is that my eye is drawn too often to that very powerful light triangle shining down behind the blue building.
Some more of these please!
Geoff

Margaretta
08-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Lots of detail here and finely drawn. Your shadows are excellently placed and sized. A little in the style of Quentin Blake but perhaps more finely finished?
Please make the light glow softly. A really enjoyable experience to look at this.:thumbsup:

AntonioBernal
08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had some time to get back to this and lightened the light coming from that lampost and darkened a bit the window frames that line up with the boat's left side.

Two relatively minor changes, but do you think it's better now?

Thanks! :)

Antonio

Debzy
08-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Hi Antonio, it is lovely! I think the light triangle from the lamp post could be softened slightly along the edges, misted up a little ,thats my only suggestion! I love this. =)) Debs

thatguycraig
08-09-2012, 03:50 AM
wouldnt change a thing - excellent picture, and would make an awsome illustration.

i could imagen your work in books and or / publications on subjects. nice

AntonioBernal
08-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Thanks very much, Debzy, I will do some more work on those lamp posts, I totally see what you mean! :)

thatguycraig thanks, much appreciated!

Antonio

Andrewcody
08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Finger snapping and toe tapping - well done
ANdrew